VoLTE and VoWIFI in Australia

Search This thread

kazlow

Mar 9, 2008
Here you go.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1IDWvpi6oeZoznVchBT_rdeR13iy7KV9G?usp=sharing

Also included in the Zip is the APK and QPST Tools. Bare in mind, I'm still on Android 10. So I don't know if this driver will work.

---------- Post added at 03:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:30 AM ----------

Did the EFSTools commands again, rebooted and both are now back. Tested Wifi calling by putting phone into flight mode but Wifi on and call went through. VoWfi also appeared. VoLTE also now shows up. Mobile data connection seems more stable too.
Thanks again for all your help. :highfive:

thanks alot man but unfortunately its the same version i have , ever since i upgraded to os 11 beta i am unable to connect to pdc to activate volte again but on the flip side beta 2 came out today and it enabled volte automatically lol so its all good .

@DJ

Feb 12, 2019
thanks alot man but unfortunately its the same version i have , ever since i upgraded to os 11 beta i am unable to connect to pdc to activate volte again but on the flip side beta 2 came out today and it enabled volte automatically lol so its all good .

Just upgraded to beta 2. No volte but now have 5g. Max I had on 10 was 4g+.

happiboi

• Aug 27, 2010
    Did the EFSTools commands again, rebooted and both are now back. Tested Wifi calling by putting phone into flight mode but Wifi on and call went through. VoWfi also appeared. VoLTE also now shows up. Mobile data connection seems more stable too.
    Thanks again for all your help. :highfive:

Hey that's great news :good: Glad it's back up and working again. That was really weird for it to disaapear though, hope it sticks this time

kazlow

Mar 9, 2008
    Just upgraded to beta 2. No volte but now have 5g. Max I had on 10 was 4g+.

lol i lost my 5g in return which am ok with honestly, volte is more important to me . i dont think am gonna risk it with beta 3 this time and just wait for the final stable upgrade

swtam

Aug 14, 2013
    i just wanted to add with the in2023 from Kogan, mine worked a lot better in terms of 5g reception on the EU Rom version as opposed to the Global Rom. I was also having issues under the Global rom with my 5ghz wifi band disappearing. If you are swapping to the EU ROM, download the full pack and not the incremental in Oxygen Updater otherwise the local update function doesnt recognise that there is a file there

happiboi

• Aug 27, 2010
    i just wanted to add with the in2023 from Kogan, mine worked a lot better in terms of 5g reception on the EU Rom version as opposed to the Global Rom. I was also having issues under the Global rom with my 5ghz wifi band disappearing. If you are swapping to the EU ROM, download the full pack and not the incremental in Oxygen Updater otherwise the local update function doesnt recognise that there is a file there

That's interesting - i wonder what it is in the EU rom that improved reception? I didnt' think that changing rom would enable any extra bands/function but nonetheless it's a good outcome then :good:

swtam

Aug 14, 2013
    That's interesting - i wonder what it is in the EU rom that improved reception? I didnt' think that changing rom would enable any extra bands/function but nonetheless it's a good outcome then :good:

This seemed to be the case. But I was also unable to get PDC working on mine. I had to activate 5G by using the overwriting the carrier policy file in QPST EFS Explorer method. When I had done this in the Global Rom i had the 5G symbol show up but i wasnt connecting to any of the 5G towers. My Cellmapper was only showing 5G status as NOT RESTRICTED and i was barely getting 4G speeds. After swapping to the EU Rom and redoing everything it all worked fine

@DJ

Feb 12, 2019
    Last edited:

JetOoi

Jan 21, 2014
    Still the same issue with the full version that came out today. Not sure if the engineer app needs updating or what, but as it stands, I'm unable to get VoLTE/Wifi working.

Anyone here had any luck?

Even the oos11 stable release no luck with PDC and logkit method to enable volte and vowifi? I yet to receive update but i will hold the update if really no way to enable Volte and vowifi. I need vowifi badly.

Mattycee

Even the oos11 stable release no luck with PDC and logkit method to enable volte and vowifi? I yet to receive update but i will hold the update if really no way to enable Volte and vowifi. I need vowifi badly.

No joy, it still gives the same error as on the Beta versions. I have good reception at home now so not a massive deal, but I still want to make sure it gives me all the options I get with a local phone. I am pretty sure someone will be able to work it out, as its been working for a few versions of Android now I believe.
    The error I always get is the following:-
    Use serial port 'COM11'
    Critical error. Bad command
    I do not believe it is a driver issue as it is using the correct COM port so it may be how Android 11 is programmed??

Last edited:

happiboi

• Aug 27, 2010
    yea i'm getting this as well :(

5G is enabled and workign even with dual sim is enabled in A11 though lol..... trying to work through the volte/vowifi issue now

JetOoi

Jan 21, 2014
    No joy, it still gives the same error as on the Beta versions. I have good reception at home now so not a massive deal, but I still want to make sure it gives me all the options I get with a local phone. I am pretty sure someone will be able to work it out, as its been working for a few versions of Android now I believe.
    The error I always get is the following:-
    Use serial port 'COM11'
    Critical error. Bad command
    I do not believe it is a driver issue as it is using the correct COM port so it may be how Android 11 is programmed??

Thanks Mattycee for update. I think I will wait for proven solution before moving to oos11. My office mobile signal is too bad , I have to rely on vowifi.

offlineon

Jan 28, 2008
    I have VoWiFi now working perfectly with Telstra (OnePlus 8pro / os11.IN11BA firmware) but not sure which steps I took that activated it. Still no VoLTE and restricted coms with PDC & EfsTools via windows 10.

---------- Post added at 06:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:48 AM ----------

VoWiFi on 11 seems much faster to connect than Android 10.

There is a one off provisioning delay on initial activation, but after that it activates so quickly I am going to test if calls actually get dropped cycling between 4G and wifi. I suspect not

vs6dU5P

---------- Post added at 06:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:11 AM ----------

No it drops even with VoWifi set as reference. Works otherwise, but still a pity as this feature would have been awesome.

offlineon

Jan 28, 2008
    Ok. The good news is I now have VoLTE and VoWiFi running on Telstra. The bad news is I'm confused about what worked.

I need someone to test with a OnePlus 8 pro with the following conditions:
    UK firmware
    Telstra Sim (not mvo)
    Working 5g
    Had previously working VoLTE/VoWiFi via EfsTools

I can be messaged at Whirlpool via the OnePlus 8 thread. Thanks.

Mattycee

I am looking at downgrading my OnePlus back to Android 10, getting VoLTE/Wifi working again and then installing the stable version of Android 11 over the top and see if I can make it work.
    I updated mine to the Beta and then to the full version, so it wiped my phone, may see if I can keep it with the upgrade only.

happiboi

• Aug 27, 2010
    I am looking at downgrading my OnePlus back to Android 10, getting VoLTE/Wifi working again and then installing the stable version of Android 11 over the top and see if I can make it work.
    I updated mine to the Beta and then to the full version, so it wiped my phone, may see if I can keep it with the upgrade only.

don't think it'll work.

I was on A10... working 5g, vowifi, volte - updated to A11 (stable OTA) and vowifi/volte not working (5g is though) lol

---------- Post added at 01:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 PM ----------

Ok. The good news is I now have VoLTE and VoWiFi running on Telstra. The bad news is I'm confused about what worked.

I need someone to test with a OnePlus 8 pro with the following conditions:
    UK firmware
    Telstra Sim (not mvo)
    Working 5g
    Had previously working VoLTE/VoWiFi via EfsTools

I can be messaged at Whirlpool via the OnePlus 8 thread. Thanks.

got the above minus the UK firmware - i'm on Global

Mattycee

don't think it'll work.

I was on A10... working 5g, vowifi, volte - updated to A11 (stable OTA) and vowifi/volte not working (5g is though) lol

---------- Post added at 01:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 PM ----------

got the above minus the UK firmware - i'm on Global

Thanks, it saved me from the whole deal of resetting the phone again.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      Yea - i think there's an app that you can install to tell you signal strength and type etc. It should list as 5G but weak in most unless you're near the towers in a well covered area.

Glad the steps work for you too

Mate thanks for the guide.
      I have just knocked this over on a NORD.
      It would appear that 5G is connected however in some apps it seems to list 4G LTE. The speeds are less than 4G+ (or whatever it is) however it would seem that this is expected when its all about distance from tower and line of sight, etc for 5G to be at its peak.

You could also try engineering mode by dialing *#*#4636#*#*

Hopefully it also works on a Nord
      5G working great on IN2020 CN Global Rom on 11.0.2.2, Telstra network, thanks to happiboi's instructions. Not able to get VoLTE and VoWiFi working though, not sure why.

Had to roll back initially as 5G and VoLTE and VoWiFi not working on latest update 11.0.6.6.

Will stay on 11.0.2.2 until PDC and EFSExplorer issues are fixed.

Thanks a lot happiboi.

EDIT: Figured out how to enable VoLTE and VoWiFi on 11.0.2.2 without root, did some searching on other sites.

