Question Vivo X Fold: OEM unlock seems to be there, root anyone?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I unlocked bootloader and rooted, I usee DSU Loader and dd command to extract boot.img from the device. (search it)
    Note that the device must be before 2022-04-30 compile time to unlock bootloader, latest firmware blocks unlocking.
    I'm searching fro DSU loader info — never used it before — and reading up on it. Thanks for the pointer.

Just for more details if I may:

— dd boot partition — understood; Looking now for how to via DSU loader.
    — Then you patch via Magisk Manager I assume, right?
    — How do you then flash back to phone? DSU loader again? Or is that where it's “magic ” comes in, it creates a virtual partitIon somewhere, placed modified boot there and you boot off of it?
    — If the above is the case, do you boot modified via some boot combo?
    — If it isn't the case, could you briefly describe?

Many thanks. :O)

Maybe it's easier to use DSU Sideloader app.

The step to root is:

1. Download AOSP GSI (system-squeak-arm64-ab-vanilla.img.xz) from Phhusson

2. Once you prepared DSU, reboot from notification to boot into DSU's image

3. Connect USB cable

4. Run these commands in command prompt or powershell:
    adb shell
    su
    dd if=/dev/block/by-name/boot of=/data/local/tmp/boot.img
    chown shell.shell /data/local/tmp/boot.img

5. Exit adb shell and run this command to pull boot.img:
    adb pull /data/local/tmp/boot.img

6. Patch boot.img with Magisk app

7. Reboot into bootloader and run:
    fastboot flash boot magisk_patched_[random].img

> Note that the device must be before 2022-04-30 compile time to unlock bootloader, latest firmware blocks unlocking.

Does that mean after you unlock, you won't be able to install any Android updates or security patches (and remain unlocked)?
    No, you can get OTA update even after unlocking and remain unlocked.
    First attempt will fail but then updater app downloads full zip automatically.
    Many thanks for the details.

I'm trying to find a pre-end-of-April device seller online now… :O)

BTW — is there a clean reflash or something option to rescue Vivo devices — if you brick it after root? Just factory reset from Recovery would do I guess.

Reason being — sometimes you're too eager to do somethIng and end up in a bootloop — happens to me from time to time - and I guess here the risk would be significant having to freeze all the China bloatware…

I would think there is Recovvery reset — but best to ask, I've never seen a Vivo device…
    Yes, factory reset from recovery or flash correct partition from fastboot (in case you flashed wrong/corrupted image).
    There's EDL mode too, but I don't know if it can be used.
    Many thanks! :0)

Is there a way to buy such a device online? Do you know any seller who will check and guarantee this?
    I don't know, you should ask seller to see if they can do it...
    Yes, factory reset from recovery or flash correct partition from fastboot (in case you flashed wrong/corrupted image).
    There's EDL mode too, but I don't know if it can be used.
    edl can't be used, needs authorization from vivo