VOLTE Wifi Calling with Unlocked S10+

Search This thread

Warwizard

Aug 15, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Hey there, I've been doing a bit of research but it has been a long while since i have done any flashing of firmware etc. I received my s10+ device today. Model number is SM-G975UZKAXAA. I am a Verizon wireless customer. When I placed this device on my account I noticed I have no access to Voice over LTE, and I also do not have any access to Wifi Calling. My question is the following. I read somewhere a couple of weeks ago that if I wanted something like this I would need to flash the original VZW Firmware which would have all the lovely bloatware etc on the device. Is there any way I can do that? I have seen firmware that has been posted but I dont seem to see anything that specifically is the VZW apps etc which should (hopefully allow VOLTE and Wifi Calling and maybe even HD Calling, if thats a thing)

I would appreciate any info anyone can provide me on this, as the only solution I can see at the moment is to return the device and start over with a VZW specific device.

Cheers~

Reactions: jdlc1400

clubtech

Jun 26, 2007
USA
Unlocked US version here with Verizon and wifi calling and volte working out of the box.
You may want to call Verizon to see if they need to provision it for your account.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

skinnytoo2

Oct 22, 2007
Unlocked US version here with Verizon and wifi calling and volte working out of the box.
You may want to call Verizon to see if they need to provision it for your account.

Same here!! Really happy about it too as my unlocked Note 9 did not work.

AB_

Sep 25, 2009

Same here!! Really happy about it too as my unlocked Note 9 did not work.

Hey guys, just wanted to check in with you (or anyone else who has wifi calling on unlocked Verizon). It is 100% working? It's the only reason I got the carrier version. Should I cancel and order the unlocked?

thecarp1975

Apr 5, 2012
Vinton, VA
Hey guys, just wanted to check in with you (or anyone else who has wifi calling on unlocked Verizon). It is 100% working? It's the only reason I got the carrier version. Should I cancel and order the unlocked?
Yes, it works with my unlocked S10+ on Verizon. It surprised the heck out of me as I too have the unlocked Note9, but no wifi calling.

Jeremyinsf

Mar 8, 2019
Can you explain how you enabled WiFi calling on unlocked version, on Verizon? I can't find a way to do it. What about HD Voice? My real problem is that data does not work while on a call, using my unlocked, on Verizon. Is there a way to get that working?

skinnytoo2

Oct 22, 2007
I have unlocked S10+ on VZW. I get LTE+ which is VoLTE, data works while on a call.

Charkatak

Aug 11, 2012
WA
Hey there, I've been doing a bit of research but it has been a long while since i have done any flashing of firmware etc. I received my s10+ device today. Model number is SM-G975UZKAXAA. I am a Verizon wireless customer. When I placed this device on my account I noticed I have no access to Voice over LTE, and I also do not have any access to Wifi Calling. My question is the following. I read somewhere a couple of weeks ago that if I wanted something like this I would need to flash the original VZW Firmware which would have all the lovely bloatware etc on the device. Is there any way I can do that? I have seen firmware that has been posted but I dont seem to see anything that specifically is the VZW apps etc which should (hopefully allow VOLTE and Wifi Calling and maybe even HD Calling, if thats a thing)

I would appreciate any info anyone can provide me on this, as the only solution I can see at the moment is to return the device and start over with a VZW specific device.

Cheers~

Unlocked S10e on T-Mobile. WiFi Calling, VoLTE and band 12 are working. There is no setting for VoLTE, but it works

k0nkuzh0n

Jan 22, 2011
Can you explain how you enabled WiFi calling on unlocked version, on Verizon? I can't find a way to do it. What about HD Voice? My real problem is that data does not work while on a call, using my unlocked, on Verizon. Is there a way to get that working?

For WiFi calling on Unlocked:
Open Dialer
Click 3 dots
Settings
Hit the slider for Wi-Fi Calling to enable.

k0nkuzh0n

Jan 22, 2011
I have unlocked S10+ on VZW. I get LTE+ which is VoLTE, data works while on a call.

I don't think that is right. LTE+ and VoLTE are different things. As well as data while on a call.
VoLTE means your call is being transmitted over LTE. I'm pretty sure you can use data while on a call WITHOUT VoLTE.

---------- Post added at 03:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:30 AM ----------

WiFi calling and volte works

How do you test if VoLTE is working? Do you get an Icon for it?

I tested WiFi calling by going into airplane mode, turning Wifi on, and making a call and it worked. But didn't get a special icon for it.

johnnyutah22

Jul 17, 2011
Tennessee
For those basing your decision to buy unlocked/international vs branded, be warned. I can only speak for Att, but I spent about 2 hours arguing with their level 2 tech department and here's what I have learned. If you have a sim that is provisioned on a branded phone and then put the sim into an unlocked/international phone, you will be able to use volte, wi-fi calling, etc., but only until the carrier pings your imei for a periodical check, once that happens, those features disappear. Also, on Android Pie, the Enhanced LTE Services tab under Mobile Data has been removed as it is turned on by default, also confirmed with ATT. The only way to manually check is to toggle wifi calling on and see if it works. Anyway, just trying to help as I have gone to a branded phone for the first time in 6 years because the reception and enhanced features are more important than rooting to me.

samappz

Nov 8, 2013
I was able to get wifi and volte working on my unlocked s10 by putting sim into verizon phone, letting network recognize it, enabling advanced calling and such on that device and then taking the sim out and putting it back in my new unlocked s10. The option for volte appears in settings-connections-mobile networks.

Ace42

Jul 20, 2009
USA
Moto G Power
Motorola Edge
VoLTE works on tmobile, not that anyone should be surprised. That has been the case for the S8 thru N9. Now... I noticed that Samsung removed the VoLTE toggle from settings.

Jeremyinsf

Mar 8, 2019
I was able to get wifi and volte working on my unlocked s10 by putting sim into verizon phone, letting network recognize it, enabling advanced calling and such on that device and then taking the sim out and putting it back in my new unlocked s10. The option for volte appears in settings-connections-mobile networks.

Using what I learned in this thread, I called Verizon and talked to Level2 support. They tried to get everything working and could not - but this was when I had the new SIM installed, provided by Samsung when I got my S10+.

So because others here spoke of their 'other' SIM, I suggested we try that - so I plugged in the SIM from my S8 and asked them to reprovision everything. They did... and....Now everything that didn't work ... WORKS.

So I have an Unlocked S10+ on Verizon that has (among other things):
- Wifi Calling
- Real Time Text
- VoLTE ("HD Voice") (Which means data now works while I'm on a phone call)
- Visual Voicemail

So it seems the Samsung SIM was part of the problem, and they are reporting this to Samsung. The tech support person told me others have reported similar issues and they will get with Samsung to figure out what the issue is.
Hopefully this helps some others as well!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For those basing your decision to buy unlocked/international vs branded, be warned. I can only speak for Att, but I spent about 2 hours arguing with their level 2 tech department and here's what I have learned. If you have a sim that is provisioned on a branded phone and then put the sim into an unlocked/international phone, you will be able to use volte, wi-fi calling, etc., but only until the carrier pings your imei for a periodical check, once that happens, those features disappear. Also, on Android Pie, the Enhanced LTE Services tab under Mobile Data has been removed as it is turned on by default, also confirmed with ATT. The only way to manually check is to toggle wifi calling on and see if it works. Anyway, just trying to help as I have gone to a branded phone for the first time in 6 years because the reception and enhanced features are more important than rooting to me.

Cheers~
    i have an ATT s10+ that i flashed with g975u1 but can't seem to get wifi calling to work without including 100% of the bloatware during the odin transfer. anyone have better luck?
    I have the Hong Kong unlocked Snapdragon SM-G9750 and VoLTE and WIFI calling worked out of the box when I swapped in the T-mobile SIM from my branded Galaxy S7.

I will see if they can provision Visual Voice Mail and Real Time Texting (not that I'm that interested in using them, but you never know).

I'm hooking up to band 2,4,5 and 12, but the phone does not support 66 and 71. Hopefully this will not be an issue in my rare forays to rural areas but I'm mostly in NYC.

I'm super pleased with this phone so far in every respect. With an unlocked bootloader I hope I can root at some point, but this is a pretty obscure variant it seems.