Video quality

Search This thread

XDA_RealLifeReview

RealLifeReview Dude
Nov 2, 2015
Your friends are never going to believe what you did. The only way to prove it to them is with that video you took. Rate this thread to express how videos shot on the Sony Xperia 1 come out. A higher rating indicates that videos are smooth (and not choppy) and that auto-focus works very well, and that the camera adjusts quickly to different lighting conditions while recording.

Then, drop a comment if you have anything to add!

scoobiesnacks

Nov 15, 2011
My initial experience is it struggles to focus when recording video

And it seriously overheats when recording 4k video for any reasonable length of time.

Timaustin2000

Feb 16, 2013
The 1080p video is class leading: no quibbles there. It's absolutely the best, most stable 1080p footage you can get, with brilliant immersive sound recording.

The 4k,... notsomuch. The image itself is fine - good colours and great DR for 4K but Sony really need to work on their stabilisation. The most recent update has helped but it still struggles some on the horizontal axis, making it not as stable as competitors. The EIS is not working well with the OIS.

So it's a mixed bag and one that is a software update away from fixing. But if you keep it on 1080p then you're in for a treat.

Reactions: SNOOPLAYAN

xerxess

Mar 13, 2014
The 1080p video is class leading: no quibbles there. It's absolutely the best, most stable 1080p footage you can get, with brilliant immersive sound recording.

The 4k,... notsomuch. The image itself is fine - good colours and great DR for 4K but Sony really need to work on their stabilisation. The most recent update has helped but it still struggles some on the horizontal axis, making it not as stable as competitors. The EIS is not working well with the OIS.

So it's a mixed bag and one that is a software update away from fixing. But if you keep it on 1080p then you're in for a treat.

had try newest update? stabilization improved alot
look at this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsZZAe0ztUM

Timaustin2000

Feb 16, 2013
look at this

I've had the June update, yes. Some improvement but it still struggles not to jump on the horizontal axis, which it still does. Fine if you're not walking but really distracting if you are.

There is actually an answer to the problem, I've discovered - so long as you're not wedded to the SteadyCam effect: switch stabilisation off entirely.

Yes, really.

The stabilisation toggle seems to apply only to the EIS not the OIS, which is automatic. As it's the EIS not playing well with the OIS that is causing the issue, switching it off actually fixes it.

Your videos no longer "float": it looks like you're walking. But you're walking,... Smoothly.

jackfrost3821

Oct 5, 2010
Sacramento, CA
Hey guys,

I shot this video on our beloved Xperia 1.

As the video description says, I'm not a pro. In fact this is my first time shooting travel/cinematic video. Got encouraged because of how Sony advertised this(these) camera(s). This device inspires creativity.

Anyway, great potential in this thing to be out there at the top of smartphone camera game.

Please share your thoughts. :)

Reactions: snake218

snake218

Nov 1, 2012
Hey guys,

As the video description says, I'm not a pro. In fact this is my first time shooting travel/cinematic video. Got encouraged because of how Sony advertised this(these) camera(s). This device inspires creativity.

Anyway, great potential in this thing to be out there at the top of smartphone camera game.

Greta video, you used the cinema pro app?
BTW, the firmware update is supposed to enchantment stabilization when recording on 4k

jackfrost3821

Oct 5, 2010
Sacramento, CA
Greta video, you used the cinema pro app?
BTW, the firmware update is supposed to enchantment stabilization when recording on 4k

Yes, I used Cinema Pro app for all clips before latest firmware update. Also I used my roommate's Snoppa Atom gimbal, it was struggling a bit to stabilize phone of Sony Xperia1's size. Both previous firmware and gimbal did not help much with stabilization.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

look at this
    look at this

I've had the June update, yes. Some improvement but it still struggles not to jump on the horizontal axis, which it still does. Fine if you're not walking but really distracting if you are.

There is actually an answer to the problem, I've discovered - so long as you're not wedded to the SteadyCam effect: switch stabilisation off entirely.

Yes, really.

The stabilisation toggle seems to apply only to the EIS not the OIS, which is automatic. As it's the EIS not playing well with the OIS that is causing the issue, switching it off actually fixes it.

Your videos no longer "float": it looks like you're walking. But you're walking,... Smoothly.

@Timaustin2000 is there any way to turn it off for CinemaAlta app?

I believe that OIS is locked in the Cinema Pro app, in that neither EIS or OIS are working. Apparently it's so that you can get better results on a tripod but I do wish they'd add it as an option - not everyone can justify buying a gimbal.
    Hey guys,

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone