VZW Note 3 N900V Fully Functional on T-Mobile 4G lte (band 4)

Search This thread

newuser134

Dec 18, 2009
FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS POST.

Hi everyone,

Finally managed to do what I was trying to accomplish on my VZW Galaxy S3 for almost a year.

I'm not sure if anyone else has already accomplished this or not. If anyone has, then sorry about the duplicate post (even though I haven't found any posts specifically describing how to do it).

It took me some research to see that both t-mobile and vzw run on band 4 block f (1700mhz-f), so I thought they should both be able to tune to the same lte band. Even though I was able to get H+ from a t-mobile prepaid sim to work on the vzw note 3, I was still not completely satisfied, so I kept at it till lte finally worked too.

I do give credit to the thread about "All things service mode" which described how to enable the service mode menu and then how to turn on lte band 4.

This DOES confirm that by turning on lte band 4 under service menu, it does really turn on, no firmware update is required to enable the additional layer of the lte band.

It's almost 4 a.m. so I'll get to the details a little later, but just wanted to post this as soon as I got it working, I know it'll make lots of people happy.

I got 28 mbps down and 6 mbps up on t-mobile where I get about 8m and 2m with vzw lte, respectively.

Look at the screen shots below. I did a little research and was able to get that annoying "non-Verizon sim" warning off too, but credit for that goes to someone else here on xda, I didn't figure that out, I will just relay that here for a one stop shop on how to use a t-mobile or other GSM sims in the vzw version. I will link to that post later when I have more time. Anyway, see below and let me know of your thoughts, I will add more details later.

DIRECTIONS:

Do this at your own risk, if any anything goes wrong, don't blame me for it. Make a nandroid backup before you start. To get 4G lte to work on t-mobile, and to remove the continuous sim warning, you'll have to be rooted. Just to get 4G hspa+ to work, you don't need root, but you'll have the annoying sim reminder/warning in your notification all the time.

1. Go to settings>more settings>mobile networks>network mode and change to "Global" mode. Also turn off your mobile data at this point.

2. Turn off your phone and replace your vzw sim w/ a t-mobile sim with prepaid or postpaid 4G service. Turn the phone back on. When it has finished booting up, you should have basic gsm service on t-mobile, you'll get a warning about a non-Verizon sim, don't worry about that right now, it won't hurt anything.

3. Now if you want t-mobile 4G lte and you have root, follow the thread for All things "ServiceMode" related to turn on lte band 4 through service mode. Restart the phone after enabling lte band 4.

4. Go to "mobile networks>access point names" under more settings, click the "+" on the bottom to add an apn, call it T-Mobile LTE and type "fast.t-mobile.com" without the quotes under APN. Leave everything else blank (you can add some of the other stuff later if you want to get picture messaging to work). Click the menu button and hit save. Once you're out, make sure you click on the green radial button to select the new APN you just created.

5. Now exit settings and turn on your mobile data. Give it a minute. You should get the 4G lte symbol after a little bit. You may have to restart the phone once for it to work.

If you're not in a good t-mobile 4G lte coverage area and just want the traditional hspa+ option, follow the same steps, but DO NOT enable lte band 4, and instead use "epc.tmobile.com" for apn. This way you won't need to be rooted. If you are already rooted and did enable lte B4, just switch the phone to gsm/umts mode under network mode, that will disable lte.

Now if you want to go the extra mile and remove the sim warning, get Titanium Backup from Play Store and freeze the app "Setup Wizard", the app with the "magic wand" above the red "check mark". You'll have to be rooted to do that.

If you follow similar steps, you can also get AT&T hspa+ to work, obviously with an AT&T sim and AT&T apn settings ("pta" for the apn, but AT&T has their lte on a different band, so you can't get AT&T 4G lte to work on this phone. For their hspa+, the steps are the same as for t-mobile hspa+, except for the actual apn settings.

Last edited:

waleed300

Hi everyone,

Finally managed to do what I was trying to accomplish on my VZW Galaxy S3 for almost a year.

I'm not sure if anyone else has already accomplished this or not. If anyone has, then sorry about the duplicate post (even though I haven't found any posts specifically describing how to do it).

It took me some research to see that both t-mobile and vzw run on band 4 block f (1700mhz-f), so I thought they should both be able to tune to the same lte band. Even though I was able to get H+ from a t-mobile prepaid sim to work on the vzw note 3, I was still not completely satisfied, so I kept at it till lte finally worked too.

I do give credit to the thread about "All things service mode" which described how to enable the service mode menu and then how to turn on lte band 4.

This DOES confirm that by turning on lte band 4 under service menu, it does really turn on, no firmware update is required to enable the additional layer of the lte band.

It's almost 4 a.m. so I'll get to the details a little later, but just wanted to post this as soon as I got it working, I know it'll make lots of people happy.

I got 28 mbps down and 6 mbps up on t-mobile where I get about 8m and 2m with vzw lte, respectively.

Look at the screen shots below. I did a little research and was able to get that annoying "non-Verizon sim" warning off too, but credit for that goes to someone else here on xda, I didn't figure that out, I will just relay that here for a one stop shop on how to use a t-mobile or other GSM sims in the vzw version. I will link to that post later when I have more time. Anyway, see below and let me know of your thoughts, I will add more details later.

Wow! Nice! I'm actually considering dumping verizon along with my unlimited data as Verion's network in my area (Nashville-Bellevue, TN) has progressively gotten worse over time. I used to get 3-4 bars with 4-10 Mbps down about a year and a half ago to 2-3 bars with 0.5-3 Mbps these past few months; now this past week, It's dropped to only 1 bar, and I can barely load google.com, I can't even run speed tests anymore. Verizon just told me that service in my neighborhood fluctuates and told me to purchase a $300 network extender..

Please tell me how you were able to get this.. I've already enabled Band 4 LTE on my phone hoping Nashville would have verizon's new AWS spectrum, but nothing yet. I'm sick of Verizon and I think I am ready for change, would definitely love to test this out on prepaid before I make my final decision.

:good:

Reactions: mrfollis

FrostyOrDie

Feb 27, 2012
Is there a particular reason you wouldn't want to just get the t mobile version note 3 (unlock able bootloader). Perhaps I'm missing something but is there any benefit to the Verizon version. Now I would love to get the t mobile phone working on Verizon on the other hand.

milan03

Feb 22, 2011
New York City
Since the device is factory unlocked for operation on GSM US carriers, of course it'll work on T-Mobile as they're transmitting LTE on Band 4.
It's been discussed here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=48760230&postcount=221 but keep in mind that Verizon Note 3 variant doesn't support T-Mobile's main 3G/Voice/HSPA+42 frequency which is AWS (2100/1700). It does support T-Mobile's secondary HSPA+21 in the PCS band, which is also where their GSM/EDGE services reside.

No hacking is necessary unless your device doesn't have Band 4 turned on (for some reason). My device came with Band 4 enabled, but it came with the latest radio as well...

Last edited:

newuser134

Dec 18, 2009
Since the device is factory unlocked for operation on GSM US carriers, of course it'll work on T-Mobile as they're transmitting LTE on Band 4.
It's been discussed here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=48760230&postcount=221 but keep in mind that Verizon Note 3 variant doesn't support T-Mobile's main 3G/Voice/HSPA+42 frequency which is AWS (2100/1700). It does support T-Mobile's secondary HSPA+21 in the PCS band, which is also where their GSM/EDGE services reside.

No hacking is necessary unless your device doesn't have Band 4 turned on (for some reason). My device came with Band 4 enabled, but it came with the latest radio as well...

I wasn't really saying anything about any hacking, but mine did not come with lte band 4 enabled, I'm guessing a lot of other people's Note 3's probably don't either.

Also, I'm not that surprised or exited that it works with their 1900 mhz hspa+, but I wasn't expecting the t-mobile version of lte to work with a cdma phone's lte. And it didn't right off the start, it required a little tweak to the apn setting. Anyway, it may be obvious to those who know about lte bands, but the average user may not be aware of that, so I thought I'd post this so people could use this thread to use the t-mobile prepaid plans on their vzw Note 3 if they wanted to.

Please look at the first post for directions to be added.

FrostyOrDie said:
Is there a particular reason you wouldn't want to just get the t mobile version note 3 (unlock able bootloader). Perhaps I'm missing something but is there any benefit to the Verizon version. Now I would love to get the t mobile phone working on Verizon on the other hand.

The reason is a lot of people who want to have the option to be on the Verizon network because it has very good coverage compared to the other carriers, also want to be able to use it on a GSM carrier's network, such as t-mobile, because they have unlimited or cheaper lte plans, however, Verizon is a cdma carrier, and it is usually not possible to get a GSM phone, even if it is unlocked, to work on a cdma network, so buying a t-mobile version would only allow it to work on t-mobile, not on Verizon, but the Verizon version works on both. Also, if it works on the t-mobile pcs band H+, it will work on overseas gsm carriers' networks, so local sims from there could be used for those who travel there and have Verizon, as opposed to expensive roaming charges. Hope that explains it and answers your questions.

newuser134

Dec 18, 2009
but keep in mind that Verizon Note 3 variant doesn't support T-Mobile's main 3G/Voice/HSPA+42 frequency which is AWS (2100/1700).

