[Video Tutorial] Root the Amazon Fire TV Gen 2 Firmware 5.0.3 VMware in Windows

Search This thread

ultimate_spy_binns

Nov 15, 2015
Birmingham
Please note!!! This tutorial is now old, and will only work for the following firmware 5.0.3
I will make a new video tutorial soon, showing you how to root the 5.0.4 firmware in VMware, so please stay tuned.

To be safe run checkver.py every time you handshake since 5.0.4 is starting to roll out!

Hi guys, hopefully this tutorial helps out everyone having issues, or just too scared to take the plunge. but this will work on windows, since we are running it in a virtual machine.

Requirements!!!! to follow this tutorial.
1. Male to Male USB.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251052828132?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
2. VMWare workstation you can download that from here.
3. The pre configured virtual machine, you can download that from here extract it to your desktop, or some where that you can find on your computer. Mirror

that's it!!!, just watch the video And follow me step by step, and you should have success.

Video link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZQqLoO6ojM

Commands used for copy and paste.
Code:
cd aftv2-tools
./handshake.py
./patch_mmc.sh 0x00000000058e0000 system.root.img system.diff
adb shell
su
pm disable com.amazon.device.software.ota
the sudo password is zeroepoch

PS guys, made this when I was really tired, so if I'm slurring my words please excuse me lol.

if you have any issues please post in the original thread here.
but I doubt you will have any issues. I have managed to root 17 devices from today successfully, every time.

Edit troubleshooting, if you run into the problem, Where the process/patching, Gets Stuck or freezes, don't be alarmed, just press ctrl c key on your keyboard and try plugging in the Amazon box into a different USB port on your computer, and then start again.

@zeroepochHas also posted, a Ubuntu script to Make the process/patching easier, I haven't tested this in a virtual machine environment, will test next week when I get another box in. But If you are impatient you can get it from here

:good::good::good::good::good::angel:

Last edited:

epicroot

Sep 30, 2010
Charlotte
will try this once the pre config is uploaded thanks mate!

edit:

Btw get you a donation link setup, i will be donating to the original people involved in finding this root exploit/patch and would love to donate to you for the pre config and video

Last edited:

ultimate_spy_binns

Nov 15, 2015
Birmingham
will try this once the pre config is uploaded thanks mate!

edit:

Btw get you a donation link setup, i will be donating to the original people involved in finding this root exploit/patch and would love to donate to you for the pre config and video

Thank you for the offer, But its not required. but if you, Where going to give donations give them to @zeroepoch for his original hard work.
I'm sure he would appreciate it. :)

pilotbob3

Jul 28, 2010
Thank you so much Binns, worked perfectly. I tried using Hyper-V for my setup, but could not get the USB port to connect properly. Using VMWorkstation and your tutorial did the trick. Delighted to have a rooted Fire 2!

One reminder for windows users, is to be careful about your power saver settings. Mine originally had the computer going to sleep after an hour, and disrupted the patching process.

ultimate_spy_binns

Nov 15, 2015
Birmingham
I have a Belkin USB Transfer Cable. Is this different than a USB Male to Male cable?

to be honest, I can't tell you if it's any different Les I actually see the cable.

But it should look something like this
$_12.JPG

What is the advantage of rooting the Fire TV?

not much if your a normal user and all you want to do is use kodi etc, so there isn't much point in rooting if that all you do. but if you want use apps that require root privilege you won't be able to use them, me personally i use it for vpn access, because I live in the United Kingdom I don't get access to usa content, but by rooting the box it allows me to use a VPN too fake my IP address so I can watch usa content.

Thank you so much Binns, worked perfectly. I tried using Hyper-V for my setup, but could not get the USB port to connect properly. Using VMWorkstation and your tutorial did the trick. Delighted to have a rooted Fire 2!

One reminder for windows users, is to be careful about your power saver settings. Mine originally had the computer going to sleep after an hour, and disrupted the patching process.

That's great to hear, that this has work for you lot @pilotbob3

Last edited:

Zacharybinx34

Mar 20, 2012
to be honest, I can't tell you if it's any different Les I actually see the cable.

But it should look something like this
$_12.JPG

not much if your a normal user and all you want to do is use kodi etc, so there isn't much point in rooting if that all you do. but if you want use apps that require root privilege you won't be able to use them, me personally i use it for vpn access, because I live in the United Kingdom I don't get access to usa content, but by rooting the box it allows me to use a VPN too fake my IP address so I can watch usa content.

That's great to hear, that is has work for you lot @pilotbob3

What method do you use to watch USA content from the US? I know how VPN works, so I'm not asking about that.

Also, if I root can I install Teamviewer onto the Fire? Or can I without that?

ultimate_spy_binns

Nov 15, 2015
Birmingham
Anyone in the UK know any good shops for picking up one if these cables I know it won't be cheap as using ebay

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Good question.
I just checked online for you, Argos, Currys, Sainsbury's, Tesco, Staples, Online stores, can't find any.
can't think of anywhere else what would sell them

What method do you use to watch USA content from the US? I know how VPN works, so I'm not asking about that.

Also, if I root can I install Teamviewer onto the Fire? Or can I without that?

I'm using Hotspot Shield app, and a other one too, but can't remember the name right now
I've not tested TeamViewer, I don't think it would need root access to work though.

deanr1977

Apr 17, 2011
lost somewhere.... Help
Just asking a question, I am getting a Fire stick 2 can this be rooted with this method? I have only owned Fire sticks but the male to male cables won't work with a HDMI lead? Is there another method other than soldering? Thanks for your help

tonyt3rry

Dec 28, 2010
Liverpool
Just asking a question, I am getting a Fire stick 2 can this be rooted with this method? I have only owned Fire sticks but the male to male cables won't work with a HDMI lead? Is there another method other than soldering? Thanks for your help
from what i read you can only root them by hardware root soldering to the emmc chip or something

---------- Post added at 10:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 PM ----------

Good question.
I just checked online for you, Argos, Currys, Sainsbury's, Tesco, Staples, Online stores, can't find any.
can't think of anywhere else what would sell them

I'm using Hotspot Shield app, and a other one too, but can't remember the name right now
I've not tested TeamViewer, I don't think it would need root access to work though.

i looked at maplin they had one for a quid but none in stock anywhere I just used the ebay link on the op and paid for first class, hope it comes saturday if not I should have root monday. I was trying to find converters for usb cables I already owned but had no joy finding any and thought it might not even work

ultimate_spy_binns

Nov 15, 2015
Birmingham

the Amazon fire stick can't be rooted with this method, but it can be hardware rooted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWfSyxYMsPA

from what i read you can only root them by hardware root soldering to the emmc chip or something

---------- Post added at 10:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 PM ----------

i looked at maplin they had one for a quid but none in stock anywhere I just used the ebay link on the op and paid for first class, hope it comes saturday if not I should have root monday. I was trying to find converters for usb cables I already owned but had no joy finding any and thought it might not even work

that's the one I purchased it arrived quite quickly from that eBay seller.

apcarr

Jul 24, 2015
cheers for this,it worked a treat...i happened to have a male to male usb cable but if you dont just make 1 there very easy to make with a couple of old cables,youtube it!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Please note!!! This tutorial is now old, and will only work for the following firmware 5.0.3
    I will make a new video tutorial soon, showing you how to root the 5.0.4 firmware in VMware, so please stay tuned.

To be safe run checkver.py every time you handshake since 5.0.4 is starting to roll out!

Hi guys, hopefully this tutorial helps out everyone having issues, or just too scared to take the plunge. but this will work on windows, since we are running it in a virtual machine.

Requirements!!!! to follow this tutorial.
    1. Male to Male USB.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251052828132?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
    2. VMWare workstation you can download that from here.
    3. The pre configured virtual machine, you can download that from here extract it to your desktop, or some where that you can find on your computer. Mirror

that's it!!!, just watch the video And follow me step by step, and you should have success.

Video link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZQqLoO6ojM

Commands used for copy and paste.
    Code:
    cd aftv2-tools
    ./handshake.py
    ./patch_mmc.sh 0x00000000058e0000 system.root.img system.diff
    adb shell
    su
    the sudo password is zeroepoch

PS guys, made this when I was really tired, so if I'm slurring my words please excuse me lol.

if you have any issues please post in the original thread here.
    but I doubt you will have any issues. I have managed to root 17 devices from today successfully, every time.

Edit troubleshooting, if you run into the problem, Where the process/patching, Gets Stuck or freezes, don't be alarmed, just press ctrl c key on your keyboard and try plugging in the Amazon box into a different USB port on your computer, and then start again.

@zeroepochHas also posted, a Ubuntu script to Make the process/patching easier, I haven't tested this in a virtual machine environment, will test next week when I get another box in. But If you are impatient you can get it from here

:good::good::good::good::good::angel:
    You need to remove lastaddr.txt from the directory before rooting a second device. I created an issue on the git repo page to remind myself to add this to the script when I get a chance.

Thank you for the info.

I was also wondering if you don't mind me modifying, your scripts slightly, I was going to build a GUI interface for it, in my spare time.

on the Check version script, once it has determined which version you are running on the box, it will automatically patch the correct files

So if you are running 5.0.3, it automatically select the folder called 5.0.3 with the patched files in, and start doing its job.

And if you are running 5.0.4 it automatically select the folder called 5.0.4, with the correct files to patch.

If this is making any sense to you.

It would make it easier on the end user, since they wouldn't have to download multiple versions etc.

Just thought I would ask.

Also been working on a driver auto install, for windows.
    Again to make things easier on the end-user, its near completion. Will have it wrapped up by end of the week, but as long as i don't have any delays, due to holidays and family and stuff.
    doesn't it remove SuperSU though? so you'd have to side load it to really be able to continue to use root?

Nope it stays there. SuperSU is part of /system after you do this patching which isn't touched. When you factory reset it only formats /data and sometimes /cache (don't think this device does /cache).
    Have Amazon updates gone past root now? Or is root still possible on the Amazon Fire TV 2?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

A firmware update hasn't been released yet, so it still possible to root.
    Thanks, if I root a new AFTV 2 today, can I disable auto updates or do I need to block all sources like router & every other possible source? Also does anyone know if the mame emulator is working good on the AFTV 2?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

You can block updates if you have root access by using the following commands in adb

Code:
    adb shell
    su

That will permanently disable updates on your Amazon Fire TV, if you watch the video tutorial I explained that.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone