VoLTE on Android 11

Search This thread

MrN1484

Aug 19, 2013
Huawei Mediapad M3
Xiaomi Poco F1
Hi

Got this phone a couple of days ago and in my excitement did all the updates including A11.

I'm getting no VoLTE option, my network, O2 UK supports it and my last few phones have had it.

Yesterday I factory reset, unlocked bootloader and rooted and for the life of me I still can't get it or WiFi calling to show up anywhere.

Has anyone got any tips or done the A11 update and VoLTE still works?

Thanks!

centaurian

Oct 11, 2016
We need more info about your situation. Can you please dial *#*#4636#*#* and send information about phone. It should something like this (just scroll down little - we don't need your IMEI/IMSI, but VoLTE/VoWifi options):

Screenshot_20210216-082306.png

Then dial *#*#7378423#*#* and go into "Service info" and "Software info" - it should look like something like this (mainly interested in "Current Modem Config" and second line of "Phone Software Version":
Screenshot_20210216-083738.png

Reactions: MrN1484

centaurian

Oct 11, 2016
XML:
// According mcfg_hw.mbm for your firmware VoLTE and VoWifi should be available
<if>
  <any_of evaluate_all="true">
    <tristate_reset_all return="false" />
    <iin_in not_present="false" store_in="iin">894411</iin_in>
    <imsi_3gpp_plmn_in not_present="false" store_in="3gpp_imsi">234-10</imsi_3gpp_plmn_in>
  </any_of>
  <then>
    <SelRecord carrier_name="Telefonica" country_code="826" iin="iin" imsi_3gpp="3gpp_imsi" mcfg_carrier_index="12" volte="true" vowifi="true" />
  </then>
</if>

// Just for your info, if you are interested - LTE/5G bands support (So 5G should be working for you):
<plmn_list ns="global" name="telefonica_o2_gb_p">234-10</plmn_list>
<if>
<any_of>
<serving_plmn_in list="telefonica_o2_de_p"/>
<serving_plmn_in list="telefonica_o2_es_p"/>
<serving_plmn_in list="telefonica_o2_gb_p"/>
</any_of>
<then>
<rf_bands list="other_fr_b"/>
</then>
</if>
<rf_band_list ns="global" name="other_fr_b">
<gw_bands base="hardware"/>
<lte_bands base="none">
<include>0 2 6 7 19 27 37 39</include>
</lte_bands>
<tds_bands base="none"/>
<nr5g_sa_bands base="none" />
<nr5g_nsa_bands base ="none">
<include>0 2 7 27 77</include>
</nr5g_nsa_bands>
</rf_band_list>

// Band combinations:
<if>
<cond>
<serving_plmn_in list="telefonica_o2_gb_p" />
</cond>
<then>
<ca_band_combos string="3AA-1A-mAll;3A-1AA-mAll;8AA-3A-1A-mAll;8A-3AA-1A-mAll;8A-3A-1AA-mAll;8AA-3AA-1A-mAll;8AA-3A-1AA-mAll;20AA-3A-1A-mAll;20A-3AA-1A-mAll;20A-3A-1AA-mAll;20AA-3AA-1A-mAll;28AA-3A-1A-mAll;28A-3AA-1A-mAll;28A-3A-1AA-mAll;40AA-3A-1A-mAll;40A-3AA-1A-mAll;40A-3A-1AA-mAll;40CA-3A-1A-mAll;40C-3AA-1A-mAll;40C-3A-1AA-mAll;8AA-1A-mAll;8A-1AA-mAll;8AA-1AA-mAll;20AA-8A-1A-mAll;20A-8AA-1A-mAll;20A-8A-1AA-mAll;20A-8AA-1AA-mAll;20AA-1A-mAll;20A-1AA-mAll;28AA-1A-mAll;28A-1AA-mAll;40AA-1A-mAll;40A-1AA-mAll;40CA-1A-mAll;40C-1AA-mAll;8AA-3A-mAll;8A-3AA-mAll;8AA-3AA-mAll;20AA-8A-3A-mAll;20A-8AA-3A-mAll;20A-8A-3AA-mAll;20AA-8A-3AA-mAll;20A-8AA-3AA-mAll;20AA-3A-mAll;20A-3AA-mAll;20AA-3AA-mAll;28AA-3A-mAll;28A-3AA-mAll;40AA-3A-mAll;40A-3AA-mAll;40CA-3A-mAll;40C-3AA-mAll;20AA-8A-mAll;20A-8AA-mAll;40AA-8A-mAll;40A-8AA-mAll;40AA-20A-mAll;40A-20AA-mAll;40CA-20A-mAll;40C-20AA-mAll;40AA-40A-mAll;40CA-mAll;" />
</then>
</if>

MrN1484

Aug 19, 2013
Huawei Mediapad M3
Xiaomi Poco F1
Thanks. Just for my own sanity I swapped out the sim into a Poco F1 running Pixel Experience and the option for 4g calling was there...so my sim/plan supports it. I'm just not sure how to get this phone to recognise it.

When I was out of the house this morning I got 4g+ so I guess aggregation is working, I don't live in a 5g area so don't have a 5g plan yet.

I'm rooted but I wouldn't know where to start, any tips or guides?

Edit - I've now tried both available UK Android 11 roms, O2 and customised, and neither work. I've also flashed, unrooted and relocked the bootloader and used the Xperia Companion to software repair.

So far, no luck. It's a shame as I absolutely love the phone, it's perfect for me and I'll put up with it but as it was an Amazon open box unit I'm wondering whether the previous owner has been "under the bonnet" before me and borked something.

Last edited:

MrN1484

Aug 19, 2013
Huawei Mediapad M3
Xiaomi Poco F1
Not sure to be honest.

In my case I sent back the open box unit I had and ordered an as72/256gb one from Wondamobile.

That was the same, no 4g/Wi-Fi calling, after a couple of days I contacted o2 who said it should be working but they re-enabled it and told me to restart the phone after 24 hours.

Still didn't work.

Then a couple of days later I noticed the option was enabled, so I don't know if it takes a few days to register on the network or something else.

Cptnfruitloops

Mar 4, 2020
I am also running as72 variant but in Canada and the cell reception is very bad for some reason. It jumps about from 0 bars to full bars and everything in between within 5 minutes even if the phone is just on a table. I also can't get volte either so I'm wondering if I need to do some firmware hacking to fix it? I called my cell company and they were typical zero help. At a loss now what to do...

centaurian

Oct 11, 2016
And is it really that bad? Did you check SNR and signal strength in dBm and compared it to your old phone? (I recommend NetMonser app for this).

Because reality isn't that bad and whole problem is that bar indicator being too "honest". From my observation jumping bars occurs when telephone goes from 2CC or 3CC to 1CC / 2CC, because it shows strength of weakest carrier. This is more significant when you are on edge of coverage of that capacity carrier. This is big difference compared to all those Chinese phones, which always shows strength of strongest carrier (so jumping won't occur there).

At my home I am something like 100 meters from nearest cell tower. It provides coverage on two LTE bands: 20 (800MHz) which is supposed to have country coverage and 1 (2100MHz) which is used as capacity layer in more populated area. When I am outside there is no problem - 2CC and full bars. Inside house its different story. Upstairs I get something like 1 bar, because that 2100MHz signal is really weak due thick walls (As expected - don't forget that Wifi is on 2400MHz and it don't like walls either). Downstairs I actually get full bars - because guess what? Phone gets there only 1CC signal on 800MHz and that 2100MHz capacity is out of reach. Old phone just shows full bars everywhere, because it don't mind - 800MHz is strong everywhere at my house. And yet - it don't have 2100MHz reception downstairs either.

When I compared it to older phone I've got comparable signal levels (in dBm). Also I didn't find any new holes in signal coverage outside our town (I live in hilly area and on some places there is literally no coverage).

----------------

To that your VoLTE problem, that's different story - Your phone doesn't have modem configuration for your operator. Each phone variant have different set of modem configurations of supported operators (its market related)- if its not listed, provisioning won't start and because that treacherous VoLTE doesn't work if it is supported and enabled on phone and on operator network for your device and sim. Basically you are out of luck there. Only way to enable it is root your phone and add missing modem config for your operator from US variant (and even than it can fail, if your operator is picky - it most likely not worth the effort). Or may be by flashing XQ-AS62 firmware over XQ-AS72, but it also seems risky to me.

Last edited:

Cptnfruitloops

Mar 4, 2020
And is it really that bad? Did you check SNR and signal strength in dBm and compared it to your old phone? (I recommend NetMonser app for this).

Because reality isn't that bad and whole problem is that bar indicator being too "honest". From my observation jumping bars occurs when telephone goes from 2CC or 3CC to 1CC / 2CC, because it shows strength of weakest carrier. This is more significant when you are on edge of coverage of that capacity carrier. This is big difference compared to all those Chinese phones, which always shows strength of strongest carrier (so jumping won't occur there).

At my home I am something like 100 meters from nearest cell tower. It provides coverage on two LTE bands: 20 (800MHz) which is supposed to have country coverage and 1 (2100MHz) which is used as capacity layer in more populated area. When I am outside there is no problem - 2CC and full bars. Inside house its different story. Upstairs I get something like 1 bar, because that 2100MHz signal is really weak due thick walls (As expected - don't forget that Wifi is on 2400MHz and it don't like walls either). Downstairs I actually get full bars - because guess what? Phone gets there only 1CC signal on 800MHz and that 2100MHz capacity is out of reach. Old phone just shows full bars everywhere, because it don't mind - 800MHz is strong everywhere at my house. And yet - it don't have 2100MHz reception downstairs either.

When I compared it to older phone I've got comparable signal levels (in dBm). Also I didn't find any new holes in signal coverage outside our town (I live in hilly area and on some places there is literally no coverage).

----------------

To that your VoLTE problem, that's different story - Your phone doesn't have modem configuration for your operator. Each phone variant have different set of modem configurations of supported operators (its market related)- if its not listed, provisioning won't start and because that treacherous VoLTE doesn't work if it is supported and enabled on phone and on operator network for your device and sim. Basically you are out of luck there. Only way to enable it is root your phone and add missing modem config for your operator from US variant (and even than it can fail, if your operator is picky - it most likely not worth the effort). Or may be by flashing XQ-AS62 firmware over XQ-AS72, but it also seems risky to me.
Thanks for the information. I now understand there's a lot more to it than just more bars = always more better. I will do some testing with netmonster app and report back.
------------------------
For volte it is not a big deal and I agree it may be better just to forget about it. I might try flashing USA firmware one day or root but for now I don't need volte.

Cptnfruitloops

Mar 4, 2020

----------------

I have done tests with netmonster comparing my sony and my galaxy S7 which always showed full bars. Same sim used, same placement (my basement), 3 minutes looking at the graphs and deciding rough average.

SAMSUNG showing full bars
Network: BELL 4G LTE 2600
SNR: 15
RSRP: -100
RSRQ: -6
RSSI: Not showing up

SONY showing 3 bars
Network: BELL 4G LTE 2600
SNR: 15
RSRP: -100
RSRQ: -8
RSSI: -70

SONY showing 2-3 bars
Network: BELL 4G LTE 1900
SNR: 6
RSRP: -95
RSRQ: -10
RSSI: -60

(Could not get my S7 to band 1900)
I dont really know what the numbers mean so please correct me but this seems to show that the phone receives signal on par with other phones but displays a more honest bar reading.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

----------------

We need more info about your situation. Can you please dial *#*#4636#*#* and send information about phone. It should something like this (just scroll down little - we don't need your IMEI/IMSI, but VoLTE/VoWifi options):

Screenshot_20210216-082306.png

Then dial *#*#7378423#*#* and go into "Service info" and "Software info" - it should look like something like this (mainly interested in "Current Modem Config" and second line of "Phone Software Version":
    Screenshot_20210216-083738.png