• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Video Player that support filter/post processing effects

Search This thread

speedingcheetah

Feb 25, 2011
Equestria
I am looking for a Video player app that supports effect/filter/post processing mainly Sharpening. possibly other options like contrast, saturation/hue etc.

VLC for desktop and many other PC player apps support this, but I have yet to see one for mobile.

I've used MX Player Pro for long time, but i has no way to tweak the actual video it plays...any suggestions?

EDIT: MPV
That does it all if u setup a .conf.
Now use it for Android and PC.
https://mpv.io/manual/stable/

Last edited:

Amir1975

Oct 26, 2019
Sharpening while playing is a Hardware based ability

Hi there,
Unfortunately, for now, Sharpening while playing, is a mere Hardware ability (in contrast to HUE, SATURATION, BRIGHTNESS, CONTRAST etc which are software depended).
Sharpening works on its best with PCs hardware architecture, but on mobile platform you should go for proper hardware, not all SOCs support SHARPENING. for instance some MEDIATEK SOCs support it and the ability is called MIRAVISION by MediaTek. i had your problem, and finally bought a midrange tablet with MEDIATEK MTK MT8783 chipset which supports Sharpening and other MiraVision abilities very well, satisfied me with crystal clear and crisp video playing on FullHD IPS screen, far better than any TV.

speedingcheetah

Feb 25, 2011
Equestria
Hi there,
Unfortunately, for now, Sharpening while playing, is a mere Hardware ability (in contrast to HUE, SATURATION, BRIGHTNESS, CONTRAST etc which are software depended).
Sharpening works on its best with PCs hardware architecture, but on mobile platform you should go for proper hardware, not all SOCs support SHARPENING. for instance some MEDIATEK SOCs support it and the ability is called MIRAVISION by MediaTek. i had your problem, and finally bought a midrange tablet with MEDIATEK MTK MT8783 chipset which supports Sharpening and other MiraVision abilities very well, satisfied me with crystal clear and crisp video playing on FullHD IPS screen, far better than any TV.

WOW....really...reply to 2yr old thread.....mods will probably ban u for that....they very picky here.....

And your very wrong......

Discovered over a year ago...no thanks to anyone here on XDA.....that MPV player app has everything u can set via its .conf file. Sharpness, brightness,contrast, scalers, etc. I now use it on Android and PC. Even find it much better then MPC-HC i was using on PC.

Amir1975

Oct 26, 2019
tnx for your reply, i tried it but never works correctly bro, at least i couldnt make it to work like miravision. if you have a config file please upload it here and share.

speedingcheetah

Feb 25, 2011
Equestria
tnx for your reply, i tried it but never works correctly bro, at least i couldnt make it to work like miravision. if you have a config file please upload it here and share.

What u mean "never works correctly". What device and source file are you playing?

By default, it should work just fine to play pretty much anything. Works fine on my Pixel 3
If u fuss with the settings, and your devices does not support those settings, or the hardware is not strong enough, then things will have issues.
MPV has extensive documentation on how to use each syntax command and what scalers, and hw accel/decode modes support what etc.
The .conf would be unique to each device/platfourm etc.

The only things i have in my mpv.conf on my phone is:
sharpen=1.18
saturation=10

I also use ewa_lanczossharp for up and downscaling filter. I have noticed that using Interpolation makes the video look wonky, but that is very device specific experience, screen refresh rate and gpu power etc.

Reactions: Amir1975

Amir1975

Oct 26, 2019
wow!!
thats great pal, really great. i used your config and then changed it, changed sharpness to 5! though uses more system resources but works great. now i can use my abandoned android box on tv too, it doesnt have battery so no worries about battery drainage.
also found some instructions on net, so complicated for me to read and use it all, but at least learned how to use cfg file.
tnx again

Amir1975

Oct 26, 2019
unfortunately, it doesnt work with my Amlogic s905 CPU of Android box. player runs well but commands like sharpen never get to work with any parameter. i tried it again on my Mate9 phone and worked well with KIRIN chip, so about Amlogic, it needs more development.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

What u mean "never works correctly". What device and source file are you playing?

By default, it should work just fine to play pretty much anything. Works fine on my Pixel 3
    If u fuss with the settings, and your devices does not support those settings, or the hardware is not strong enough, then things will have issues.
    MPV has extensive documentation on how to use each syntax command and what scalers, and hw accel/decode modes support what etc.
    The .conf would be unique to each device/platfourm etc.

The only things i have in my mpv.conf on my phone is:
    sharpen=1.18
    saturation=10

I also use ewa_lanczossharp for up and downscaling filter. I have noticed that using Interpolation makes the video look wonky, but that is very device specific experience, screen refresh rate and gpu power etc.