• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[VIDEO] How google blocks 5G for unlisted countries (explained)

Search This thread

swangjang

Sep 12, 2018
Google Pixel 5
I made a video explaining how google blocks 5G in the software by default for unlisted countries.
I also tried posting this on reddit at r/googlepixel but mods deleted it.
I think this information should be spread to the wider general public because it affects just about every one of us here, having to root our phones to enable 5G, when this should just be enabled out of the box.

If a phone is advertised as "5G ready", we should expect to be able to connect to our carrier's 5G network out of the box, regardless of being in a "supported country" or not.
This video shows that carrier-google certification is not necessary to connect to your carrier's 5G network.
I wonder if it's possible to file a class action lawsuit because blocking 5G in the software clearly has to be some sort of "misleading" or "false advertising" in terms of the phone being "5G" ready.

Last edited:

nfqa

Dec 11, 2006
Jerash
You are right , but its not as simple as you are saying , I did the same and still not able to connect or sometimes showing only 5G but speed is less than 3G although my other mobile - Huawei could connect to 5G and speed was incredible and around 700Mbs!

there are other files that need to be modified i believe in.

swangjang

Sep 12, 2018
Google Pixel 5
You are right , but its not as simple as you are saying , I did the same and still not able to connect or sometimes showing only 5G but speed is less than 3G although my other mobile - Huawei could connect to 5G and speed was incredible and around 700Mbs!

There is indeed more to it than just the "5G" addition but this is the absolute minimum google should do to provide a way for everyone to connect to their carrier's basic 5G network. I've looked into other 'certified' mbn carrier_policy files and they have more lines of code specifying which network bands to use etc.

I am in the process of learning those codes by reading through them and finding a way to unpack/edit the stock android image to make those changes, so that a simple fastboot flash would solve the problem for everyone.

nfqa

Dec 11, 2006
Jerash
There is indeed more to it than just the "5G" addition but this is the absolute minimum google should do to provide a way for everyone to connect to their carrier's basic 5G network. I've looked into other 'certified' mbn carrier_policy files and they have more lines of code specifying which network bands to use etc.

I am in the process of learning those codes by reading through them and finding a way to unpack/edit the stock android image to make those changes so that a simple fastboot flash would solve the problem for everyone.
Agree with and was doing the same approach to try to understand the policy file and items, found some policy files for pixel 5 with LTE bands mentioned. i believe there are differences between networks and telecom providers , Google don't want to consume sometime to do comprehensive policy file majority .

kkshinichi

May 31, 2017
I want to do this to be honest (as Pixel will never come to the Philippines, but I managed to get one through some means), but my device is currently enrolled in a BYOD program on my company (VMWare AirWatch) and trying to conceal root can cause more harm than good on my employment (EDIT: word choice).

TL;DR fingers crossed for Google to open up 5G globally instead of selected carriers

I wonder if it's possible to file a class action lawsuit because blocking 5G in the software clearly has to be some sort of "misleading" or "false advertising" in terms of the phone being "5G" ready.

I hope this can happen, but having 5G Pixel outside of their supported country (both on 5G and Pixel itself) is somewhat not that good to be presented legally as they'll question the legality of the purchase and more legal jibber jabbers

swangjang

Sep 12, 2018
Google Pixel 5
I hope this can happen, but having 5G Pixel outside of their supported country (both on 5G and Pixel itself) is somewhat not that good to be presented legally as they'll question the legality of the purchase and more legal jibber jabbers

Phones get parallel imported all the time around the world. The "legality of purchase" shouldn't even be a thing.

Reactions: kkshinichi

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I made a video explaining how google blocks 5G in the software by default for unlisted countries.
    I also tried posting this on reddit at r/googlepixel but mods deleted it.
    I think this information should be spread to the wider general public because it affects just about every one of us here, having to root our phones to enable 5G, when this should just be enabled out of the box.

If a phone is advertised as "5G ready", we should expect to be able to connect to our carrier's 5G network out of the box, regardless of being in a "supported country" or not.
    This video shows that carrier-google certification is not necessary to connect to your carrier's 5G network.

I am in the process of learning those codes by reading through them and finding a way to unpack/edit the stock android image to make those changes, so that a simple fastboot flash would solve the problem for everyone.

Phones get parallel imported all the time around the world. The "legality of purchase" shouldn't even be a thing.