[Video] How to perm root your g2

Search This thread

thecarbine

Jan 2, 2011
The Desire Z has received a new unrootable OTA 1.72 update.
I am going to purchase a brand new G2 from T-mo and I was wondering if this update has migrated to the G2?
In other words, are G2s rootable as of the time of this post?

I really want to root my new G2

steviewevie

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 28, 2009
UK
I am going to purchase a brand new G2 from T-mo and I was wondering if this update has migrated to the G2?

At the time of this post, yes, you can still root your G2. I imagine that at some point the G2 will receive the additional security of the 1.72 Desire Z OTA, but hopefully by that time the security will have been cracked.

Reactions: thecarbine

steviewevie

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 28, 2009
UK
This video was great when it originally came out, but there is now a much more up-to-date, and safer method of rooting your phone and getting full radio S-OFF (as opposed to a kind of "fake" S-OFF that this video gives you).

The most up-to-date method is the gfree method described in the Wiki - http://forum.xda-developers.com/wik...cess_.28Permanent_Root_.2F_.22Permaroot.22.29

If you already have used that video to root the phone, you should still use gfree to get full radio S-OFF, because it has more options from getting out of bad situations - see http://forum.xda-developers.com/wik...Phone.2C_Set_SuperCID.2C_and_Turn_Radio_S-OFF

ravijohn

Dec 22, 2010
Need Help - Semi - Bricked my phone

Dear All,

First of all im sorry if im posting this in the wrong area. I have read millions of pages on this forum and other and am really really confused. I have a Desire Z and it was running stock rom with the following details:
HBOOT - 0.76.2000 (PC1011000)
MICROP-0425
RADIO-26.03.02.26_M
eMMC-boot
OS 1.34.707.5

Since d rage method was not working for me initially due to ADB issues, i tried Visionary as an easy way out and now i seem to have semi-bricked my device as im always facing boot loop screen. I hadnt made any typos, everything was done as said. I have managed to get S-OFF and had enable USB Debugging before the perm root. However after this boot loop issue started, im unable to use ADB alongwith FASTBOOT as it doesnt list my device under attached devices on using ADB DEVICES command. Initially i also had a driver issue as it was detecting an android 1.0 device but i guess i solved that by using PDAnet drivers but still no success with ADB. I have never made any custom/ nandroid backups and im very confused as to what to do. I took my phone to HTC but since the 'z' is not yet launced here they said I would have to wait till the official launch (wtf).. is there any way to recover my device? i dont even mind using the old STOCK rom, i only wanted to root to enable 'trackpad wake' and 'overclocking'.. Please help me out folks

steviewevie

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 28, 2009
UK
First of all im sorry if im posting this in the wrong area. I have read millions of pages on this forum and other and am really really confused. I have a Desire Z and it was running stock rom with the following details:
MICROP-0425
RADIO-26.03.02.26_M
eMMC-boot
OS 1.34.707.5

Since d rage method was not working for me initially due to ADB issues, i tried Visionary as an easy way out and now i seem to have semi-bricked my device as im always facing boot loop screen. I hadnt made any typos, everything was done as said. I have managed to get S-OFF and had enable USB Debugging before the perm root. However after this boot loop issue started, im unable to use ADB alongwith FASTBOOT as it doesnt list my device under attached devices on using ADB DEVICES command. Initially i also had a driver issue as it was detecting an android 1.0 device but i guess i solved that by using PDAnet drivers but still no success with ADB. I have never made any custom/ nandroid backups and im very confused as to what to do. I took my phone to HTC but since the 'z' is not yet launced here they said I would have to wait till the official launch (wtf).. is there any way to recover my device? i dont even mind using the old STOCK rom, i only wanted to root to enable 'trackpad wake' and 'overclocking'.. Please help me out folks

First off, on adb, have you tried this guide - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=865685 ? That tells you where to get the necessary drivers.

I realise adb won't help you right now though.

Your hboot version sounds odd, sounds like you have the G2 eng hboot even though you have a DZ, I wonder if that's why it's boot looping ?

Can you get into hboot through starting with the phone off, holding down Volume Down, then holding Power until it switches on ? If so you may want to try flashing a new ROM from your SD card. The one at http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=820410&highlight=707 sounds the closest to what you're running at the moment. This is an Asian ROM, right ? If you download that and call it "PC10IMG.zip" and place it in the top (root) folder of your SD card, then boot into hboot it should find it and ask if you want to flash it. However, beware that this will wipe all your existing settings/data etc.

If you can get into hboot then there are also some different recovery options if it is an ENG hboot, e.g. trying to flash new stuff via fastboot from your PC. Though you will need to get adb working for that (which enables fastboot too) - see the linked guide above.

Reactions: ravijohn

ravijohn

Dec 22, 2010
@stevieweviw: i guess i downloaded the wrong HBOOT for my DZ, probably it was the one for G2 as you said since i downloaded it from a different site altogether as the one supplied for DZ didn seem to do the trick (the site was chinese if im not mistaken but definitely mentioned it as for DZ)

Yes i can get into HBOOT, im downloading the ROM from the link u gave but im just wondering whether it would be fine to downgrade from 1.34.707.5 to 1.34.707.3??? i read somewhere that upgrading wouldnt be an issue but downgrading definitely will. Also to directly install PC10IMG.zip from root, wouldnt i need clockwork mod or something like that?? or can i directly flash it from there without any additional program? n last question, since i already have s-off, will flashing the PC10IMG.zip still keep me with root access as iv also read somewhere that flashing an official ROM with S-OFF leads to furthercomplications? im sorry if the questions sound way too noobish but im desperate. thanks for the quick reply

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2010
Okay. I am Canadian and so I have the Desire Z, not the G2.

I need to root this thing so that I can run Cyanogen or some kind of vanilla Android ROM.

But I am technologically retarded, as I discovered as I got more into Android. To make a long story short, I don't even know where to start with this.

What I need to do: Run vanilla Android/Cyanogen on my Desire Z

How do I do it? I will pay $10 USD on Paypal to anyone who helps me. I need this badly.

ravijohn

Dec 22, 2010
@stevieweviw: i guess i downloaded the wrong HBOOT for my DZ, probably it was the one for G2 as you said since i downloaded it from a different site altogether as the one supplied for DZ didn seem to do the trick (the site was chinese if im not mistaken but definitely mentioned it as for DZ)

Yes i can get into HBOOT, im downloading the ROM from the link u gave but im just wondering whether it would be fine to downgrade from 1.34.707.5 to 1.34.707.3??? i read somewhere that upgrading wouldnt be an issue but downgrading definitely will. Also to directly install PC10IMG.zip from root, wouldnt i need clockwork mod or something like that?? or can i directly flash it from there without any additional program? n last question, since i already have s-off, will flashing the PC10IMG.zip still keep me with root access as iv also read somewhere that flashing an official ROM with S-OFF leads to furthercomplications? im sorry if the questions sound way too noobish but im desperate. thanks for the quick reply

can someone please help me with the above questions? im almost there, just need confirmation before installing PC10IMG.zip...

steviewevie

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 28, 2009
UK

No you don't need clockwork to install a stock PC10IMG, the factory hboot will do that. It will find it and ask you if you want to flash it, recovery isn't used at all for that (though you can flash ROMs from Clockwork too).

There is an issue with flashing an older stock ROM if you only have S-OFF via the eng hboot and not radio S-OFF via gfree. But I *think* that won't apply here because it is effectively the same 1.34 version of the ROM, just a different region/carrier. But I am not 100% sure on this, so to be on the safe side I would recommend going through this procedure, which will make it safe for you for sure - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=832503

ravijohn

Dec 22, 2010
First off, on adb, have you tried this guide - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=865685 ? That tells you where to get the necessary drivers.

Your hboot version sounds odd, sounds like you have the G2 eng hboot even though you have a DZ, I wonder if that's why it's boot looping ?

Can you get into hboot through starting with the phone off, holding down Volume Down, then holding Power until it switches on ? If so you may want to try flashing a new ROM from your SD card. The one at http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=820410&highlight=707 sounds the closest to what you're running at the moment. This is an Asian ROM, right ? If you download that and call it "PC10IMG.zip" and place it in the top (root) folder of your SD card, then boot into hboot it should find it and ask if you want to flash it. However, beware that this will wipe all your existing settings/data etc.

If you can get into hboot then there are also some different recovery options if it is an ENG hboot, e.g. trying to flash new stuff via fastboot from your PC. Though you will need to get adb working for that (which enables fastboot too) - see the linked guide above.

No you don't need clockwork to install a stock PC10IMG, the factory hboot will do that. It will find it and ask you if you want to flash it, recovery isn't used at all for that (though you can flash ROMs from Clockwork too).

There is an issue with flashing an older stock ROM if you only have S-OFF via the eng hboot and not radio S-OFF via gfree. But I *think* that won't apply here because it is effectively the same 1.34 version of the ROM, just a different region/carrier. But I am not 100% sure on this, so to be on the safe side I would recommend going through this procedure, which will make it safe for you for sure - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=832503

dear steviewevie,

i have just downloaded n extracted the 1.72.405.2 ROM from the RUU file as i dont want to take a risk of downgrading as i have s-off and will not be able to use adb like i told you earlier. i have now placed the PC10IMG.zip on the root of my sd card, now what option do i select from HBOOT?? Fastboot, Recovery, Factory Reset? i tried recovery once but it just shows a red triangle error screen.

ravijohn

Dec 22, 2010
i guess its not detecting the PC10IMG.zip in fastboot! as it says no file or wrong file and also some file called PC10DIAG.zip! oh man will i ever get my cell to work!!!

steviewevie

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 28, 2009
UK
i have just downloaded n extracted the 1.72.405.2 ROM from the RUU file as i dont want to take a risk of downgrading as i have s-off and will not be able to use adb like i told you earlier. i have now placed the PC10IMG.zip on the root of my sd card, now what option do i select from HBOOT?? Fastboot, Recovery, Factory Reset? i tried recovery once but it just shows a red triangle error screen.

You know that if you flash that, you will not be able to get root and will lose your S-OFF, right ? Plus you won't be able to downgrade until a way to root that ROM is worked out.

If you really want to go ahead, then if you just boot into hboot and wait a few seconds it should automatically find and open the ROM file and ask if you want to flash it. Are you sure the filename is correct (PC10IMG.zip, don't confuse the capital "i" and the number one) and it's in the root of the SD card ? And it's really a ROM.zip file with various .img files inside etc ?

ravijohn

Dec 22, 2010
yes i have opened the rom with winzip and there are files inside like system.img etc etc.. its real.. and i have checked the spelling as well but HBOOT is not detecting it for some reason, should i try with the 1.34.707.3 as recommended by you earlier??

steviewevie

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 28, 2009
UK
yes i have opened the rom with winzip and there are files inside like system.img etc etc.. its real.. and i have checked the spelling as well but HBOOT is not detecting it for some reason, should i try with the 1.34.707.3 as recommended by you earlier??

I think you will be fine with that 1.34.707.3.

ravijohn

Dec 22, 2010
no use stevie, i even renamed the file to pc10diag.zip for good measure and this is the screen i get. it doesnt even recognise PC10IMG.zip by the way.

Attachments

• VISION.JPG
    VISION.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 73

steviewevie

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 28, 2009
UK
no use stevie, i even renamed the file to pc10diag.zip for good measure and this is the screen i get. it doesnt even recognise PC10IMG.zip by the way.

What does it say when it's called PC10IMG.zip ?

That's strange. It's the rom.zip file from inside the RUU, right ? And you have placed it at the top level of your SD card ? So if you do "ls /sdcard" from terminal emulator it shows "PC10IMG.zip" along with the other files ?

ravijohn

Dec 22, 2010
this is what i get while using PC10IMG.zip screenshots attached...
i have no clue why its not recognising the file from the sdcard, i even tried formatting the sdcard and only keeping PC10IMG.zip on it but still no use..

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thanx to blackprince310 that posted a tutorial video on youtube on how to perm root your g2..so now there's a video for all of us.. Subscribe to his youtube channel.......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU9zn_BEth4

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using XDA App

At the time of this post, yes, you can still root your G2. I imagine that at some point the G2 will receive the additional security of the 1.72 Desire Z OTA, but hopefully by that time the security will have been cracked.
    MICROP-0425
    RADIO-26.03.02.26_M
    eMMC-boot
    OS 1.34.707.5