VPN + Hotspot = AWESOME!

Search This thread

edw00rd

Apr 16, 2010
Ok so a while back I discovered that after you gain root access to the BIONIC (probably works with other too. idk...) you can make changes to iptables. For those who don't know what that is: It's a built in firewall that handles packets as they come in and leave your phone. This is pretty much the defacto standard for any Linux machine to date (please enlighten me if I'm wrong). Anyhow, after discovering this I came up with an idea to see if I could pipe my hotspot directly into my openvpn tunnel. Well, after a bit of web research on how iptables works I was able to get it up and running. HOWEVER I'm not an expert at this yet, and my config definitely has a flaw in the fact that I leave the phone completely vulnerable on the "rmnetX" interface, as I completely flush the old tables to add mine, leavign the firewall WIDE OPEN. I'll post a fix as soon as I can come up with one. In the mean time here's the steps to take to get your phone to be a hotspot access point to your openvpn network!

**PHONE MUST HAVE ROOT!!!!***

1) Follow along and setup an OpenVPN server http://openvpn.net/howto.html
2) Install "OpenVPN Installer" and "OpenVPN settings" from Google Play marketplace (both are free)
3) Run OpenVPN Installer and install OpenVPN client to your phone. The defaults should be fine.
4) Create a folder called "openvpn" ont he root of your INTERNAL sdcard. IE "/sdcard/openvpn
5) Copy your client keys that you made during your OpenVPN setup to your phone into the /sdcard/openvpn directory (client.crt, client.key, ca.crt, and ta.key)
6) Copy over the client.conf file as well. You will need to tweek this a bit to call your certs from the /sdcard/openvpn file as well as putting in the public IP to connect to. Keep in mind if you are doing this at home you will need to PAT/NAT this connection accross your firewall on udp port 1194.
7)Ok, at this point you just want to make sure your OpenVPN connection works. So open up OpenVPN settings and try and connect to your VPN, if you can connect and brows to shares inside your network over the 4g connection EXCELENT! MOVE ON! If not refer to the OpenVPN HOW TO!!!
8) After that's done you neet to get the Verizon HotSpot Tether working, There's a hack for it on the web. Google "BIONIC Hotspot SQLite Editor"... in the mean time I'll try and walk you through it.

a) get SQLite Editor from Google Play
b) open it and scroll down to "Settings Storage" (the one with the hammer icon), open "settings.db", then click settings. You should see a long list of database entries. Click the magnifying glass and under "Filter Value" type "check".
c) you should then see 4 results, one being "entitlement_check". Long press on the "1" next to "entitlement_check". Click "Edit Field" and change the "1" to a "0".
d) Reboot and try running the stock "Hotspot" app, it should work now!
9) Run the Hotspot app and confirm it works properly and can connect clients.
10) After you have a working Hotspot and a work OpenVPN you can then start the iptables magic!!!

**This is fairly safe, no need to worry about bricking just reboot if you screw up!***

11) Download and install "Android Terminal Emulator" and run it.
12) at the prompt type in "su" to gain super user access
13) you should now be at a root shell ("#") NOT $
14) at the prompt(#) type this: iptables -S <-This shows you the entire iptables rules, as you can see it's crazy complicated!
15) Run OpenVPN and Hotspot and confirm both are connected and runnign before issuing rule changes in iptables. So run both applications now.
16) Confirm VPN is connected and Hotspot is runnign by issuing the command "busybox ifconfig". If your VPN is up you will have a "tun0" interface and if the Hotspot is up there should be a "wlan1" interface.
17) If both are up then all you need to do in order to give hotspot clients access to your VPN resources is this:

iptables -F
iptables -X
iptables -t nat -F
iptables -t nat -X
iptables -t mangle -F
iptables -t mangle -X
iptables -P INPUT ACCEPT
iptables -P FORWARD ACCEPT
iptables -P OUTPUT ACCEPT
iptables -A FORWARD -i tun0 -o wlan1 -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
iptables -A FORWARD -i wlan1 -o tun0 -m state --state INVALID -j DROP
iptables -A FORWARD -i wlan1 -o tun0 -j ACCEPT

The first 10 commands flush your old iptables, and the last 3 commands masqarade your wlan1 interface to your tun0 interface, funneling your clients down the VPN. Keep in mind that you will have to allow this via your openvpn server.conf file. See HOWTO For OpenVPN.

Enjoy!!!

