General Vivo X Fold: tips and tricks

Search This thread

Inversity

Jul 24, 2016
You CANNOT make the phone work on AT&T, period. Either ditch the phone, or change carrier (that's what I did) - those are your only options. Before switching to T-Mobile, I was having the exact same issues you have, and I worked with AT&T's advanced technical support supervisor, who was speaking directly to their network engineers about this issue.

Without going into lengthy details - AT&T network is currently incompatible with this device. They have 2 options: they can either set your device as 'PDA' in their network and provision it as such, and then data works fine, but no phone calls. Or they can set it as Next Gen 4G/5G device, which has to use "nextgenphone" APN, but unfortunately their network is configured in such a way that when they set your device as a Next Gen phone - it has to recognize the phone model or their reps have to be able to manually set it by selecting from pre-defined list of manufacturers and devices, in order to provision 4G/5G data on the device . Currently, AT&T network is not able to recognize this device, and they are unable to set the device make and model manually, because the entire 'Vivo" brand is not on their manufacturers list. You can confirm this by logging into your AT&T account and trying to change your device in the account settings online. RIght now it will show as either Unknown Device, or wrong model from different brand. If you try to change the device - AT&T site will bring up a list of manufacturers to select from, and Vivo will not be on that list.
I am happy to state that this is no longer the case. I activated my Vivo X Fold with no issues on AT&T. After the latest October update from Vivo, Full 5G and VoLTE are working perfectly on AT&T (They previously did not function prior to this update). I will provide screenshots if you'd like. The one thing that's not working is WiFi calling, which I usually expect since AT&T is really stubborn with Wifi Calling on unlocked devices. But this phone is definitely able to work on AT&T.

Last edited:

Smartphoner

Jun 5, 2009
Alexandria
My secondary phone is the S22U and is definitely one of the best regarding photo quality and zooming capability.
As for vivo's folded size; it's not that bad since it's thin. I think it's better than the bulky Z Fold 4.

Marius Marius

Nov 15, 2022
and interesting where you bought it from ? Wondamobile price is 1400euro, while giztop 1630 euro for fold+. very strange why there is such a price difference.

samvel2001

Jan 16, 2017
Unfortunately VoLTE is greyed out in the Radio menu (*##4636#*#*). I have tried Telus and Bell SIMs as well as my own Rogers SIM. As a corporate customer I've spoken to Rogers Business Tech Support and they have confirmed that Vivo phones 'have not been certified' for use on their network and therefore they won't enable VoLTE. I have filled a complaint with the CRTC and with Rogers Business.
Sometimes you need to turn on and off the Carrier provisioning using the code similar to *#*#........#*#* look online you can find those hidden menu codes

Smartphoner

Jun 5, 2009
Alexandria
Anyone figured out a way or found an app to add a video wallpaper on the lockscreen only without applying it on the home screen? I tried many apps but they apply it for both.

samvel2001

Jan 16, 2017
Hi Everyone,
Thinking to get this phone from wondamobile.. but have few questions. Quickly checked this thread but seems no answer visible.
1. google photos are working on this phone ?
2. i am not gamer (only chess :)) and asking if my daily apps are working normaly
Viber, chrome, youtube, messenger, facebook, waze, banking apps, netflix HD ?
By normaly, i mean if all notifications and usually stuff i sworking fine ? i know some things has to be done for notification its not big deal...

I had huawei mate 40 pro, and thought i will survive with workarounds for google play stuff but in the end of day I sold it :D
Scared to be the same situation as it cost like ~1.4k euro.

Thanks guys !!!!
Hi,
1) I am using Google photos as my main photo app,
2) I am using chrome as my main browser and as a matter of fact I am on XDa website uding chrome on my Vivo X fold +.
3) I have Capital one Wells Fargo, Chase, Discover and Amex all working. Google pay and google wallet also working and it did verify my card using Capital One app. What's app working no issues Facebook as well I have messenger but not using it much so I am not sure what you need to knoe regarding the messenger app.
4) Netflix HD videos are playing not sure about 4k HDR, but on such a small screen it's not noticeable.

samvel2001

Jan 16, 2017
I am happy to state that this is no longer the case. I activated my Vivo X Fold with no issues on AT&T. After the latest October update from Vivo, Full 5G and VoLTE are working perfectly on AT&T (They previously did not function prior to this update). I will provide screenshots if you'd like. The one thing that's not working is WiFi calling, which I usually expect since AT&T is really stubborn with Wifi Calling on unlocked devices. But this phone is definitely able to work on AT&T.
How do you get the 5g on att I tried almost every options but I am getting 5g next to antena sign when I turn on the phone and than it dissapears after a few seconds. Can confirm 4g and Volte isworking also I am able to get a 5g on T-Mobile sim 2 tray.

domineus

Jun 16, 2007
is there a tutorial for this? or could you explain how I would manage that?
I posted root directions if you're on BLU. There's also some threads on a custom fastboot to mitigate BLU through a race condition. Not sure if it still works and I'm not willing to honestly test it by relocking my bootloader

yesso440

Feb 11, 2012
USA
Anyone have a solution for the battery optimization that gets reset on every restart or by it self resets the high usage selection?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221122_122828.jpg
    Screenshot_20221122_122828.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 26

rocky272727

Oct 8, 2011
Toronto
A lot of the changes I see thus far are under the hood improvements and creating a cohesive standard for the vivo x fold. It's a huge update (7.5 GB) and I am just getting my head around the changes.

