• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Video, Text and Picture] Review of the Powerbear 6500mAh Extended Battery for the G4

Search This thread

hpka

Jul 17, 2012
North Vancouver, BC
hpka.net
I've written a more general audience review of this battery for my Amazon review, if you want to read that text, it's in the YouTube video description. For now though, here's one for here.

Powerbear appear to be the first to actually launch an extended battery for the G4 on Amazon.ca. At least at the time of writing, the only other relevant thing I could find on there was the Hyperion extended case... just the case, no battery. Anyway, the Powerbear model was only $35, and I was missing my Anker extended battery for my Galaxy S3, so I bought it.

The battery seems well made enough... certainly doesn't strike me as dangerous or going to fail soon... we'll have to see how long it actually lasts. The backing plate has a nice texture on it, but I put the phone straight into the extended case, which was included. The hexagonal pattern is attractive and the case is that nice smooth matt plastic for the most part, that you can still grip but also get in and out of your pocket easily enough.

Battery life has gone from poor (like 6hrs on the stock battery, if that) to spectacular... over 24 hours seems easily reachable without changing any habits. A subjective test over 12 hours of medium (or slightly under medium) use today has seen only a 40% drop in battery life. Yesterday, straight out of the box, it took almost 17hrs to go from 62% to 4% (all of this according to the LG G4's battery stats, on MM, completely stock and unrooted).

Overall I'm happy with it. Price seems very fair for what you get. I like the case and back plate and I can go back to not thinking about battery life.

Case back

Thickness

Box contents

Imgur Album Link (with more images): http://imgur.com/a/FtaxH

Video review (just under 10 minutes and involves drinking at one point):

Reactions: buski

dannyvan42

Aug 7, 2015
Is the case the 'sticky' TPU that gets stuck in your pockets/turns pockets inside out and attracts lint (like Trident cases) or a smoother TPU that does not mess with your pockets.

WAIDroid

Dec 28, 2011
Is the case the 'sticky' TPU that gets stuck in your pockets/turns pockets inside out and attracts lint (like Trident cases) or a smoother TPU that does not mess with your pockets.
I'll test out my case in a moment

Edit: Ok my case didn't have anything on it

Last edited:

merwin

Feb 14, 2006
I got the powerbear a week ago and the battery life is amazing. I don't know what that post is about the chargers. Mine charges fine.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've written a more general audience review of this battery for my Amazon review, if you want to read that text, it's in the YouTube video description. For now though, here's one for here.

Powerbear appear to be the first to actually launch an extended battery for the G4 on Amazon.ca. At least at the time of writing, the only other relevant thing I could find on there was the Hyperion extended case... just the case, no battery. Anyway, the Powerbear model was only $35, and I was missing my Anker extended battery for my Galaxy S3, so I bought it.

The battery seems well made enough... certainly doesn't strike me as dangerous or going to fail soon... we'll have to see how long it actually lasts. The backing plate has a nice texture on it, but I put the phone straight into the extended case, which was included. The hexagonal pattern is attractive and the case is that nice smooth matt plastic for the most part, that you can still grip but also get in and out of your pocket easily enough.

Battery life has gone from poor (like 6hrs on the stock battery, if that) to spectacular... over 24 hours seems easily reachable without changing any habits. A subjective test over 12 hours of medium (or slightly under medium) use today has seen only a 40% drop in battery life. Yesterday, straight out of the box, it took almost 17hrs to go from 62% to 4% (all of this according to the LG G4's battery stats, on MM, completely stock and unrooted).

Overall I'm happy with it. Price seems very fair for what you get. I like the case and back plate and I can go back to not thinking about battery life.

Case back

Thickness

Box contents

Imgur Album Link (with more images): http://imgur.com/a/FtaxH

Video review (just under 10 minutes and involves drinking at one point):