• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Verizon Pixel XL - Unlocking Discussions

Search This thread

serosis

May 20, 2012
Well I bit the bullet and let him do his work.
He doesn't even make you pay up front, he waits til after it's done.

I cleared an old laptop out and let him connect to that just in case though.

Whole thing was painless except for the fact that you have to factory reset your phone. And with no decent non-root backup method that includes data, that sucked.

bonfire62

Jun 18, 2010
Well I bit the bullet and let him do his work.
He doesn't even make you pay up front, he waits til after it's done.

I cleared an old laptop out and let him connect to that just in case though.

Whole thing was painless except for the fact that you have to factory reset your phone. And with no decent non-root backup method that includes data, that sucked.

do you have his info still? His account on here is deactivated and I cant find him on facebook
edit: nvm found him, plz delete :D

Is anyone using a custom rom after unlocking their VZN pixel? Is there any problems? And do you use Project Fi?

I got mine unlocked and now am using resurrection remix 8.1 - with twrp, magisk, audio and battery mods and xposed. No problems. Still unlocked. It was a vzn uk phone and is now on O2 in Germany.
No idea what project Fi is.

Last edited:
Reactions: godrick15

mattwheat

Oct 25, 2012
BIRMINGHAM
Is anyone using a custom rom after unlocking their VZN pixel? Is there any problems? And do you use Project Fi?
I've flashed most the ROMs in these forums. No issues other than the ones that were my fault from not reading the instructions good. Most ROMs even show in my "Developer Options" the OEM unlocking switch switched to "bootloader unlocked". But my stock room does not. Lol.

tauio111

Feb 27, 2011
I've flashed most the ROMs in these forums. No issues other than the ones that were my fault from not reading the instructions good. Most ROMs even show in my "Developer Options" the OEM unlocking switch switched to "bootloader unlocked". But my stock room does not. Lol.
It has to do with a flag in the build.prop file afaik. The stock rom on verizon has the flag disabled and you have no way of modifying it without root access. Your new rom has the flag either missing or has it enabled.

RunNgun42

Jul 14, 2010
ok so some possibly outdated information in this thread trying to get cleared up. AS OF TODAY, with or without Oreo, can VZW pixels be bootloader unlocked or not? Does the process released in late 2017 still work? The one where you reset to defaults and take it offline and go into dev options and all that stuff?

Homeboy76

Aug 24, 2012
Last edited:

RunNgun42

Jul 14, 2010
[url="https://forum.xda-developers.com/pixel-xl/how-to/how-to-unlock-bootloader-verizon-pixel-t3796030][How-to] Unlock bootloader on Verizon Pixel/XL by burduli[/url]

Link is bad. I've googled but the problem is there's tons of conflicting information on the subject so I'm just nervous that maybe the pixels WERE unlockable, like 2 months ago, but that it has been patched since then, since the original unlock method was posted in 2017.

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Moto X4
Moto G7 Power

dorqus

Sep 2, 2010
NY
ok so some possibly outdated information in this thread trying to get cleared up. AS OF TODAY, with or without Oreo, can VZW pixels be bootloader unlocked or not? Does the process released in late 2017 still work? The one where you reset to defaults and take it offline and go into dev options and all that stuff?
I unlocked mine running June security patch last week or the week before. Now running a custom rom with twrp and Magisk installed. So yes, it can still be done.

Homeboy76

Aug 24, 2012
Link is bad. I've googled but the problem is there's tons of conflicting information on the subject so I'm just nervous that maybe the pixels WERE unlockable, like 2 months ago, but that it has been patched since then, since the original unlock method was posted in 2017.
This unlocking method was discovered 2018-05-27, 8:00AM: [How-to] Unlock bootloader on Verizon Pixel/XL by burduli (Page 1, Post 1) There is no need to be nervous, several Verizon Pixel/Pixel XL owners have unlocked the bootloader with this method. :)

Last edited:

morgan3

Jan 23, 2020
Hi there,

So it has been a long time since the unlocking method was discovered. But since the December update it doesn't work anymore. None of the methods I found work. I tried safe mode + wifi, removing phone, factory resetting a dozen times. Still nothing.

Does anyone have any information about that? I tried removing ALL apps except chrome, settings and a few required ones (permission manager, package installer) with ADB (yeah, you can do that), but no help.

Thanks in advance.

rodken

Jan 11, 2010
Google Pixel XL
OnePlus 8
Hi there,

So it has been a long time since the unlocking method was discovered. But since the December update it doesn't work anymore. None of the methods I found work. I tried safe mode + wifi, removing phone, factory resetting a dozen times. Still nothing.

Does anyone have any information about that? I tried removing ALL apps except chrome, settings and a few required ones (permission manager, package installer) with ADB (yeah, you can do that), but no help.

Thanks in advance.

Assuming that you have tried the 'ol "adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.android.phone" method?

morgan3

Jan 23, 2020
Assuming that you have tried the 'ol "adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.android.phone" method?

Yes. I tried that on three pixels. One had Android 9, another one had Android 10 before December update (not sure which one, though) and the third one with December update.

The first two were unlocked successfully with this method, but the third didn't want to unlock at all.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Lol guys don't bite the only hand with the food, lmao I'm so happy I left all this locked bootloader nonsense years ago. I'll gladly wait til mid November for my unlocked ? pixel xl to come in.

STOP SUPPORTING PEOPLE WHO SELL LOCKED DEVICES
    it's as simple as that don't expect a community based unlock when you are debating purchasing a device. And in all honesty I don't think k I've seen a htc device jcase hasn't unlocked so getting him irritated is just shooting yourselves in the foot
    cc @beaups
    Its over, this is @KrAsH86 's verizon pixel
    https://twitter.com/firewaterdevs/status/791116513939902465

Disable updates if you want to use this IF it gets released

Settings > development options, disable the automatic update
    OK please listen closely..... Please stop all the crap... Let's get back to the purpose of why I started this post. Let's get this thing unlocked. Stop attacking people holy crap. If someone has the unlock and doesn't release it who cares. That just means it can be done. Chill out and just wait. It will happen.
    Wonder if Darth or MTM share this sentiment. Hell Jcase who is a senior moderator is the one who cracks them. Thoroughly confused. Are we being punked?

They must have been threatened by Google or Verizon.

Im the one that asked the post be taken down, it was advocating fraud. I'm all for cracking things, I'm not all for abusing warranty departments. I don't like seeing stricter warranty policies, or more expensive phones/insurance.
    Odds are an update coming in the next week, or maybe two (probably nov 1st-ish) will block the unlock.

Do the following if you want to unlock.
    Developer setting, disable automatic updates (can re-enable after unlock).

Once unlocked, dont relock it for any reason unless you dont care to have it unlocked again.