• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Viper4Android Working on S6 Edge (Root)

Search This thread

nappent

Sep 17, 2010
Bothell, Wa
www.mys4.org
Here is how I got Viper4Android working on my stock rooted S6 Edge. This has been confirmed to work on the original S6 (non-Edge) version (see here).

Try it at your own risk. Also, if you don't know how to rename files, place new files under the "/System/" directory, change permissions, or disable system apps... don't even try to do this. Maybe in the future when we get a true custom recovery we can then create a flashable zip.

Below is what I did to get it to work:
1. Root your phone and install "Busybox". (Search to learn how)
- Example: BusyBox by Stephen (Stericson)

2. Download the latest of Viper4Android APK file and place it under "/System/Priv-app/Viper4Android/" folder. Don't attempt to install it just place the apk in this location. Also make both the Viper4Android folder and apk file have their permission set too 0755 or full access of 0777. ( Permission help, click here )
- Better Option: Alternative download to the Viper4Android APK, attached below. (I personaly use this, and others report better success. This Viper4Android version was originally created and post from this thread)
- Viper4Android Official Thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2191223

3. Locate the audio_effect.conf file under "/System/etc/" and rename it to "audio_effect.conf.bak". This is to save a copy of original file in case you need to revert back.

4. Download the new "audio_effect.conf.zip" (attached below) and extract the "audio_effect.conf" from the zip to the "/System/etc/" and "/vender/etc/" folders. Make sure the permissions are set to "0644" after dropping the audio_effect.conf in both locations. ( Permission help, click here )
- The "audio_effect.conf.zip" file includes the original stock audio_effect.conf and modified version so you can revert back if needed.

5. Using TitaniumBackup, freeze/disable the following apps:
  • Adapt Sound 4.0
  • SoundAlive 3.0

(if you skip the #5 step this install will never work)

6. Reboot your phone.

7. Open Viper4Android. You should be prompt to install drivers and allow superuser access. Do so, and reboot your phone once more.

8.You should be ready to use Viper4Android on your new S6 Edge or S6.

Best of luck!

Alternative Installation Method - Flashable Zip

Goto the following to learn how: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=60417795

In case you've never played with Viper4Android or just wanted to try out my effects settings, I've linked them below. In my opinion this can dramatically improve the audio quality with the stock Samsung earplugs.

Effect Profile: S6 Edge 20150402.
NOTE: This is not a flashable zip, you extract the folder into the "/storage/emulated/0/ViPER4Android/Profile". Then use the "Load Effect Profile" from within Viper4Android to get them going. Keep in mind this is tuned to my liking, it may not be great for all... but it's a good base to start from.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-04-03-21-39-22.png
    Screenshot_2015-04-03-21-39-22.png
    56.9 KB · Views: 25,326
  • audio_effect.conf.zip
    3 KB · Views: 58,536
  • ViPER4Android_FX_A4.x.zip
    5.1 MB · Views: 37,997
Last edited:

idksomuch

Mar 13, 2014
It didn't work for me, I did all the steps you listed, and installed busybox before even beginning. I've restarted multiple times, reinstalled Viper too. When I extracted the Viper4Android zip, there were two different apks, one that's 2.xx and one thats 4.xx.

nappent

Sep 17, 2010
Bothell, Wa
www.mys4.org
It didn't work for me, I did all the steps you listed, and installed busybox before even beginning. I've restarted multiple times, reinstalled Viper too. When I extracted the Viper4Android zip, there were two different apks, one that's 2.xx and one thats 4.xx.

Use the APK called ViPER4Android_FX_A4.x.apk. I've attached the APK I'm using to th OP.

Last edited:

idksomuch

Mar 13, 2014
That's the one I used,no luck. was I supposed to extract the zip file somewher?
Edit: on second thought,that may be a different file. I'll give it a try after class, thanks

Last edited:

Mr.Muscles

Jun 15, 2010
Orlando
This mod alone is so worth going back to android for. This was my bread and butter when it came to listening to music. People that tried my headphones on couldn't believe how perfect the sound was. Can't wait to get my S6 Edge.

Sent from my soon to be my Galaxy S6 Edge

Brava27

Sep 7, 2012
Toronto
I can't get it to work. Says busybox is not installed when it is, I have rebooted and everything but viper does not want to install without busybox.
Any ideas?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here is how I got Viper4Android working on my stock rooted S6 Edge. This has been confirmed to work on the original S6 (non-Edge) version (see here).

Try it at your own risk. Also, if you don't know how to rename files, place new files under the "/System/" directory, change permissions, or disable system apps... don't even try to do this. Maybe in the future when we get a true custom recovery we can then create a flashable zip.

Below is what I did to get it to work:
    1. Root your phone and install "Busybox". (Search to learn how)
    - Example: BusyBox by Stephen (Stericson)

2. Download the latest of Viper4Android APK file and place it under "/System/Priv-app/Viper4Android/" folder. Don't attempt to install it just place the apk in this location. Also make both the Viper4Android folder and apk file have their permission set too 0755 or full access of 0777. ( Permission help, click here )
    - Better Option: Alternative download to the Viper4Android APK, attached below. (I personaly use this, and others report better success. This Viper4Android version was originally created and post from this thread)
    - Viper4Android Official Thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2191223

3. Locate the audio_effect.conf file under "/System/etc/" and rename it to "audio_effect.conf.bak". This is to save a copy of original file in case you need to revert back.

4. Download the new "audio_effect.conf.zip" (attached below) and extract the "audio_effect.conf" from the zip to the "/System/etc/" and "/vender/etc/" folders. Make sure the permissions are set to "0644" after dropping the audio_effect.conf in both locations. ( Permission help, click here )
    - The "audio_effect.conf.zip" file includes the original stock audio_effect.conf and modified version so you can revert back if needed.

5. Using TitaniumBackup, freeze/disable the following apps:
    • Adapt Sound 4.0
    • SoundAlive 3.0

(if you skip the #5 step this install will never work)

6. Reboot your phone.

7. Open Viper4Android. You should be prompt to install drivers and allow superuser access. Do so, and reboot your phone once more.

8.You should be ready to use Viper4Android on your new S6 Edge or S6.

Best of luck!

Alternative Installation Method - Flashable Zip

Goto the following to learn how: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=60417795

In case you've never played with Viper4Android or just wanted to try out my effects settings, I've linked them below. In my opinion this can dramatically improve the audio quality with the stock Samsung earplugs.

Effect Profile: S6 Edge 20150402.
    NOTE: This is not a flashable zip, you extract the folder into the "/storage/emulated/0/ViPER4Android/Profile". Then use the "Load Effect Profile" from within Viper4Android to get them going. Keep in mind this is tuned to my liking, it may not be great for all... but it's a good base to start from.
    Flashable Zip - Test #2

Let me know if this flashable zip works. Flashing Instructions:
    1. Make sure you have Busybox installed
    2. Disable/freeze the System apps "Adapt Sound 4.0" & "SoundAlive 3.0"
    3. Reboot into recovery and flash this zip.

Again flash at your own risk. I've not tested this as I'm still waiting on an official TWRP Recovery release for the S6 Edge.

My To-Do List.
    I'm still trying to figure out a way to automatically disable/freeze the existing audio apps (Adapt Sound 4.0 & SoundAlive 3.0) without uninstalling them. If there is any flashable zip experts out there pm me.
    OK here is the method with NEON enabled (uses NEON drivers for best quality) for those who have SELinux enforcing e.g. rooted with pingpong.
    Start over from beginning. If you have it already revert anything back to stock. Uninstall viper drivers within the app, reboot. Delete the Viper4Android folder in "/System/Priv-app/Viper4Android/"
    Go back to the original audio_effect.conf in /System/etc/, delete the modified audio_effect.conf in "/vendor/etc/", reboot.

Make sure you have still frozen Adapt Sound 4.0 and SoundAlive 3.0. You can use App Quarantine free to freeze them, no need to spend any money.
    Make sure you are using super SU latest version to apply the policy.

Fresh install go from here:
    You need busybox and super su latest versions installed. Adapt Sound 4.0 and SoundAlive 3.0. must be frozen.

