Question Vivo X Fold VoLTE access in Canada?

Search This thread

Ahmedjasjar

Sep 16, 2007
Heya fellow Canucks, Just recently acquired the X fold 256gb used in mint condition locally for $1300 plus shipping so it was well worth it either way. Ofc its unfortunately updated until the latest version, 5g works out the box but Volte doesn't have tried the carrier route in the past with an international note 9 and a local bell branded outright purchase lg v60 dual screen on Fido and it seems it only worked once with plan switch where they activated the new plan with the sim in the old phone Note 9 and Volte including wifi calling worked awesome (obviously this means carrier is holding out on us) Until I bricked it but thats a whole different story lol. Have seen it done csc (carrier sales code) changes like flashing a carrier list of Canadian or european providers but that ofc requires an unlocked bootloader . Was thinking around the lines of somehow trying to flash something using the recovery it doesn't allow non vivo files (option is there but greyed out) but maybe it will allow an official old image or if it gives the newer version error message maybe we can flash a rooted pull of an updated rom if we make it look like its from vivo and official? Also any tips and tricks would be appreciated, anyone manage to get google assistant hey google option turned on? Nice to meet ya all, thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Q-Prof

Feb 21, 2011
Vivo X Fold
Heya fellow Canucks, Just recently acquired the X fold 256gb used in mint condition locally for $1300 plus shipping so it was well worth it either way. Ofc its unfortunately updated until the latest version, 5g works out the box but Volte doesn't have tried the carrier route in the past with an international note 9 and a local bell branded outright purchase lg v60 dual screen on Fido and it seems it only worked once with plan switch where they activated the new plan with the sim in the old phone Note 9 and Volte including wifi calling worked awesome (obviously this means carrier is holding out on us) Until I bricked it but thats a whole different story lol. Have seen it done csc (carrier sales code) changes like flashing a carrier list of Canadian or european providers but that ofc requires an unlocked bootloader . Was thinking around the lines of somehow trying to flash something using the recovery it doesn't allow non vivo files (option is there but greyed out) but maybe it will allow an official old image or if it gives the newer version error message maybe we can flash a rooted pull of an updated rom if we make it look like its from vivo and official? Also any tips and tricks would be appreciated, anyone manage to get google assistant hey google option turned on? Nice to meet ya all, thanks in advance.
Hi Ahmedjasjar
Sad to say, between speaking to XDA members, research, discussing with Vivo Care and Service, there has not been any solution to the lack of VoLTE 4G with this phone, as you may have seen in the past threads for this topic. Hopefully someone can find a fix for this though, so all we can do is keep trying. I really wanted to buy this phone, but ended up getting the Z Fold 4 as a safe bet as the VoLTE as you have found out, doesn't work with Canadian carriers.
I hear what you are saying, but once they locked that bootloader with the June security patch, not sure what else can be done.

rocky272727

Oct 8, 2011
Toronto
Wifi calling enabled with this update
Screenshot 2022-09-01 142134.png

Reactions: Q-Prof

rocky272727

Oct 8, 2011
Toronto
FYI I had to call my carrier to turn the wifi call feature off and on to enable the HD calling icon and feature from backend and works without any issues now.

Last edited:

rocky272727

Oct 8, 2011
Toronto
So when you say update, you mean from Vivo... was this a major update or a security patch?
Your image shows VoLTE is turned on, so is it actually working, right?
You are with Telus, so probably with Bell, this will work also then, I would think.
Hey, I have both Telus and Bell and it is working with both of them. I posted the update on this page with the change log
Looks like a minor 12.x.7 version including a security patch and other fixes. I also have the voLTE with HD icon now displayed for both my lines.

Q-Prof

Feb 21, 2011
Vivo X Fold
Hey, I have both Telus and Bell and it is working with both of them. I posted the update on this page with the change log
Looks like a minor 12.x.7 version including a security patch and other fixes. I also have the voLTE with HD icon now displayed for both my lines.
Well that is good news, lol.... if they had this a two weeks ago, I probably would have got the Vivo as I was on the fence, but then with no VoLTE and no promising solution from Vivo Care/Service, it was a big negative for me... I wonder if all that noise I made with the Vivo Care and Service departments got the developers to actually listen and do something resulting in that update?

I have the Z Fold 4 now though (along with their Watch 5 Pro and Buds 2 Pro eco system), I could not wait any longer as I was already waiting over a year at that point with my old 2016 edition phone. I am getting use to the smaller front screen with instant access to the larger screen when needed I think, coming from a 7" screen, but that Mix 2 now, is looking pretty sleek and interested on hearing frcraig's take on his once he gets it going. For now the Z Fold will be my main driver....

the one thing with these imports is, you can't beat Samsung's refined software integration here in Canada which I am happy with... I am still scratching the surface with it, in that respect.

Well that is good news, lol.... if they had this a two weeks ago, I probably would have got the Vivo as I was on the fence, but then with no VoLTE and no promising solution from Vivo Care/Service, it was a big negative for me... I wonder if all that noise I made with the Vivo Care and Service departments got the developers to actually listen and do something resulting in that update?

I have the Z Fold 4 now though (along with their Watch 5 Pro and Buds 2 Pro eco system), I could not wait any longer as I was already waiting over a year at that point with my old 2016 edition phone. I am getting use to the smaller front screen with instant access to the larger screen when needed I think, coming from a 7" screen, but that Mix 2 now, is looking pretty sleek and interested on hearing frcraig's take on his once he gets it going. For now the Z Fold will be my main driver....

the one thing with these imports is, you can't beat Samsung's refined software integration here in Canada which I am happy with... I am still scratching the surface with it, in that respect.
I returned my Fold 4 because I hate the outside display. Way too narrow for me to properly use. If it had the same form factor as the Vivo or Xiaomi, I would have 100% kept it.

Q-Prof

Feb 21, 2011
Vivo X Fold
I returned my Fold 4 because I hate the outside display. Way too narrow for me to properly use. If it had the same form factor as the Vivo or Xiaomi, I would have 100% kept it.
Yeah, that is the trade-off, I balanced out wider screen form factor vs refined software, and I have to say, the software won out. Also having no VoLTE on the Vivo two weeks ago and asking Vivo Care/Service for a solution to no avail, I had to get something, so it was the Z Fold.

Picked up a Spigen Slim Armor Pro Pen Edition case that holds the pen on the side, has spring loaded hinge protection, added a pop socket and ESR kickstand, and pretty happy with it. I am starting to get use to the smaller form factor on the front and find I am using it more than the inside screen, and it is always sweet opening up to the larger screen for the extra screen space.

YES definitely a wider form factor would be big PLUS, but going to stick with the Z Fold 4 now.

Q-Prof

Feb 21, 2011
Vivo X Fold
Wow, that is great news Rocky, Vivo is looking a lot better now. If they had this figured out 2 weeks ago I may have bought their phone rather than the Z Fold 4.

rocky272727

Oct 8, 2011
Toronto
Wow, that is great news Rocky, Vivo is looking a lot better now. If they had this figured out 2 weeks ago I may have bought their phone rather than the Z Fold 4.
I know, I was also looking for ways to root the device and force enable voLTE. It could be our multiple emails to the Vivo China email where they might have released a small fix to force enable voLTE in the phone. When I spoke with Telus this week the confirmed the device is not officially a Telus supported device for wifi calling and voLTE but if it has a feature it might work. The rep disabled and enabled it from Telus again I was able to get voLTE. See if it's possible for you to return Z4 and get this device, I have had Samsung phones before and since I moved to Huawei and Vivo I can say there is no comparison to hardware, software for sure is shabby due to localization issues.

Q-Prof

Feb 21, 2011
Vivo X Fold
Yeah, I am too late to return the Z Fold 4 and I have bought a top of the line case, screen protector, pop socket, kickstand and their Watch 5 Pro with the Buds, so I am pretty committed now their eco system.
I am pretty happy with everything so-far... just the form factor is the big negative (which I am getting use to), as I know the software is the best out there right now, plus some other small refinements and perks such as the S-pen, flex mode, Dex, IP68, etc.

Reactions: rocky272727

frcraig

Jan 3, 2017
Halifax
I'll put my Rogers SIM back into the X Fold and see if yesterday's firmware update resolved the lack of VoLTE for me as well. I've had the SIM in my Xiaomi Mix Fold 2, which was on my doorstep when I returned from Calgary yesterday. By entering * # * # 86583 # * # * into the Xiaomi's dialer app VoLTE instantly appeared, and the HD comes on and stays on during voice calls. The Xiaomi seems so much lighter than the X Fold than I'm afraid I will probably end up dropping it. No problem with switching the default keyboard, messaging app, etc. to Google, although like most Chinese ROMs it reverts to stock after reboot. The moral to the story is don't turn off your phone : )

Q-Prof

Feb 21, 2011
Vivo X Fold
I'll put my Rogers SIM back into the X Fold and see if yesterday's firmware update resolved the lack of VoLTE for me as well. I've had the SIM in my Xiaomi Mix Fold 2, which was on my doorstep when I returned from Calgary yesterday. By entering * # * # 86583 # * # * into the Xiaomi's dialer app VoLTE instantly appeared, and the HD comes on and stays on during voice calls. The Xiaomi seems so much lighter than the X Fold than I'm afraid I will probably end up dropping it. No problem with switching the default keyboard, messaging app, etc. to Google, although like most Chinese ROMs it reverts to stock after reboot. The moral to the story is don't turn off your phone : )
So good news all around for the Mix 2 also, happy for both you and Rocky. You have your Mix working and possibly the Vivo. Hopefully the update will work with Rogers also. Rocky said he had to call in to have them reset it, i.e. turn it off and back on, from their end also in another thread, so there is that to keep in mind, when you check your Vivo with your sim after the update is installed.

So your going to have to be careful with the Mix 2, dropping it may be the end of it, as it sounds like it isn't as durable as the Vivo, the Vivo is a solid phone in comparison... maybe there are some better cases out there like the one I got on my Z Fold offering protection all around in a slim design, so you feel a little better when holding it. Anyway enjoy, lol, you now have two amazing phone formats to show off, ENJOY!

Boy would I have been torn as to which phone, if I knew that the VoLTE was going to work earlier. I really didn't think Vivo would do anything about it for some time, but as Rocky and I think, that email volley back and forth several times with Vivo's care and Service support, may have been the catalyst to getting that fix with the software developers to put include it in the recent update/patch. Even the Mix, it looks awesome. I hope Samsung's hardware design takes note! For now though, I am fine with the Fold 4 to use as my daily driver. Can't see buying another phone if I already have one now.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Using Vivo X Fold+ with Bell in Toronto. Volte and VoWifi are working after the latest firmware update.
    If I knew that this was going to be a good possibility last Sept, would have probably gone/waited for this phone, but with my Huawei Honor Note 8 and its aged software system, I was desperate to get something that worked as some apps just were not working anymore with it.

I was really interested in the Vivo X Fold, but no VoLTE was possible then and didn't look like it would ever be supported, then came the Xiaomi Mix Fold 2, another sweet foldable, just not as robust hardware, but more of a light thin version - which I probably prefer now, but the Samsung Z Fold 4 with the Watch 5 pro and Buds 2 pro family of devices are doing well with me.... a little thicker (have a Spigen Slim Armor Pro Pen case with removable pop socket and an ESR boost kickstand) but with refined software that works without issue here in Canada in general. I just hope that Samsung gets their act together and innovates like the Xiaomi and Vivo to come out with some competitive hardware with larger front screen to go along with their refined software for the fold 5 or 6.... as I plan to take advantage of their trade-in system after putting a chunk of money in initially for their brand.
    If I knew that this was going to be a good possibility last Sept, would have probably gone/waited for this phone, but with my Huawei Honor Note 8 and its aged software system, I was desperate to get something that worked as some apps just were not working anymore with it.

I was really interested in the Vivo X Fold, but no VoLTE was possible then and didn't look like it would ever be supported, then came the Xiaomi Mix Fold 2, another sweet foldable, just not as robust hardware, but more of a light thin version - which I probably prefer now, but the Samsung Z Fold 4 with the Watch 5 pro and Buds 2 pro family of devices are doing well with me.... a little thicker (have a Spigen Slim Armor Pro Pen case with removable pop socket and an ESR boost kickstand) but with refined software that works without issue here in Canada in general. I just hope that Samsung gets their act together and innovates like the Xiaomi and Vivo to come out with some competitive hardware with larger front screen to go along with their refined software for the fold 5 or 6.... as I plan to take advantage of their trade-in system after putting a chunk of money in initially for their brand.
    I have installed the new Android 13 update (OceanOS v 3.0) and VoLTE immediately appeared on booting up my phone. I’ve tried SIMs from Rogers, Telus, Bell, and Eastlink and VoLTE now works on all of them. For anyone having VoLTE issues in Canada, download Android 13 (system update/public beta). As a side note, I also have the Vivo X Note phone, and I had the same issues with VoLTE on it until I updated it yesterday to Android 13 and the new version of OceanOS, and it now has VoLTE on all Canadian carriers as well. Sounds like Vivo does listen to complaints.
    I have installed the new Android 13 update (OceanOS v 3.0) and VoLTE immediately appeared on booting up my phone. I’ve tried SIMs from Rogers, Telus, Bell, and Eastlink and VoLTE now works on all of them. For anyone having VoLTE issues in Canada, download Android 13 (system update/public beta). As a side note, I also have the Vivo X Note phone, and I had the same issues with VoLTE on it until I updated it yesterday to Android 13 and the new version of OceanOS, and it now has VoLTE on all Canadian carriers as well. Sounds like Vivo does listen to complaints.
    Thanks for sharing frcraig, good to know for all those out there.

I did do a lot of complaining to three divisions, also told Vivo I was sharing their responses to forums here in Canada, and I wasn't accepting an answer we'll pass it on to the developers as I wanted practical answers. I was really trying to get something meaningful from them earlier, so I could make my decision easier... in the end I had to take the safe purchase, but it cost me more money with Samsung.

All is good, as it is a positive outcome for Canadians. It was too much of a risk at the time for me, with the cost of all of the fold phones.

There is a silver lining... Samsung will lose market share with their fold here in America, if they don't get more competitive with their hardware and form factor as they don't hold the fold market hostage on their previous Canadian monopoly anymore.
    a japanese figured out how to unlock volte in japan. but u have to unlock the bootloader, root and patch an img file with magisk. then again, it's a risk for doing that. and it might not necessarily work in canada.

Got a new update and wifi calling has been switched on.....awesome newsView attachment 5702127
    GREAT news. I've been debating on getting the Xiaomi Mix Fold 2 or Vivo X Fold S (when it comes out). This adds a point to Vivo.
    Message to https://www.vivo.com/en/support page through their email
    (also commented on their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/vivocareGlobal a quick question also)

I am in Canada interested in getting the Vivo X Fold, but finding out that Canadian carriers (main ones here in Canada: Rogers and Bell) from local XDA Forum on the Vivo X Fold (https://forum.xda-developers.com/f/vivo-x-fold.12651/) do not allow the VoLTE 4G to be turned on here in Canada even though carriers support 4G and LTE bands on your phone.

VoLTE is the major Voice Over LTE 4G communications standard protocol, that allows us in Canada with local carriers to talk on the phone with others.

See forum feedback from XDA member that is in Canada with your Vivo X Fold phone:
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...e-fence-as-to-which-one.4473827/post-87216075
    for his feedback and efforts to get VoLTE to work, i.e. it is not working!

Is there a reason why the VoLTE 4G is greyed out and can't be turned on, on the Vivo X Fold her in Canada, thereby making voice phone calls not possible on your phone through this standard voice communications protocol?

There are a lot of interested people here for the Vivo X Fold in Canada that want a quality foldable phone and don't want to use the Samsung fold because it is too narrow on the front screen,
    but looks like we are forced to get it as it is the only foldable that will work on Canadian carriers! Your phone is the only other possible choice BUT DOESN'T HAVE VOLTE 4G WORKING with any of the carriers here in Canada!

Have confirmed this with Rogers and Bell putting their current Sim Card in, and the option to turn on VoLTE is greyed out, i.e. can't be turned on by either cellular service.

I know T-Mobile in USA, the Vivo X Fold works on their network, but why not at least one carrier in Canada?
    (There is talk that Vivo got their phones certified for use with T-Mobile in the USA, but no carriers were certified (paid registration fee so that it works with carrier) in Canada, leaving us Canadians that want to use any of your phones, not able to because the VoLTE can't be turned on in the phones mobile service settings.

Can you tell me why this is not working and/or reason why VoLTE is not able to be turned on?

Is there anything that can be done about this?
    Message to https://www.vivo.com/en/support page through their email
    (also commented on their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/vivocareGlobal a quick question also)

I am in Canada interested in getting the Vivo X Fold, but finding out that Canadian carriers (main ones here in Canada: Rogers and Bell) from local XDA Forum on the Vivo X Fold (https://forum.xda-developers.com/f/vivo-x-fold.12651/) do not allow the VoLTE 4G to be turned on here in Canada even though carriers support 4G and LTE bands on your phone.

VoLTE is the major Voice Over LTE 4G communications standard protocol, that allows us in Canada with local carriers to talk on the phone with others.

See forum feedback from XDA member that is in Canada with your Vivo X Fold phone:
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...e-fence-as-to-which-one.4473827/post-87216075
    for his feedback and efforts to get VoLTE to work, i.e. it is not working!

Is there a reason why the VoLTE 4G is greyed out and can't be turned on, on the Vivo X Fold her in Canada, thereby making voice phone calls not possible on your phone through this standard voice communications protocol?

There are a lot of interested people here for the Vivo X Fold in Canada that want a quality foldable phone and don't want to use the Samsung fold because it is too narrow on the front screen,
    but looks like we are forced to get it as it is the only foldable that will work on Canadian carriers! Your phone is the only other possible choice BUT DOESN'T HAVE VOLTE 4G WORKING with any of the carriers here in Canada!

Have confirmed this with Rogers and Bell putting their current Sim Card in, and the option to turn on VoLTE is greyed out, i.e. can't be turned on by either cellular service.

I know T-Mobile in USA, the Vivo X Fold works on their network, but why not at least one carrier in Canada?
    (There is talk that Vivo got their phones certified for use with T-Mobile in the USA, but no carriers were certified (paid registration fee so that it works with carrier) in Canada, leaving us Canadians that want to use any of your phones, not able to because the VoLTE can't be turned on in the phones mobile service settings.

Can you tell me why this is not working and/or reason why VoLTE is not able to be turned on?

Is there anything that can be done about this?
    For what its worth, you can enable VoNR for stand alone frequencies. in developer settings or with a dialing code. The problem is that while these phones can connect on n78 Stand Alone networks, (3500mhz) the Canadian telecoms have just started using this frequency and it is only in a few major cities. They are also not using Voice Over 5G (VoNR) so even when the n78 band reaches your area, you would have to wait for the carrier to switch their technology for voice calls from VoLTE to VoNR. So far only T-Mobile (in Seattle and Salt Lake City) have turned on VoNR.
    Thanks for sharing frcraig, good to know for all those out there.

I did do a lot of complaining to three divisions, also told Vivo I was sharing their responses to forums here in Canada, and I wasn't accepting an answer we'll pass it on to the developers as I wanted practical answers. I was really trying to get something meaningful from them earlier, so I could make my decision easier... in the end I had to take the safe purchase, but it cost me more money with Samsung.

All is good, as it is a positive outcome for Canadians. It was too much of a risk at the time for me, with the cost of all of the fold phones.

There is a silver lining... Samsung will lose market share with their fold here in America, if they don't get more competitive with their hardware and form factor as they don't hold the fold market hostage on their previous Canadian monopoly anymore.