How To Guide VoLTE, VoWIFI, and 5G in AUS

Search This thread

OzziDroid

Dec 16, 2021
Hi Guys, Thanks for providing detailed instructions. I am not a super technical person. But, I managed to follow steps provided in the instructions. Also, I had to create a profile in XDA to thank members in this forum and provide details of my experience.
I successfully managed to get VoLTE and VoWiFi working. Screenshots are attached. The area that I reside is not covered with 5G service. I am yet to test whether 5G is working and I will keep you posted. I am with Optus - Australia.
Note: I edited the 'ims_user_agent' file and replaced the text 'Telstra' with 'Optus'.

Screenshot_20211216-125307.jpg
Screenshot_20211216-125321.jpg
Screenshot_20211216-125400.jpg
Screenshot_20211216-125230.jpg

Few things I noticed during the process;
1. I could not find the device in PDC Dropdown.
2. I noticed that the mobile device driver was outdated in Windows device manager
3. I installed the latest 'qualcomm-usb-driver' and restarted the pc and the device was detected and started appearing in the PDC Dropdown
4. 'EFS Explorer' - I could only find 'carrier_policy.xml' inside the 'policyman' folder.
5. When I tried replacing the files, there was a warning saying the file size is too big. I got a copy of the 'carrier_policy.xml' file available in the mobile device and replaced the content with content in the provided XML and imported back to the 'policyman' folder. Then I re-named the same XML and replaced the content with content in the provided "carrier_policy.xml_Subscription01" file and placed it in the 'policyman' folder.
6. Finally, performed the 'adb reboot'.

As @mhall156 mentioned, its a shame that we have to go through this pain to get basic services working in a Flagship mobile device. I guess, OnePlus should know that people buy their devices from overseas and users travel around the world. They should do more to work with the carriers to ensure the devices are compatible, accepted, whatever to get the basic services working. Please see below note from OnePlus support.

1639650688797.png

OnePlus Community Forum Thread: https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/...9-pro-le2125-australia-optus-network.1525384/
#oneplus #optus #australia #5G #LE2125 #oneplussupport

Last edited:
Hi Guys, Thanks for providing detailed instructions. I am not a super technical person. But, I managed to follow steps provided in the instructions. Also, I had to create a profile in XDA to thank members in this forum and provide details of my experience.
I successfully managed to get VoLTE and VoWiFi working. Screenshots are attached. The area that I reside is not covered with 5G service. I am yet to test whether 5G is working and I will keep you posted. I am with Optus - Australia.
Note: I edited the 'ims_user_agent' file and replaced the text 'Telstra' with 'Optus'.

View attachment 5483885View attachment 5483897View attachment 5483889View attachment 5483891

2. I noticed that the mobile device driver was outdated in Windows device manager
3. I installed the latest 'qualcomm-usb-driver' and restarted the pc and the device was detected and started appearing in the PDC Dropdown
4. 'EFS Explorer' - I could only find 'carrier_policy.xml' inside the 'policyman' folder.
5. When I tried replacing the files, there was a warning saying the file size is too big. I got a copy of the 'carrier_policy.xml' file available in the mobile device and replaced the content with content in the provided XML and imported back to the 'policyman' folder. Then I re-named the same XML and replaced the content with content in the provided "carrier_policy.xml_Subscription01" file and placed it in the 'policyman' folder.

As @mhall156 mentioned, its a shame that we have to go through this pain to get basic services working in a Flagship mobile device. I guess, OnePlus should know that people buy their devices from overseas and users travel around the world. They should do more to work with the carriers to ensure the devices are compatible, accepted, whatever to get the basic services working. Please see below note from OnePlus support.

View attachment 5483883
Awesome! Thanks for the detailed reply. I'm glad it's all working for you on Optus!

Out of curiosity did you try doing the method without changing the heading from Telstra to optus? If so did it work? When I was with Vodafone I didn't bother changing it and had no issues so just curious with optus.

Awesome to see we have confirmed all 3 major telcos working still!

OzziDroid

Dec 16, 2021
Awesome! Thanks for the detailed reply. I'm glad it's all working for you on Optus!

Out of curiosity did you try doing the method without changing the heading from Telstra to optus? If so did it work? When I was with Vodafone I didn't bother changing it and had no issues so just curious with optus.

Awesome to see we have confirmed all 3 major telcos working still!
I changed the header to 'Optus' (replaced the text 'Telstra' with 'Optus'. I was also curious and I think this is not making any difference. What makes the difference is what you do in the Profile Activation and content in the 'carrier_policy.xml' & 'carrier_policy.xml_Subscription01' files. In this instance, we edit the 'Telefonica_UK_Commercial' and activating Sub0 and Sub1. However, I also noticed that there is a profile for 'Singtel_Commercial'. Although the trade name goes as 'Optus' in Australia, the parent company is Singtel. I was wondering, what would happen if you activate Sub0 and Sub1 in this profile instead of 'Telefonica_UK_Commercial'. If someone is keen to experiment on this, keen to know the outcome. I could be wrong as I am yet to see whether the 5G is working.

I changed the header to 'Optus' (replaced the text 'Telstra' with 'Optus'. I was also curious and I think this is not making any difference. What makes the difference is what you do in the Profile Activation and content in the 'carrier_policy.xml' & 'carrier_policy.xml_Subscription01' files. In this instance, we edit the 'Telefonica_UK_Commercial' and activating Sub0 and Sub1. However, I also noticed that there is a profile for 'Singtel_Commercial'. Although the trade name goes as 'Optus' in Australia, the parent company is Singtel. I was wondering, what would happen if you activate Sub0 and Sub1 in this profile instead of 'Telefonica_UK_Commercial'. If someone is keen to experiment on this, keen to know the outcome. I could be wrong as I am yet to see whether the 5G is working.
Ah yep makes sense.

I'd be interested to see if singtel does work for optus.

I do happen to know for Vodafone the Hungary profile does in fact give our phones working volte. 5G doesn't work on that profile though.

OvO666

Oct 30, 2018
I finally got volte on Telus Canada after years of trying but vowifi still doesn't want to work

OzziDroid

Dec 16, 2021
Only thing I can think of besides trying different profiles would be 100% confirming that 5G is enabled on Optus end for your sim. I don't personally have any experience with optus so unsure beyond that.
I changed the SIM and Changed to a new Plan with 5G enabled. Optus confirmed that 5G is enabled on my plan. I have been trying different configurations for the last few hours without much luck. Hey @happiboi - Could you please check the attached file and update your XML? Below attached XML has MCC MNC codes for Oceania. e.g. Optus MCC is 505 and MNC is 02. Yes, I had to research that :/ . My Dev skills are '0'.
P.s. I tried updating SetSelectedConfig for both Sub0 and Sub1 for Singtel_Commercial with the attached XML. VoWiFi stopped working and no improvement on 5G either.

It would be awesome, if you could incorporate the updates to your XML (carrier_policy.xml) and upload it here.. 🙌

Attachments

• CarrierPolicy-Latest.xml
    45 KB · Views: 23

OzziDroid

Dec 16, 2021
Here is the feedback my mobile carrier has received from OnePlus R&D Team.

"Based on the feedback from OnePlus R&D, there are specific regulations that must be followed hence certain NR bands are not enabled for use in Australia. Since the device is purchased from the US, n78/n40 (5G bands) are disabled on North American variants."

OnePlus device purchased from US will not connect to 5G network in Australia.

I have been a huge OnePlus fan and this is such a big let down from OnePlus. They should explicitly mention this incompatibility issue on their website. I will be ditching OnePlus for good. Aussies, don't waste your time on this any further. There are other great brands in the market, personally I am thinking of switching to Google Pixel.
#OnePlusFail @PeteLau

Here is the feedback my mobile carrier has received from OnePlus R&D Team.

