VoLTE and VoWIFI in Australia

Search This thread

Dubious01

Apr 16, 2021
It looks like I have found myself in the same boat in that I cannot connect to Telstra’s 5G network with my new OnePlus 9 Pro 5G…

Here is the background –

• I have the US variant (LE2125) currently running Oxygen OS 11.2.3.3.LE15AA
  • Have signed up to the Telstra Upfront Mobile Plan Medium 5G (BYO) plan and confirmed with Telstra numerous times since that 5G is enabled on my service.
  • Checked ‘SIM & Network’ -> ‘Preferred network type’ and the ‘2G/3G/4G/5G (Automatic)’ setting is enabled.
  • Both my home and work addresses in Sydney are in Telstra 5G coverage areas but still no 5G connection on my new phone, only 4G/4G+.

Where I am currently at now –

• I have run through the steps outlined by happiboi here (https://xdaforums.com/t/volte-and-vowifi-in-australia.4095097/page-9#post-84127849) but hit a little roadblock.
  • I can run the "setprop sys.usb.config diag,diag_mdm,qdss,qdss_mdm,serial_cdev,dpl,rmnet,adb" command without a problem.
  • Then I open the PDC Tool (in Admin mode) on my PC (Windows 10 Pro 64-bit) and find that the drop-down box is empty, and no phone/device listed so cannot proceed. ☹
  • I’m suspecting its driver related because in Device Manager I see the following 4 devices listed under the ‘Other devices’ category have popped up and are driverless –
    • DPL Data
    • LAHAINA-MTP_SN:xxxxxxxx
    • QDSS DATA
    • RmNet
  • FYI – I am using the QPST_2.7.496 pack.

Questions –

• Has anyone else experienced the drop-down box being empty in the PDC Tool and able to steer us in the right direction for a fix?
  • Am I on the right track in that its driver related?
  • If so, any idea where I can locate the drivers for the 4 ‘Other ‘devices’ listed above?

Fingers crossed it is a simple solution and I appreciate anyone’s suggestions to help resolve the situation.

gee.dunkin

Jan 6, 2015
Melbourne
OnePlus One
OnePlus 3T
It looks like I have found myself in the same boat in that I cannot connect to Telstra’s 5G network with my new OnePlus 9 Pro 5G…

Here is the background –

• I have the US variant (LE2125) currently running Oxygen OS 11.2.3.3.LE15AA
  • Have signed up to the Telstra Upfront Mobile Plan Medium 5G (BYO) plan and confirmed with Telstra numerous times since that 5G is enabled on my service.
  • Checked ‘SIM & Network’ -> ‘Preferred network type’ and the ‘2G/3G/4G/5G (Automatic)’ setting is enabled.
  • Both my home and work addresses in Sydney are in Telstra 5G coverage areas but still no 5G connection on my new phone, only 4G/4G+.

Where I am currently at now –

• I have run through the steps outlined by happiboi here (https://xdaforums.com/t/volte-and-vowifi-in-australia.4095097/page-9#post-84127849) but hit a little roadblock.
  • I can run the "setprop sys.usb.config diag,diag_mdm,qdss,qdss_mdm,serial_cdev,dpl,rmnet,adb" command without a problem.
  • Then I open the PDC Tool (in Admin mode) on my PC (Windows 10 Pro 64-bit) and find that the drop-down box is empty, and no phone/device listed so cannot proceed. ☹
  • I’m suspecting its driver related because in Device Manager I see the following 4 devices listed under the ‘Other devices’ category have popped up and are driverless –
    • DPL Data
    • LAHAINA-MTP_SN:xxxxxxxx
    • QDSS DATA
    • RmNet
  • FYI – I am using the QPST_2.7.496 pack.

Questions –

• Has anyone else experienced the drop-down box being empty in the PDC Tool and able to steer us in the right direction for a fix?
  • Am I on the right track in that its driver related?
  • If so, any idea where I can locate the drivers for the 4 ‘Other ‘devices’ listed above?

Fingers crossed it is a simple solution and I appreciate anyone’s suggestions to help resolve the situation.
Yes I had the same problem. It was to do with the Qaulcomm drivers.

Delete the ones you have currently installed and get them from here;

https://gsmusbdriver.com/install-qualcomm-usb-driver.

Also once the device shows up in PDC don't click on it, open efs explorer and let it start searching directories before going back to PDC and clicking on the device in the drop down. The window may say 'not responding' just leave it until the carrier list populates then follow the rest of happiboi guide then profit 👌

Dubious01

Apr 16, 2021

Also once the device shows up in PDC don't click on it, open efs explorer and let it start searching directories before going back to PDC and clicking on the device in the drop down. The window may say 'not responding' just leave it until the carrier list populates then follow the rest of happiboi guide then profit 👌

Well that worked an absolute treat. I now have 5G & VoLTE working. Thank you very much for your help! (y)

Reactions: gee.dunkin

happiboi

Aug 27, 2010
OnePlus 8 Pro

Might add this into the other post as well so people can download if they run into issues

evakq8r

Dec 3, 2012
Have the steps to enable VoLTE and VoWiFi changed since the latest update? (11.0.5.5.IN11BA - IN2023 model). I've followed the same procedure on Page 9 of this thread, but cannot get either VoLTE or VoWIFI to function. Mobile carrier is Boost. :(

The only network that has attempted VoLTE in the PDC is CU-VOLTE, but as soon as a call is made or received, VoLTE disappears and the call fails back to 3G.

happiboi

Aug 27, 2010
OnePlus 8 Pro
Have the steps to enable VoLTE and VoWiFi changed since the latest update? (11.0.5.5.IN11BA - IN2023 model). I've followed the same procedure on Page 9 of this thread, but cannot get either VoLTE or VoWIFI to function. Mobile carrier is Boost. :(

The only network that has attempted VoLTE in the PDC is CU-VOLTE, but as soon as a call is made or received, VoLTE disappears and the call fails back to 3G.
Negative - i've recently gone throguh the exact same steps after the 11.0.5.5 update and all is still working on Telstra for me

evakq8r

Dec 3, 2012
Negative - i've recently gone throguh the exact same steps after the 11.0.5.5 update and all is still working on Telstra for me
Figured as much.

Have tried the steps again (6th time) and factory reset the device twice, VoLTE and VoWIFI are no shows. :(

No errors in any of the output, only the one SIM, just nothing functional.

Mattycee

I have bought a OnePlus 9 Pro to have a play and I am able to get 5G working perfectly, but I am unable to get VoLTE/Wifi working. I am on the European Rom so not sure if that is the issue, but can someone assist in what I need to do to get VoWifi/LTE working please?

happiboi

Aug 27, 2010
OnePlus 8 Pro
I have bought a OnePlus 9 Pro to have a play and I am able to get 5G working perfectly, but I am unable to get VoLTE/Wifi working. I am on the European Rom so not sure if that is the issue, but can someone assist in what I need to do to get VoWifi/LTE working please?
Are you able to grab a copy of Global ROM for it and then retry the steps?

EU Rom would have different carrier files

Reactions: MrUrgit

Mattycee

After about 30 minutes or so VoWifi showed up and I am also able to do VoLTE despite the icon now showing up.
I have tested a call and it stays connected to 5G, so I am going to leave it as is for the moment.

I may flash the Global rom later and see how I go once that happens, but as it stands it is working.

Last edited:

happiboi

Aug 27, 2010
OnePlus 8 Pro
After about 30 minutes or so VoWifi showed up and I am also able to do VoLTE depsite the icon now showing up.
I have tested a call and it stays connected to 5G, so I am going to leave it as is for the moment.

I may flash the Global rom later and see how I go once that happens, but as it stands it is working.
have the icons/switches been enable via logkit?

happiboi

Aug 27, 2010
OnePlus 8 Pro
Yes they are all switched on. The VoWIFI icon is on, but the VoLTE one is not but when I make a call it doesn't kick back to 3G anymore so I think it is working although the speeds are much slower when on a call, so I am not sure if that is supposed to be the case.
hmmm i did a test a while back and speeds should drop if it's working correctly though

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here's the screenshot & writeup of what I did:

Here is some screenshots of 5G reception, VoLTE icon, VoWiFi icon & VoWiFi Calling while in aeroplane mode to confirm all these things are working!
    https://imgur.com/a/tau5wyX

So what did I do? All credits go to this guy on XDA to get VoLTE & VoWiFi working: https://xdaforums.com/rog-phone-2/how-to/guide-enabling-volte-vowifi-v2-t4028073

