• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

VoLTE on TMo and Fingerprint Sensor

Search This thread

km8j

Dec 9, 2012
Anyone think we will be able to get the fingerprint sensor active AND retain TMo VoLTE?

texaslegend

Jan 25, 2013
College Station
Not to hijack this thread BUT will a euro xz1 work on US voice/data networks and retain fingerprint scanner? I don't really care about VoLTE...Ive never used it nor do I care to I just want this phone!

Sent from my SM-G930V using XDA Free mobile app

christogold

Aug 31, 2017
New York City
Not to hijack this thread BUT will a euro xz1 work on US voice/data networks and retain fingerprint scanner? I don't really care about VoLTE...Ive never used it nor do I care to I just want this phone!

Sent from my SM-G930V using XDA Free mobile app

Assuming it supports all the same 2G/3G/4G bands the US carrier you are using uses (and you aren't using a CDMA carrier) then yes. Historically the European Xperia versions have supported US carriers. However, it has also historically been easy to flash European firmware onto the US Xperias, to enable the fingerprint sensor in them. Either way I think it makes sense to wait for the US one so you have a functioning manufacturer warranty.

texaslegend

Jan 25, 2013
College Station
Assuming it supports all the same 2G/3G/4G bands the US carrier you are using uses (and you aren't using a CDMA carrier) then yes. Historically the European Xperia versions have supported US carriers. However, it has also historically been easy to flash European firmware onto the US Xperias, to enable the fingerprint sensor in them. Either way I think it makes sense to wait for the US one so you have a functioning manufacturer warranty.

good advice. how easy is it to flash euro firmware? where do i get it? will i need root access?

VeixES

Mar 5, 2012
Tallinn
This post details the process for the Xperia X, you have not needed root access to do it on any previous Xperias (can't say for sure till this one ships), though you will need to wait for Xperifirm to add all the Xperia XZ1 firmware versions to its database.
That tutorial is outdated for XZ Premium, XZ1 and XZ1 compact.
Please see this guide in XZ Premium section https://forum.xda-developers.com/xz-premium/help/flashing-generic-fw-simple-guide-t3652103

Last edited:

andTab

Nov 20, 2011

Only true to a certain extent. T-Mobile is shifting to Band 12 (and then 600Mhz) which requires Band 12 WITH VoLTE.
Check out the X Compact forum or other "non VoLTE" phone forums - reception is terrible.
Due to recent lawsuits T-Mobile is actively disconnecting non-VoLTE phones from Band 12.
That means you may be in a big city where you should get 100% reception ... but you have 1 bar for GPRS.

Reactions: ken_e1407

pbarrette

Aug 7, 2012
Alabama
Received my XZ1C from clove yesterday. No wifi calling option on tmobile. Flashtool doesn't show this device currently, so can't try other firmwares.
Flashtool doesn't work with the new models, but it's confirmed that Newflasher does.

From peeking into the firmware, VoLTE and WiFi calling is enabled on T-Mobile USA when the "Customized US" (ID 1310-4371) firmware is loaded, but disables the fingerprint reader.

There is a specific modem configuration and framework overlay files that get loaded to allow VoLTE and WiFi calling, so it's highly unlikely to work without the US firmware unless you are rooted and can modify the normally write-protected partitions.

You will have to download it with XperiFirm and follow the instructions in the Newflasher thread.
I'd recommend deleting the "*.ta" files first.

kobold98

Oct 1, 2017
In the US on AT&T with a US model, will I have any issues with this phone if I flash UK firmware? The fingerprint scanner isn’t an absolute necessity for me but I would definitely like to have it if I can. I only ever hear people talk about issues with T-Mobile with these phones so does that mean I shouldn’t have any AT&T issues?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Anyone know exactly what in the oem****.sin file enables TMo VoLTE, and how it could possibly be applied to a rooted X Compact?
    The bits in the OEM partition that enable T-Mobile VoLTE are exactly this:
    1] /modem-config/408/modem.conf file containing the text "tmobile_us_ims" to select the proper modem binary.
    2] /overlay/android-res-305.apk which adds ~40 "T-Mobile IMS" and "T-Mobile US MMS VoWiFi" APN settings:
    PHP:
        <apn carrier="T-Mobile IMS" apn="ims" mcc="310" mnc="260" type="ims" protocol="IPV6" roaming_protocol="IP" />
        <apn carrier="T-Mobile IMS" apn="ims" mcc="310" mnc="160" type="ims" protocol="IPV6" roaming_protocol="IP" />
        <apn carrier="T-Mobile IMS" apn="ims" mcc="310" mnc="200" type="ims" protocol="IPV6" roaming_protocol="IP" />
        <apn carrier="T-Mobile IMS" apn="ims" mcc="310" mnc="210" type="ims" protocol="IPV6" roaming_protocol="IP" />
        ...... lots more .....
        <apn carrier="T-Mobile US LTE Test" apn="fast.t-mobile.com" mmsc="http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc" mcc="001" mnc="01" type="default,mms,supl,ut" protocol="IPV6" roaming_protocol="IP" />
        <apn carrier="T-Mobile US MMS VoWiFi" apn="tmus" mmsc="http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc" mcc="310" mnc="260" type="mms" protocol="IP" roaming_protocol="IP" bearer="18" />
        <apn carrier="T-Mobile US MMS VoWiFi" apn="tmus" mmsc="http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc" mcc="001" mnc="01" type="mms" protocol="IP" roaming_protocol="IP" bearer="18" />
        <apn carrier="T-Mobile US MMS VoWiFi" apn="tmus" mmsc="http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc" mcc="310" mnc="160" type="mms" protocol="IP" roaming_protocol="IP" bearer="18" />
    3] /overlay/com.sonymobile.customizationselector-res-305.apk which associates "configuration config_id" to "408" for various "sim_config_id" values:
    PHP:
        <configuration config_id="408">
            <sim_config_id>S264.1</sim_config_id>
            <sim_config_id>S264.2</sim_config_id>
            <sim_config_id>S264.3</sim_config_id>
            <sim_config_id>S264.4</sim_config_id>
            <sim_config_id>S264.5</sim_config_id>
            <sim_config_id>S264.6</sim_config_id>
            <sim_config_id>S264.7</sim_config_id>
            <sim_config_id>S264.8</sim_config_id>
            <sim_config_id>S264.9</sim_config_id>
            <sim_config_id>S264.10</sim_config_id>
            <sim_config_id>S264.11</sim_config_id>
            <sim_config_id>S264.12</sim_config_id>
            <sim_config_id>S264.13</sim_config_id>
            <sim_config_id>S264.14</sim_config_id>
            <sim_config_id>S264.15</sim_config_id>
            <sim_config_id>S264.16</sim_config_id>
            <sim_config_id>S264.17</sim_config_id>
            <sim_config_id>S264.18</sim_config_id>
            <sim_config_id>S8663.1</sim_config_id>
        </configuration>
    4] /overlay-306-408us/android-res.apk which sets:
    PHP:
        <bool name="config_enable_hos_apn_for_mms_type_vowifi">true</bool>
        <bool name="config_feature_iwlan_enabled">true</bool>
        <bool name="config_enable_volte_default_value">true</bool>
    5] /overlay-306-408us/com.android.carrierconfig-res.apk which sets:
    PHP:
            <boolean name="carrier_volte_available_bool" value="true" />
            <boolean name="carrier_wfc_ims_available_bool" value="true" />
            <boolean name="carrier_default_wfc_ims_enabled_bool" value="true" />
            <boolean name="carrier_vt_available_bool" value="false" />
            <int name="carrier_default_wfc_ims_mode_int" value="2" />
            <int name="carrier_default_wfc_ims_roaming_mode_int" value="2" />
            <boolean name="support_pause_ims_video_calls_bool" value="false" />
    6] /overlay-306-408us/com.android.phone-res.apk which sets:
    PHP:
        <bool name="enable_ss_over_ut_when_roaming">true</bool>
        <bool name="enable_ss_over_ut_only_when_ims_registered">true</bool>
        <bool name="enable_ss_over_ut_when_data_off">true</bool>
        <bool name="enable_ut_interface_policy_manager">true</bool>
    7] /system-properties/408/config.prop which sets:
    PHP:
    persist.radio.calls.on.ims=1
    persist.data.iwlan.enable=true

Note Item #1] This is used to select a modem "mbn" file that lives in the "system" SIN at /etc/customization/modem/ and has a file name of amss_fsg_lilac_tmobile_us_ims_tar.mbn. So if the X Compact doesn't have a modem file with "tmobile_us_ims" in the name, it probably won't work. Interestingly, there is a "tmobile_us_ims" mbn file present on the XZ1 (full-size) and on the XZP.

Note Item #6] I'm not sure about exactly what these do, but ims is mentioned. IMS is the "IP Multimedia Subsystem" and is used as the framework for telephony over IP based data connections. That's essentially what VoLTE is: VOIP for mobile phones.

