General Vivo X Fold: tips and tricks

Search This thread

Bryan839

Nov 18, 2009
Hi Team X fold - thanks so much for all the help and tips so far. I'm just about to pull the trigger on buying this phone, encouraged by the fact that most of the issues seems to have viable fixes.

I'm not a user of Google messages really, so not too worried about that, the only thing that's a real shame is Android Auto compatibility; which I'm hoping might get fixed in the coming software updates.

I'm in the UK - can anyone here from the UK give their experience so far on Three or o2 networks?

Thanks!
From the UK too, I’m using Vodafone. Mega shame about lack of android auto :(

rocky272727

Oct 8, 2011
Toronto
Has anyone been able to use the LinkedIn app in North America, keeps telling me I am not in China, my location is set to Canada.

Nov 18, 2008
Hello to all,
I have read all the pages here and I've seen almost all videos that are available on youtube about the Vivo X fold.

I am currently having galaxy fold 2 and I am about to change to a new foldable device.
I am interesting to see how will the mix fold 2 and galaxy fold 4 will end up being. After checking all the leaks about fold 4, I am not sure if I am interesting on that device, because for me it really matters the outer display.

Mate xs 2 is actually having an outer display that I would definetely appreciate and like but well everyone knows about Huawei ban and the disadvantages of mate xs 2.

So, I am very interestimg about Vivo X Fold and I would like to ask the people having this device if it is worth to make the leap of faith on this China exclusive device.

There are few things that I am interesting to know and I would gladly appreciate your feedback on:
- I have seen that you can select to multitask horizontal but is that possible with youtube? I would like to know from someone that have actually tried it. Moreover, when you split screen is it possible to adjust the size of each screen? Or is it always fixed 50-50? That questions includes both horizontal and vertical.
- Can Netflix also open in split screen horizontal? Samsung does even open Netflix on split screen.
- Is there any way to connect my Vivo on TV either by wire or wireless and have something similar like dex from Samsung? What I am able to do with my current Samsung is connect the device on TV and dex goes fullscreen and then I can open VLC player and watch movies stored on my device. Will that be possible somehow with Vivo X Fold?
- What about the inner camera? Can apps scale to ignore the hole and cover the full screen of the device?
- Lastly I hear and read a lot about notifications. The most I care are the email notifications from my work. Right now I am using outlook and it is working fine. Will outlook app give me instant notifications when a new mail comes on Vivo X Fold? If not is there any solution to that? Any email app that actually works perfectly notifications wise with X Fold? What about notifications coming from messenger, skype and discord apps?

Thank you very much for your time and sorry for the long post.
Have a great day to all.
HI, I can answer your questions and hope it helps:
1. If you using apps in Playstore, split screen for multi-tasking, the screen always vertical (even you turn the phone in landscape) and it fixed 50/50, can't adjust the size.The only way you can make it horizontal is using Vivo apps.
2. I don't use Netflix
3. U can connect vivo to TV by wire using USB C to HDMI or mirroring to TV/Monitor but Vivo don't have anything like DEX yet
4. About inner camera,you can make apps cover the full screen of the device and ignore the hole but you have to do it for each apps on Display settings
5. I am using Yahoo Mail and it work good,I got all the notifications for my email and messenger.

Squallara

Jun 30, 2022
HI, I can answer your questions and hope it helps:
1. If you using apps in Playstore, split screen for multi-tasking, the screen always vertical (even you turn the phone in landscape) and it fixed 50/50, can't adjust the size.The only way you can make it horizontal is using Vivo apps.
2. I don't use Netflix
3. U can connect vivo to TV by wire using USB C to HDMI or mirroring to TV/Monitor but Vivo don't have anything like DEX yet
4. About inner camera,you can make apps cover the full screen of the device and ignore the hole but you have to do it for each apps on Display settings
5. I am using Yahoo Mail and it work good,I got all the notifications for my email and messenger.
Thank you very much for your answers.

So if I you connect phone with TV, does it goes fullscreen on TV or is it just the phone screen size that shows on TV with black all around?

Also what about software updates? Do they come?
Has anyone got any updates from Vivo?

djleez82

May 28, 2010
New South Wales
Nice.

Did you look what those updates were for?
Did they improve anything meaningful in user experience?
First one was a few hundred megabytes big and was a fix for Bluetooth. Second was over a gigabyte with may security patch and other fixes. Still seems to be performing about the same, though I'm not having the issues a lot of people here are having.
Connects to Australian networks fine and the switch to light mode/remove vivo.pem trick brought back notifications. All in all quite happy with it.

Reactions: minimarcy

Squallara

Jun 30, 2022
First one was a few hundred megabytes big and was a fix for Bluetooth. Second was over a gigabyte with may security patch and other fixes. Still seems to be performing about the same, though I'm not having the issues a lot of people here are having.
Connects to Australian networks fine and the switch to light mode/remove vivo.pem trick brought back notifications. All in all quite happy with it.
Nice!

I am so close to do the leap of faith and get this phone.

Reactions: hazemfive

Squallara

Jun 30, 2022
I was the same. Just pushed myself to finally get it, figuring I could put it up on ebay if it didn't work out and get most of my money back. Turns out it's not necessary.
Nice!

What phone did you have before and have you ever used any of the galaxy fold phones?
I am currently having galaxy fold 2 and I am just wondering if I am going to miss important stuff I got used to use with this phone.

From 0 to 10 scale how much satisfied are you with Vivo X fold?

Reactions: hazemfive

atilcan

Jun 27, 2010
I guess noone from turkey in forum use this phone. I will also do a leap of faith and buy this phone as turkcell coverage and bands are similar.to vodafone

• Haha
Reactions: ZedYago01

djleez82

May 28, 2010
New South Wales
Nice!

What phone did you have before and have you ever used any of the galaxy fold phones?
I am currently having galaxy fold 2 and I am just wondering if I am going to miss important stuff I got used to use with this phone.

From 0 to 10 scale how much satisfied are you with Vivo X fold?
I have owned all the folds from the beginning, and a flip 3. The biggest thing for me to try the x fold was the large front screen. The thin one on fold 3 was always too narrow and I basically avoided it as much as I could. I use the front screen on the x fold as much as I use the inside screen with nova launcher basically doing everything I need with the odd software foible I can get around easily or isn't a deal breaker in general use. Plus that camera is night and day better than the fold3's.

The biggest issue I ran into was trying to get YouTube vanced working as the install kept not working and making the app constantly freeze and I was worried I was going to have to pay for premium, then I discovered revanced lite version and it's working no probs.

It's hard to rate cause there's obviously things you have to do to this phone to make it work as a western phone would, and most people wouldn't bother and just want everything to go from the first moment. But if you've been into Android modding since the beginning like I have been this basic work around stuff is child's play to do. For me the outside screen and camera tip it over the edge compared to Samsung's folds.

If you don't mind the extra few things you'll need to do at the start to set it up to work more normally it's hard to beat. But if the extra stuff scares you then just go with the fold4 when it comes out in a few months. Though it's cover screen won't be much bigger.

Reactions: G.I. Jew

Allografter

May 15, 2022
Vivo X Fold
I have owned all the folds from the beginning, and a flip 3. The biggest thing for me to try the x fold was the large front screen. The thin one on fold 3 was always too narrow and I basically avoided it as much as I could. I use the front screen on the x fold as much as I use the inside screen with nova launcher basically doing everything I need with the odd software foible I can get around easily or isn't a deal breaker in general use. Plus that camera is night and day better than the fold3's.

The biggest issue I ran into was trying to get YouTube vanced working as the install kept not working and making the app constantly freeze and I was worried I was going to have to pay for premium, then I discovered revanced lite version and it's working no probs.

It's hard to rate cause there's obviously things you have to do to this phone to make it work as a western phone would, and most people wouldn't bother and just want everything to go from the first moment. But if you've been into Android modding since the beginning like I have been this basic work around stuff is child's play to do. For me the outside screen and camera tip it over the edge compared to Samsung's folds.

If you don't mind the extra few things you'll need to do at the start to set it up to work more normally it's hard to beat. But if the extra stuff scares you then just go with the fold4 when it comes out in a few months. Though it's cover screen won't be much bigger.
Couldn't have put it better myself

Squallara

Jun 30, 2022

Nice overview.
I am not scared of going the extra mile.
I want to change my fold 2 because of the outer screen and the gap when it closes because every time EVERY @#$$&% time I get it out of my pockets, I have to always clean the inner screen. So annoying.
Yes I have read about fold 4 and I am not excited.
I just waited for Xiaomi's event on Monday to see if they will announce the mix fold 2 and how it will be.
If they do not then I will insta order Vivo X fold.
Thanks for your replies.

One last thing if you know.
If you connect your X fold on TV, iether wired or wireless, does it go fullscreen on TV or only phones screen size with black all around?
It is something rather important for me since I am connecting my phone on TV very often.

Top Liked Posts

Could you please provide the link to the exact one? Ultrasonic fingerprint scanners are picky especially with glass tempered screens and I definitely don't want the UV glued ones.
    Here you go, I bought the Edge glue.
    I have had a chance now to try the Fold 4, Vivo X Fold, the Oppo Find N and the Xiaomi Mi Fold 2. Overall, I think hardware wise, the Vivo takes the cake. Software wise, the Xiaomi is much more usable as an English-only device (except the stock keyboard). The build quality is solid and it came with a really nice case in the box. The Oppo offered the least amount of customization, but the small form factor has its place and was really great on a recent trip when space in pockets was tight. I am most disappointed with the Fold 4, as it barely seems different than the Fold 3, which was a lukewarm device for me in the first place. Vivo will gladly be my daily driver.
    Guys......wifi calling is enabled with this update.... Amazing news
    Screenshot 2022-09-01 142134.png
    Well, it seems that I have skipped the last update and got a more recent one. Now all apps can be added to the sidebar and can be put into floating windows, which is just great.
    i went to their forum, nagged about their OS and lacked of multiwindows features and finally they listened.
    Hi

Do you have any issue with the fingerprint and Canadian's bank apps like RBC or National Bank etc. to log in with the fingerprint ? I mean do you need to enter your PIN before in the apps ? Or the fingerprint only work good ? Thanks for your words !
    No issues with banking apps
    Could you please provide the link to the exact one? Ultrasonic fingerprint scanners are picky especially with glass tempered screens and I definitely don't want the UV glued ones.
    Here you go, I bought the Edge glue.
    Finally successfully root my X Fold.
    System Version is 15.7, here's my original boot.img without patch, hope this is useful to you guys.

And this is the 15.7 OTA package link which I intercept by wireshark.

And is there anyone know how to connect Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 to Vivo X fold?
    Tried for a few hours, but didn't get any solution.

Screenshot_20220624_034222.jpg
    Screenshot_20220624_034154.jpg
    Screenshot_20220624_034125.jpg
    Please share you knowledge/tips/tricks
    images.jpeg
    What needs to happen in order to get an official forum? Is it time? Post interest? World domination?
    Extracted from update log:

Communications: Fixed the occasional issue where no floating window appears on the lock screen for incoming calls after Accessibility calls is enabled

Fingerprint, face, and password: Fixed the issue of fingerprint unlock occasionally failingFixed the occasional issue where there is no response on the off screen when you use fingerprint unlockFixed the occasional issue where the fingerprint icon does not disappear on the WeChat call interface
    Super screenshotFixed the occasional issue of content loss when you take long screenshots in some apps

Notifications & status bar: Optimized the message notification logic to fix the issue where floating message icons and message notification pop-ups appear alternately when there is an incoming WeChat message while you are playing a short video

Input method: Fixed the occasional issue where the keyboard blocks the input box on the chat interface of WeChat in some scenariosFixed the occasional issue where the keyboard disappears and cannot be brought up in some scenariosFixed the occasional issue where the input method window shakes or flickers in some scenarios

Apps: Fixed the occasional issue where your phone automatically switches to portrait mode when you open a WeChat chat history pack in landscape mode

Jovi Voice: Fixed the occasional issue where Voice Assistant cannot be woken up after you change the announcement role
    DeformerFixed the occasional issue of unresponsiveness when you change the wallpaper or theme in Mood Cube

Easy Touch: Fixed the occasional issue where icons of frequently used apps are not displayed properly after you open the Easy Touch menu
    Core componentsFixed the occasional issue of abnormal display when you change the sticker on the home screen

Home screen: Fixed the occasional issue where the Origin Notes icon is not located properly on the home screen

iManager: Fixed the occasional issue of abnormal interface display of Battery management in iManager

SystemOptimized: the sensitivity of the light sensor to improve the responsiveness of Auto-brightnessOptimized system operating performance and enhanced system stabilityOptimized the icon display effects of some buttons in third-party appsFixed the occasional issue of abnormal interface display in some apps when the font size is set to LargestFixed the occasional issue where the standby screen needs to be loaded when you fold or unfold your deviceFixed the occasional issue where "Auto-sync" in Cloud Albums does not work after you switch to the backgroundFixed the occasional issue where your phone keeps vibrating when you charge it while the screen is offFixed the occasional issue where the status bar disappears from the standby screen when you return to it from some apps in some scenarios
    Hey guys, two days ago I got my X fold delivered. Big thanks to Wonda Mobile for a 3 days delivery from Asia to UK!
    Interestingly enough I am getting notifications on I think everything with dark mode enabled! Have not deleted any of Vivo's apps and I have not disabled anything. The only place I don't see notifications, other than calls and smses is the always on display.
    I'm in London on Smarty (runs on the 3UK network) and have 5G everywhere I had it with my S21 Ultra (it is even better I think) getting more than 700mbs
    I have checked and all UK operators are running their 5G networs on bands supportd by the phone.
    The only major problem I have is the connection to my Tickwatch 3 pro ultra gps. The Wear OS app (from play store) will connect to the watch but not go through the setup proces after selecting my google account. Just spins and nothing... Tried with the Chinese Ware OS app but during setup it tells me that for decices otside of China I should use the one from the play store. Any help on this would be helpful.
    Regarding notifications I just went and enabled everything in app info notifications and permissions sections for the apps I need and also in the single permissions section.
    Ask me for specific things and I might be able to test them for you guys.