VOOC Rapid Charger confirmed working!!!

graffixnyc

Retired Forum Moderator / Inactive Recognized Deve
Jan 21, 2011
New York City
www.graffixnyc.com
I plugged my OPO into my Find 7a VOOC charger at 1:04AM and I was at 8%, at 1:24 I was up to 29% now at 1:32 I'm at 36% so it is charging at 1% a minute :) And just so you guys know the quick charge will charge quick until the phone gets to a certain temp and then charges at normal rate. I guess this is to prevent heat damage

LiquidSolstice

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 17, 2008
I think that's what the temp check is for.. when it warms up to a certain temp it charges at a normal rate I believe to prevent damage
I wonder then, if, in theory, cooling the device with some sort of water-proof ice-pack might mean you could quick-charge it all the way.

So the VOOC charger has a standard MicroUSB port? I wonder if maybe you can grab an app or a widget to tell us what its actual power output is? I use a 2A charger with my N5 and it charges pretty damn fast. Not 75% in 30 minutes as the VOOC charger claims to charge, but pretty quick nonetheless.

extrem0

Feb 7, 2012
I believe that the Oppo charger puts out 4.1A. I don't remember exactly though. :confused:
Actually it's 4.5A, but based on OP info (1%/min charge rate) I think Opo is limited to something about 2A/hour. Probably a 2A charger will charge at the same rate as Find 7 charger (4.5A).
My S4 can fast charge up to 1.9A/hour. So in an hour and half I have full battery.

I wonder then, if, in theory, cooling the device with some sort of water-proof ice-pack might mean you could quick-charge it all the way.

So the VOOC charger has a standard MicroUSB port? I wonder if maybe you can grab an app or a widget to tell us what its actual power output is? I use a 2A charger with my N5 and it charges pretty damn fast. Not 75% in 30 minutes as the VOOC charger claims to charge, but pretty quick nonetheless.
It has 7 pins, not 5 as standard micro USB.

Last edited:

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY

It's not standard.

As stated by another poster, 2 extra pins (probably to deal with current limits) and also uses two pins (probably D+ and D-) to communicate between charger and phone. (This is very different from normal chargers, which just short D+ and D- together)

That said... IIRC the VOOC charging is supposed to be faster than what graffixnyc indicated. It may be only going at 2A in the OPO. I need to look through the kernel dmesg of my f7a to see if there are any "telltale" signs of VOOC being used in a dmesg.

Reactions: gnan10 and Mr Woolf

OhToSee

Aug 18, 2011
You could install something like Battery Monitor Widget and see how many amps it's pulling.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Expliciate

Dec 8, 2011
Toronto
It's confirmed to be working, but I doubt it's working with Opo the way it works with Find 7a.
I bet your Note 3 charger charges OPO at the same rate/time that Find 7a charger does.
The Find 7a charger utilizes 7 pins vs the 5 pin standard for the micro USB.
This was found to exist in both the Find 7a and OPO (Reviewed Samples).

Though Carl stated on reddit that the production model will not have the special "7 pins", the sampled OPO devices did and was shown in a teardown.

So for one, the Note 3 charger is distinctly different than the Find 7a charger.
And two, though the sample OPO devices may have 7 pins, the production models may not.

Just hoping that the production models have 7 pins to utilize the rapid charge feature.

EDIT:
Actually it's 4.5A, but based on OP info (1%/min charge rate) I think Opo is limited to something about 2A/hour. Probably a 2A charger will charge at the same rate as Find 7 charger (4.5A).
My S4 can fast charge up to 1.9A/hour. So in an hour and half I have full battery.

It has 7 pins, not 5 as standard micro USB.
You've also stated that it has 7 pins previously, not sure how you concluded that the Note 3 charger is identical to the Find 7a's

Last edited:

graffixnyc

Retired Forum Moderator / Inactive Recognized Deve
Jan 21, 2011
New York City
www.graffixnyc.com
It's not standard.