DroidisLINUX

May 28, 2013
I am confused and would like to know why we want net on VPN if we have WiFi hack for a router

Could Could we link a com port on bochs emulated windows xp?

With the WiFi hack edit or tether for root user you can use this IP addr add like below to add router capabilities, or change wlan0 to your phone's 4g rmnet or tun0 to add router to any connection, can you tell us what we would use VPN for give an example

su
ip addr add 192.168.1.0/24 dev wlan0

http://www.filedropper.com/comgooglecodeandroidwifitether-1

I use this apk to wifi tether, same as wifi router, will probably need root to use it I am not sure, but you dont need to type: ip addr add 192168.1.0/24 dev wlan0, I do just because it helps make good connections for most wifi devices

This will make your WiFi capable of being used as a router, you still need root WiFi tether or the hotspot hack like you posted but this makes wlan0 a router

Last edited:

edw00rd

Apr 16, 2010
I mainly use this to share files that I have on my NAS at home with friends at work. First I create a hot spot, then I connect my VPN, then I masquerade the traffic. On the server side my openvpn configuration is set up so that it trusts a specific subnet coming from behind the openvpn host (IE my phone's hotspot subnet) This provides a nice and easy means of giving friends controlled access via your mobile hotspot without needing to generate RSA keys for each of your friends. Another thing I like to use it for is when I travel I just set it up in the corner and watch movies from home on my laptop over the VPN through the hotspot.

-Ed

I am confused and would like to know why we want net on VPN if we have WiFi hack for a router

Could Could we link a com port on bochs emulated windows xp?

With the WiFi hack edit or tether for root user you can use this IP addr add like below to add router capabilities, or change wlan0 to your phone's 4g rmnet or tun0 to add router to any connection, can you tell us what we would use VPN for give an example

su
ip addr add 192.168.1.0/24 dev wlan0

http://www.filedropper.com/comgooglecodeandroidwifitether-1

I use this apk to wifi tether, same as wifi router, will probably need root to use it I am not sure, but you dont need to type: ip addr add 192168.1.0/24 dev wlan0, I do just because it helps make good connections for most wifi devices

This will make your WiFi capable of being used as a router, you still need root WiFi tether or the hotspot hack like you posted but this makes wlan0 a router

TweakerL

Oct 6, 2010
Rosedale, MD
I mainly use this to share files that I have on my NAS at home with friends at work. First I create a hot spot, then I connect my VPN, then I masquerade the traffic. On the server side my openvpn configuration is set up so that it trusts a specific subnet coming from behind the openvpn host (IE my phone's hotspot subnet) This provides a nice and easy means of giving friends controlled access via your mobile hotspot without needing to generate RSA keys for each of your friends. Another thing I like to use it for is when I travel I just set it up in the corner and watch movies from home on my laptop over the VPN through the hotspot.

-Ed

Or you could get Qloud Media Server, and be able to assign access to different sets of folders in your home network using username/passwords. And it costs $3.00 or $0.00 if you have a getjar pass.

jamRwoo

Aug 22, 2011
Greenville, SC
This is a really cool idea, thanks for sharing.

On a somewhat unrelated note, is the VirtualBox method still the preferred means of rooting a Bionic on 4.1.2 (98.72.22)? Trying to figure out how easily I can root a friend's phone but I can't really find any consolidated source of up-to-date information. =\

edw00rd

Apr 16, 2010
TweakerL said:
Or you could get Qloud Media Server, and be able to assign access to different sets of folders in your home network using username/passwords. And it costs $3.00 or $0.00 if you have a getjar pass.

I think you might be confusing folder access/authentication with network access/authentication. The VPN would give you access to your network remotely via 4g/3g and yes i suppose you could use the Qloud Media Server to provide access to folders. I'm not really sure what that is, never used it but it sounds like something that provides a service via 3rd party to get access to you remotely. The third party is avoided all together witht he VPN solution. You don't have to give any sort of ingress access to any third party app. You're phone will think it's part of your home network. Also someone asked about having network bridged when you have a wifi hack... it would be purely up to you weather or not you'd want your HTTP traffic to go through the VPN or not... that's different than what I'm providing here. This is strictly for using your phone as a WiFi hotspot router that forwards all of your traffic to your VPN connection (IE your house) so that connected wifi clients would be accessable via your home network and visa versa. You could also just make a VPN hotspot and generate RSA keys for each host connecting to the hotspot.... your choice. Mine works better in a way that I maintain constant view over every device including the phone that is acting as the VPN mifi hotspot.:silly:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok so a while back I discovered that after you gain root access to the BIONIC (probably works with other too. idk...) you can make changes to iptables. For those who don't know what that is: It's a built in firewall that handles packets as they come in and leave your phone. This is pretty much the defacto standard for any Linux machine to date (please enlighten me if I'm wrong). Anyhow, after discovering this I came up with an idea to see if I could pipe my hotspot directly into my openvpn tunnel. Well, after a bit of web research on how iptables works I was able to get it up and running. HOWEVER I'm not an expert at this yet, and my config definitely has a flaw in the fact that I leave the phone completely vulnerable on the "rmnetX" interface, as I completely flush the old tables to add mine, leavign the firewall WIDE OPEN. I'll post a fix as soon as I can come up with one. In the mean time here's the steps to take to get your phone to be a hotspot access point to your openvpn network!

**PHONE MUST HAVE ROOT!!!!***

1) Follow along and setup an OpenVPN server http://openvpn.net/howto.html
    2) Install "OpenVPN Installer" and "OpenVPN settings" from Google Play marketplace (both are free)
    3) Run OpenVPN Installer and install OpenVPN client to your phone. The defaults should be fine.
    4) Create a folder called "openvpn" ont he root of your INTERNAL sdcard. IE "/sdcard/openvpn
    5) Copy your client keys that you made during your OpenVPN setup to your phone into the /sdcard/openvpn directory (client.crt, client.key, ca.crt, and ta.key)
    6) Copy over the client.conf file as well. You will need to tweek this a bit to call your certs from the /sdcard/openvpn file as well as putting in the public IP to connect to. Keep in mind if you are doing this at home you will need to PAT/NAT this connection accross your firewall on udp port 1194.
    7)Ok, at this point you just want to make sure your OpenVPN connection works. So open up OpenVPN settings and try and connect to your VPN, if you can connect and brows to shares inside your network over the 4g connection EXCELENT! MOVE ON! If not refer to the OpenVPN HOW TO!!!
    8) After that's done you neet to get the Verizon HotSpot Tether working, There's a hack for it on the web. Google "BIONIC Hotspot SQLite Editor"... in the mean time I'll try and walk you through it.

a) get SQLite Editor from Google Play
    b) open it and scroll down to "Settings Storage" (the one with the hammer icon), open "settings.db", then click settings. You should see a long list of database entries. Click the magnifying glass and under "Filter Value" type "check".
    c) you should then see 4 results, one being "entitlement_check". Long press on the "1" next to "entitlement_check". Click "Edit Field" and change the "1" to a "0".
    d) Reboot and try running the stock "Hotspot" app, it should work now!
    9) Run the Hotspot app and confirm it works properly and can connect clients.
    10) After you have a working Hotspot and a work OpenVPN you can then start the iptables magic!!!

**This is fairly safe, no need to worry about bricking just reboot if you screw up!***

11) Download and install "Android Terminal Emulator" and run it.
    12) at the prompt type in "su" to gain super user access
    13) you should now be at a root shell ("#") NOT $
    14) at the prompt(#) type this: iptables -S <-This shows you the entire iptables rules, as you can see it's crazy complicated!
    15) Run OpenVPN and Hotspot and confirm both are connected and runnign before issuing rule changes in iptables. So run both applications now.
    16) Confirm VPN is connected and Hotspot is runnign by issuing the command "busybox ifconfig". If your VPN is up you will have a "tun0" interface and if the Hotspot is up there should be a "wlan1" interface.
    17) If both are up then all you need to do in order to give hotspot clients access to your VPN resources is this:

iptables -F
    iptables -X
    iptables -t nat -F
    iptables -t nat -X
    iptables -t mangle -F
    iptables -t mangle -X
    iptables -P INPUT ACCEPT
    iptables -P FORWARD ACCEPT
    iptables -P OUTPUT ACCEPT
    iptables -A FORWARD -i tun0 -o wlan1 -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
    iptables -A FORWARD -i wlan1 -o tun0 -m state --state INVALID -j DROP
    iptables -A FORWARD -i wlan1 -o tun0 -j ACCEPT

The first 10 commands flush your old iptables, and the last 3 commands masqarade your wlan1 interface to your tun0 interface, funneling your clients down the VPN. Keep in mind that you will have to allow this via your openvpn server.conf file. See HOWTO For OpenVPN.

Enjoy!!!