Also note that the OEM sin changes other values (12hr time display vs 24hr, LTE vs 4G icons, that NFC icon we can't disable, etc), but I've tried to limit it to what I reasonably expect are the items that enable VoLTE on T-Mobile.
    Frankly, I'd like to see screenshots to prove that.

The US firmware doesn't contain the fingerprint reader trustzone binaries, libraries or support software.
    So you'd have to have a non-US firmware version that contains all the files required to support the fingerprint reader.

The US firmware's "oem_X-FLASH-ALL-C93B.sin" file contains the modem configuration for T-Mobile, as well as the framework overlay files that enable VoLTE and WiFi calling, but it also contains a file called "android-config/early_config.xml" which has entries named "config_packagesBlacklist" and "config_packagesFullBlacklist" that disable the fingerprint related software.

I assume this is to prevent people from flashing, say, the CE1 firmware with the US oem.sin file to get both TMO VoLTE and fingerprint working simultaneously.

The only way around this is to delete the "early_config.xml" file, and that requires root as well as RIC and verity disabled.
    The only way to do that currently is by unlocking the bootloader and losing your DRM keys.

See my screens in the prior 2 posts. It's really much easier than what you are describing. Download the Customized UK firmware from Xperifirm. Download the Customized US firmware from Xperifirm. Copy the system sin file and vendor sin file from UK firmware and replace the files in US firmware with the copied files. Flash the modified US firmware using newflasher tool. Bingo!

I got the info from this Reddit thread and jumped right on testing it with XZ1C and had success. :good::D Major credit to ajeatssushi over on reddit for finding the right files.
    Now that .51 is coming with the camera distortion fix, I'm sure lots of us would love to upgrade without losing user data. Is it possible to flash the newer version plus the US .oem file and still retain user data?

I messed with this today and was able to upgrade without losing data.

In my research, it looks like that the firmware package itself (update.xml) tips its hand as to what needs to be "saved" during upgrades. As far as I can tell, this is a list of .sin files are not needed to be flashed when upgrading from version to version. These files are flagged with <NOERASE> in update.xml.

In my particular use case (South Korean firmware v374 -> v51), the update.xml file says that the following SIN files are not to be erased:

appslog_X-FLASH-ALL-C93B.sin
    diag_X-FLASH-ALL-C93B.sin
    ssd_X-FLASH-ALL-C93B.sin
    Qnovo_X-FLASH-ALL-C93B.sin
    userdata_X-FLASH-ALL-C93B.sin

as such, I simply moved those files (and all TA files) to another directory so newflasher would ignore them and flashed everything else in the .51 package.

Went off without a hitch.
    andTab is just saying that the phone isn't worth it without both.
    Having seen his posting history lately, I don't think that's what he was saying.

What we knew before the first phone or firmware was ever seen:
    1] Sony disables the fingerprint scanner in US firmware.
    2] T-Mobile requires certification and configuration for VoLTE.

What we know after seeing the firmware:
    1] Sony disabled the fingerprint scanner in the US firmware.
    2] Configuration files for T-Mobile VoLTE are present in the US firmware.

Sony's official line:
    1] The fingerprint scanner doesn't work in US firmware.
    2] The US firmware supports T-Mobile VoLTE and WiFi calling.

Literally none of this is news.
    If you want T-Mobile VoLTE and fingerprint, you're going to have to unlock your bootloader, get root and mix/match firmware parts.
    It's totally do-able, but you'll lose your DRM keys currently.
    Do you think it'd make any sense to pull the oem file out of the newer .324 US rom to 'update' the oem file from .281? Or is it literally just a file that contains information about a region's carriers and will be no different?

It probably doesn't matter at all.
    I recall comparing the 281 and 324 versions of the US oem files at one point and didn't see anything that stuck out at me as different.

So it shouldn't matter, but Sony does some odd things sometimes.

I upgraded from UK 324 to UK 374 using the method above, noting the same entries in update.xml, plus omitting the OEM sin with no issues.

Oddly enough, I had issues with this method (albeit I flashed between different versions). I tried leaving out an OEM file entirely the first time, thinking the phone would just fall back to the US 281 version I had flashed previously...however, my phone got stuck in a bootloop.

Afterward, I grabbed the 324 US OEM file and copied it to my original flash directory and re-flashed and it worked fine... so it's plausible the 281 OEM file is not compatible with the 51 update.