[VIDEO] Kiktat update canceled due apps implement.... WHAT?

forumber2

Feb 2, 2012
Istanbul
Hello XDA community!

As you know, Sammobile announced that I9300 won't get official Kitkat update from Samsung. You can get more information from there;

http://www.sammobile.com/2014/05/07/heres-a-list-of-samsung-devices-getting-the-android-4-4-kitkat-update/

But Samsung released official Kitkat update for International Note 2 (N7100) from OTA. Almost everyone believed in this update is canceled because of low RAM. I did not believe it. So, I started to work to boot N7100XXUFND3 on I9300.

The ROM is about 1.8 GB, we have 1.5 GB partition size for system. There is no way to boot on NAND without partition eMMC. I partitioned my 16GB sdcard and install the ROM to sdcard. I changed the kernel from I9300XXUGNB6. And it booted.

It's running pretty smooth even running on sdcard. Of course it crashes sometimes, but not a big deal. The most important things are not working too (like RIL, WiFi)

Here's a video of demonstration;

Here's RAM usage;

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3U72O5ZZ8z-YmJ6UWlMRmtGZmc/edit?usp=sharing

So, What's your opinion about canceling update?

nicola1989

Nov 17, 2011
Only commercials, if they update an with years old phone they don't sell more s4 and s5

Inviato dal mio GT-I9300 utilizzando Tapatalk

Sulaimanshariff

Aug 1, 2013
mysore
Great job brother but huge disappointment as Google stated that kk can work on devices lower than 512mb of ram easily yet Samsung cancelled it due to ram limitations not genuine reason possibly they would bring a update in the near future neglecting a flagship device is seriously awful!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

XeLLaR*

Jun 25, 2012
DevConnection
Well have kitkat, believe me. If you do the same with the KitKat update for the GT-I9305 instead of the Note2 firmware it will be better. Wifi will work, and RIL most probably too after some little changes.
I will try my best to port the upcoming GT-I9305 KitKat update to the GT-I9305. If you could tell me what you have done in order to port the firmware, that would be awesome! Maybe we can team up and start porting as soon as the update is available? :)

BTW: Why havent you debloated the rom to shrink it a bit? Removing all unnessesary apps from /system/app and /priv-app could make it smaller than 1,5GB

Last edited:
Reactions: DS-1 and quaker1985

forumber2

Feb 2, 2012
Istanbul
Well have kitkat, believe me. If you do the same with the KitKat update for the GT-I9305 instead of the Note2 firmware it will be better. Wifi will work, and RIL most probably too after some little changes.
I will try my best to port the upcoming GT-I9305 KitKat update to the GT-I9305. If you could tell me what you have done in order to port the firmware, that would be awesome! Maybe we can team up and start porting as soon as the update is available? :)

BTW: Why havent you debloated the rom to shrink it a bit? Removing all unnessesary apps from /system/app and /priv-app could make it smaller than 1,5GB
-If Samsung release Kitkat for GT-I9305, I'll do my best for porting it to I9300 too.
-I don't want to remove any apk for testing RAM usage (reason of cancelling)
-I changed only kernel, and it booted.
-We can make a team for porting of course, why not? ;)

XeLLaR*

Jun 25, 2012
DevConnection
-If Samsung release Kitkat for GT-I9305, I'll do my best for porting it to I9300 too.
-I don't want to remove any apk for testing RAM usage (reason of cancelling)
-I changed only kernel, and it booted.
-We can make a team for porting of course, why not? ;)
Ahh that makes sense amd im happynto hear that you want to team up! In the past i have ported several things and i think that we can do it together! The only thinh i worry about is the RIL. Lets hope samsung releases the S3 LTE firmware soon so we can start working on it.
Also a thing with the S3 LTE is that it has a different partition layout. We must take care of that and be very carefull in what we do. Unlike the note2 we cant just flash it and see what happens.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk 2

forumber2

Feb 2, 2012
Istanbul
Ahh that makes sense amd im happynto hear that you want to team up! In the past i have ported several things and i think that we can do it together! The only thinh i worry about is the RIL. Lets hope samsung releases the S3 LTE firmware soon so we can start working on it.
Also a thing with the S3 LTE is that it has a different partition layout. We must take care of that and be very carefull in what we do. Unlike the note2 we cant just flash it and see what happens.

Note 2 has a different partitio layout too.

Reactions: XeLLaR*
Oct 6, 2013
Beijing
as a normal user, I'm going to hope that Samsung leaks GS3 KitKat Drivers, Kernel and sth like that.. And if they do, it may help you developers.

Thanks for trying to help all of us Kitkat wanters

XeLLaR*

Jun 25, 2012
DevConnection
Sam**** will definetly not release any Kernel source without releasing a rom along with it. Thats for sure. But we can take stuff from GT-i9305 and Note2 so were good for the next time....atleast till the next major Android version.

.NetRolller 3D

Jul 15, 2012
Budapest
A few thoughts:
-RIL: I guess the baseband is loading modem FW from NAND even when booting from SD card. Could also be an EFS issue.
-WiFi is probably Knox interfering with module loading, as seen on the I9305.
-Storage is a consequence of booting from SD card.
-Sensors are either a HW mismatch between S3 and NoteII, or a failure to mount the Firmware partition.

Try to debloat and flash on NAND.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using XDA Free mobile app

Andr3y29

Jan 31, 2013
Buzau
Ok. So let get this straight. what you actually did is that you modified build.prop (someone posted once here how it should look) and replaced the boot. (bin, I guess) with a stock kernle from S3, right ? And you installed it on the SD card because you needed more space ? If this is right, then please upload the ROM here, and I will debloat it for you ;)
I will still try to do this. Also, the build.prop was uploaded on XDA with the news that S3 won't receive official KK. I will remove some Google stuff and then let the flash begin :cool: :cowboy:

XeLLaR*

Jun 25, 2012
DevConnection
Ok. So let get this straight. what you actually did is that you modified build.prop (someone posted once here how it should look) and replaced the boot. (bin, I guess) with a stock kernle from S3, right ? And you installed it on the SD card because you needed more space ? If this is right, then please upload the ROM here, and I will debloat it for you ;)
I will still try to do this. Also, the build.prop was uploaded on XDA with the news that S3 won't receive official KK. I will remove some Google stuff and then let the flash begin :cool: :cowboy:
Nope, the video is legit. Look at the lockscreen and the settings app. Baseband version is also unknown, which is a sign that this is a legit port.

P.S: What are you gonna do with this rom? Its useless...WiFi and RIL doesnt work...

Andr3y29

Jan 31, 2013
Buzau
Nope, the video is legit. Look at the lockscreen and the settings app. Baseband version is also unknown, which is a sign that this is a legit port.

P.S: What are you gonna do with this rom? Its useless...WiFi and RIL doesnt work...
I didn't said it is not legit. in fact, I wanted to know what to do to use it myself :D And I would probably end just by testing it for few hours, probably testing some random modems / (restoring EFS :-? ). And @henrylife , who is porting the S5 ROM said that every 4.3 kernel works on that, so... probably ending dual-booting it. Found on Note II's thread even ROMs with like 600-700MB.

forumber2

Feb 2, 2012
Istanbul
A few thoughts:
-RIL: I guess the baseband is loading modem FW from NAND even when booting from SD card. Could also be an EFS issue.
-WiFi is probably Knox interfering with module loading, as seen on the I9305.
-Storage is a consequence of booting from SD card.
-Sensors are either a HW mismatch between S3 and NoteII, or a failure to mount the Firmware partition.

Try to debloat and flash on NAND.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using XDA Free mobile app
-RIL: I think I just need to change RIL blobs tp get it work. It's easy
-WiFi: Maybe KNOX, maybe WiFi modules (dhd.ko) causes the problem. We should try
-Storage: The storage problem isn't causing by booting from sdcard, I tried boot from sdcard with CM11 and I9300XXUGNB6. Those had not any problems about storage. I think I need to change mount commands in ramdisk.
-Sensors: Android Sensor Service is updated in Kitkat. So, we need newer sensor driver of I9300. Maybe we can use CM11 opensource driver.

I didn't change anything in /system partition. I changed only boot.img. I can't upload it, but if you want to play with this, you can download the ROM from sammobile or samsung-updates.

I'm not gonna contiune to port Note 2 firmware. If Samsung will release Kitkat for I9300, I'll do my best ;)

XeLLaR*

Jun 25, 2012
DevConnection
-RIL: I think I just need to change RIL blobs tp get it work. It's easy
-WiFi: Maybe KNOX, maybe WiFi modules (dhd.ko) causes the problem. We should try
-Storage: The storage problem isn't causing by booting from sdcard, I tried boot from sdcard with CM11 and I9300XXUGNB6. Those had not any problems about storage. I think I need to change mount commands in ramdisk.
-Sensors: Android Sensor Service is updated in Kitkat. So, we need newer sensor driver of I9300. Maybe we can use CM11 opensource driver.

I didn't change anything in /system partition. I changed only boot.img. I can't upload it, but if you want to play with this, you can download the ROM from sammobile or samsung-updates.

I'm not gonna contiune to port Note 2 firmware. If Samsung will release Kitkat for I9300, I'll do my best ;)
The Sensor driver should be easy, we can take blobs from the GT-i9305 Update. BTW: Im going to create a developer port thread this evening..lets see what we can do.

Last edited:

fastfix2013

Nov 16, 2013
To get storage to Mount 100% you will need to modify the vold. Fstab file. Once done your storage should work correctly. If you need help With RIL let me know via PM. Also i Can help you get these bugs ALL ironed out TODAY. Just PM me thanks.

---------- Post added at 03:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:20 PM ----------

The Sensor driver should be easy, we can take blobs from the GT-i9305 Update. BTW: Im going to create a developer port thread this evening..lets see what we can do.
Dont need sensor driver from i9305 kk build i Can modify our curent driver to work on kk build. Its Not Easy But With a few hours And a few logcats Ill get It Done.

---------- Post added at 03:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:22 PM ----------

Also OP this is 100% usable With NAND. Just move some Google apps to /data when flashing And It will Fit perfectly ;) atleast that Way your still able to test ram usage

Reactions: beeeto and XeLLaR*

fastfix2013

Nov 16, 2013
I am porting note2 kk firmware. I have Also removed Knox from the firmware as It only cause problems for me. Once Im happy Ill release It so you can all test. Please bare With It Im working off my Phone unlimited connection so upload And download are Very slow. Thanks.

This new kk build will be 100% NAND compatible. Thanks.

XeLLaR*

Jun 25, 2012
DevConnection
I am porting note2 kk firmware. I have Also removed Knox from the firmware as It only cause problems for me. Once Im happy Ill release It so you can all test. Please bare With It Im working off my Phone unlimited connection so upload And download are Very slow. Thanks.

This new kk build will be 100% NAND compatible. Thanks.
Sounds nice, PM me if you need help or a tester :)

Reactions: fastfix2013

fastfix2013

Nov 16, 2013
Sounds nice, PM me if you need help or a tester :)

Just Making needed changes to our kernel so its able to boot kk. Once thats done i will boot It n upload Screenshots n video. Once i am happy everything needed is working Ill release to you in PM to test.

I Think if your Good enough to port a rom And show us all It on xda. Then u should release It Not Just Say Im Not going to continue It. If i port a rom ILL RELEASE its that simple :) Ill keep you all Updated throughout my work. Thanks

Reactions: VojtasCZ