VS986 13B >>ROOTED<< >>DEBLOATED<< System Image & KDZ DOWNLOAD

Search This thread

joeyz400

Mar 27, 2012
New York
I tried and it keeps saying device disconnected and can only get to 60% on analyzing phone settings. I get this when I run the ports bat
C:\Users\Bill Laptop\Desktop\G4 Root\LG Root zip>reg query HKLM\hardware\devicem
ap\SERIALCOMM

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\hardware\devicemap\SERIALCOMM
\Device\QCUSB_COM8_1 REG_SZ COM8

C:\Users\Bill Laptop\Desktop\G4 Root\LG Root zip>pause
Press any key to continue . . .

dcorrea

Dec 20, 2007
so... being on linux mint, ive probably got problems...

and the guide linked doesn't list anything but the terminal entries to follow... at least in the post linked...

Well DD commands are actually native Linux commands used to copy and convert files. Unfortunately, the send-command program that was written to allow us to write to the system partition was written with Windows but you may be able to use Wine in order to emulate the Windows environment on Linux MInt and run the send command. I just opened the port.bat file on my LInux Mint install under wine and it was recognized and awaiting a connection. To run the Send_Command.exe you need to type "wine cmd" into you Linux terminal. That will emulate the Windows CMD environment and allow you to run the send_command properly. Once you get that setup, you can also setup how to successfully get Linux MInt to properly recognize your device as an MTP connection and allow you to copy files from the sd card to your desktop. Basically, if you try to copy certain files from your SD card right now and you get an error about unsupported file types, let me know and I will send you the directions to modify your UDEV settings to get the phone properly recognized.

Reactions: divineBliss

divineBliss

Oct 4, 2014
dcorrea,
I'd like to see the Linux UDEV settings you have. If it's not too much, maybe post them here. Do you know if they work for Ubuntu also?

dcorrea

Dec 20, 2007
so... being on linux mint, ive probably got problems...

and the guide linked doesn't list anything but the terminal entries to follow... at least in the post linked...

dcorrea,
I'd like to see the Linux UDEV settings you have. If it's not too much, maybe post them here. Do you know if they work for Ubuntu also?

These instructions are from an Ubuntu help page here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15055304/unable-to-mount-samsung-android-in-ubuntu

Here they are:
Find the vendorid and productid with lsub:
$> lsusb
Bus 001 Device 013: ID 0bb4:0c02 HTC (High Tech Computer Corp.) Dream / ADP1 / G1 / Magic / Tattoo (Debug)
the "0bb4" is the vendor-id, the "0c02"is the productid

open the file "/lib/udev/rules.d/69-libmtp.rules" for edit:

$> gksudo gedit /lib/udev/rules.d/69-libmtp.rules
Insert the new device, by duplicating a previous one and correcting the id's and save the file:

# Wiko DARKMOON
ATTR{idVendor}=="0bb4", ATTR{idProduct}=="0c02", SYMLINK+="libmtp-%k", MODE="660", GROUP="audio", ENV{ID_MTP_DEVICE}="1", ENV{ID_MEDIA_PLAYER}="1"
Unplug your smartphone and replug it. Your Linux should mount your device like it would do for other one.

Since the # is used to annototate comments, I changed Wiko DARKMOON on my duplicated entry to #LG_G4 so that I know what it is in the future. Hope this helps.

Reactions: divineBliss

rustypie

Aug 2, 2014
Joplin
Did you ever get to the upgrade assistant? I pulled the auto run ISO from my G4 and put it here: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24269982087010720 You should be able to just mount the ISO into a virtual drive on your computer and it will be just like you plugged your phone in......

Ah, if only I could access the Verizon Software Upgrade Assistant I'd be in business. When I connect to the PC, there is no AutoPlay popup, and Windows Explorer doesn't show "CD Drive E: Verizon Mobile," but instead just "VS986." Found a possible solution here http://forum.xda-developers.com/ver...tware-upgrade-assistant-t3256779#post64135398 but haven't heard back yet.

rustypie

Aug 2, 2014
Joplin
I personally use Alcohol 120% but any virtual drive software for windows works. I tried it just now on my computer. It didn't pop up automatically when I mounted the image but when I browsed to the virtual drive in Windows explorer, the installer for upgrade assistant as well as all the other files were there.

Wow, thanks! I'll try to figure out how to do that.

May 14, 2014
I personally use Alcohol 120% but any virtual drive software for windows works. I tried it just now on my computer. It didn't pop up automatically when I mounted the image but when I browsed to the virtual drive in Windows explorer, the installer for upgrade assistant as well as all the other files were there.

VirtualCloneDrive is installing as we speak...

tylerw1369

Jul 31, 2012
I think I messed up real bad.... I was rooted 11a and restored with the kdz then took the ota and rerooted. Some of my apps didn't work the same so I decided to go back and kdz back to 11a..... Now I have a brick. When I plug it in the charge light doesn'tevwn go on and I can't get into download mode. Did I mess up by trying to downgrade back to 11a?
Not to sound like as ass or anything but yes you bricked your phone and unless you can warrantee it it is a paper weight. It has been said many times on here that you can't kdz back to a lower image or you will brick you device. From all that autoprime has said there is nothing you can do to fix it.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

joeyz400

Mar 27, 2012
New York
Not even Jtag?

---------- Post added at 12:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 PM ----------

My rooted 11a was running perfect except the touch screen missed some input so I figured I would go to 13b.... then some of my apps didn't work as well and I lost the editing software in my gallery so I figured I would just go back to 11a and reroot.... :(

Huckster_McPlush

Dec 4, 2015
Well I really didn't have a list. I pretty much just went through and deleted all 3rd party apps, Verizon apps, and a couple google apps. 3rd party apps like ThinkFree Viewer, NFL Mobile, DTIgnite, etc... pretty much all Verizon apps like location and login agent, VZ Navigator, Caller Name ID (it doesn't work with advanced calling anyways) My Verizon, (to hell with big red seeing that my device is rooted).

Should I be able to utilize the advanced calling feature with this rooted image? I would really like for my 4g data to remain active while using my mobile hotspot if I receive a phone call. Thanks so much for your help.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    VS986 13B >>ROOTED<< >>DEBLOATED<< System Image & KDZ DOWNLOAD

EDIT:Thank you everyone for your support in this thread and to those that donated. This thread actually got me the first donations I've ever received just for tinkering around with phone operating systems; super cool. However, I will no longer be actively taking feature requests or looking for/fixing bugs as I have succumbed to the allure of the V10 and have retired my beloved G4 in less than a year of ownership. I must say the V10 is a gorgeous phone and I absolutely love it. I will continue to frequent this thread and answer any questions and offer any help that I can give to help anyone who may need it. My G4 is now on eBay (until Sunday) so if anyone is interested in a MINT condition Verizon G4 with a LOT of extras, PM me and I will give you the link listing as I believe posting it on here violates xda policy. Now time to explore the V10 forums. :) Cheers all!

Fellow Big Red G4 owners,

I am providing for everyone a ROOTED BEBLOATED 13B system image for the Verizon G4. I was on 12A rooted and the OTA to 13B failed so I flashed the stock 12A image that I had laying around, took the OTA successfully, pulled a stock 13B image, used the root injection method found in these forums and flashed back. I can confirm this works!! I'm running it on my phone right now. This system image is also slightly debloated. No, I don't have some fancy program that can open the system image files and pick and choose what I want to delete. All I did was boot my phone on the rooted 13B system and use root explorer and root uninstaller to remove a bunch of stuff that wasn't needed. I made a few other changes as well. Once I was satisfied with my debloating I extracted the system image again and am sharing it with you all! Below is a list of the changes I made as well as the download link. WARNING!!!!!!!! I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING YOU DO WITH YOUR PHONE!! I ASSUME YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING IF YOU PROCEED!!!!!!

EDIT 1: I put the img file in a highly compressed rar and 7z archive so the you now only have to download a 1.74 GB file instead of a 4GB+ file.

EDIT 2!! It looks like the official 13B KDZ is FINALLY here thanks to @autoprime !!! Get it HERE.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The super user binaries are updated. (meaning you wont get prompted to update them on first boot.)

BusyBox has been pre-installed.

AdAway Host file baked in.

