vizio app hacks

Search This thread

ang1dust

Oct 1, 2009
Anyone know if XDA will be opening hacking for some of the new tv's with apps built in? Or if anyone knows of a site that supports it?

rdcflorida

Jul 6, 2013
developing for VIZIO TV

I have a Vizio E601i-A3 60" tv, with VIA = Vizio internet apps.
to develop apps for Vizio TV you go though Yahoo
//connectedtv.yahoo.com/developer

i looked at being a yahoo tv developer, it seems excessively complex.

my compliant is Vizio media player just seems to be poorly written.

I currently waiting for new version of firmware, called Vizio and they tell me its automatic,
It is most likely magic, there is hardware, software and vaporware.

I am looking for a manual method of firmware update. This TV has two USB ports, Ethernet.
There must be technician access to update, and diagnose.
Anyone have a repair manual?

pseudus

Mar 27, 2011
The answer?

Alright, long story short, I am opening a store/lounge and bought (2) 55" VIZIO Smart TV's..

...fast forward...

Read all the threads and was about to give up on streaming media to them and Voila!, this:

thebitplague.wordpress.com/2012/10/22/play-stream-video-from-pc-to-vizio-tv/

I have not tested this yet, but I will over the next few days, will post again with my findings...

TL:DR - You can stream movies and media contect to your Vizio Smart TV with the DLNA compliant PS3 Media server found here:

sourceforge.net/projects/ps3mediaserver/

Have a nice day!

z0oinks

Jan 8, 2013
Alright, long story short, I am opening a store/lounge and bought (2) 55" VIZIO Smart TV's..

...fast forward...

Read all the threads and was about to give up on streaming media to them and Voila!, this:

thebitplague.wordpress.com/2012/10/22/play-stream-video-from-pc-to-vizio-tv/

I have not tested this yet, but I will over the next few days, will post again with my findings...

TL:DR - You can stream movies and media contect to your Vizio Smart TV with the DLNA compliant PS3 Media server found here:

sourceforge.net/projects/ps3mediaserver/

Have a nice day!

This only works for DLNA-compatible Vizio Tvs, which not all of them are, unfortunately

hcfte

Jan 8, 2013
New VIA Plus

Just so you know I don't have the Vizio TV my 75 yr old dad does and I am trying to help him.

I have been reading about Vizio's new VIA Plus for their new M series TV's and it sounds like the have really upgraded the software to do what most of us are wanting to accomplish.

http://store.vizio.com/news/cat/news/post/vizio-unveils-next-generation-smart-tv-platform

VIZIO Internet Apps Plus™ Delivers Advanced App Browsing and Discovery, Support for HTML 5 Apps, Second Screen Interactivity and A Consumer-Friendly, Intuitive Smart TV Interface

My question is does anyone know if the E series TV got or will get this update or can this be "hacked/ported" to work on the older TV's?

w0lf13

Dec 27, 2013
I know this thread is a few months old, but I too am interested in messing around with this as I have two I recently purchased.

Now as someone has said before developer(dot)yahoo(dot)com/connectedtv (cant post links yet :( ) has a plethora of information regarding the software running on these TVs.

Now on that site they mention that tv's running the connectedTV software have approx. 128MB of RAM(10MB of which is reserved for the ConnectedTV platform, and 50MB for the Dock that displays at the bottom of the screen) Which leaves about 64MB for App Usage.

For an alternative OS, I feel Ubuntu is going to have a bit too much overhead to run on these, not too mention the architecture is probably very different from what we're use to seeing on a normal x86 or ARM based board. Maybe something more along the lines of TinyCore linux or even an old version of Android that could possibly run on a platform with lower specs such as these, but ultimately it's going to require ALOT of effort and quite frankly, I don't see enough people with extensive knowledge interested.

I would like to see an alternative OS(not likely) as well but would also suffice with a web browser for the connectedTV platform as well.

The apps are supposedly created using a combination of Javascript and XML as well as the KONtx framework.
I don't know if a browser can be created with these but I'm willing to give it a shot.

If anyone is interested drop me a message

Last edited:

darkensx

Feb 18, 2011
Dalton NH
ASUS ROG Phone 3
I know this thread is a few months old, but I too am interested in messing around with this as I have two I recently purchased.

Now as someone has said before developer(dot)yahoo(dot)com/connectedtv (cant post links yet :( ) has a plethora of information regarding the software running on these TVs.

Now on that site they mention that tv's running the connectedTV software have approx. 128MB of RAM(10MB of which is reserved for the ConnectedTV platform, and 50MB for the Dock that displays at the bottom of the screen) Which leaves about 64MB for App Usage.

For an alternative OS, I feel Ubuntu is going to have a bit too much overhead to run on these, not too mention the architecture is probably very different from what we're use to seeing on a normal x86 or ARM based board. Maybe something more along the lines of TinyCore linux or even an old version of Android that could possibly run on a platform with lower specs such as these, but ultimately it's going to require ALOT of effort and quite frankly, I don't see enough people with extensive knowledge interested.

I would like to see an alternative OS(not likely) as well but would also suffice with a web browser for the connectedTV platform as well.

The apps are supposedly created using a combination of Javascript and XML as well as the KONtx framework.
I don't know if a browser can be created with these but I'm willing to give it a shot.

If anyone is interested drop me a message
I relize this thread is a little old but as far as a alt os what about the Google tv platform seeing as vizio has tv's that have google... alot if not all of the vizio Yahoo tv's have a Intel® CE 3100 System On a Chip CPU which is Atom Based Arch. and 256MB RAM and all this crap :p
Video Codec: HD: H.264, VC1, MPEG2, WMV9 SD: Flash-lite 3.1 (On2 VP6, Sorenson, h264), MPEG4 part 2, DivX3/4/5/6, WMV7/8, MPEG1
Audio Codec: AC-3, WMA7/8, WMA9, WMA Pro, MPEG1 L2, LPCM, MPEG2 L2, MPEG4 AAC-LC, MPEG1 L3, MPEG2 L3, HE-AAC, Dolby Digital Plus Optional Codecs: DTS 5.1 core, DTS HD, Dolby TrueHD
Multichannel Audio: 2 channels for WMA up to WMA Pro. Up to 5.1 channels for AC3, DTS, AAC
JPG, PNG image support
DRM Support: WMDRM-PD/Janus, DTCP-IP
Container Format Support: MPEG2-PS, MPEG2-TS, MPEG1-System, AVI, ASF, MP4, MOV*(QuickTime), FLV, F4V
DLNA Client and MyMedia widget
Flash Storage with Optional storage support

if the tv runs linux and ubuntu version my bet is its a netbook version as most netbooks have crap for Ram 256MB or 512MB being the most common. with these in mind probably anything that would run on a cheap 256MB netbook would work but loading/flashing it is the issue.

juggalo818

Oct 30, 2012
Burbank
www.androidhkmarket.co.nr
I relize this thread is a little old but as far as a alt os what about the Google tv platform seeing as vizio has tv's that have google... alot if not all of the vizio Yahoo tv's have a Intel® CE 3100 System On a Chip CPU which is Atom Based Arch. and 256MB RAM and all this crap :p
Video Codec: HD: H.264, VC1, MPEG2, WMV9 SD: Flash-lite 3.1 (On2 VP6, Sorenson, h264), MPEG4 part 2, DivX3/4/5/6, WMV7/8, MPEG1
Audio Codec: AC-3, WMA7/8, WMA9, WMA Pro, MPEG1 L2, LPCM, MPEG2 L2, MPEG4 AAC-LC, MPEG1 L3, MPEG2 L3, HE-AAC, Dolby Digital Plus Optional Codecs: DTS 5.1 core, DTS HD, Dolby TrueHD
Multichannel Audio: 2 channels for WMA up to WMA Pro. Up to 5.1 channels for AC3, DTS, AAC
JPG, PNG image support
DRM Support: WMDRM-PD/Janus, DTCP-IP
Container Format Support: MPEG2-PS, MPEG2-TS, MPEG1-System, AVI, ASF, MP4, MOV*(QuickTime), FLV, F4V
DLNA Client and MyMedia widget
Flash Storage with Optional storage support

if the tv runs linux and ubuntu version my bet is its a netbook version as most netbooks have crap for Ram 256MB or 512MB being the most common. with these in mind probably anything that would run on a cheap 256MB netbook would work but loading/flashing it is the issue.

i wanted to add alittle to this about 2 months ago we upgraded to dish network and something crazy happened all of a sudden my tv went from HDMI 1 to Dish Hd Hopper witch was never there .... might be something or nothing
there has to be a hack crack or upgrade to this mine is a e422va

Last edited:

Robertjm

Dec 24, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area
Your HDMI ports can be renamed in the television's setup so having it go from one to the other isn't a surprise. My guess is that that Hopper you hooked up pushed the new name, somehow, to the television.

