Verizon Pixel XL - Unlocking Discussions

Search This thread

mdonnelly1127

Oct 11, 2010
Oka noob questions here so please bare with me.... The new update for the Pixel came out today which I did not take yet. I want to know if I unlock my phone can I still take OTA updates? If not, how can I update my device and is there a tutorial or a brief explanation on how to otherwise?

318sugarhill

Aug 31, 2010
My point exactly. It doesn't make sense. I'm starting to question whether or not Google has a clue as to what exactly they are doing.
They absolutely have a clue. We dont

---------- Post added at 01:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 AM ----------

Oka noob questions here so please bare with me.... The new update for the Pixel came out today which I did not take yet. I want to know if I unlock my phone can I still take OTA updates? If not, how can I update my device and is there a tutorial or a brief explanation on how to otherwise?
If you ARE unlocked already, the ota update shouldn't lock it. But If you aren't unlocked already and you take the update, then no you won't be able to unlock it

But... And always remember this, your phone must be completely stock to take an update. No root. No custom kernel. No custom ROM. Chances are the update will fail... But don't risk bad things happening.

Reactions: rpjwalter

neilrl79

Aug 15, 2010
Maryland

Yes, you can still get OTA updates with an unlocked bootloader.

Gizmoe

Sep 6, 2011
Spokane Valley
It still seems it doesn't matter which you use and they are using the same firmwares on Google Store and Verizon devices. I just talked to my buddy from work to be positive I'm not mistaken and he says his is the NDE63P version which is the same as I have on Verizon and his has a T-Mobile sim. I for one don't care either way as many Verizon users have tried flashing all available firmwares with the same results. Literally no difference from one to the other. If you have a Verizon preinstalled sim in your Pixel or Pixel XL the bootloader still requires dePixel8 to unlock and you receive the 3 bloat apps from Verizon. These Pixel devices have been by far the most confusing as far as firware, bootloaders etc to date. Stupid Google and their games. Just make them all the same with the same firmware. Boom, problem solved.

I couldn't agree more. Why are they different if each one can run on any of the other without any noticeable differences or problems. Maybe all U.S. carriers sims update to the Verizon version except for project Fi. And then Europe ones stay on European version, but who knows. Again just speculating. I would like a solid explanation from Google regarding the exact point of each image and who should be using what on what carrier. I'm on project Fi and have yet to receive any update from the L version. I'm curious what mine will update to. I'm guessing V, but we will see.

TechBSwift

Jul 14, 2010
I've read many post about the different models/firmware and they don't line up exactly... I have a Verizon 128gb. The moment I received my pixel in the mail, I've never had one ounce of bloatware. I removed the pre installed sim card, unlocked bootloader, flashed Google Verizon firmware, flashed elemental kernel, rooted, and put in my old Verizon sim from my note 7. I just received an update and the version was v not Verizon x.

rpjwalter

Dec 20, 2010
Rockland, ME
www.limerockinn.com
I'm trying to flash the X factory image to my Verizon pixel with unlocked bootloader and elemental kernel using the flash all batch script. It fails each time. I've update the android sdk. Anyone else have problems?

---------- Post added at 02:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 AM ----------

Is your device a vzw BL unlocked, or google version?

How did you flash the X factory image? Did you use the flash all script? I get error messages.

social-design-concepts

Aug 30, 2012
Cincinnati
I've read many post about the different models/firmware and they don't line up exactly... I have a Verizon 128gb. The moment I received my pixel in the mail, I've never had one ounce of bloatware. I removed the pre installed sim card, unlocked bootloader, flashed Google Verizon firmware, flashed elemental kernel, rooted, and put in my old Verizon sim from my note 7. I just received an update and the version was v not Verizon x.

You unlocked the 128GB VZW without Depixel8 fresh out the box?

jaxenroth

Apr 28, 2011
Langhorne, PA
I'm trying to flash the X factory image to my Verizon pixel with unlocked bootloader and elemental kernel using the flash all batch script. It fails each time. I've update the android sdk. Anyone else have problems?

---------- Post added at 02:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 AM ----------

How did you flash the X factory image? Did you use the flash all script? I get error messages.
You need to have the file in your adb folder and put the phone into fastboot and enter "fastboot flash boot_a EX-PXL-0.05.img"

rpjwalter

Dec 20, 2010
Rockland, ME
www.limerockinn.com
Ok so I have unlocked my VZW Pixel bootloader with the depixel8 and have rooted and installed elemental X kernel. I have just downloaded the X Factory Image and extracted in the platform-tools folder. My android SDK is up to date. When I run the flash-all script it starts to go along well and then fails. See screenshot. I get a message: FAILED (remote: partition [bootb] doesn't exist) . When I'm in the bootloader is does say Boot-
GTjUxxHBtVAhysLV7
slot: b. Any thoughts as to why this is failing? Is there another way to flash the factory image without using the script.

lyall29

Apr 4, 2011
Arkadelphia, AR
Ok so I have unlocked my VZW Pixel bootloader with the depixel8 and have rooted and installed elemental X kernel. I have just downloaded the X Factory Image and extracted in the platform-tools folder. My android SDK is up to date. When I run the flash-all script it starts to go along well and then fails. See screenshot. I get a message: FAILED (remote: partition [bootb] doesn't exist) . When I'm in the bootloader is does say Boot-
GTjUxxHBtVAhysLV7
slot: b. Any thoughts as to why this is failing? Is there another way to flash the factory image without using the script.
Download minimal adb and fastboot version1.4.1
-http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2317790
Once you install 1.4.1, put the factory image in the folder with Minimal adb and fastboot. Boot into the bootloader and double click on flash-all.bat.

Edit... Look at the picture I uploaded, copy all of the files on the right and paste them in the folder on the left or just drag and drop them. Then double click flash-all.bat. This will work for sure
e817784b9c22d94071b642365e3e70a3.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using XDA-Developers mobile app

Last edited:

rpjwalter

Dec 20, 2010
Rockland, ME
www.limerockinn.com
download minimal adb and fastboot version1.4.1
-http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2317790
once you install 1.4.1, put the factory image in the folder with minimal adb and fastboot. Boot into the bootloader and double click on flash-all.bat.

Edit... Look at the picture i uploaded, copy all of the files on the right and paste them in the folder on the left or just drag and drop them. Then double click flash-all.bat. This will work for sure
e817784b9c22d94071b642365e3e70a3.jpg

sent from my pixel xl using xda-developers mobile app

you are my hero! Worked like a charm!!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Lol guys don't bite the only hand with the food, lmao I'm so happy I left all this locked bootloader nonsense years ago. I'll gladly wait til mid November for my unlocked ? pixel xl to come in.

STOP SUPPORTING PEOPLE WHO SELL LOCKED DEVICES
    it's as simple as that don't expect a community based unlock when you are debating purchasing a device. And in all honesty I don't think k I've seen a htc device jcase hasn't unlocked so getting him irritated is just shooting yourselves in the foot
    cc @beaups
    Its over, this is @KrAsH86 's verizon pixel
    https://twitter.com/firewaterdevs/status/791116513939902465

Disable updates if you want to use this IF it gets released

Settings > development options, disable the automatic update
    OK please listen closely..... Please stop all the crap... Let's get back to the purpose of why I started this post. Let's get this thing unlocked. Stop attacking people holy crap. If someone has the unlock and doesn't release it who cares. That just means it can be done. Chill out and just wait. It will happen.
    Wonder if Darth or MTM share this sentiment. Hell Jcase who is a senior moderator is the one who cracks them. Thoroughly confused. Are we being punked?

They must have been threatened by Google or Verizon.

Im the one that asked the post be taken down, it was advocating fraud. I'm all for cracking things, I'm not all for abusing warranty departments. I don't like seeing stricter warranty policies, or more expensive phones/insurance.
    Odds are an update coming in the next week, or maybe two (probably nov 1st-ish) will block the unlock.

Do the following if you want to unlock.
    Developer setting, disable automatic updates (can re-enable after unlock).

Once unlocked, dont relock it for any reason unless you dont care to have it unlocked again.