Vibrant wont load past galaxy S screen but buttons still light up

Search This thread

holiday5804

Jan 24, 2008
Minneapolis, MN
So, I was in the recovery mode and accidently bumped the power button when it was on "delete davlick cache" or something similar and now the phone goes to the galaxy s screen, hangs a while, and the screen goes blank and will not load. The buttons do light up still however. I have tried the odin steps to repair a soft brick using odin 1.0 and 1.3 and I have tried both JVD and JI6, nothing will get the phone going. I have followed the directions to a T so I am wondering if anyone else has any ideas. FYI I have spent the last 3 hours reading and trying methods already described, which is why I am posting a new thread. Thanks in advance for any help.

ShinyBuddha

Can you get into download/recovery mode?

Does Odin recognize it when you plug it into the computer?

Were you trying to flash something when this happened (i.e. why were you in recovery mode in the first place)?

A little more information never hurts =)

~SB

vancehavvokk

Oct 29, 2010
Wilmington, OH
I have the same issue. It happened after I received a T-Mo ota update. I've cleared everything I can find to clear. I can get into recovery mode, but when I select the reboot option nothing changes. Anyone have a link to a walk through that a novice could understand? One with nice little things like links to the programs/files necessary? Thanks in advance.

S4BRE2121

Oct 27, 2010
ok this also happened to me i used this to return to stock and everything came back fine.

since i cant yet post a link i provided the thread # paste it to the end of the address in your browser.

/showthread.php?t=803492

forum,xda-developers,com/showthread.php?t=803492
replacing the ,'s with .'s

Last edited:

holiday5804

Jan 24, 2008
Minneapolis, MN
I tried flashing back to the orginal stock t-mobile rom (JFD) through odin but no luck after multiple attempts. I finally just brought it to a t-mobile store and the are sending a replacement. I was fully prepared to take my lumps if they told me it was my problem but since they want to replace it I'm okay with that too. I still have the phone and am going to try some of the other steps that you guys listed before I send it to T-mobile. I was actually partitioning my sd card with the rom manager app and while in recovery I accidentally bumped the power button while "clear davlick cache" or whatever was highlighted. Next thing you know I don't have a working phone. I'm not sure exactly what that does but I do know it messed up my phone. This isn't the first time I've modded phones, did a lot of flashing on my old G1 and Wing and never had anything like this happen.

Oh and I was able to get a good connection with odin, it stated it was successful everytime I tried flashing back to the stock rom but it never fixed the problem.

Last edited:

Joshochoa187

Aug 24, 2010
Houston
When I bricked my phone I made sure the insurance company couldn't tell I modded it. Vibrant's don't do to well falling down stairs lol

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA App

holiday5804

Jan 24, 2008
Minneapolis, MN
When I bricked my phone I made sure the insurance company couldn't tell I modded it. Vibrant's don't do to well falling down stairs lol

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA App

I didn't go through insurance, T-mo is just replacing it through the warranty. I started to sweat a little when they booted it into recovery mode thinking the tech guy was going to ask the rep at the store to give him the info that comes up to see if it was rooted or modded but the tech just had him clear the phone data and reboot and when that did not work they went ahead and sebt one out. I wouldn't have complained if they told me I was SOL since it was a risk i was taking but I also don't feel bad as they are charging me $10 dollars more a month then I was quoted after my upgrade and I am not sure if I want to go through the hassle of putting in a complaint through the Attorney Generals office. this just may be my payback.