For those who have the Dev Edition Verizon Note 3, do you think flashing a t-mobile baseband (modem) or a modified "hybrid" modem would enable the AWS band for hspa+ 42? I'm basically asking if you think the SM-N900V version Note 3 has native support for the AWS band even though it may not be enabled for Verizon, since it must have the 1700 mhz antenna if it has lte band 4? I know lte and wcdma are different, but as far as RF goes, the ability to receive 1700 mhz is already there. That would be kinda like the original att Note that had support for AWS but had to have a t-mobile modem flashed before it was enabled. As I've heard, the DE Verizon Note 3 is very similar to the t-mobile Note 3, at least for roms and kernels.

milan03

Feb 22, 2011
New York City
For those who have the Dev Edition Verizon Note 3, do you think flashing a t-mobile baseband (modem) or a modified "hybrid" modem would enable the AWS band for hspa+ 42? I'm basically asking if you think the SM-N900V version Note 3 has native support for the AWS band even though it may not be enabled for Verizon, since it must have the 1700 mhz antenna if it has lte band 4? I know lte and wcdma are different, but as far as RF goes, the ability to receive 1700 mhz is already there. That would be kinda like the original att Note that had support for AWS but had to have a t-mobile modem flashed before it was enabled. As I've heard, the DE Verizon Note 3 is very similar to the t-mobile Note 3, at least for roms and kernels.
That is a very interesting topic especially if we consider that AWS transceiver and signal path already exists. If we look at the FCC antenna diagram for SM-N900V we can see that B4 antenna is shared with CDMA at the top left corner, which could indicate that would be B4 UMTS path as although it's not displayed since the B4 UMTS certification hasn't been requested by Verizon.

SuntG9Um.png

Left side is the B4 Rx diversity required for LTE MIMO operation, and at the right side is B4 dedicated Tx which is a nice touch.

This is what's been tested and certified for btw:

8mBUjOom.png

You could always try, but obviously be prepared for it not to work, etc... ;)

Last edited:

platinumyahoo

May 15, 2009
Wow! Nice! I'm actually considering dumping verizon along with my unlimited data as Verion's network in my area (Nashville-Bellevue, TN) has progressively gotten worse over time. I used to get 3-4 bars with 4-10 Mbps down about a year and a half ago to 2-3 bars with 0.5-3 Mbps these past few months; now this past week, It's dropped to only 1 bar, and I can barely load google.com, I can't even run speed tests anymore. Verizon just told me that service in my neighborhood fluctuates and told me to purchase a $300 network extender..

Please tell me how you were able to get this.. I've already enabled Band 4 LTE on my phone hoping Nashville would have verizon's new AWS spectrum, but nothing yet. I'm sick of Verizon and I think I am ready for change, would definitely love to test this out on prepaid before I make my final decision.

:good:

if you decide to dump verizon unlimited data let me know so I can assume your line. Ill even pay you a pretty penny since most of us know these have value on ebay.

carlz28

Apr 22, 2010
if you decide to dump verizon unlimited data let me know so I can assume your line. Ill even pay you a pretty penny since most of us know these have value on ebay.

I'll sell you my unlimited VZW line for literally $0.01
Contract is up in the 2nd week of this February...And I'm doing this exact thing with my N3. In fact, I already have the TMO SIM for $30/mo plan activated and tested it all out today.
I don't know if you can assume liability of a line once the contract is up, since it would be month-2-month at that point, but if it's possible, I'd let mine go for a penny.

platinumyahoo

May 15, 2009
I'll sell you my unlimited VZW line for literally $0.01
Contract is up in the 2nd week of this February...And I'm doing this exact thing with my N3. In fact, I already have the TMO SIM for $30/mo plan activated and tested it all out today.
I don't know if you can assume liability of a line once the contract is up, since it would be month-2-month at that point, but if it's possible, I'd let mine go for a penny.

PMed

kwkw480

Sep 18, 2009
Will this work the other way around a T Mobile Note 3 working on verizon with LTE functioning?

newuser134

Dec 18, 2009
Will this work the other way around a T Mobile Note 3 working on verizon with LTE functioning?