Google Chrome browser has been removed and has been replaced with the stock LG Browser!!

The following system apps have been replaced with those from the new LG V10:

• SmartNotice (The best difference is that it's somewhat transparent so it looks WAY cooler.)
    • Calendar
    • File Manager
    • Gallery
    • Music
    ^^I was able to get odex files for the above V10 system apps so they don't have to be "optimized" on first boot.^^ Even though the Contacts and Home Launcher app are available from the V10, the Contacts app always force closed no matter what I did and the Home Launcher app would randomly pop up with a "Loading Apps..." pop-up box for about a second when you hit the Home button, so I left both those apps out.

All the VZW bloatware apps have been removed, save for visual voicemail, which I like and actually use. In response to a question I received as to why I removed the CallerNameID app, I use Advanced Calling and CallerNameID, as well as a few other Verizon apps, are not compatible with Advanced Calling according to Verizon's web-site. (See attached screenshot.)

The stock, very annoyingly bright red, could-have-been-a-flashlight-app (lol) Verizon boot animation has been deleted and was replaced with a nice, simple and unobtrusive stock android boot animation. White text on black background. Much better.

The DPI has been set to 560 compared to the stock 640. It will go as low as 540 with no FCs but 560 is just about perfect for me. If you don't like this size, use Textdroider app to change the dpi. NOTE: The only stock app I have found that doesn't work with this lower DPI setting is the LG Voice Recorder. It doesn't work on any DPI setting other than 640 (not even 639). However this app is still included in case you wish to revert back to stock 640 DPI and use it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

First boot after a factory reset using this image will be really quick as it will only have to optimize 2 or 3 apps instead of 20+. If you don't like anything, such as the DPI, or visual voicemail, etc, you can change whatever you want since you'll be rooted. This is just how I like my phone.

YOU MUST have already taken the 13B OTA and you will need to be un-rooted to take the OTA. If you are on 11A or 12A rooted, the easiest way to un-root is to use the 13B KDZ to reset your phone to factory un-rooted stock. If you use the KDZ method be sure to backup your personal data as flashing a KDZ will wipe all your data.

You can follow the instructions on how to flash the system image HERE. You will more than likely run into problems if you are on 11A or 12A and try to flash this image without having first updated to 13B using one of the methods listed above (OTA or KDZ), so don't even try. I will not be able to help you get out of that predicament.

You can download the image file HERE!! (RAR Archive format)
    Same image in 7z archive format HERE due to several users have MD5 mismatches with the RAR archive. (Needs free 7-Zip archiver program to unpack.)

The MD5 of this file (the IMG file; not the archive files) as it sits on my desktop is 1eca2a177f50f4a092bc5ef0939a99a7

Another thing to remember. Once you flash this image, there is no going back to the state your phone was in before (stock, un-rooted) unless you have a backup of your current system image. Meaning, even if you do a reset to factory defaults from the stock G4 recovery after you've flashed this system image, the defaults it will go back to are those of this system image.

IMPORTANT!! Resetting to factory defaults using the stock G4 recovery after you have flashed this image will NOT un-root your phone. You will have to flash a KDZ file to get back to stock un-rooted. There are instructions on how to extract your current system image HERE before you flash my image.

CREDITS
    • HUGE thanks, kudos and all credit for the LG Browser goes to @xdabbeb. I was never able to find a new version of the LG Browser that would work on the G4. I asked xdabbeb to see if he could get it working for me and he was gracious enough to do so; thank you!! I became hooked on the LG Browser being a long time fan and user of his ROMs for the Verizon G2.
    • Thanks to @BySezerSimsek for the V10 system apps. His thread with all the apps is HERE.

I do not take credit for any of the methods used in achieving this. All credits for superuser scripts, injection methods, ported V10 apps, etc goes to the appropriate people. You know who you are. I'm not a developer by any means. I'm just a power user who's not afraid to take the plunge and follow instructions from other very respected users who give all of us the tools we need to make our phones what we want them to be. Without these people, we would have very boring phones. lol. This is the least I can do to contribute back to the community who has helped me out in so many ways.

ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I've made up the mirror rooted system.img (as a .rar). Also, I've posted the Stock System.img (no root - full stock) Download links below

This Rooted System.IMG was created by @rustypie. I am just providing a mirror help with the downloads. Please thank him on for all his work.

Also, since I haven't seen these posted here are the commands for the Verizon LG G4 to make a backup system.img and how to flash the rooted system.img. This way you can make your own backup incase anything goes wrong.

PSA :
    NOTE : you cannot downgrade, If you are on 13B firmware/bootloader you cannot flash the 11A firmware/bootloader. You will hard brick! also, if you flash the 13B system img on 11A firmware it will not boot and vice versa, if you flash the 11A system.img on 13B firmware it won't boot either. You have been warned and advised. If you continue you and you alone accept all risks, failures, hard bricks, soft bricks, bootloops and/or SD card meltdowns.

Backup system.img command
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0 bs=8192 seek=65536 count=548352 of=/data/media/0/system.img

Flash the rooted system.img command (change rootedsystem.img to system.img if you need to flash back to stock)
    Code:
    dd if=/data/media/0/rootedsystem.img bs=8192 seek=65536 count=548352 of=/dev/block/mmcblk0

DOWNLOADS and MD5 SUMs

ROOTED 13B SYSTEM IMG : https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24269982087006429

MD5 SUM or rooted IMG.RAR file : 69933d0f296231112ccb977cd0600051
    MD5 SUM of rooted IMG : 4c348b4bf5b2233e6addbec71f7873ff

STOCK 13B SYSTEM IMG : https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24269982087006477

MD5 SUM Stock.IMG.RAR : 28772ac501c42df591465e247262ea43
    MD5 SUM of Stock IMG : 158a9643888a3cebfd766884bb8c5ed5
    Well I really didn't have a list. I pretty much just went through and deleted all 3rd party apps, Verizon apps, and a couple google apps. 3rd party apps like ThinkFree Viewer, NFL Mobile, DTIgnite, etc... pretty much all Verizon apps like location and login agent, VZ Navigator, Caller Name ID (it doesn't work with advanced calling anyways) My Verizon, (to hell with big red seeing that my device is rooted) and a few google apps like play books, movies, music, games, google talk back, google tags, etc... Everything I removed were apps that could be uninstalled or disabled through application manager. I disabled them to make them disappear out of the app drawer then used root explorer to delete the corresponding apks and their folders. I don't have the know how or expertise to go in and remove hidden services and background apps like other developers. I looked at it like this; if it was a 3rd party or Verizon app, gone. However core google apps like play services were left intact.

I've further trimmed my system image but I haven't uploaded it or anything. I'm just running it on my phone right now. I removed apps like google drive, hangouts, youtube; google apps that were "system" apps that you cant uninstall. My thoughts were if I can get them from the play store, I don't want them to be system apps. If I want to uninstall them, then I should be able to. The only google app I left as a system app was Chrome.

I've also integrated more of the system apps from the V10: File Manager, Music, Calendar and Gallery. I got them from http://forum.xda-developers.com/g4/themes-apps/lg-v10-ported-app-g4-t3226997 so credit goes to that OP. I just moved them to my system partition so when I reset to factory or flash my system image on another G4, it will already have those V10 apps built in. If anyone is interested I can upload that.

This!
    Rusty, I did my own root injection but I would love to see what apps you removed as part of your debloat. I read through the safe-to-bloat/remove thread, but then I saw the last post where someone's 13B phone wont boot anymore, so now I'm a little nervous about freezing items from that list. Since you successfully debloated yours, I would like to copy your list.

Thanks.
    I going to reupload my rooted image with the stock LG browser pre-installed instead of chrome for whoever is interested.
    On post #159 he said he was going to reupload the image with the LG stock browser instead of chrome. I wonder if there's a way to add the LG browser or we need to reflash the image

Sent from my VS986 using XDA Free mobile app

rustypie asked me to put together the stock browser for him. There are two options:

Install as a user app:

1. remove /system/app/BrowserProviderProxy/
    2. reboot
    3. sideload THIS
    Install as odexed system app:

1. remove /system/app/BrowserProviderProxy/
    2. mount system r/w
    3. unzip contents of THIS to /system/priv-app/ and verify permissions
    4. reboot
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone