• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

VPN keeps turning off

Search This thread

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210913-144231_Device care.jpg
    Screenshot_20210913-144231_Device care.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20210913-144326_Device care.jpg
    Screenshot_20210913-144326_Device care.jpg
    416.9 KB · Views: 6

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Developer options>standby apps, all buckets should show as active otherwise power management is active.

When it happens check running apps and cache apps to see it you can spot what's doing it.
    With Samsung's old version of Device Care I was able to find a corrupted Android Setup like this. Saved me a factory reset.
    Developer options running services/cache apps is less helpful though than the former but may work.
    I checked the Developer options> standby apps, my VPN app is set as "frequent", should I change it to "active"? Thanks.

Seems like some apps can be set to "Exempted", but that's not an option for my VPN app. My phone is fully rooted, is there anything I can edit to force it to be "Exempted"? Even WeChat was set to "Exempted", that's definitely not a system app.
    I don't have the "exempted" option on my stock Note 10+. Not sure.
    However the fact that you can set the bucket states in standby apps means the power management is active.
    It causes nothing but trouble.

I stopped using it over a year ago and dealt with problem apps directly. Power management was contributing to excessive battery consumption as well as causing erratic behaviors.
    Forget all those elegant techno explanations of how the bucket states blah, blah, blah... it screws the phone up proper🤣
    Android does quit well without it... just more useless bloatware.
    Not surprising... Google will ruin anything if they screw with it long enough.
    It's their nature🤣
    So I set the Battery Optimization to "Don't Optimize", my VPN app is now "Exempted" in standby apps. But it still got killed by the phone. The ROM definitely have some kind of anti-VPN code.
    So I set the Battery Optimization to "Don't Optimize", my VPN app is now "Exempted" in standby apps. But it still got killed by the phone. The ROM definitely have some kind of anti-VPN code.
    You need to disable all power management.
    That's the problem, I can guarantee you.
    When it's fully disabled all buckets will show as active and you won't be able to reset their states.
    If you* reset a bucket state then navigate out of Developer options then reenter Standby app again the reset bucket will show as active ie it was unsuccessful.

The reason you can alter the bucket states is a software power management apk is running in the background. Find it and disable it.
    It's probably the phone manufacturer apk but it could well be a Google apk (Samsung, in my case, likes to supercede Android/Google apks with their own).

Lol, I played with this a lot about a year ago...
    The fact that I remember it so well tells you how much time it wasted and the aggravation it caused🤣 It's junk.
    Just for giggles the worst power hog on my phone is Google Play Services. Disabling it solved many issues; I enabled as needed for Gmail, Gmaps and Playstore.

*edit, sorry for the missing "you".
    ZTE (another Chinese device) also does the same. It's frustrating as hell. My subscription to Adguard and VPNs suffer the same fate where it turns off.

I know China dislikes VPNs, but this is nuts.