Verizon Pixel XL - Unlocking Discussions

Search This thread

schwem

Oct 15, 2014
Auburn Hills
So I have a Verizon Pixel 128GB used on Verizon that I unlocked the bootloader on using depixel8. I'm not rooted because I haven't felt the need to. Anyway, I took the Nov OTA and currently have NDE63V instead of X. No issues and bootloader still unlocked. Just posting for the FYI.
Thanks for the update. My devices is in the same state. (Verizon unlocked bootloader on NDE63P) I was rooted but have since flashed the full image file "P" and am back to stock with unlocked bootloader. I was hoping we could take the OTA with unlocked bootloader. Thanks for the update.

---------- Post added at 04:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:41 PM ----------

By doing this, unlocking Verizon Pixel, then flashing stock Google Build, have we stripped the hardware of thinking it was ever a Verizon device? Meaning, has the phone transformed in a way that it's like you bought the phone direct from Google?
Nope. Not at all. I tried every firmware Google has posted and each time the bootloader unlock remained greyed out and I received bloat from Verizon upon setup. I don't think it makes a difference whatsoever and most people are speculating that what makes it a Verizon variant is the CID/IMEI that is attatched to the device. No changes occur upon flashing any of the firmwares. Sorry to be the barer of bad news.

Reactions: jmileti
Dec 11, 2014
Thanks for the update. My devices is in the same state. (Verizon unlocked bootloader on NDE63P) I was rooted but have since flashed the full image file "P" and am back to stock with unlocked bootloader. I was hoping we could take the OTA with unlocked bootloader. Thanks for the update.

---------- Post added at 04:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:41 PM ----------

Nope. Not at all. I tried every firmware Google has posted and each time the bootloader unlock remained greyed out and I received bloat from Verizon upon setup. I don't think it makes a difference whatsoever and most people are speculating that what makes it a Verizon variant is the CID/IMEI that is attatched to the device. No changes occur upon flashing any of the firmwares. Sorry to be the barer of bad news.
Interesting.

Back with the HTC M7, I had a carrier version that was then software flashed to the GE (Google Edition), and it worked out great.

My thought is, I can aquire a Verizon Pixel, but would be using AT&T SIM. As I understand they are already factory SIM unlocked for cross carrier use, but I was thinking we could also strip whatever carrier coding has occurred, if any.

That way my OTA'S would come from AT&T or Google direct even, and the phone would no longer know it was Verizon carrier sold.

I just want all AT&T services to work, including HD Voice, AT&T video calling, AT&T wifi calling.

Unless of course someone has already gone through this exact scenario and can confirm or deny what services work, having bought the device on Verizon and using it on AT&T.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

alluringreality

Apr 17, 2011
I just want all AT&T services to work, including HD Voice, AT&T video calling, AT&T wifi calling.

The online discussions I've read generally seem to suggest that items like HD Voice at AT&T require their postpaid service and an AT&T certified phone, such as the AT&T phones they sell and a few specific unlocked models. Basically I think you would need Google to pay to certify their phones at AT&T. I've read that HTC has some unlocked AT&T certified phones, but I haven't ran across anything suggesting that the Pixel phones have been or will be certified at AT&T. Until you find people reporting otherwise, it's probably reasonable to assume that items like HD Voice will not be expected to work at AT&T with these phones.

lyall29

Apr 4, 2011
Arkadelphia, AR
I'm on at&t with a Verizon Pixel. I don't see any setting for WiFi calling or HD voice.

Sent from my Pixel XL using XDA-Developers mobile app

---------- Post added at 11:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 AM ----------

I didn't return to stock before side loading the OTA booted to recovery then power plus volume up once selected adb side load OTA then did it rebooted to bootloader then flashed kernel then root and I'm on ned63x ex kernel and rooted it also didn't wipe anything
So you were rooted and had a custom kernel when you side loaded the OTA? If so then that's what I'll do next time.

psychatog64

Jan 27, 2011
I'm on at&t with a Verizon Pixel. I don't see any setting for WiFi calling or HD voice.

---------- Post added at 11:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 AM ----------

So you were rooted and had a custom kernel when you side loaded the OTA? If so then that's what I'll do next time.
Yes sir

Reactions: lyall29

Shuthefrontdoor

May 15, 2012
I have att and bought a verizpn pixel xl from best buy, popped sim in worked right away, it didn't have Verizon apps but it had a few Verizon services that you can disable easily, it does not support att HD voice, I didn't expect it too, and I don't see any option for wifi calling, att will never push ota updates for pixel because they don't sell it, and it really doesn't matter who u get the ota from (Google/Verizon) they really are the same. With that said, I really love the pixel, my last phone was a s7e which I loved but this seems like a different kinda animal

defens23

Jan 22, 2012

Sorry for so many noob questions. Can you post instructions on how to flash back to the "P" image? If I understand you correctly, this will unroot you and not re-lock your bootloader, correct? Then I would be able to sideload the OTA, right? Is this where you go to get the stock image for the Verizon phone?