As stated by another poster, 2 extra pins (probably to deal with current limits) and also uses two pins (probably D+ and D-) to communicate between charger and phone. (This is very different from normal chargers, which just short D+ and D- together)

That said... IIRC the VOOC charging is supposed to be faster than what graffixnyc indicated. It may be only going at 2A in the OPO. I need to look through the kernel dmesg of my f7a to see if there are any "telltale" signs of VOOC being used in a dmesg.
The USB ports on both devices look exactly the same.. there is a post on the OPO forums where a guy confirms (from a teardown) the OPO has the extra pins. However, I do notice obviously that it's not charging at the rate it charges the 7a but it's charging quicker with the VOOC charger than it charges my m8. @Entropy512 is it possible that there is also something in the software that fully enables VOOC charging?

extrem0

Feb 7, 2012
The Find 7a charger utilizes 7 pins vs the 5 pin standard for the micro USB.
This was found to exist in both the Find 7a and OPO (Reviewed Samples).

Though Carl stated on reddit that the production model will not have the special "7 pins", the sampled OPO devices did and was shown in a teardown.

So for one, the Note 3 charger is distinctly different than the Find 7a charger.
And two, though the sample OPO devices may have 7 pins, the production models may not.

Just hoping that the production models have 7 pins to utilize the rapid charge feature.

EDIT:

You've also stated that it has 7 pins previously, not sure how you concluded that the Note 3 charger is identical to the Find 7a's
You're right, I just saw some pictures of teardown and it has 7 pins indeed. But based on OP charging rate (1%/min), I concluded it isn't working like VOOC, which charges 75% in 30 mins (2.50%/min).
Oppo Find 7/a manual says that the charger can be used in other devices and it will be limited to 2A unless it has a VOOC chip if I remember correctly. So, this is why I think your Note 3 charger (2A) is equal to Oppo 7/a charger (4.5A with VOOC support and 2A for others) when used in Opo.
Besides, Oneplus didn't make any advertising expliciting VOOC support to Opo. I think it's a very rare feature in mobile world to be hidden.

The USB ports on both devices look exactly the same.. there is a post on the OPO forums where a guy confirms (from a teardown) the OPO has the extra pins. However, I do notice obviously that it's not charging at the rate it charges the 7a but it's charging quicker with the VOOC charger than it charges my m8. @Entropy512 is it possible that there is also something in the software that fully enables VOOC charging?
I think Opo has fast charging on by default. M8 might charges at about 1500mah while Opo charges at 1900mah (I'm just supposing).
Try to enable fast charge to your m8. I believe it will charge as fast as your Opo.

Last edited:

liuxinyu12322

Mar 22, 2014
Don't think so, but why would you want to buy it if not to use with Find 7?
It's a 2A charger for other devices.
no,JUST USE IN FIND7 .BECAUSE FIND7‘s battery has eight metal contacts

---------- Post added at 11:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 PM ----------

no,JUST USE IN FIND7 .BECAUSE FIND7‘s battery has eight metal contacts
you can browse it

www。citnews。com。cn/selected/201403/212086.html

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
There are some software changes, and in fact Oppo tweaked some of those settings on the F7a: https://github.com/oppo-source/Find...728e48ea4f50baaf1fd9e51cc7ae59d362788e#diff-5

hey... wait a second...

Those changes aren't for the F7a at all! The OnePlus Edition is the one with a PIC1508, and in the file with the compiled firmware - that's the Find7 OnePlus Edition section of the file!

It looks like in the original PIC firmware, the current setting was reduced for the Find7OP and they increased it for the OP with that patch - which might not be in the current CM11s build.

I'd do:
A/B comparison of the VOOC charger with a standard 2A MicroUSB charger

I might be able to get you a mostly-working Omni build later this week since the devices are so similar to play with, that will include the above Oppo tweak to the Find7OP

Reactions: Wisiwyg