1. Download and install this older version of the LogKit https://downloadmirror.co/1MW9/com.oem.oemlogkit_1.0-1.apk

2. Go to phone app and dial *#800#

3. Scroll down to Function Switch and tick the boxes next to VoLTE and VoWiFi then reboot phone.

4. Should now be working, if not then go into SIM settings on phone and check the VoLTE and Wi-Fi Calling toggles are on. Also make sure the icons are toggled on in the Icon Manager section in phone settings.

Tested with my mate next to me and the icons stayed on throughout both calls!.
      Telstra 5G/VoLTE working again on IN2020 with Open Beta 11
      Well this is awesome! Thanks for everyone's research - I now have 5G + VoLTE + VoWiFi all working on my OnePlus 8 Pro (IN2020 model) on Android 11 (OOS 11.0.2.2) on the Telstra network.

For some weird reason though, the "Telefonica_UK_Commercial" profile via PDC wouldn't give me 5G. Upon further investigation, I found that this profile + the carrier_policy.xml - didn't have the right config for my IN2020 phone.

Subsequently modified the carrier_policy.xml file further and BOOM! 5G is back. Researching the carrier_policy XML further - instead of specific band enabling per the previous config - I edit it to be 'hardware' so that whatever the hardware supports, it will be made available.

Anyhoo, long story short it's all working again thanks to you wonderful people :)

Summary of steps taken:

Code:
      Prerequisites:
      * Need ADB suite available on PC & enabled "ADB debugging" on phone via developer options
      * When you permit your PC adb access to the phone after first adb command, make sure you tick always permit this device. When the phone boots after "adb reboot ftm", the screen is inactive so you can't authorize the device when you try to adb shell and are stuck
      * Need QPST suite of apps installed on PC (needed PDC tools + EFS explorer)
      * If on custom firmware - probably a good idea to backup your phone before you do this. On custom firmware after the first "adb reboot ftm" rebooting again puts the device in a boot loop until you format data
      * You'll also need to ensure the toggles are enabled for VoLTE/VoWiFi before heading down this path too:
          - Enable the VoLTE/VoWiFi toggles first:
              - Download the OnePlus Log Kit app’s APK from > https://downloadmirror.co/1MW9/com.oem.oemlogkit_1.0-1.apk
              - Install the OnePlus Log Kit APK
              - Open dialer, type in *#800# (If this doesn't do anything, just google search "Oneplus engineer mode apk",                      download and install it. Then retry)
              - Click 'Enter' on the warning
              - Select 'oneplus Logkit'
              - Scroll down & select 'Function Switch'
              - tick the VoLTE & VoWiFi switch options
              - Then reboot.
              - when your phone comes back after restart, in Settings > Wifi & network > SIM & network > SIM1 (and SIM2) >                 you should now see the 'Enhanced communications' area have the option to toggle on VoLTE/VoWiFi

Then continue onto the main process:
      - Open command prompt on PC & navigate to where your ADB suite is located

- Type command without "":
          "adb devices" (I like to do this to ensure adb can speak with phone/computer)

- Should display:
          List of devices attached
          <if working, your device should be listed here (else, it'll be blank)>

"adb reboot ftm"
          --> This puts phone into field test mode

"adb shell"
          --> Creates dialogue for shell command on phone

- In the shell (OnePlus8Pro:/ $ ) type command without "":
          "setprop sys.usb.config diag,diag_mdm,qdss,qdss_mdm,serial_cdev,dpl,rmnet,adb"
          --> This opens up ports that we used to be able to in Android 10

- Phone Screen is still blank - but it's OK.

- Start up PDC Tool in Admin mode on PC

- Click drop down, select phone connection (there's only 1 in the list)
      --> **  If the drop-down box is empty and no phone/device listed, you cannot proceed.
      --> ** Other users have foudn this to be related to a Qualcomm driver issue.
      --> ** Delete the drivers you have currently installed and get a new one from here:
      --> **      https://gsmusbdriver.com/install-qualcomm-usb-driver.
      --> **  Also once the device shows up in PDC don't click on it, open efs explorer and let it start searching directories --> ** before going back to PDC and clicking on the device in the drop down.
      --> ** The window may say 'not responding' just leave it until the carrier list populates then carry on with below steps

- Do the profile activation stuff for Telefonica_UK_Commercial:
          - Look for "Telefonica_UK_Commercial", right click and SetSelectedConfig for both Sub0 and Sub1
          - Click on the above profile again and click on Activate
          - Do not restart your phone

- Don't close PDC yet (don't know if it make a difference but I didn't close)

- Open EFS Explorer (I opened in Admin mode too)

- Navigate to "\nv\item_files\ims\"
          - Replace ims_user_agent file with one supplied
          --> The supplied one has Telstra VoLTE Qualcomm as header instead of Telefonica

- Navigate to "\policyman"
          - Replace carrier_policy.xml & carrier_policy.xml_Subscription01 with ones supplied.
          --> Just take carrier_policy.xml and make a copy named "carrier_policy.xml_Subscription01"
          --> ** Caveat, I further modified the carrier_policy.xml file as it wasn't enabling 5G for me on my IN2020 (Android 11) Oneplus 8 Pro.
          --> ** I changed the nr5g_sa_bands base & nr5g_nsa_bands base values to be "hardware" rather than specifically band n78.
          --> ** This changes config to allow whatever 5G bands the hardware has available rather than specific bands
          --> ** You can't enable bands that the hardware doesn't support anyway so makes sense to enable all
          --> ** This gave me the needed 5G access with Telstra

"adb reboot"

After phone boots back up, 5G + VoLTE + VoWiFi are all intact and in working order!

Again, thank you to everyone's research and efforts to get this all working!

@Mattycee have you given this a go yet ?
      Here's the screenshot & writeup of what I did:

Here is some screenshots of 5G reception, VoLTE icon, VoWiFi icon & VoWiFi Calling while in aeroplane mode to confirm all these things are working!
      https://imgur.com/a/tau5wyX

So what did I do? All credits go to this guy on XDA to get VoLTE & VoWiFi working: https://forum.xda-developers.com/rog-phone-2/how-to/guide-enabling-volte-vowifi-v2-t4028073

For the TL;DR version, I did what I mentioned previously to get 5G going here:
      https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/...pro-in-australia.1225092/page-2#post-21673760
      https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/...pro-in-australia.1225092/page-3#post-21717398

Then to get VoLTE & VoWiFi working download these files:
      EFS zip - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1PiVhB35MPx19sxqxQ4svgOvPXL1dxobt
      MBNs zip - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1v8V281EkYGI_C1KeMqVni8L2qjQLdx5P
      EfsTools 0.10 modded 1.2 - https://github.com/HomerSp/EfsTools...modded-1.2/EfsTools-0.10-modded-1.2-win32.zip
      EfsTools 0.10 modded 1.1 - https://github.com/HomerSp/EfsTools...modded-1.1/EfsTools-0.10-modded-1.1-win32.zip

The reason I've linked both modded 1.1 & 1.2 is because 1.2 is the latest version and supports activation of 2nd SIM slot (but it errors for me so I used the modded 1.1 version but that only does SIM slot 1).

So steps:
      - Enable the VoLTE/VoWiFi toggles first:
      - Download the OnePlus Log Kit app’s APK from > https://downloadmirror.co/1MW9/com.oem.oemlogkit_1.0-1.apk
      -Install the OnePlus Log Kit APK
      - Open dialer, type in *#800# (If this doesn't do anything, just google search "Oneplus engineer mode apk", download and install it. Then retry)
      - Click 'Enter' on the warning
      - Select 'oneplus Logkit'
      - Scroll down & select 'Function Switch'
      - tick the VoLTE & VoWiFi switch options
      - Then reboot.
      - when your phone comes back after restart, in Settings > Wifi & network > SIM & network > SIM1 (and SIM2) > you should now see the 'Enhanced communications' area have the option to toggle on VoLTE/VoWiFi

Onto the actual making VoLTE/VoWiFi work:
      - Unzip EfsTools into a directory
      - Open command window on PC & navigate to the directory created in above step
      - On your phone, go to dialer, type in *#801# - enter into it via 'engineer mode'
      - Select "Rndis, diag switch" - ON (last time we selected "full port switch on")
      - Then in the command window, you should be able to test connection to EFStools by typing "EfsTools.exe efsInfo"
      - This should give some info & not any errors (mine was like 2 lines of information)
      - Then the real fun begins.
      - Extract the efs.zip from above download into the same directory as the EFStools (make sure the mcfg_autoselect_by_uim file is there - yes it's 0 bytes) and then run 2 commands:
      - EfsTools.exe writeFile -i mcfg_autoselect_by_uim -o /nv/item_files/mcfg/mcfg_autoselect_by_uim
      - EfsTools.exe writeFile -i mcfg_autoselect_by_uim -o /nv/item_files/mcfg/mcfg_autoselect_by_uim -s 1 (this one I couldn't get working - it's for SIM slot 2 & only works if usinf modded 1.2 version)
      - should see 0 errors
      - then open the MBNs zip & look for your carrier file. Ours are \aunz\<your carrier - e.g. mine is Telstra>\commerci\mcfg_sw.mbn
      - copy this mbn file to the same dir as the EFStools, then run 2 commands:
      - EfsTools.exe uploadDirectory -i mcfg_sw.mbn -o / -v
      - EfsTools.exe uploadDirectory -i mcfg_sw.mbn -o / -s 1 (again this one I couldn't get working - it's for SIM slot 2 & only works if usinf modded 1.2 version)
      - If it worked your screen should spew out a load of output but no errors.
      - Reboot your phone & if you already enabled the switches from my above mentioned post, you should see the VoLTE/VoWiFi icons like in the screenshots linked above.

Seems like a lot but that's literally step by step explanation & takes roughly 5-10 mins to do slowly.

Happy days - 5G, VoLTE & VoWiFi all working on our OnePlus 8 Pro =)
      Well this is awesome! Thanks for everyone's research - I now have 5G + VoLTE + VoWiFi all working on my OnePlus 8 Pro (IN2020 model) on Android 11 (OOS 11.0.2.2) on the Telstra network.

For some weird reason though, the "Telefonica_UK_Commercial" profile via PDC wouldn't give me 5G. Upon further investigation, I found that this profile + the carrier_policy.xml - didn't have the right config for my IN2020 phone.

Subsequently modified the carrier_policy.xml file further and BOOM! 5G is back. Researching the carrier_policy XML further - instead of specific band enabling per the previous config - I edit it to be 'hardware' so that whatever the hardware supports, it will be made available.

Anyhoo, long story short it's all working again thanks to you wonderful people :)

Summary of steps taken:

Code:
      Prerequisites:
      * Need ADB suite available on PC & enabled "ADB debugging" on phone via developer options

Process:

- Should display:
          List of devices attached

"adb reboot ftm"

"adb shell"

- Look for "Telefonica_UK_Commercial", right click and SetSelectedConfig for both Sub0 and Sub1

- Replace carrier_policy.xml & carrier_policy.xml_Subscription01 with ones supplied.
          --> ** Caveat, I further modified the carrier_policy.xml file as it wasn't enabling 5G for me on my IN2020 (Android 11) Oneplus 8 Pro.
          --> ** I changed the nr5g_sa_bands base & nr5g_nsa_bands base values to be "hardware" rather than specifically band n78.
          --> ** This changes config to allow whatever 5G bands the hardware has available rather than specific bands
          --> ** You can't enable bands that the hardware doesn't support anyway so makes sense to enable all

"adb reboot"

After phone boots back up, 5G + VoLTE + VoWiFi are all intact and in working order!

Summary of steps taken:

Code:
      Prerequisites:

Process:

- Should display:
          List of devices attached

"adb reboot ftm"

"adb shell"

"adb reboot"

Summary of steps taken:

Code:
      Prerequisites:

Process:

- Should display:
          List of devices attached

"adb reboot ftm"

"adb shell"

"adb reboot"

Mate, you're a freaking legend. (Magisk Canary root: IN2020 / Android 11 / 11.0.2.2.IN11AA / BOOST network)

I got abit confused with the "carrier_policy.xml_Subscription01" part as it wasn't in any of the files you provided, so just assumed I had to just copy and rename the "carrier_policy.xml".

Also EFS explorer took a little longer than I expected to start up (~1 minute) just incase anyone thinks theirs crashes and close it prematurely.

Worked like a charm.

Cheers
      Hi all,
      IN2020 on 11.0.4.4 w/ Telstra
      Installed Oneplus logkit and engineering apk before following happiboi's outlined steps.

Managed to get VoLTE and VoWIFI up and showing but still have 4G+ symbol. I know I'm in a 5g coverage area as my partners phone recieves Telstra 5G.

Anyone have any idea what I have done wrong? Could it be that I need to contact Telstra to enable 5G on my sim?

Cheers

UPDATE:
      I called Telstra and I was right, 5G was not enabled on my account (business plan). They enabled it and I now have 5G! Thanks for the detailed write up happiboi!
      We have a working solution without root that is easier than previous instructions.

You still need the old toolkit app and #*800# to activate vowan and volte functions if you haven't done in the past.

Follow:
      {Google Translate is your friend}

In essence...
      Download the Qualcomm tools and drivers.
      Follow the adb instructions

adb reboot ftm
      (wait for chinese to disappear and screen goes blank)
      adb shell
      setprop sys.usb.config diag,diag_mdm,qdss,qdss_mdm,serial_cdev,dpl,rmnet,adb

Open the Advanced PDC tool and select the "Telefonica_UK_Commercial " (works with Vodafone, Telstra and Optus) option for sim0 and sim1. Activate.

Do adb reboot

Enjoy vowifi and volte.