Volume down/mute

Search This thread

rakh1

Jan 28, 2003
UK
rakh1.blogspot.com
Got it this afternoon... Noticed that the volume keeps turning full down to mute with no input from me...

Faulty phone or a software issue? Anyone else seen this?

R

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA App

el3ctrik

Aug 2, 2011
Manchester
T

Thyrus

You are not alone. A handful of people commented on that at in the 24hr thread. I named it the SAV -ghost. (Self adjusting volume ghost)

Last edited:

HooloovooUK

May 25, 2007
You are not alone. A handful of people commented on that at in the 24hr thread. I named it the SAV -ghost. (Self adjusting volume ghost)

Surely it should be either self-adjusting-volume or volume-adjusting-ghost? It can't be SAV-ghost because if it's a ghost adjusting the volume then it's not self adjusting!:D

Reactions: HideYoKids
T

Thyrus

Lol you have a point there. Lol. Damn there goes my contribution to android -naming the first galaxy Nexus bug.. ah well I still call it sav-ghost :)

Nebucatnetzer

Feb 4, 2011
Surely it should be either self-adjusting-volume or volume-adjusting-ghost? It can't be SAV-ghost because if it's a ghost adjusting the volume then it's not self adjusting!:D

It's a ghost he can convince the phone to adjust the volume by itself. Come on everybody knows that.

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA App

T

Thyrus

Questions regarding this issue:

Does it only decrease volume?
Can you reproduce it?
how often does it occur?
Any apps you have installed that might interfere with volume in any way?

justabrake

Apr 18, 2010
NYC
maybe this was the reason for all the delays, sounds like a software problem especially if they released the phone, can't be hardware if they knew of this issue

T

Thyrus

Well too early to say I would need some info to narrow it down.. I don't think it is sw at the moment. I twittered some other experienced users and they're have not seen such on their device. So could be user app related (market apps) or hw batch issue.

rakh1

Jan 28, 2003
UK
rakh1.blogspot.com
As far as I can remember this was occurring when the phone was vanilla. Only ever adjustable down. Have fought it several times with up volume but it is like the down volume key is locked on. However, down volume key appears fine so I don't think this is mechanical.

R

justabrake

Apr 18, 2010
NYC
Did they officially release the phone ?

I thought the release date officially was the 17th

They released them didn't they, they just didn't appear out of the sky,

This must be the reason why all the delays on this Recall if it's a hardware for sure software can be fixed,

I know they said they ported ICS over to the SGS2 phone I'm wondering if that has the same problems if not then it's hardware for sure

garok89

Jun 24, 2009
East Kilbride
thought it was just my imagination at first....i hope it is software, i have already unlocked the bootloader so byebye warranty

happening to this many people, it seems software, not hardware related

tried experimenting, making sure that there was no way there was any pressure on the volume key

one thing which seems to confirm that it is software - hold volume down, dont let go, and then hold volume up at the same time. the volume goes up instead of having a battle....anyone concur?

that and, in bootloader mode it doesn't seem to be cycling through the options when left alone for a while

T

Thyrus

Righty then, really willing to help you guys.

hold volume down, dont let go, and then hold volume up at the same time. the volume goes up instead of having a battle....anyone concur?
Thats actually normal. This is how it is supposed to behave, no battle anticipated. Same behaviour on my 3 phones.

Again, my questions:
- Which volume is affected? Media volume, ringtone volume or all volume (master). When this happened, what did the display say which volume is being adjusted?
- Up and down, or down only (ie decrease only? or up down as it wants)
- If you have seen it adjust volume and it says "Media Volume", did it also happen during a call (which would then say call volume or similar). It is really important as both volumes are actually independant from each other. Meaning if more than one type of volume is affected, it may point more towards hardware than software. I can hardly believe that ICS or any app for this matter would trigger this behaviour in different threads/apps.
- Can you reproduce it? If so, please help us with logs to see whether HW or SW (see below)
- Can you interrupt this behaviour by either holding VOL up or VOL down? If you can interrupt it, does it keep doing it or would your interference stop the SAVing for a while?
- State of phone. Was the phone in use or did that happen with display off (if you come back after a while and the Volume is lower?
- If it did, go to the settings and volume - are all volume bars now lower or only one?

So, as far as I heard, it even happened with vanilla handset without apps right?
can you guys execute DDMS (comes with the Android SDK) and check the logs?

i.e. when it happens, you will be able to see the debugger code lines. The code as to WHEN and when it happens would be very important to see whats causing this behavior. Little pic attached for those that want to try

95456087.png

Once you reproduced the issue, copy the relevant lines (you can verbose the log) here?!

Last edited:

seakins

Sep 15, 2010
Kent
The volume ghost happened this morning again when my alarm went off. I was already awake and I heard my alarm go off with just one beep and then silent. When I picked it up I saw the volume was down again and then had a battle with it pressing volume up but the phone was insistent on going down. So it must be all volumes getting turned down and not just ringer volume cause even if phone is on silent, the alarm should still go off as normal. At least it did on my N1.
Moral of the story, don't trust the alarm to wake you up cause it may just turn itself down leaving you sleeping in.

I am hoping its sw related cause I love this phone and don't want to return it!

T

Thyrus

@seakins please have a look at my questions. Also check when it does that are all volume settings down or just the one (alarm in that case)

Duddyroar

Mar 16, 2009
I'm having the same problem. It usually happens when i unlock the phone, but has happened at other points, too.

I really hope this isn't hardware-related.

---------- Post added at 08:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 AM ----------

@seakins please have a look at my questions. Also check when it does that are all volume settings down or just the one (alarm in that case)

In my case, it's just notifications and ringer. Media and alarm volume are unaffected.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    it's Steve Jobs from heaven :p

I'm sure i've had it happen with wifi disabled.

I also noticed that when the volume rocker goes haywire, the power/lock key also becomes unresponsive.

---------- Post added at 01:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 PM ----------

I've turned wifi off now, will report back if the bug happens again.

Anyone know if this has been reported to Google as an official fault yet?
    More video evidence, note how the volume goes mad even after I lift my thumb away

Alright, this seriously looks like a hardware issue. There's just no way around it. Software bugs rarely work that way.

except that the phone doesn't do this when in bootloader or recovery mode.