"Based on the feedback from OnePlus R&D, there are specific regulations that must be followed hence certain NR bands are not enabled for use in Australia. Since the device is purchased from the US, n78/n40 (5G bands) are disabled on North American variants."

OnePlus device purchased from US will not connect to 5G network in Australia.

I have been a huge OnePlus fan and this is such a big let down from OnePlus. They should explicitly mention this incompatibility issue on their website. I will be ditching OnePlus for good. Aussies, don't waste your time on this any further. There are other great brands in the market, personally I am thinking of switching to Google Pixel.
#OnePlusFail @PeteLau

Interesting, I do remember when purchasing my OP9Pro the reason for buying the EU version was for full band support in AUS. But on that note band 78 is listed as being supported on the US version but not band 40. Optus seems to be the only carrier using band 40 in aus for 5G. I assume that means your 5G coverage area is within that band.

The EU version of the 9Pro is the only version that supports all active bands in AUS.

The bands for the US version are listed on the American OP webpage https://www.oneplus.com/9-pro/specs

GSM arena has a breakdown of each version of the phone also with each versions supporting bands. https://www.gsmarena.com/oneplus_9_pro-10806.php

Theoretically 5G should be working for you in a band 78 area or with a different carrier that doesn't utilise band 40 for 5G.

Here is the list of network frequencies in AUS.

The only carrier that the US version fully supports in AUS is Vodafone. But you can check what bands are being used in your area with the "Aus Phone Towers" app and make a judgement call from that.

Best of luck anyway!

Hildanew

Sep 21, 2021
Haven't been able to, I don't believe this method works anymore for OOS12. My phone is now working natively on the EU build on Telstra though.

What carrier are you on?
the Logit cant be instal on OOS12->cant enable/modifi setting for automaticcaly unsupported carriers. on OOS11 work nicely.

Hildanew

Sep 21, 2021
Yep, seems this guide doesn't work with OOS12 anymore but also seems like the supported carriers has increased significantly. What version of the rom are you on and what carrier?
yea. official supported carries is more. automaticaly my second carrier "Orange" is supported but my main carrier "4" isnt.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Do I need to edit any files, or just simply use the ones uploaded at the beginning of this thread?
    It's been a minute since I've done it but from memory you should just follow the guide as is and should work.
    Hello Fellow OP9 Pro users

I just wanted to start a thread for anyone interested in a OP9/Pro in australia that wanted to get Volte, VoWIFI, and 5G working.
    I have tested this and confirmed that it is 100% working for Telstra & Vodafone, I have good word that this method will also work on Optus but don't actually have an Optus sim to test this with.

Huge shout out to happiboi from the OP8 forums for the methods used to get this all working with A11.

First step is to download the oneplus logkit from this link: https://downloadmirror.co/1MW9/com.oem.oemlogkit_1.0-1.apk
    Once this has been installed, open the dialer on the phone and type in *#800#, tap on the "oneplus logkit" button, scroll down and tap on "Function switch", then tap on "VoLTE switch" but do not click restart click cancel. Then Tap on "VoWiFi switch" this time press reboot.

Once the phone has rebooted open settings, Wi-Fi & Network, SIM & network, SIM 1, then enable both the toggles for VoLTE and VoWIFI. This is probably also a good time to ensure 5G is enabled under "Prefer network type".

Now what we have done so far is essentially just enable the toggles for everything to work, what we still need to do is actually configure the phone to work on the Australian mobile networks, this is where the information and hard work from happiboi really comes in. I have quoted the guide from happiboi below as it is very well written anyway.
    Code:
    Prerequisites:
    * Need ADB suite available on PC & enabled "ADB debugging" on phone via developer options
    * When you permit your PC adb access to the phone after first adb command, make sure you tick always permit this device. When the phone boots after "adb reboot ftm", the screen is inactive so you can't authorise the device when you try to adb shell and are stuck
    * Need QPST suite of apps installed on PC (needed PDC tools + EFS explorer)
    * If on custom firmware - probably a good idea to backup your phone before you do this. On custom firmware after the first "adb reboot ftm" rebooting again puts the device in a boot loop until you format data

Process:
    - Open command prompt on PC & navigate to where your ADB suite is located

- Type command without "":
        "adb devices" (I like to do this to ensure adb can speak with phone/computer)

- Should display:
        List of devices attached
        <if working, your device should be listed here (else, it'll be blank)>

"adb reboot ftm"
        --> This puts phone into field test mode

"adb shell"
        --> Creates dialogue for shell command on phone

- In the shell (OnePlus8Pro:/ $ ) type command without "":
        "setprop sys.usb.config diag,diag_mdm,qdss,qdss_mdm,serial_cdev,dpl,rmnet,adb"
        --> This opens up ports that we used to be able to in Android 10

- Phone Screen is still blank - but it's OK.

- Start up PDC Tool in Admin mode on PC

- Click drop down, select phone connection (there's only 1 in the list)
    --> **  If the drop-down box is empty and no phone/device listed, you cannot proceed.
    --> ** Other users have foudn this to be related to a Qualcomm driver issue.
    --> ** Delete the drivers you have currently installed and get a new one from here:
    --> **      https://gsmusbdriver.com/install-qualcomm-usb-driver.
    --> **  Also once the device shows up in PDC don't click on it, open efs explorer and let it start searching directories --> ** before going back to PDC and clicking on the device in the drop down.
    --> ** The window may say 'not responding' just leave it until the carrier list populates then carry on with below steps

- Do the profile activation stuff for Telefonica_UK_Commercial:
        - Look for "Telefonica_UK_Commercial", right click and SetSelectedConfig for both Sub0 and Sub1
        - Click on the above profile again and click on Activate
        - Do not restart your phone

- Don't close PDC yet (don't know if it make a difference but I didn't close)

- Open EFS Explorer (I opened in Admin mode too)

- Navigate to "\nv\item_files\ims\"
        - Replace ims_user_agent file with one supplied
        --> The supplied one has Telstra VoLTE Qualcomm as header instead of Telefonica

- Navigate to "\policyman"
        - Replace carrier_policy.xml & carrier_policy.xml_Subscription01 with ones supplied.
        --> Just take carrier_policy.xml and make a copy named "carrier_policy.xml_Subscription01"
        --> ** Caveat, I further modified the carrier_policy.xml file as it wasn't enabling 5G for me on my IN2020 (Android 11) Oneplus 8 Pro.
        --> ** I changed the nr5g_sa_bands base & nr5g_nsa_bands base values to be "hardware" rather than specifically band n78.
        --> ** This changes config to allow whatever 5G bands the hardware has available rather than specific bands
        --> ** You can't enable bands that the hardware doesn't support anyway so makes sense to enable all
        --> ** This gave me the needed 5G access with Telstra

"adb reboot"

After phone boots back up, 5G + VoLTE + VoWiFi are all intact and in working order!
    [/QUOTE]
    I am extremely interested to see if anyone running the A12 beta would try this and see what sort of results they are able to achieve.

Cheers guys.
    Might be helpful.. - 4pda
    Thanks a lot for this! thought I was being screwed by Telstra the whole time.

Confirmed working on LE2123, Oxygen build 11.2.6.6.LE15BA with Telstra 5G, VoWIFI & VoLTE, though when installing the Qualcomm driver in Device Manager I had to use the "Qualcomm HS-USB WWAN Adapter 9091" option to make my phone show up in QPST.

Screenshot_20211216-125307.jpg
    Screenshot_20211216-125321.jpg
    Screenshot_20211216-125400.jpg
    Screenshot_20211216-125230.jpg

1639650688797.png

OnePlus Community Forum Thread: https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/...9-pro-le2125-australia-optus-network.1525384/
    Thanks for this. Can confirm that this works for the UK as well. I'm on VOXI (Vodafone) and saw no option for wifi calling. Just followed the first part to download the logkit, enabled switch, wifi calling working :)