• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Verizon Pixel XL - Unlocking Discussions

Search This thread

schwem

Oct 15, 2014
Auburn Hills
Never heard of one myself or even the need for it. If one doesn't want a security warning. Then they should lock their device. Pretty straight forward. It would seem like a lot of work for a dev to do for something that is actually working as intended.
I don't think any current kernels for the Pixel devices do this but I know they could in the past. Also, it's not as simple as locking ones bootloader for EE users or Verizon users. The warning is necessary but unwelcome as if your bootloader is unlocked you most likely know it is. Either way, Verizon users and European users whom have the need for dePixel8 to have an unlocked bootloader will not be relocking their bootloaders as it's only a matter of time before you will no longer have an unlock method. The root ninja crew said themselves, if you want to have an unlocked bootloader on Verizon and on locked European devices then you need to leave it unlocked. I for one am no gambler and have no desire to close my window of opportunity so my bootloader will remain unlocked as long as I own the device so a mask for the unnecessary warning would be welcome.

Gizmoe

Sep 6, 2011
Spokane Valley
I don't think any current kernels for the Pixel devices do this but I know they could in the past. Also, it's not as simple as locking ones bootloader for EE users or Verizon users. The warning is necessary but unwelcome as if your bootloader is unlocked you most likely know it is. Either way, Verizon users and European users whom have the need for dePixel8 to have an unlocked bootloader will not be relocking their bootloaders as it's only a matter of time before you will no longer have an unlock method. The root ninja crew said themselves, if you want to have an unlocked bootloader on Verizon and on locked European devices then you need to leave it unlocked. I for one am no gambler and have no desire to close my window of opportunity so my bootloader will remain unlocked as long as I own the device so a mask for the unnecessary warning would be welcome.

I'm not saying to lock it. I'm just saying that warning is there as a result of unlocking and is in no way a problem. It's supposed to be there when unlocked. It also is just a quick couple of seconds on the screen. It in no way effects the device or its security beyond what has all ready been done by unlocking. It's a non issue. It would be a waste of time for a dev to even consider.

schwem

Oct 15, 2014
Auburn Hills
I'm not saying to lock it. I'm just saying that warning is there as a result of unlocking and is in no way a problem. It's supposed to be there when unlocked. It also is just a quick couple of seconds on the screen. It in no way effects the device or its security beyond what has all ready been done by unlocking. It's a non issue. It would be a waste of time for a dev to even consider.
Says you! Haha, jk. I couldn't care less. I have honestly rebooted this device less than any other I've owned so I rarely see it anyway. My Note 7 needed a reboot at least twice daily and my G3 3 to 4 times. The Pixel XL just seems to function properly and I haven't had a long-term freeze-up yet. Aside from flashing and rooting I rarely see it. It really is a non-issue but I would rather it not exist at all. No biggie

Reactions: Gizmoe

treIII

Jul 10, 2012
Google Pixel 5
I have a question for those of u who have updated one way or another. Have any of you noticed that the whites on the phone do not seem as white. Such as in settings? I side loaded the V build and I definitely notice a difference. My comparison is against the Nexus 6p that I have. Before I updated there was very much a difference in the two when comparing the whites. Now they are kind of similar. Thanks to those who may check and see if they notice a difference

schwem

Oct 15, 2014
Auburn Hills
I have a question for those of u who have updated one way or another. Have any of you noticed that the whites on the phone do not seem as white. Such as in settings? I side loaded the V build and I definitely notice a difference. My comparison is against the Nexus 6p that I have. Before I updated there was very much a difference in the two when comparing the whites. Now they are kind of similar. Thanks to those who may check and see if they notice a difference
You know I have nothing to compare against but now that you mention it it does seem kind of off white compared to the pure white it was. This is gonna drive me nuts now. I think I'm going to flash the "P" build to see if I can notice any difference.

treIII

Jul 10, 2012
Google Pixel 5
You know I have nothing to compare against but now that you mention it it does seem kind of off white compared to the pure white it was. This is gonna drive me nuts now. I think I'm going to flash the "P" build to see if I can notice any difference.

My theory is that yes u will notice a difference. Do a screen shot of your settings now. Then do one after in the same setting and compare the two. It's definitely not as white on my end

M9guy

Nov 9, 2014
Never heard of one myself or even the need for it. If one doesn't want a security warning. Then they should lock their device. Pretty straight forward. It would seem like a lot of work for a dev to do for something that is actually working as intended.

That may be your opinion but many dont want to be reminded of verizon crap every time they boot. This is why on the Htc forums the devs have always removed the security warnings. The other user is correct if you have the ability to unlock your bootloader and chose to of your own free will then you have the right to remove their crap that tries to get you to relock your bootloader. Removing this is just a middle finger up to big red and another win on taking back our devices from verizon's control.

Gizmoe

Sep 6, 2011
Spokane Valley
That may be your opinion but many dont want to be reminded of verizon crap every time they boot. This is why on the Htc forums the devs have always removed the security warnings. The other user is correct if you have the ability to unlock your bootloader and chose to of your own free will then you have the right to remove their crap that tries to get you to relock your bootloader. Removing this is just a middle finger up to big red and another win on taking back our devices from verizon's control.

It has nothing to do with Verizon. It's a Google thing. It was part of the 6P as well.

https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/6185381?p=verified_boot

schwem

Oct 15, 2014
Auburn Hills
Anyone here have an unlocked bootloader on Verizon but are not rooted receive the update? I have yet to receive the update. People are stating they're getting theirs with an unlocked bootloader but I have yet to receive it. I'll most likely sideload the NDE63V update anyways but I was just curious if everyone has been automatically receiving the update or not with unlocked bootloaders.

MichaelMcC

Sep 11, 2011
Anyone here have an unlocked bootloader on Verizon but are not rooted receive the update? I have yet to receive the update. People are stating they're getting theirs with an unlocked bootloader but I have yet to receive it. I'll most likely sideload the NDE63V update anyways but I was just curious if everyone has been automatically receiving the update or not with unlocked bootloaders.
I've been unlocked and rooted as soon as the exploits became available. I GOT the OTA update night before last but have not allowed it to install yet.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using XDA-Developers mobile app

Shuthefrontdoor

May 15, 2012

I have a Verizon unlocked bootloader on att without root and I received the ota yesterday, I manually check for update but it did show I'm in USA if it matters

kfirnevo

Jul 21, 2013
Atlit
Just unlocked my Verizon Pixel and it's great!!!

But I want to know if I can flash the stock Google image and than get updates from Google (yes, I'm very hesitant about the updates from Verizon).
And if not, will I be able to get updates from the beta program to the next beta version???

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Lol guys don't bite the only hand with the food, lmao I'm so happy I left all this locked bootloader nonsense years ago. I'll gladly wait til mid November for my unlocked ? pixel xl to come in.

STOP SUPPORTING PEOPLE WHO SELL LOCKED DEVICES
    it's as simple as that don't expect a community based unlock when you are debating purchasing a device. And in all honesty I don't think k I've seen a htc device jcase hasn't unlocked so getting him irritated is just shooting yourselves in the foot
    cc @beaups
    Its over, this is @KrAsH86 's verizon pixel
    https://twitter.com/firewaterdevs/status/791116513939902465

Disable updates if you want to use this IF it gets released

Settings > development options, disable the automatic update
    OK please listen closely..... Please stop all the crap... Let's get back to the purpose of why I started this post. Let's get this thing unlocked. Stop attacking people holy crap. If someone has the unlock and doesn't release it who cares. That just means it can be done. Chill out and just wait. It will happen.
    Wonder if Darth or MTM share this sentiment. Hell Jcase who is a senior moderator is the one who cracks them. Thoroughly confused. Are we being punked?

They must have been threatened by Google or Verizon.

Im the one that asked the post be taken down, it was advocating fraud. I'm all for cracking things, I'm not all for abusing warranty departments. I don't like seeing stricter warranty policies, or more expensive phones/insurance.
    Odds are an update coming in the next week, or maybe two (probably nov 1st-ish) will block the unlock.

Do the following if you want to unlock.
    Developer setting, disable automatic updates (can re-enable after unlock).

Once unlocked, dont relock it for any reason unless you dont care to have it unlocked again.