Question Vodafone UK - no 4G+/5G

Search This thread

chistery

May 24, 2010
London
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
Has anyone else got a CN version and on Vodafone UK? I can't seem to get 4G+ or 5G to work. Download speeds on 4g are a lot less than my S21 and Cellmapper seems to confirm no LTE-A or NR. Even tried a SIM swap but that doesn't seem to have helped.

It's fine with my EE SIM, shows 4g+

Some googling shows others with similar issues with no CA on some European networks but others are fine. Wondering if the EEA firmware is likely to have a different modem config file?

Last edited:

kyero985

May 9, 2019
Huawei P40 Pro
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
I have a CN model and my EE gets 4G+ and 5G without any issues.

I also have a work phone on Vodafone. If I take the Vodafone SIM and put it inside my Mi 11 Ultra, it only shows as 4G. 5G won't turn on either even though it's supported in my price plan and works on my work phone.

One thing I have noticed is that the CN model does not support Band 32/1400MHz SDL, which Vodafone in the UK uses whereas EE does not - could this be the main difference as your area happens to rely on this band?

vendetta17

Sep 27, 2016

vendetta17

Sep 27, 2016
I think we're just waiting for someone to try the global or EEA version, not brick their phone, and report back on whether CA is now active.
I hope im wrong but i think when it comes to network bands its only about hardware , not software .
Hopefully this can be fixed by software stuff but i doubt it .
Before i bought the phone , i checked bands support and all the UK ones were supported . But it looks like things are more complicated than just supported bands .

vendetta17

Sep 27, 2016
Well , if someone could tell us what are the odds of this being somehow fixed in the future , i would be really grateful. If there are no chances for some fix , i will definitely sell it even though i freaking love this phone .

olkitu

Apr 7, 2015
Finland
truong.fi
If this is the explanation, i guess there is nothing to do except switching the chinese for global version ?

Well there is not much todo because CA combinations are defined in modem firmware. Changing OS to different version may not change modem firmware.

I believe CA is a software issue, as the modem just need to know which bands can be aggregated together.

These are configured to modem firmware. You can't change these values because it requires source code of modem and then compile it. We don't have modem source code so we can't change carrier aggregation combinations.

So only what we know is support per devices - https://cacombos.com have good database

chistery

May 24, 2010
London
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
Just tried a Global version, and 4G+ works fine.

IMG_20210504_115239.jpg

And the CN version:

IMG_20210504_081916.jpg

So moral of the story, it's not just about the LTE bands it supports. I'll know for next time!

Reactions: olkitu

Top Liked Posts

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone