Search This thread

jgoorn

Sep 10, 2018
Here is how you can enjoy your speaker on your Surface Duo:

Prerequisites:
Duo (obviously)
Root via magisk
internet

Step 1: Download V4A Viper4Android apk & install it: https://labs.xda-developers.com/store/app/com.pittvandewitt.viperfx
Step 2: Launch the ‘ViPER4Android’ app but do not install the drivers right now.
Step 3: Open ‘Magisk Manager’ and go to the ‘Downloads’ section of the app.
Step 4: Search and find the “Audio Modification Library” module and press the download icon next to it.
Step 5: Tap on the ‘INSTALL’ button to install the module on your device.
Step 6: Magisk module installer will prompt you to reboot but do not reboot your phone yet.
Step 7: Now go back to the ViPER4Android app, tap on “OK” to install the required V4A drivers.
Step 8: Grant the Superuser permissions to the app when prompted.
Step 9: After the drivers are installed, the device will automatically reboot.

To configure the speaker once magisk is working I have enabled these settings:

1) Master power
2) Playback gain control (strength 1) (maximum gain 3x) (output threshold -1.9dB)
3) FIR equalizer (small speakers)

This guide here : https://www.the***********.com/install-viper4android-android-10-guide/ helped me and they are definitely the source of this knowledge, but I thought I'd post here in case anyone else loved their device but hated the lackluster sound from factory.

muddtt

Nov 17, 2011
At least it's good to know that it's not a total hardware limitation. Hopefully Microsoft will add an equalizer or improve the audio in future updates.

navyfighter1218

Oct 14, 2020
Hmm not seeing it working. Running the latest android update. Everything installed correctly and per the guide but when I click on the driver status is says Enabled: No, Status Abnormal.

Not sure if that is just what it says or if its really not working. No sound difference when I turn on Master power, playback gain and equilizer. I see it in magisk and is enabled.

Edit: Nevermind. Rebooted again and now its working lol. Ignore more :)

Last edited:
Reactions: nguyenhongkhanhvy

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hmm not seeing it working. Running the latest android update. Everything installed correctly and per the guide but when I click on the driver status is says Enabled: No, Status Abnormal.

Not sure if that is just what it says or if its really not working. No sound difference when I turn on Master power, playback gain and equilizer. I see it in magisk and is enabled.

Edit: Nevermind. Rebooted again and now its working lol. Ignore more :)
    So does this make the earpiece speaker into a secondary faux stereo speaker?