Vivo nex first steps in usa?

Search This thread

cmarkortiz

Sep 27, 2010
So been a while since i had a foreign phone(xiaomi) my nex s is arriving thur from AliExpress what are the first things i need to do to get it up and running on T-Mobile US? Its supposed to come preinstalled with google play but keep hearing i need a vivo account (with chinese #, ) to get apps running. Someone help a somewhat noob, thanks in advance.

KOLIOSIS

So been a while since i had a foreign phone(xiaomi) my nex s is arriving thur from AliExpress what are the first things i need to do to get it up and running on T-Mobile US? Its supposed to come preinstalled with google play but keep hearing i need a vivo account (with chinese #, ) to get apps running. Someone help a somewhat noob, thanks in advance.
There's already a NOOB thread,got lots of good info:
https://xdaforums.com/nex/help/help-thread-question-noob-friendly-2018-t3806039

You don't have to do anything special to get it working on T-Mobile, it'll automatically select the proper APN.

As for getting it set up for Google services:
Go to the VIVO App Market (no VIVO account needed for setting up GOOGLE) ,then type google and you will see:

zuax7Okl.jpg

Then click "下载" button on the first app ,then it will download and automatically install on your phone.
Then go to your phone's "file manager " and go to button and you will see this app:"Google Play1.apk",then click it to install.
And you will see this :

Y8GHY4yl.jpg

Click continue installation button to install it,then Google Play will work.

Last edited:

Grom8

Jul 3, 2018

You don't have to do anything special to get it working on T-Mobile, it'll automatically select the proper APN.

Go to the VIVO App Market (no VIVO account needed for setting up GOOGLE) ,then type google and you will see:

zuax7Okl.jpg

Then click "下载" button on the first app ,then it will download and automatically install on your phone.
Then go to your phone's "file manager " and go to button and you will see this app:"Google Play1.apk",then click it to install.
And you will see this :

Y8GHY4yl.jpg

ATM, there's not a lot to sort through, give all the threads a look, you'll get an idea of what to expect before you get the phone in hand.

Sent from my HUAWEI BKL-L04 using XDA Labs

Is there an ADB guide to delete all the bloatware off the phone, or is it just a generic process I can find on youtube?

KOLIOSIS

Is there an ADB guide to delete all the bloatware off the phone, or is it just a generic process I can find on youtube?

I've asked the same question elsewhere in the forum here,as to what specifically would be considered safe to delete,never got a response from the person who'd used ADB to disable/delete the VIVO Bloat.

There's this generic tutorial here:
https://www.xda-developers.com/uninstall-carrier-oem-bloatware-without-root-access/

As to what is safe,as a rule, it's about the same across the board from one mfg to the next,but,I don't have a VIVO-specific "safe list".

Last edited:

Grom8

Jul 3, 2018
I've asked the same question elsewhere in the forum here,as to what specifically would be considered safe to delete,never got a response from the person who'd used ADB to disable/delete the VIVO Bloat.

There's this generic tutorial here,as to what is safe,I'm sure it's,as a rule,about the same across the board from one mfg to the next,but,I don't have a VIVO-specific "safe list":
https://www.xda-developers.com/uninstall-carrier-oem-bloatware-without-root-access/

Thank you very much, I will go through it now and report back :)

EDIT: I didn't want to uninstall things that I felt were risky but everything I did "uninstall" using the guide was "safe"
I accidently closed console so I dont have a complete list of what I uninstalled (stupid mistake)

BUT it included:
vivo.com
vivo app store
vivo voice recorders
ALL Jovi applications and system apps (Jovi is unresponsive and does not open yay, but the screen shot Chinese store search still operates. I'm not sure what to uninstall to get rid of that)
all the vivo apps that were labeled only in Chinese and contained Chinese payment/social media applications that weren't system apps
imusic
imanager
browser
funtouch launcher
email
all applications that are replaceable by a working google version etc

There are system applications that I want to uninstall but they may play critical roles and I don't want to risk bricking the phone, basically I followed a rule that if it sounded like it did something important and/or was a system service DO NOT uninstall.

PS: These things worked for my phone and so far I haven't come across any issue. I do not take responsibility if the same does not work on your phone or something worse happens.

Last edited:
Reactions: KOLIOSIS

cmarkortiz

Sep 27, 2010

zuax7Okl.jpg

And you will see this :

Y8GHY4yl.jpg

ATM, there's not a lot to sort through, give all the threads a look, you'll get an idea of what to expect before you get the phone in hand.

Thanks when phone arrives Thursday ill try this, thanks for link to noob section, just want to be able to have my gmails come through, text and pic messages work and be able to install games.

cmarkortiz

Sep 27, 2010

zuax7Okl.jpg

And you will see this :

Y8GHY4yl.jpg

How do I get rid of the dual clock widget on home screen and add Google search bar with the single location widget from my location?

KOLIOSIS

How do I get rid of the dual clock widget on home screen and add Google search bar with the single location widget from my location?

Press & hold until you see an "X" ,tap it & the offending widget should disappear.
To add a widget,swipe up from the bottom of the screen to bring up the quick settings,you should see a list of widgets available at the very bottom.
Scroll through until you see what you want,press/hold & drag to desktop.

JMHO,you'd be better off using Nova or virtually any 3rd party launcher other than stock,a lot more customization options & a helluva lot easier to navigate...

Reactions: t7gc7

t7gc7

Mar 21, 2017
Press & hold until you see an "X" ,tap it & the offending widget should disappear.
To add a widget,swipe up from the bottom of the screen to bring up the quick settings,you should see a list of widgets available at the very bottom.

JMHO,you'd be better off using Nova or virtually any 3rd party launcher other than stock,a lot more customization options & a helluva lot easier to navigate...

For add a widget Press & hold the middle of the screen and you will see them at the bottom.

Welltester13

Jul 15, 2018
How has your vivo been working in T-Mobile? Is LTE available? Really want to buy this phone but internet speed is one of my concerns . Thanks.

Welltester13

Jul 15, 2018
Thanks koliosis, I think I'll get the 845 variant. I have the Mi mix 2S right now and it's great. I was holding out for the Mi mix 3 but this Nex phone looks amazing. I'm just not too familiar with data bands and thought the 3 out of 5 stars for 4g meant no LTE.

KOLIOSIS

Thanks koliosis, I think I'll get the 845 variant. I have the Mi mix 2S right now and it's great. I was holding out for the Mi mix 3 but this Nex phone looks amazing. I'm just not too familiar with data bands and thought the 3 out of 5 stars for 4g meant no LTE.

With my usage, I can verify the SD 845 Model gets T-Mobile US Bands 2/4/12. :good:

KOLIOSIS

Great news , one last question . How has your overall experience been with the NEX ?

Short-lived,I sold mine & ordered the Oppo Find X.
If you're looking for aftermarket development,look elsewhere.
The weirdness of the Funtouch U/I can be overcome,all the info to do so is posted in the forum here.
One BTW that's not well-known:
No NFC on-board...............................

KOLIOSIS

Thank You ,you've been very helpful, that oppo find x caught my eye as well.

I switch phones quite frequently, so, my short time with the phone isn't a true indicator of my experience with it.
Overall, it worked for me, the specs, display/audio/camera, IMHO, are top notch.

Lack of NFC is a non-factor for me, so, I'd rate it an 8 of 10,losing two points for the Funtouch U/I, however as I mentioned, if you wish, that can be customized to your liking, it will just take a bit more work to get it that way.

Reactions: Welltester13

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

There's this generic tutorial here,as to what is safe,I'm sure it's,as a rule,about the same across the board from one mfg to the next,but,I don't have a VIVO-specific "safe list":

Thank you very much, I will go through it now and report back :)

EDIT: I didn't want to uninstall things that I felt were risky but everything I did "uninstall" using the guide was "safe"
    I accidently closed console so I dont have a complete list of what I uninstalled (stupid mistake)

BUT it included:
    vivo.com
    vivo app store
    vivo voice recorders
    ALL Jovi applications and system apps (Jovi is unresponsive and does not open yay, but the screen shot Chinese store search still operates. I'm not sure what to uninstall to get rid of that)
    all the vivo apps that were labeled only in Chinese and contained Chinese payment/social media applications that weren't system apps
    imusic
    imanager
    browser
    funtouch launcher
    email
    all applications that are replaceable by a working google version etc

There are system applications that I want to uninstall but they may play critical roles and I don't want to risk bricking the phone, basically I followed a rule that if it sounded like it did something important and/or was a system service DO NOT uninstall.

PS: These things worked for my phone and so far I haven't come across any issue. I do not take responsibility if the same does not work on your phone or something worse happens.

I switch phones quite frequently, so, my short time with the phone isn't a true indicator of my experience with it.
    Overall, it worked for me, the specs, display/audio/camera, IMHO, are top notch.

Lack of NFC is a non-factor for me, so, I'd rate it an 8 of 10,losing two points for the Funtouch U/I, however as I mentioned, if you wish, that can be customized to your liking, it will just take a bit more work to get it that way.