[VULNERABILITY] Remote wipe via iframe USSD trigger

Search This thread

jawil

Oct 1, 2007
This works on my Galaxy S2 4.0.4. It displays the IMEI on stock, dolhpin and chrome-browser. Can't get it to work on S3 though with stock browser at least.

DylanReeve

Oct 22, 2011
The problem - and a solution

The issue has nothing to do with the browser. I've tested on ICS with Chrome, default browser and Dolphin - all behave the same way.

Test here: dylanreeve DOT com/phone.php (uses IMEI display USSD - it's totally safe).

The issue is with the stock dialer. If you can prevent that dialer from handling the tel: URL then you can either prevent or at least intervene in attack attempts. So the solution is... Install another dialer (probably any other dialer).

dylanreeve.posterous DOT com/remote-ussd-attack

(I can't post URLs yet)

Lennyuk

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 26, 2010
Suffolk, England
Looks like other phones including HTC might be vulnerable too, they have a dialer code for a factory format that is similar to the samsung wipe one.

devadatta

Dec 15, 2010
I wonder, even if it opens the dialer, should we be worried.
What if it is dialed automatically and and shown a bit later.
The dialer display lag is something playing up.
JB 4.1.1

killsforpie

Oct 2, 2010
So, from what I can tell, this *only* affects certain "TouchWiz" devices.

On standard Android, it will lauch the dialler - but the user has to hit the dial key for anything to happen.

And, depending on their device, hitting dial will try to send the code as a USSD rather than processing it internally.

Until Samsung issue an update there's little you can do other than replace the TouchWiz dialler.

I can verify that my dialer was launched with the code in it (*#06#) from FF and Chrome on my HTC Rezound (4.0.3 latest update from Verizon) but it was not auto dialed.

I tried with the HTC code "*#*#4636#*#*" (this used to bring up a hidden radio selection menu) and I was taken to the dialer but the code was not there (FF/Chrome), which is what happens now in ICS when I try the code (making me think it may have been executed).

DylanReeve

Oct 22, 2011
I wonder, even if it opens the dialer, should we be worried.
What if it is dialed automatically and and shown a bit later.
The dialer display lag is something playing up.
JB 4.1.1

Some other phones (including Windows Phone) will open the dialer, but don't handle the number as if you'd keyed it in. In the case of Samsung's dialer it treats the linked number exactly the same as if you'd keyed it in. So for a USSD that means as soon as it see that's last # it executes it.

Putting the tel: URL in the SRC of an iframe will cause the browser to load it, and it will in turn push whatever content is in there directly to the dialer. Any USSD will work.

Reactions: prabhjots

Richies113

Jul 10, 2010
surely it depends if the browser is a system app or not?

If it is a system app chances are it has permissions to dial out, if not, it won't

edit:

If you are on an ics rom please try this from whatever browsers you have installed and let me know which browser, if its a system or data app and what happens.

http://ninpo.qap.la/test/index.html

that link is safe! It triggers a safe ussd code not the wipe one

it is not safe. The link has now been changed to have the wipe code, do not press it unless you are sure

Lennyuk

Jan 26, 2010
Suffolk, England
HTC's dialer acts the same as Samsung's

Not sure on other (stock android is safe I think?, at least it is safer as it has no code to do a full wipe)

toncij

Dec 18, 2010
NO.

Samsung Galaxy S III - ICS 4.0.4

Does NOT work. Any code put it ONLY displays in the dialer, but does NOT dial as it requires pressing the Call key.

Chrome, Firefox, Opera, StockBrowser ("Internet") - neither work. Opera stops even before, requiring a special permission click.

Code in the upper link is: *2767*44927#, not the wipe one.

Last edited:

rp518dan

Dec 30, 2011
Philadelphia
Ben Woods at ZD Net said:

I don't know how to do this but Ben Woods said that turning off the Service Loading feature will prevent the exploit.

Titanium Backup Pro is a welcome app on my phone. I think it's time to make an "update.zip".

toncij

Dec 18, 2010
It seems that there is something different.