No, no other carrier's phone or device will work on Verizon. In general, no gsm device will work on any cdma network, because cdma devices have to be approved by that provider to work on their network. Any unlocked gsm or cdma device with a sim will work on a GSM network.

kamileon

May 10, 2010
Phoenix
To add T-Mobile APNs wouldn't it just be easier to replace the apn-config.xml file. Easy to do if you are rooted and have the app root explorer or something similar. Imnuts has one pre-built with pretty much every apn in the world already in it. Worked great for my Note 2, should be fine for the Note 3. Heres the link to imnuts post http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2044449

drag&fly

Nov 19, 2013
Just tried my friends Straight Talk ATT sim card and I only got H+ but, it was a little faster than my Verizon LTE..... In this location. And should mention my signal was at -78dbm vs Verizon @ -98dbm. Glad when my contract is up.

---------- Post added at 12:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 AM ----------

Too, I wanted to add that I powered my phone down and swapped out sim cards. Powered back on and was able to add my APN by hitting the plus at the bottom of the screen. I did use chain fires Region lock away app. Not sure this is 100% relative to the thread but wanted to share. And if it's not, then I do apologize for hi jacking.

mexiking713

Sep 2, 2010
Houston, TX
Im assuming if I switch to metro pcs with a sim then ill be able to use their 4g? Its basically tmobile right?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

bursthead

Apr 10, 2011
I took the plunge and paid for a month of service on tmobile. Unfortunately the best I got was H+. I tried to manually force band 4 LTE, selected cdma, lte in the settings. According to the coverage map im in a 4g LTE area. I drove around a couple of cities and I have not been able to get it to show. I'm also located near downtown los angeles. I can't stand the crazy latency and super slow service so the sim is going into the trash.

Justinchi

Mar 30, 2012
Can you explain what I have to do a little better? I just got a Verizon note 3 from someone and trying to use MetroPCS sim.

INFRNL

Nov 12, 2012

Is this even possible? I fully agree that getting verizon to work on tmobile phone would be a better route than vise-versa

I currently own both and have both services. I wanted to use my tmobile phone so i would not have to buy the verizon phone. Apparently it seems that the tmobile phone does not have what it takes to run cdma.

dawrog

Dec 19, 2011
Sorry if im wrong here guys, ive been out of the phone game for a bit. I always thought the issue lied with verizon restricting service to native esn's/imei's on the network. If vzw allowed foreign esns on their network, any unlocked world phone would work.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

brianburen

Mar 29, 2010
Ok I took the plunge... I hate verizon but love my current note 3 so....

I bought an T-Mobile Prepay SIM card, activated 1 month of service.

I get three bars signal but never get data. I can make calls and send sms but no data:confused:

I tried both APN's in OP.

Any input?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS POST.

Hi everyone,

DIRECTIONS:

Do this at your own risk, if any anything goes wrong, don't blame me for it. Make a nandroid backup before you start. To get 4G lte to work on t-mobile, and to remove the continuous sim warning, you'll have to be rooted. Just to get 4G hspa+ to work, you don't need root, but you'll have the annoying sim reminder/warning in your notification all the time.

1. Go to settings>more settings>mobile networks>network mode and change to "Global" mode. Also turn off your mobile data at this point.

2. Turn off your phone and replace your vzw sim w/ a t-mobile sim with prepaid or postpaid 4G service. Turn the phone back on. When it has finished booting up, you should have basic gsm service on t-mobile, you'll get a warning about a non-Verizon sim, don't worry about that right now, it won't hurt anything.

3. Now if you want t-mobile 4G lte and you have root, follow the thread for All things "ServiceMode" related to turn on lte band 4 through service mode. Restart the phone after enabling lte band 4.

4. Go to "mobile networks>access point names" under more settings, click the "+" on the bottom to add an apn, call it T-Mobile LTE and type "fast.t-mobile.com" without the quotes under APN. Leave everything else blank (you can add some of the other stuff later if you want to get picture messaging to work). Click the menu button and hit save. Once you're out, make sure you click on the green radial button to select the new APN you just created.

5. Now exit settings and turn on your mobile data. Give it a minute. You should get the 4G lte symbol after a little bit. You may have to restart the phone once for it to work.

If you're not in a good t-mobile 4G lte coverage area and just want the traditional hspa+ option, follow the same steps, but DO NOT enable lte band 4, and instead use "epc.tmobile.com" for apn. This way you won't need to be rooted. If you are already rooted and did enable lte B4, just switch the phone to gsm/umts mode under network mode, that will disable lte.

Now if you want to go the extra mile and remove the sim warning, get Titanium Backup from Play Store and freeze the app "Setup Wizard", the app with the "magic wand" above the red "check mark". You'll have to be rooted to do that.

If you follow similar steps, you can also get AT&T hspa+ to work, obviously with an AT&T sim and AT&T apn settings ("pta" for the apn, but AT&T has their lte on a different band, so you can't get AT&T 4G lte to work on this phone. For their hspa+, the steps are the same as for t-mobile hspa+, except for the actual apn settings.

To share my experience for anyone looking to jump ship from Verizon to tmobile, I can confirm that a Verizon note 3 does work on t mobile.

My Verizon Note 3 had the following setup prior:
    • Safestrap 3.75 Installed
    • Rooted Stock-Deoxed Verizon Note 3 4.4.2 (N900VVRUCNC2)
    • Also had the NC2 Firmware/Modem

With 4.4.2 Verizon turned on band 4 so there's no need to do any allservicemode steps.

I bought a prepaid T-Mobile prepaid microsim activation kit(which I think T-Mobile is giving for free now on there website) and went with the $3/day plan just to test out T-Mobile's service in my area and places I commuted
    I simply put $10 into the account.

Now the steps I took to ensure I get service and mms was the following.

1. Put phone into airplane mode than turned the phone off. Removed Verizon Sim and put in T-Mobile Sim.

2. With the phone fully booted(still in airplane mode) I went into SETTINGS->MORE SETTINGS->MOBILE NETWORKS->NETWORK MODE --- and selected GLOBAL

3. Than still under NETWORK MODE-> ACCESS POINT NAMES --- I clicked the (+) top right corner and added the following APN Name T-Mobile US LTE ( The first two attachments show the exact settings)

4. Since I was already in the menu, I added a second APN just in case I wasn't in a band 4 LTE area, APN NAME : T-MOBILE HSPA+ (The 3rd and 4th attachment includes the APN settings.

5. I selected the APN: T-Mobile US LTE. Turned off airplane mode and turned on mobile data.

6. Rebooted my phone and voila T-Mobile service up and running found out I was in an area with band 4 LTE.

I tested the internet, calling, text messages, and MMS all working that night.

Now the next day I drove from my house to my job which is a 36 mile commute from Long Island into NYC. And can confirm that I had 5 BARS LTE SERVICE the whole commute. (While I've only had 1-3 bars on Verizon) Did a speedtest as well and Tmobiles network is definitely faster in comparison to Verizon.

Now I did run into a few areas where I didn't get LTE and it switched to EDGE (while with in GLOBAL MODE -- set in Step 2). Edge was unbearably slow so it's a nuisance but I changed global mode to GSM.

And changed the APN to T-MOBILE HSPA+ (Created in Step 4.) And was able to get HSPA+ in those few areas that didn't have LTE service.

You can changed back to LTE for areas in which you do know has it by changing back to global mode and choosing T-Mobile US LTE APN.

My experience has been good and I'm sold on switching to T-mobile permanently. But what I still want to do is get T-Mobile WIFI CALLING/Texting working on my Verizon Note 3.

I deduce by flashing a T-Mobile Rom under safestrap would enable the feature and I have read somewhere that it is possible, or possibly flashing CM ROM and getting the t mobile WiFi feature added onto that somehow but have yet to commit.

Has anyone had any experience switching over and getting T-Mobile WiFi calling to work on a Verizon Note 3? If not I'll try a few methods I think will work and post back with results.
    That is a very interesting topic especially if we consider that AWS transceiver and signal path already exists. If we look at the FCC antenna diagram for SM-N900V we can see that B4 antenna is shared with CDMA at the top left corner, which could indicate that would be B4 UMTS path as although it's not displayed since the B4 UMTS certification hasn't been requested by Verizon.

SuntG9Um.png

Left side is the B4 Rx diversity required for LTE MIMO operation, and at the right side is B4 dedicated Tx which is a nice touch.

This is what's been tested and certified for btw:

8mBUjOom.png

You could always try, but obviously be prepared for it not to work, etc... ;)
    I still do not understand why you would want to have a the VZW Note 3 (which is actually my main device) at all?

I believe its not the VZW version they/we want. Its what we have and we want kick big red to the curb and go with another carrier such as T-mobile using the equipment we already have.

:cowboy: