• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Very slow charging when the screen is on

Search This thread

dwang

Nov 23, 2008
Has anybody noticed that if you have the screen on, the battery charges extremely slowly.

I've noticed that w the screen on using gsam, the battery is only being charged at 500mah whereas if the screen is off, it is being charged at 2200mah.

I get it that the phone will charge slower w the screen on, but it shouldn't be this bad.

Here's a screenshot, you can see that I started charging a little before 4pm and after 50 min it only charged aroudn 10%.

Once I turn the screen off it will start charging very fast. But it shouldn't be charging this slowly w the screen on.

2268321cf05480c64ce4087d6d8f450a.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mecasull

Mar 17, 2011
Last night (the first time I charged it) my battery did not charge at all when the screen was on. It was a straight flat line. I was using the stock charger, and the lock.screen showed it was in rapid charge. It was perplexing.

I did not experience this today when I charged it.

dwang

Nov 23, 2008
So today when u had the screen on, the battery was being charged quickly?

Can u install gsam battery monitor and check your mah?

I want to know whether my phone or charger is defective or is it normal.

Last edited:

nyjumpman

Aug 16, 2012
NYC
I've noticed the same thing. Battery was down to 15% when I got off work yesterday. I left the screen on, plugged it into my car (which should be a rapid charge), and streamed some youtube videos via Bluetooth.

Got home 45 mins later and the phone had charged to 18%

dwang

Nov 23, 2008
Thanks I can't believe none of the reviews mentioned this.

This is a deal breaker for me. I use my phone all the time plugged in. If it's barely charging then that's not acceptable.

So I let my phone charge for 30min w the screen off and it charged 55%, which is great but I need it to charge faster w the screen on.

e4ea6ffecbe925e5f1b48f098876e6ed.jpg

Last edited:

frigidazzi

Apr 21, 2011
Nexus Player
OnePlus 5
This was the exact reason I returned my g4 back when it was new. Hardly anyone else seemed to have an issue with this, but I use it in my car all the time so it was a huge deal to me. Maybe it's the 808? I wonder if the 6p has the same problem since it's a different soc

dwang

Nov 23, 2008
I hope the 6p doesn't have this issue because if it does I'm switching to the iPhone.

It's inexcusable that Google would let something like this get past qa.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 4Freedom

Hayth

Feb 15, 2012
Leicester
I've just installed GSam and tested and it shows charging at 1700 - 2200ma whilst the screen is on.

dwang

Nov 23, 2008
Thanks. I'm hoping i just have a defective charger or phone battery.

Maybe the battery is reporting incorrect temp.

This happens if I'm just doing regular browsing. The back of the phone doesn't feel hot at all.

This is my battery temp while charging

a5fcaf0cea0f2fc2986f60ed878eabd6.jpg

Last edited:

ghettopops

Mar 6, 2006
I've noticed the same thing. Battery was down to 15% when I got off work yesterday. I left the screen on, plugged it into my car (which should be a rapid charge), and streamed some youtube videos via Bluetooth.

Ha-ha hope you weren't the driver.
Seriously though, I normally drive home at night and stream and charge as well. Will have to try this out Monday night.

dwang

Nov 23, 2008
Ha-ha hope you weren't the driver.
Seriously though, I normally drive home at night and stream and charge as well. Will have to try this out Monday night.

whenever I game, I typically plug in, so if my battery is not charging very much thats a big deal.

I'm hoping I have a defective battery or charger, but I would like to get input from others to see if they are experiencing the same issue.

Again, never had this problem with any other nexus device. Only the 5x. Have a 6p on order, will test that out when I get it.

bblzd

Nov 6, 2013
Toronto
whenever I game, I typically plug in, so if my battery is not charging very much thats a big deal.

I'm hoping I have a defective battery or charger, but I would like to get input from others to see if they are experiencing the same issue.

Again, never had this problem with any other nexus device. Only the 5x. Have a 6p on order, will test that out when I get it.

If you're gaming then the phone is thermal throttling, if you're throttling then the phone will slow down charge speeds to protect the battery. That sounds like normal operation to me.

No one likes to hear this but you honestly shouldn't be gaming while charging the battery as high heat while charging degrades it. Situations like gaming or GPS navigation in a hot car can be some of the hottest scenarios for a phone.

Lastly, the faster a phone charges the more heat it produces. I've instantly noticed how plugging in a 5x it heats up much quicker and faster than the N5 because it is charging up to 3000mA per second. LG and Google both know that faster charging is already degrading the battery faster (a trade of between speed and longevity) and have more than likely put in safety precautions to protect it from heat exposure during that time.

You can hear it directly from Google as well:

Battery lifespan, charging & usage tips

2. Keep it cool

Avoid situations where your device can overheat. Your battery will drain much faster when it's hot, even if you're not using it, and this can even damage your battery. Bear in mind that your device warms up when it's plugged in, so try not to keep it charging all the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: blinkin

dwang

Nov 23, 2008
I don't mind if it charges slower like maybe 1000mah, but it's charging at less than 500mah even if I'm just browsing or just idling w the screen on.

I think I must have defective battery or charger.

mecasull

Mar 17, 2011
I'm wondering if there's a conditioning period. First charge, flat line with screen on. Second charge, projected time to fill was a touch over 3 hours. Third time, under 90 minutes... Coming from the 1-2% range each time.

ghettopops

Mar 6, 2006

OK briefly tried out this. I turned off wifi and plugged in Nx, started up Order and Chaos 2(which will drain my N10 pretty quick and charger just slows down the drain). I played for 2-3 mins and I charged from 91-95%. I don't think that Netflix (which I stream on way home from work) will be more intensive.

I have been driving and charging, while streaming, for years. Personally don't think I have hurt any of my phones. Although I am no expert so who knows.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I usually drive when I'm driving.
    So ran phone down to 48%(2 hr 15 min SoT) and plugged in charger and started up Order and Chaos 2 and played for 10 mins and then quit and checked battery level.....47% so looks like at least with hard gaming it won't charge while using. Going to try Netflix and will check back. So far a negative aspect, need to see how it performs more to decide if I can live with or swap out for 6p.

So, 10 mins of Netflix(LTE) and it charged 2%.

So I did some investigation and basically there is a file in /etc/system/thermal-engine-8992.conf that controls the various thermal properties of the phone. From what I can see in the file, If the battery temperature goes above 36 degrees C, the kernel is going to throttle the battery charge rate. If it goes above 39 degrees C, the battery will not get charged.

So there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the phone or the charger, thats just how google has configured it.

My guess is, rapid charging increases the battery temperature so much that google wants your screen to be off to charge it at that rate.

Code:
    [battery_monitor]
    algo_type        monitor
    sensor           xo_batt
    sampling         10000
    thresholds       36000                  39000
    thresholds_clr   34000                  38000
    actions          battery                battery
    action_info      0                      3
    could you share your thermal-engine-8992.conf? or the exact ones you changed please :)

Unzip the file and replace with the original one.
    Ive also increased throttling temperature for the cpu. This is currently my setup. Phone gets hot fast though.

Edit : battery is likely to drain a bit more because cpu is not throttled early and will stay at higher clock for a longer duration.
    Has anybody noticed that if you have the screen on, the battery charges extremely slowly.

I've noticed that w the screen on using gsam, the battery is only being charged at 500mah whereas if the screen is off, it is being charged at 2200mah.

I get it that the phone will charge slower w the screen on, but it shouldn't be this bad.

Here's a screenshot, you can see that I started charging a little before 4pm and after 50 min it only charged aroudn 10%.

Once I turn the screen off it will start charging very fast. But it shouldn't be charging this slowly w the screen on.

2268321cf05480c64ce4087d6d8f450a.jpg

Update
    Couldn't arrive at anything conclusive. Only have a bunch of screenshots lol.
    Charged the phone from 3:55 pm to 5:35 pm. So in 1 hr and 40 mins of charging with screen on, it went from 4% to 84%. However, during this period I only had Ampere open so there wasn't anything CPU-intensive going on. The intention was to find out the charging rate at different temperatures.
    According to my thermal-engine-8992.conf and my understanding of it (or lack thereof), the threshold temps are 36°C and 39°C, and thresholds_clr are 34°C and 38°C. Now I'm not entirely sure at which temperature the throttling starts, but from my observations I'd say it is at 39°C.

Screenshot 1: Time: 3:58 pm. In 3 minutes of charging, it went from 4% to 7%. But as soon as the temp crossed 39°C, the amps dropped from 2670 mA to ~500 mA. Temp: 39.2°C
    Screenshot 2: Time: 4:02 pm. It went from 7% to 10% in 4 minutes. Amps: ~500 mA. Temp: 39.2°C
    Screenshot 3: Time: 4:17 pm. It went from 10% to 21% in 15 minutes. Amps: momentarily at ~2640 mA before dropping. Temp: 38.2°C
    Screenshot 4: Time: 4:20 pm. It went from 21% to 23% in 3 minutes. Amps: dropped to ~500 mA. Temp: 40°C
    Screenshot 5: Same stats as above. Time: 4:20. Level: 23%. Amps: momentary jump to ~2670 mA. Temp: 40°C
    -At this point I reduced my interaction with the device in hopes that the temperature will drop below the 38°C threshold, and it did-​
    Screenshot 6: Time: 4:26 pm. It went from 23% to 28% in 6 minutes. Amps: ~2660 mA. Temp: 37.5°C
    Screenshot 7: Time: 4:36 pm. It went from 28% to 33% in 10 minutes. Amps: ~2670 mA before dropping. Temp: 39.5°C
    -Now I wanted to get the temperature well below the threshold, so I grabbed a bunch of stuff from the freezer and buried the 5X. Things started to get a bit interesting here. Regardless of how low the temperature was, the phone never drew more than 1840 mA-​
    Screenshot 8: Time: 4:48 pm. It went from 33% to 44% in 12 minutes. Amps: ~1840 mA. Temp: 33.7°C
    Screenshot 9: Time: 4:55 pm. It went from 44% to 54% in 7 minutes. Amps: 1840 mA. Temp: 29.7°C
    -I wanted to get the temperature back up to the threshold, so I fired up YouTube and removed the icepack-​
    Screenshot 10: Time: 5:07 pm. It went from 54% to 68% in 12 minutes. Amps: eventually dropped to ~520 mA from 1840 mA. Temp: 37.2°C
    -Brought the icepack back on to check if temperature reduction would increased the charging rate. However, the draw was limited to ~1000 mA this time regardless of the low temperature-​
    Screenshots 11: Time: 5:21 pm. It went from 68% to 75% in 14 minutes. Amps: ~970 mA. Temp: 33°C
    Screenshots 12: Time: 5:24 pm. It went from 75% to 77% in 3 minutes. Amps: ~1090 mA. Temp: 33°C
    Time: 5:35 pm. It went from 77% to 84% in 10 minutes. Amps: ~1090 mA. Temp: 33°C
    Screenshots 13 & 14: Gsam graphs

Observations: (This is in no way definitive and I do not claim it to be accurate as there can be inconsistensies due to various factors.)
    -At over 39°C, charging slows down to ~500 mA
    -Once below 38°C, at around 37.5°C, the charging picks up. ~2600 mA
    -At the mid-way point when the battery is between 33% and 60%, the 5X seems to draw ~1800 mA even at low temperatures
    -From about 65% to 85%, the draw is ~1000 mA with the temperatures well below the threshold
    -Charging speed does not depend on the temperature alone. Even if the temperatures are low, actually using the device brings the charging rate to a crawl.

I'll do more low-temp tests when I have some free time, and also with a MXPE 25W charger to see if it'll perform better than USB C with the screen on.