https://developers.google.com/android/images

7.1.0 (NDE63P, Oct 2016) Link dcdaaa51d4b4c0a67c4b670f76fe53b852b38d7b2ce65399ac56799bfc1ca7bb

Last edited:

schwem

Oct 15, 2014
Auburn Hills
Ok. Is it easy to go completely back to stock if I ever need to?
Yes sir it is. I personally do it with Minimal adb and fastboot. I use android studio to install the latest sdk version, then I download the image I want to flash, unzip it then find the folder with your devices name on it and unzip the contents of tat folder. Then you can just copy and paste the partition images (contents of that folder) into the Minimal adb and fastboot folder. Once this is done you can double click the flash_all.bat file and it will flash all the partitions onto your phone. Make sure you are in your bootloader when doing this. I just enable adb debugging in dev options and adb reboot bootloader in Minimal adb and fastboot terminal. That way Minimal adb is already ready to go when you're ready to flash the images. Once in your bootloader double click the flash_all.bat and it will flash the partitions for you. If you wish to keep user data you can edit the flash_all.bat file and remove the -w from it. Also delete the user data file in the folder that contains all the partitions including the flash_all.bat file. I know I jumped around a bit during this explanation but it was all off the top of my head so I didn't wanna leave anything out. Hope this helps. It's also been discussed several times in this thread.

Reactions: Jalh

cam30era

Recognized Contributor
Nov 20, 2010
Columbus, Indiana
Then you can just copy and paste the partition images (contents of that folder) into the Minimal adb and fastboot folder.

In the days before Android 2.2, a good number of people used to place their various projects and applications in the directories where the necessary tools they used existed. This was in itself a very flawed method because it cluttered up the directories, and while cleaning up the SDK, one might accidentally delete a crucial file, which will cause the SDK to fail and having to completely reinstall everything.

Modifying the PATH Environment Variable will help out immensely when it comes down to making use of SDK tools like ADB. Doing this will also allow you to execute certain protocols like ADB from ANY location. So if you're operating from the Desktop, you don't have to redirect to the SDK's platform-tools folder to make use of ADB if you need to make use of it.

---------- Post added at 02:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:16 PM ----------

The only way around it is if you flash a custom kernel that masks the security check warning.

Which kernel masks the security check warning?

krypto1300

Jul 28, 2010

I have the same setup and did the same procedure and it worked perfectly.

Reactions: lyall29

acheney1990

Oct 29, 2013
Saint Stephen
Yes sir it is. I personally do it with Minimal adb and fastboot. I use android studio to install the latest sdk version, then I download the image I want to flash, unzip it then find the folder with your devices name on it and unzip the contents of tat folder. Then you can just copy and paste the partition images (contents of that folder) into the Minimal adb and fastboot folder. Once this is done you can double click the flash_all.bat file and it will flash all the partitions onto your phone. Make sure you are in your bootloader when doing this. I just enable adb debugging in dev options and adb reboot bootloader in Minimal adb and fastboot terminal. That way Minimal adb is already ready to go when you're ready to flash the images. Once in your bootloader double click the flash_all.bat and it will flash the partitions for you. If you wish to keep user data you can edit the flash_all.bat file and remove the -w from it. Also delete the user data file in the folder that contains all the partitions including the flash_all.bat file. I know I jumped around a bit during this explanation but it was all off the top of my head so I didn't wanna leave anything out. Hope this helps. It's also been discussed several times in this thread.
Where do you get the stuff to set up the minimumul adb.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Lol guys don't bite the only hand with the food, lmao I'm so happy I left all this locked bootloader nonsense years ago. I'll gladly wait til mid November for my unlocked ? pixel xl to come in.

STOP SUPPORTING PEOPLE WHO SELL LOCKED DEVICES
    it's as simple as that don't expect a community based unlock when you are debating purchasing a device. And in all honesty I don't think k I've seen a htc device jcase hasn't unlocked so getting him irritated is just shooting yourselves in the foot
    cc @beaups
    Its over, this is @KrAsH86 's verizon pixel
    https://twitter.com/firewaterdevs/status/791116513939902465

Disable updates if you want to use this IF it gets released

Settings > development options, disable the automatic update
    OK please listen closely..... Please stop all the crap... Let's get back to the purpose of why I started this post. Let's get this thing unlocked. Stop attacking people holy crap. If someone has the unlock and doesn't release it who cares. That just means it can be done. Chill out and just wait. It will happen.
    Wonder if Darth or MTM share this sentiment. Hell Jcase who is a senior moderator is the one who cracks them. Thoroughly confused. Are we being punked?

They must have been threatened by Google or Verizon.

Im the one that asked the post be taken down, it was advocating fraud. I'm all for cracking things, I'm not all for abusing warranty departments. I don't like seeing stricter warranty policies, or more expensive phones/insurance.
    Odds are an update coming in the next week, or maybe two (probably nov 1st-ish) will block the unlock.

Do the following if you want to unlock.
    Developer setting, disable automatic updates (can re-enable after unlock).

Once unlocked, dont relock it for any reason unless you dont care to have it unlocked again.