For the TL;DR version, I did what I mentioned previously to get 5G going here:
    https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/...pro-in-australia.1225092/page-2#post-21673760
    https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/...pro-in-australia.1225092/page-3#post-21717398

Then to get VoLTE & VoWiFi working download these files:
    EFS zip - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1PiVhB35MPx19sxqxQ4svgOvPXL1dxobt
    MBNs zip - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1v8V281EkYGI_C1KeMqVni8L2qjQLdx5P
    EfsTools 0.10 modded 1.2 - https://github.com/HomerSp/EfsTools...modded-1.2/EfsTools-0.10-modded-1.2-win32.zip
    EfsTools 0.10 modded 1.1 - https://github.com/HomerSp/EfsTools...modded-1.1/EfsTools-0.10-modded-1.1-win32.zip

The reason I've linked both modded 1.1 & 1.2 is because 1.2 is the latest version and supports activation of 2nd SIM slot (but it errors for me so I used the modded 1.1 version but that only does SIM slot 1).

So steps:
    - Enable the VoLTE/VoWiFi toggles first:
    - Download the OnePlus Log Kit app’s APK from > https://downloadmirror.co/1MW9/com.oem.oemlogkit_1.0-1.apk
    -Install the OnePlus Log Kit APK
    - Open dialer, type in *#800# (If this doesn't do anything, just google search "Oneplus engineer mode apk", download and install it. Then retry)
    - Click 'Enter' on the warning
    - Select 'oneplus Logkit'
    - Scroll down & select 'Function Switch'
    - tick the VoLTE & VoWiFi switch options
    - Then reboot.
    - when your phone comes back after restart, in Settings > Wifi & network > SIM & network > SIM1 (and SIM2) > you should now see the 'Enhanced communications' area have the option to toggle on VoLTE/VoWiFi

Onto the actual making VoLTE/VoWiFi work:
    - Unzip EfsTools into a directory
    - Open command window on PC & navigate to the directory created in above step
    - On your phone, go to dialer, type in *#801# - enter into it via 'engineer mode'
    - Select "Rndis, diag switch" - ON (last time we selected "full port switch on")
    - Then in the command window, you should be able to test connection to EFStools by typing "EfsTools.exe efsInfo"
    - This should give some info & not any errors (mine was like 2 lines of information)
    - Then the real fun begins.
    - Extract the efs.zip from above download into the same directory as the EFStools (make sure the mcfg_autoselect_by_uim file is there - yes it's 0 bytes) and then run 2 commands:
    - EfsTools.exe writeFile -i mcfg_autoselect_by_uim -o /nv/item_files/mcfg/mcfg_autoselect_by_uim
    - EfsTools.exe writeFile -i mcfg_autoselect_by_uim -o /nv/item_files/mcfg/mcfg_autoselect_by_uim -s 1 (this one I couldn't get working - it's for SIM slot 2 & only works if usinf modded 1.2 version)
    - should see 0 errors
    - then open the MBNs zip & look for your carrier file. Ours are \aunz\<your carrier - e.g. mine is Telstra>\commerci\mcfg_sw.mbn
    - copy this mbn file to the same dir as the EFStools, then run 2 commands:
    - EfsTools.exe uploadDirectory -i mcfg_sw.mbn -o / -v
    - EfsTools.exe uploadDirectory -i mcfg_sw.mbn -o / -s 1 (again this one I couldn't get working - it's for SIM slot 2 & only works if usinf modded 1.2 version)
    - If it worked your screen should spew out a load of output but no errors.
    - Reboot your phone & if you already enabled the switches from my above mentioned post, you should see the VoLTE/VoWiFi icons like in the screenshots linked above.

Seems like a lot but that's literally step by step explanation & takes roughly 5-10 mins to do slowly.

Happy days - 5G, VoLTE & VoWiFi all working on our OnePlus 8 Pro =)
    Well this is awesome! Thanks for everyone's research - I now have 5G + VoLTE + VoWiFi all working on my OnePlus 8 Pro (IN2020 model) on Android 11 (OOS 11.0.2.2) on the Telstra network.

For some weird reason though, the "Telefonica_UK_Commercial" profile via PDC wouldn't give me 5G. Upon further investigation, I found that this profile + the carrier_policy.xml - didn't have the right config for my IN2020 phone.

Subsequently modified the carrier_policy.xml file further and BOOM! 5G is back. Researching the carrier_policy XML further - instead of specific band enabling per the previous config - I edit it to be 'hardware' so that whatever the hardware supports, it will be made available.

Anyhoo, long story short it's all working again thanks to you wonderful people :)

Summary of steps taken:

Code:
    Prerequisites:
    * Need ADB suite available on PC & enabled "ADB debugging" on phone via developer options
    * When you permit your PC adb access to the phone after first adb command, make sure you tick always permit this device. When the phone boots after "adb reboot ftm", the screen is inactive so you can't authorize the device when you try to adb shell and are stuck
    * Need QPST suite of apps installed on PC (needed PDC tools + EFS explorer)
    * If on custom firmware - probably a good idea to backup your phone before you do this. On custom firmware after the first "adb reboot ftm" rebooting again puts the device in a boot loop until you format data
    * You'll also need to ensure the toggles are enabled for VoLTE/VoWiFi before heading down this path too:
        - Enable the VoLTE/VoWiFi toggles first:
            - Download the OnePlus Log Kit app’s APK from > https://downloadmirror.co/1MW9/com.oem.oemlogkit_1.0-1.apk
            - Install the OnePlus Log Kit APK
            - Open dialer, type in *#800# (If this doesn't do anything, just google search "Oneplus engineer mode apk",                      download and install it. Then retry)
            - Click 'Enter' on the warning
            - Select 'oneplus Logkit'
            - Scroll down & select 'Function Switch'
            - tick the VoLTE & VoWiFi switch options
            - Then reboot.
            - when your phone comes back after restart, in Settings > Wifi & network > SIM & network > SIM1 (and SIM2) >                 you should now see the 'Enhanced communications' area have the option to toggle on VoLTE/VoWiFi

Then continue onto the main process:
    - Open command prompt on PC & navigate to where your ADB suite is located

- Type command without "":
        "adb devices" (I like to do this to ensure adb can speak with phone/computer)

- Should display:
        List of devices attached
        <if working, your device should be listed here (else, it'll be blank)>

"adb reboot ftm"
        --> This puts phone into field test mode

"adb shell"
        --> Creates dialogue for shell command on phone

- In the shell (OnePlus8Pro:/ $ ) type command without "":
        "setprop sys.usb.config diag,diag_mdm,qdss,qdss_mdm,serial_cdev,dpl,rmnet,adb"
        --> This opens up ports that we used to be able to in Android 10

- Phone Screen is still blank - but it's OK.

- Start up PDC Tool in Admin mode on PC

- Click drop down, select phone connection (there's only 1 in the list)
    --> **  If the drop-down box is empty and no phone/device listed, you cannot proceed.
    --> ** Other users have foudn this to be related to a Qualcomm driver issue.
    --> ** Delete the drivers you have currently installed and get a new one from here:
    --> **      https://gsmusbdriver.com/install-qualcomm-usb-driver.
    --> **  Also once the device shows up in PDC don't click on it, open efs explorer and let it start searching directories --> ** before going back to PDC and clicking on the device in the drop down.
    --> ** The window may say 'not responding' just leave it until the carrier list populates then carry on with below steps

- Do the profile activation stuff for Telefonica_UK_Commercial:
        - Look for "Telefonica_UK_Commercial", right click and SetSelectedConfig for both Sub0 and Sub1
        - Click on the above profile again and click on Activate
        - Do not restart your phone

- Don't close PDC yet (don't know if it make a difference but I didn't close)

- Open EFS Explorer (I opened in Admin mode too)

- Navigate to "\nv\item_files\ims\"
        - Replace ims_user_agent file with one supplied
        --> The supplied one has Telstra VoLTE Qualcomm as header instead of Telefonica

- Navigate to "\policyman"
        - Replace carrier_policy.xml & carrier_policy.xml_Subscription01 with ones supplied.
        --> Just take carrier_policy.xml and make a copy named "carrier_policy.xml_Subscription01"
        --> ** Caveat, I further modified the carrier_policy.xml file as it wasn't enabling 5G for me on my IN2020 (Android 11) Oneplus 8 Pro.
        --> ** I changed the nr5g_sa_bands base & nr5g_nsa_bands base values to be "hardware" rather than specifically band n78.
        --> ** This changes config to allow whatever 5G bands the hardware has available rather than specific bands
        --> ** You can't enable bands that the hardware doesn't support anyway so makes sense to enable all
        --> ** This gave me the needed 5G access with Telstra

"adb reboot"

After phone boots back up, 5G + VoLTE + VoWiFi are all intact and in working order!