The most immediate changes I see are:
  • smoother interface (smoother than the iphone 14 pro ios16 beta 2 as Universe Ice pointed out)
  • Themed widgets to match light mode and dark mode
  • Stable - it feels more stable. Switching between apps feel effortless compared to android 12
The biggest change I see with this standardization surprisingly came in the way of GSI's and custom roms. The developers have a booting build of Android 13 for the vivo x fold and I spent some time to test it. I think there's some cellular issues that need to be worked out but I'm stunned LineageOS even boots let alone works in some capacity.

I'm still putting the vivo x fold with Android 13 in its paces but so far it is super promising. I'll probably root this soon so I can have some of my root friendly apps on there
Public beta for OS 3 will be coming out on 25th Nov 2022. Check your system settings, update for trial beta.

Reactions: darzy88

domineus

Jun 16, 2007
Public beta for OS 3 will be coming out on 25th Nov 2022. Check your system settings, update for trial beta.
You will definitely enjoy it.

If you are BLU try the google gsi - it kinda works amazingly well

Reactions: rocky272727

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Noticing delayed notification for all the apps post update to the trial version 13.1.12. Anybody else facing similar issue ?
    Hello everybody. Since I installed Android 13 on my x fold plus, my fingerprint sensor no longer works. Anyone else having the same problem and know how to fix it? Thank you
    I have the official Android 13 "stable" release and the only bug is the dark theme one.
    It seems, we need to identity the value of this button... anyway i see on list a lot of feature and a lot of value of buttons... but i can't confirm because i'm always in silent mode... 🙊🤡
    Finally successfully root my X Fold.
    System Version is 15.7, here's my original boot.img without patch, hope this is useful to you guys.

And this is the 15.7 OTA package link which I intercept by wireshark.

And is there anyone know how to connect Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 to Vivo X fold?
    Tried for a few hours, but didn't get any solution.

Screenshot_20220624_034222.jpg
    Screenshot_20220624_034154.jpg
    Screenshot_20220624_034125.jpg
    Well, it seems that I have skipped the last update and got a more recent one. Now all apps can be added to the sidebar and can be put into floating windows, which is just great.
    i went to their forum, nagged about their OS and lacked of multiwindows features and finally they listened.
    Please share you knowledge/tips/tricks
    images.jpeg
    Just got my X Fold yesterday in Canada and loving it so far. I have 5G on the videotron network and forced the 5G radio by using the app "ForceLTE" in the Play Store. I previously used this app to enable 5G for my Oppo Find N and it has worked on both phones with China ROM. I change the settings to "NR/LTE/GSM/WCDMA" under set preferred network type. After a few moments I have full 5G signal.

I also have managed to get all notifications working using the methods described by Greggles on YouTube. I noticed that even though notifications were being delivered, that they would not appear on the lockscreen. I isolated the culprit to be "Smart Notifications" under "Notifications and Status Bar". By turning that thing off, all my notifications started to appear on the lockscreen. I also ensured that "Google Basic Service Management" was turned on under "Accounts and Sync" which seemed to also help with notification issues.

Lastly, I followed the steps to set up a Vivo account to set a default launcher from a 3rd party app also outlined by Greggles. I have been using Niagara for quite some time and it scaled beautifully for outer screen and inner screen (see photo).

I can say that I have tried most foldables (Z Fold 1/2/3, Surface Duo 1/2, Oppo Find N), and the X Fold has so far delivered the best experience so far. It was well worth it. Happy to see many others enjoying too!
    Hey guys, two days ago I got my X fold delivered. Big thanks to Wonda Mobile for a 3 days delivery from Asia to UK!
    Interestingly enough I am getting notifications on I think everything with dark mode enabled! Have not deleted any of Vivo's apps and I have not disabled anything. The only place I don't see notifications, other than calls and smses is the always on display.
    I'm in London on Smarty (runs on the 3UK network) and have 5G everywhere I had it with my S21 Ultra (it is even better I think) getting more than 700mbs
    I have checked and all UK operators are running their 5G networs on bands supportd by the phone.
    The only major problem I have is the connection to my Tickwatch 3 pro ultra gps. The Wear OS app (from play store) will connect to the watch but not go through the setup proces after selecting my google account. Just spins and nothing... Tried with the Chinese Ware OS app but during setup it tells me that for decices otside of China I should use the one from the play store. Any help on this would be helpful.
    Regarding notifications I just went and enabled everything in app info notifications and permissions sections for the apps I need and also in the single permissions section.
    Ask me for specific things and I might be able to test them for you guys.