i wanted to add alittle to this about 2 months ago we upgraded to dish network and something crazy happened all of a sudden my tv went from HDMI 1 to Dish Hd Hopper witch was never there .... might be something or nothing
there has to be a hack crack or upgrade to this mine is a e422va

blackhalk123

Mar 1, 2010
I don't know if anyone knows this but on my e3d320vx I have a option to update my firmware through USB it is in the menu some where. It showed up after the last big update last year. I'm replacing my power supply at the moment, But when I change it I will share the exact location to find it. I think the biggest problem right now is the os mystery if I can upgrade the firmware through USB I should theoretically be able to access the os or at the least dump the info for it with the correct tools and go from there.

jaymzway

Mar 12, 2013
I know how old this is and im still interested in seeing if we could go through the process of creating an app through sdk yahoo and making it work for our tv's "BROWSER" means that UC browser seems to be loaded with options I wonder what it would take to work as an app on our tv's over on the yahoo site for vizio gives you the basics and to me shows it being similar to android. Iam not saying it's identical to android but i know our tv's uses linux os.
another cool thing would be to use this bluetooth remote with keyboard on my galaxy s3 would anyone know how this could be done.. Im willing to test I only paid $40.00 for my 47 in M470NV.
i REALLY REALLY WOULD LOVE TO SEE A WEB BROWSER ON MY TV.. PLEASE

jaymzway

Mar 12, 2013
i understand why a developer would not want to make this happen because you can just simply add a computer to the darn thing.
lol but think of all the clutter and wire mess it makes having this around your tv. I would be the coolest thing ever if we could turn our tv into a small base android pc. :eek:)
if someone could just lead me into the right direction I would like to start on this myself. I have googled countless hours on topics of doing this but nothing on this topic that makes it clear as to how to's
I have many of cool ideas I would like to add to this if I could get this thing going... thank you everyone have a good night.

Molikai1988

Jul 15, 2012
Oak Ridge
From what I've gathered so far:
The auto update method the tv uses is OTA of some kind. It only updates when turned off. Vizio is not willing to supply the image file for USB flashing. Also, be very careful about future updates, my 24" e241i-a1 got one and decided it was a e390i-a1. This is beyond a minor issue! Now my TV thinks it has 3 HDMI ins and no RGB. Also the display looks like its out of phase or whatever one might call the vertical being slightly misaligned. Hope this helps.

Reactions: jaymzway

CuF

Aug 29, 2015
I recently got a couple Vizios for my family and find the media player disappointing.

Out of box it supports DTS, but a firmware update yanked that away.
Subtitles are not supported in any form, not even .SRT.

I'd love to see this project accomplished. and have a suggestion.
Instead of trying to hack up the existing player, wouldn't it make more sense to take an OS compatible version of VLC, make whatever tweaks if needs to make it work on a Vizio and get it put onto the Yahoo App Store? VLC has pretty much already been ported to everything you could think of. Just check out the list of VLC downloads available on Videolan (dot ORG)'s site.

Then it would provide wide format support, be easier to update and anyone could grab it.
I'd suspect there are peeps on the VideoLan forums that would probably want to get in on this.

jaymzway

Mar 12, 2013
Did we all say this before modding android phones no...
To each of us has our ideas n thoughts. You don't like our ideas so what. Thats why theres more topics for you to choose from. So how bout you move on.!!! Pal n stop disrespecting other members of the forum. Before this goes down the wrong road that it don't have to... I personally would like to see something come from this "VIZIO MOD TOPIC" MEANS THAT YOU LEAD OFF TOPIC...

Last edited:

DownloaderZ

Jun 10, 2008
ATL
Why, whats the point here? The hardware is underpowered, there seems to be almost no way in, and you wont gain anything by running code on the native chipset. However, you have access to the most important parts: input, output(video& audio).

I was watching this thread for a long time. The time to put effort into this has passed.

Did we all say this before modding android phones no...
To each of us has our ideas n thoughts. You don't like our ideas so what. Thats why theres more topics for you to choose from. So how bout you move on.!!! Pal n stop disrespecting other members of the forum. Before this goes down the wrong road that it don't have to... I personally would like to see something come from this "VIZIO MOD TOPIC" MEANS THAT YOU LEAD OFF TOPIC...

jaymzway

Mar 12, 2013
My point is how is a so called smart tv have wifi usb video audio abilities n yet no web browser... lol strange really????? Win 3.0 had a web browser n it was seriously under volted at 4 megs of ram n a 75 mhz processor so hell why not able to...

---------- Post added at 05:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:20 PM ----------

So wheres the web browser app hack.
Then i feel were onto something its like yahoo has abandon their support to these tvs

---------- Post added at 05:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:24 PM ----------

Back when these tvs were metioned of a hack or firmware it was a pricey game price vs bricking a $1.000 tv now the prices are down now is perfect time to play with them to see what could come of these things just like blood did to the samsung m890 long time ago.