Again, thank you to everyone's research and efforts to get this all working!

@Mattycee have you given this a go yet ?
    Well this is awesome! Thanks for everyone's research - I now have 5G + VoLTE + VoWiFi all working on my OnePlus 8 Pro (IN2020 model) on Android 11 (OOS 11.0.2.2) on the Telstra network.

For some weird reason though, the "Telefonica_UK_Commercial" profile via PDC wouldn't give me 5G. Upon further investigation, I found that this profile + the carrier_policy.xml - didn't have the right config for my IN2020 phone.

Subsequently modified the carrier_policy.xml file further and BOOM! 5G is back. Researching the carrier_policy XML further - instead of specific band enabling per the previous config - I edit it to be 'hardware' so that whatever the hardware supports, it will be made available.

Anyhoo, long story short it's all working again thanks to you wonderful people :)

Summary of steps taken:

Code:
    Prerequisites:
    * Need ADB suite available on PC & enabled "ADB debugging" on phone via developer options

Process:

- Should display:
        List of devices attached

"adb reboot ftm"

"adb shell"

- Look for "Telefonica_UK_Commercial", right click and SetSelectedConfig for both Sub0 and Sub1

- Replace carrier_policy.xml & carrier_policy.xml_Subscription01 with ones supplied.
        --> ** Caveat, I further modified the carrier_policy.xml file as it wasn't enabling 5G for me on my IN2020 (Android 11) Oneplus 8 Pro.
        --> ** I changed the nr5g_sa_bands base & nr5g_nsa_bands base values to be "hardware" rather than specifically band n78.
        --> ** This changes config to allow whatever 5G bands the hardware has available rather than specific bands
        --> ** You can't enable bands that the hardware doesn't support anyway so makes sense to enable all

"adb reboot"

After phone boots back up, 5G + VoLTE + VoWiFi are all intact and in working order!

Summary of steps taken:

Code:
    Prerequisites:

Process:

- Should display:
        List of devices attached

"adb reboot ftm"

"adb shell"

"adb reboot"

Summary of steps taken:

Code:
    Prerequisites:

Process:

- Should display:
        List of devices attached

"adb reboot ftm"

"adb shell"

"adb reboot"

Mate, you're a freaking legend. (Magisk Canary root: IN2020 / Android 11 / 11.0.2.2.IN11AA / BOOST network)

I got abit confused with the "carrier_policy.xml_Subscription01" part as it wasn't in any of the files you provided, so just assumed I had to just copy and rename the "carrier_policy.xml".

Also EFS explorer took a little longer than I expected to start up (~1 minute) just incase anyone thinks theirs crashes and close it prematurely.

Worked like a charm.

Cheers
    Nah, I actually used the 'ims_user_agent' File linked above by Jaansberger.

The only thing I used from Happyboi's original exploit, was the Engineering APK File to enable 5G. However, make sure you don't install the Engineering APK before you do the initial VoLTE/VoWi-FI Process listed above by Mike_Fre.

So basically order of steps I followed:

- Mike_Fre's steps to enable the 'Telefonica VoLTE Qualcomm' Profile.
    - Jannsberger's step to insall the 'ims_user_agent' file (Before doing the adb reboot step listed in Mike_Fre's Post).
    - Watched and replicated the YouTube video (Which I linked in my post above), to enable 5G and still have VoLTE/VoWi-Fi.

Hope this clears things up for you, but if you have any further questions, I'd be happy to try and help.
    That worked perfectly!!! Thankyou!!!
    We have a working solution without root that is easier than previous instructions.

You still need the old toolkit app and #*800# to activate vowan and volte functions if you haven't done in the past.

Follow:
    {Google Translate is your friend}

In essence...
    Download the Qualcomm tools and drivers.
    Follow the adb instructions

adb reboot ftm
    (wait for chinese to disappear and screen goes blank)
    adb shell
    setprop sys.usb.config diag,diag_mdm,qdss,qdss_mdm,serial_cdev,dpl,rmnet,adb

Open the Advanced PDC tool and select the "Telefonica_UK_Commercial " (works with Vodafone, Telstra and Optus) option for sim0 and sim1. Activate.

Do adb reboot

Enjoy vowifi and volte.