Create a folder /system/su.d/ chmod the folder to 0755 (Edit 26/6 according to chainfire 0700 is enough)
    Copy 50viper.sh (extract it from attachment) to /system/su.d/ chmod it 0755 (Edit 26/6 according to chainfire 0700 is enough), reboot the phone to apply the policy.
    Now rename your original audio_effect.conf in /system/etc/ to audio_effect.conf.bak
    Copy the modified audio_effect.conf from OP into it and chmod it to 0644 THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT otherwise you might get it bootlooping.
    Copy it again to "/vendor/etc/" and chmod it to 0644 THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT otherwise you might get it bootlooping.
    Install viper4android from the original Viper page, not from OP, the V4A v2.3.4.0 Update, but DO NOT RUN IT YET.
    Use the one Alarand has posted: Make sure you use the ViPER4Android_FX_A4.x.apk and not the older one. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=61201322&postcount=221

Go to its installation folder data/app/com.vipercn.viper4android_v2-1 Check to see if the lib folder is present inside data/app/com.vipercn.viper4android_v2-1 after installing, and set the com.vipercn.viper4android_v2-1 folder to 0755 permissions, including lib folder, all subsets and files before opening. (AFAIK most of it have it already, though)

Reboot the device!
    Execute viper4Android and install the drivers, you'll be prompted to choose the quality. After the installation reboot again.

**Disclaimer***

I am not responsible for any temporary issues in case something goes wrong. Be aware what you are doing!!! I have tested it myself and it works it is also confirmed by vishaljh.
    Updated instructions also with more details for those who have problems with impulse response / convolver not working.....
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=69455020&postcount=434 (Nov. 2016) :)

Instructions to install ViPER4Android_FX_v2401_A4.x-A6.x.apk on Android 6.0.1 which has STILL an Enforcing Stock kernel rooted with betasuperSU2.68 with systemless root method (default for 6.0.1).

Get ViPER4Android_FX_v2401_A4.x-A6.x.apk from the official page found here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2191223

Adapt Sound and SoundAlive must be frozen. I am using App Quarantine which is free.
    Install Busybox.

Copy 60viper.sh (which has correct paths for systemless root, it applies the same as the 50viper.sh did in order to have the Neon driver properly installed on an Enforcing kernel) into the already existing folder /su/su.d (where Chainfire's deepsleep fix is located) and chmod it 0700

Now rename your original audio_effects.conf in /system/etc/ to audio_effects.conf.bak
    Copy the modified audio_effect.conf (which is the same as on Android 5.x since the original hasn't changed on MM) into it and chmod it to 0644 THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT otherwise you might get it bootlooping.
    Copy it again to /vendor/etc/ and chmod it to 0644 THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT otherwise you might get it bootlooping.
    Of course the modified files from the attachment have to be renamed to their original names again!

Install ViPER4Android_FX_v2401_A4.x-A6.x.apk but do not run it yet. REBOOT!

Run ViPER4Android_FX_v2401_A4.x-A6.x.apk and install the driver and reboot again. DONE.

I also have attached the modified mixer_paths.xml which gains more volume. I have applied the same changes again to the 6.0.1 version of the F Variant. Other variants might have a different one.

The 60viper.sh script and the audio_effects.conf are universal, though.

**Disclaimer***

I am not responsible for any temporary issues in case something goes wrong. Be aware what you are doing!!! I have tested it myself and it works. This method does not require a permissive kernel.

Regards,
    Vaira
    Can't install if you don't have r/w to /system/priv-app.

Make sure /system/priv-app is rw with Root Explorer.
    Copy the Viper4.x apk to the folder.
    Set permissions to rwxr-xr-x(0755 in octal)
    Copy the audio_effects.conf file with rw-r--r--(0644 in octal) permissions
    Reboot your device.
    Icon will pop up in app drawer for Viper, open and install drivers. Reboot device
    With busybox now installed, you can go to Settings, Applications, Application Manager, All and now Force Stop and Disable both Adapt Sound and SoundAlive.

Reboot and Profit! It works with Play Music as well.