• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

VZW How to use unlocked model on VZW

Search This thread

dottat

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 10, 2011
york, pa
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
So the solution to get an unlocked 10 working on verizon is like this..

Must have already active sim card***
Must be S-OFF**** AND STAY S-OFF while using this radio

Boot to bootloader
- fastboot flash the vzw radio in bootloader mode (download here https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24539885398392983)

fastboot flash radio vzw_pme_radio.img
fastboot reboot

When phone boots go into cellular networks and make sure radio select is global.
Then enter secret menu by opening dialer and dialing *#*#4636#*#*
and chose the option "CDMA/EvDOGSM/WCDMA/LTE Auto"

At this point, you should have data/calls/texts if your sim was already active. If not reboot and re-test. Advanced calling features obviously won't work at the start of this.. but I know for certain can be re-added by our dev community. One verizon dev says he can do this day one. Clock has started homeboy.....

Note this was a collaborative effort here and some very helpful folk whom i have the greatest respect for completed this for the community. @beaups was the first to rock a carbon grey unlocked phone on the verizon network :) and as such deserves the credit for this...

Attachments

• ni.gif
    ni.gif
    8.6 KB · Views: 49,906
  • dg.gif
    dg.gif
    8.4 KB · Views: 49,541
  • tl.gif
    tl.gif
    8 KB · Views: 49,272
  • rs.gif
    rs.gif
    9.4 KB · Views: 49,066
Last edited by a moderator:

awareunlikeu

Jun 9, 2010
Again D and team. thank you! I was losing hope quickly with the unlocked working (probably a bit prematurely I'll admit) but is there a place where I can send a donation when I get payed? Attempting tomorrow with sunshine and then following this guide! Halaleiuja! I think that's how you spell it?

Reactions: azndan2

Vekhez

Sep 7, 2013
Who Cares?
For those of us with both a VZW and an unlocked model, which should we keep?

Sent from my HTC 10

Not a dev, nor do I have a HTC 10, but I would say the unlocked would be a better bet. Support straight from HTC as you bought directly from them, unlocked so it can be used anywhere (don't know if Verizon region locks etc) and more likelihood of custom software.

Reactions: sellabration

Light1984

Apr 3, 2011
@dottat OK so I am coming from a Verizon M7 and the sim card I have is a different size. Am I screwed? Can I do everything else then go in and get a new sim after the fact? I tried yesterday before the solution and they were going to give me the correct sim, but of course couldn't get it to register and wouldn't let me have the sim.

awareunlikeu

Jun 9, 2010
@dottat OK so I am coming from a Verizon M7 and the sim card I have is a different size. Am I screwed? Can I do everything else then go in and get a new sim after the fact? I tried yesterday before the solution and they were going to give me the correct sim, but of course couldn't get it to register and wouldn't let me have the sim.
I would say go into corporate Verizon store, tell them that you were directed by customer service on the phone to get a new nfc-enabled nano SIM in order to activate your htc10. They will just ask for your account info and attach that SIM cards number to your account and tell you that you need to contact customer service over the phone again in order to try activation. Kinda funny as That's what one of the customer service reps told me was the reason the unlocked version's activation was not working on Verizon that I needed a new sim. Just did this 2 days ago

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

faericia

May 10, 2016

Do you have another line on the account with a different phone that does have the correct sim? If so you could get another sim for that phone, and you can activate it yourself. (or if they activate it for you, you can use the old sim for it.) Just needed a device to allow the activation for the new sim.

Last edited:

Light1984

Apr 3, 2011
Hmmm, I'll check when I get home, I have 5 phones, but not sure if they have the smaller sim, 3 of them are basic flip phones for business. Not sure if any of them would be the NFC enabled Sims though, would be best if I could follow the guide then have them try to activate the card after the fact. I'm not an expert, but I don't really see any blocker to that route.

Last edited:

Virus

Senior Recognized Developer
Oct 19, 2009
COLUMBIA
www.myspace.com

Must be S-OFF****

Boot to bootloader
fastboot flash the vzw radio in bootloader mode (download here https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24539885398392983)

fastboot reboot

When phone boots go into cellular networks and make sure radio select is global.

At this point, you should have data/calls/texts if your sim was already active. If not reboot and re-test. Advanced calling features obviously won't work at the start of this.. but I know for certain can be re-added by our dev community. One verizon dev says he can do this day one. Clock has started homeboy.....

Note this was a collaborative effort here and some very helpful folk whom i have the greatest respect for completed this for the community.

confirmed working!!! thanks man FANTASTIC WORK!!

BranC85

May 19, 2014
Does this process need to be repeated every time a new ROM is flashed? Or once the device is whitelisted with VZW should you be good to go?

dottat

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 10, 2011
york, pa
Does this process need to be repeated every time a new ROM is flashed? Or once the device is whitelisted with VZW should you be good to go?
It will likely require the vzw radio to support it however that's not a normal item flashed during rom flashing so unless you manually update firmware back to unlocked you should be OK.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Reactions: azndan2

awareunlikeu

Jun 9, 2010
It will likely require the vzw radio to support it however that's not a normal item flashed during rom flashing so unless you manually update firmware back to unlocked you should be OK.

D, is it safe to update to the latest firmware from HTC before performing everything? S-off root, and then this?

dottat

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 10, 2011
york, pa
D, is it safe to update to the latest firmware from HTC before performing everything? S-off root, and then this?

I would s-off sooner rather than later. Just s-off. Factory reset. Take ota. Then flash radio, twrp etc.

hunteditor

May 7, 2013

Dangit, Dot, now I don't know what to do. I just ordered a Verizon 10 when I saw Jcase and his crew got s-off and root on it. But then I read where they're not going to be able to release a do-it-yourself version any time soon. The experience of sending my M9 to you was flawless and not expensive, but on the other hand I'd rather have the unlocked phone. The sim from my M9 would do the trick, correct? Any advice on which way to go?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Must be S-OFF**** AND STAY S-OFF while using this radio

Boot to bootloader
    - fastboot flash the vzw radio in bootloader mode (download here https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24539885398392983)

fastboot reboot

Note this was a collaborative effort here and some very helpful folk whom i have the greatest respect for completed this for the community. @beaups was the first to rock a carbon grey unlocked phone on the verizon network :) and as such deserves the credit for this...
    what you moving on to?

Time off. Though I did reopen the threads and repost the links. I will be around. Needed to hit reset.
    So Virus. You've tested and it worked for you.
    75128a968e3b390276a2944105a178fe.jpg
    yes sir!

Sent from my HTC 10 using XDA-Developers mobile app
    Hey gang-

Just wanted to drop a note that i'm moving on. As such, I have requested my threads to be closed as I won't be around to support them much anymore. Any download links (if applicable) will also be removed shortly as well.

Thanks and peace out.

Must be S-OFF****

Boot to bootloader
    fastboot flash the vzw radio in bootloader mode (download here https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24539885398392983)

fastboot reboot

Note this was a collaborative effort here and some very helpful folk whom i have the greatest respect for completed this for the community.

confirmed working!!! thanks man FANTASTIC WORK!!