Verizon S3 Straighttalk no go

Search This thread

swoonef

May 14, 2011
So after searching many forums and realizing that i get a different answer on every page I called Straighttalk to see if i could register my phone with them....after taking my IMEI and model number (SCH-I535) I told her it was a dual band phone with both CDMA and GSM she said it was not eligible.

At first she said i was good but then after entering some more information she said the dual-band technology was not supported.

Maybe i can try and call again and see if i get someone else...given that i have read a few cases where it is working.

Just wanted to run this by everyone on the forum and let you know what i was told straight from the horses mouth.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Regards,

George

swoonef

May 14, 2011
Here is the latest update....

i took the sim card out of my current T-mobile ST phone cut it to micro sim size and installed into S3.

I set the phone to Global mode and I can call and receive text message but yet no data or MMS.

Next step will be to change my APN settings hopefully and that should do the trick.

Here is the latest update....

i took the sim card out of my current T-mobile ST phone cut it to micro sim size and installed into S3.

I set the phone to Global mode and I can call and receive text message but yet no data or MMS.

Next step will be to change my APN settings hopefully and that should do the trick.

That should do it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

If I've helped, please hit the thanks button

Wrngway

Jan 19, 2013
Please post an update if you change the apn and get the data working!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

preusstang

Jan 13, 2011
Unfortunately, I sincerely doubt you will get data working with GSM. The only way as of now to use ST with data is to use a donor VZW phone to flash over on CDMA. There's a bounty thread here in the general section to enable the GSM bands. Check it out yo.

Unfortunately, I sincerely doubt you will get data working with GSM. The only way as of now to use ST with data is to use a donor VZW phone to flash over on CDMA. There's a bounty thread here in the general section to enable the GSM bands. Check it out yo.

That's not true. You can get edge data. Just not 3g. GSM is fine. Just not HSPA+

preusstang

Jan 13, 2011
That's not true. You can get edge data. Just not 3g. GSM is fine. Just not HSPA+

Lol. Technically yeah but you know exactly what I meant. If someone wants data they're not gonna be happy with edge.

KennyG123

Senior Moderator / Mod Committee / Spider-Mod
Staff member
Nov 1, 2010
Right behind you!
Please read forum rules before posting
Questions and Help issues go in Q&A and Help section
Thread moved
Thank you for your cooperation
Friendly Neighborhood Moderator

swoonef

May 14, 2011
Thanks everyone for all the feedback. I rooted the phone yesterday and enabled the option to add a new APN. But thats where i stopped. I guess EDGE speeds are really slow but I will look into the flashing if all else fails.