My SGS 3 4.0.4 uses this default dialer ("Phone" app):
SSLHTTP dl.dropbox .com/u/2188108/Screenshot_2012-09-25-15-33-29.png

But, someone here posted this article:
dylanreeve.posterous .com/remote-ussd-attack

... where Phone app looks quite a bit differen. Huh?

That may explain why it does not work on my device.

Reactions: donovan2123

Lennyuk

Jan 26, 2010
Suffolk, England
All current S3 firmware should be patched, samsung were informed of this issue some months ago and actively fixed it.

HTC for that matter is still wide open and maybe other companies too.

chrisfu

Aug 30, 2006
Manchester
It seems that there is something different.

My SGS 3 4.0.4 uses this default dialer ("Phone" app):
SSLHTTP dl.dropbox .com/u/2188108/Screenshot_2012-09-25-15-33-29.png

But, someone here posted this article:
dylanreeve.posterous .com/remote-ussd-attack

... where Phone app looks quite a bit differen. Huh?

That may explain why it does not work on my device.

This. The other SGS3 here (4.0.4) using the same dialer as you doesn't fall foul to this attack, by the looks of it.

Titanium Backup has my fixed Phone app at 4.0.4-I9300XXBLG8 on this device.

Lennyuk

Jan 26, 2010
Suffolk, England
Just so we can put this to bed, is anyone brave enough and in a position to root and restore a nandroid if the code works?

If so join IRC on freenode #villainrom and we will give you a link that is meant to wipe

We need to be 100% sure samsung have patched this - I am at work so cannot rebuild my phone if it wipes.

rogierg

Apr 7, 2006
Fraaaaak! This is bad, really bad... I'm on a Samsung Galaxy Advance S.

Stock browser opens the USSD
Dolphin opens the USSD
Firefox opens the USSD

So then I thought: let's change the dialer. Changed the dialer to EX dialer and... same result! But having 2 dialers installed gives the dialer choice menu when opening the page and you have the ability then to back out of the page. Seems like a reasonable work around?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE2: Lennyuk has confirmed that you shouldn't be affected by this so long as you're using the latest S3 rom.

Ok so confirmed, if you are on the latest S3 rom (and maybe other samsung phones) your phone should no longer auto-launch the USSD code to do a factory reset.

UPDATE: Here is a video of this vulnerability being performed at Ekoparty 2012 over the weekend: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2-0B04HPhs

I'll keep this quick in order to make sure everyone is aware of this exploit that has been published. I found it here: http://www.exquisitetweets.com/collection/tomscott/1762

Apparently the USSD code to wipe a S3 can be trigged in a browser iframe. Obviously this is bad bad BAD. Until there is a fix for this please keep your wits about you and avoid any hyperlinks to pages from untrusted sources.

Code:
    the USSD code to factory data reset a Galaxy S3 is *2767*3855# can be triggered from browser like this: <frame src="tel:*2767*3855%23" />

MOD EDIT: workaround here
    The problem - and a solution

The issue has nothing to do with the browser. I've tested on ICS with Chrome, default browser and Dolphin - all behave the same way.

Test here: dylanreeve DOT com/phone.php (uses IMEI display USSD - it's totally safe).

The issue is with the stock dialer. If you can prevent that dialer from handling the tel: URL then you can either prevent or at least intervene in attack attempts. So the solution is... Install another dialer (probably any other dialer).

dylanreeve.posterous DOT com/remote-ussd-attack

(I can't post URLs yet)
    Easiest way to save yourself from this attack: set Chrome as your default browser, the TEL uri is not handled by chrome.

Just tested it on a SGS3 and Note... So just use chrome, and you are safe.

We have also contacted Samsung Finland about this.
    I can confirm this works on my G300 phone (and most likely others too) by using <meta http-equiv="REFRESH" content="0;url=tel:*%2306%23"></HEAD> instead.

You can test if your phone is vulnerable here : 198.100.157.97/test.html

edit : can a mod please turn this into a link? since I don't have enough posts to do so. thanks.
    It's looking like this is the case. Do you have a source for that information?

I spoke with the guy who told samsung to patch it, he told them about 3 months ago.

he didn't tell anyone else.