EhudBenjamin

Jan 6, 2011
I'm in the same spot, I'm a truck driver and have a E32-C1 in my truck. I have lots of places I can connect to WiFi, but with no browser I cannot log in or accept the terms and conditions. At least for me that makes the WiFi useless along with all the apps.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My hope is that they at least add Yahoo View. The app is currently mostly pointless, but the finished version should end up being pretty much the same as Hulu Free but accessible by mobile devices, not just PCs.
    It would add some new life to these TVs.
    Impressive that this thread has been going for 2-3+ years. Having a ball running PMS on an old Linux box, paired with my Vizio E420i-b0 (2014?) but incredibly disappointed i can't natively access HBO go. Not really looking to buy yet another device to hang around the television, but considered picking up a $30 Chromecast as the SoC seems to be incredibly underpowered and after a while of running Plex, YouTube, whatever app the responsiveness of the tv begins to slow to a crawl -- at certain points you cannot even turn the volume up or down... it'll remember every button press on the remote, but sometimes the delay in reaching the tv is more than 30 seconds. The gf has been using the Plex app on our old Vizio more than Netflix lately, that's a really good sign. It just works.

Bravo to everyone who still gets excited about the potential of these type things. Appreciate this community.
    Hidden Menu/Browser on Vizio E32-C1

I have a Vizio E32-C1 2015 that I picked up a few months ago. The Vizio e-series are a pretty good deal IMHO.

I was trying to turn it on in the dark the other day, and ended up pressing some unknown button combination as I fumbled in the dark.

The result was rather surprising, the TV turned on and revealed a gray screen (from the look of it it was an HTML form) with the title "Opera App Launcher". Below the title was an input field and a submit button. Next to the input field in parentheses was the text "(0-9)".

I was able to move from element on the page from the arrow navigation buttons on the remote.

So I entered the number '5' from my remote, and hit the submit button. After a few seconds the Vizio official website loaded up. I was able to navigate the page and browse, but couldn't find a way to return to the grey screen or enter a URL manually.

So far I've had no luck finding what button combo I entered. From searching the web I've gotten no hits about how to get into the service menu from the e-series, let alone anyone else who has encountered the "Opera App Launcher".

Has anyone else seen anything like this? I'm really eager to get low-level access to my Smart TV.
    While there might be a good amount of interest with this. I dont see work being done on it, as theres no central OS each tv would be completely different.
    Plus its alot easier to attach a small computer to the tv and go from there

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium

I have a Vizio E3D470VX and decided to probe the wazoo out of it. nmap reports on an OS request it's replying Linux, but it's also responding and sending out SSDP requests (most likely the multi media network detection that's incomplete in this model).

The only open port through the network hookup is 13000. I started this little adventure in a hope of finding a backdoor so I might control my TV with my Kindle (yes, I'm that darn ?lazy? :)) I can't seem to figure out what this port is yet.. No matter what sequence I try sending the port, it closes after a varying input sequence (UDP). Via TCP, it just auto closes.

nmap hasn't the foggiest either, even after a deep scan+UDP run on the port. But it does look like the TV has a sort of firewall response to SYN flooding, that was comical as I saw the spread between identification attempts widen from 10ms to 8000ms over a period of 6 minutes.

So, I'd be VERY interested in taking a closer look at this particular port opening. I might not go as far as to jack with the USB ports, sides, who knows if they are even active for sideloading. My real question is... is there some port connection software out there already that will run input/output test sequences to an ip address via TCP/UDP/etc and log the results to a log? I hate recreating a wheel if there's already a tool.
    Hi~ After years of lurking I finally have made an XDA account just to breathe life into this sometimes-resurrectable 2012 topic.

I'm a relative newb in the tech world--a couple of years back XDA helped me flash my kindle fire 7 and I'd never ripped the back of a board off and I think it awoke something menacing and wonderful in me. Anyway, I'm still young enough be so ambitious as to waste my time recycling stuff like this so I'll be heckin' around with Kali to follow the breadcrumbs left here and snoop around the sources y'all have pointed to ambiguously. Just wanted to remind yins that your mischievous approaches and technical guidance for the curious inspires babes all the time. There may be smarter solutions (trust I make this ol' E3D420VX work for me even if it's as a glorified monitor) but I love all of you who persevere to climb mountains just to get there. I'll be back someday~

Gonna drop links to more sources to add to the breadcrumb log: