2021_VZW_NOTE4_Tool Too Root+Unlock Bootloaders+Upgrade Or Downgrade_Bootloaders_Works On KK/LL/MM Plus Roms For All 3 Firmwares

Search This thread

jrkruse

Recognized Contributor
Aug 9, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra
This Process Will Root Phone Unlock Your VZW EMMC 15 Chipset Bootloader Install TWRP Recovery And Install PreRooted Firmware Of Your Choice!.

I posted this because the current unlock methods are not easy to do. This should make process easier
If you already have unlocked bootloader and want to change bootloader versions then goto post 2

Downloads
EMMC_15_VZW_NOTE4_BOOTLOADER_UNLOCK_2021.7z

Instructions
1, You need working adb on your computer. The latest samsung drivers installed. A Sdcard inserted in the phone preferably a 32 gig or less. Must be at least 1 gig. Phone will be wiped! A data connection or wifi is also required.
2. Download and extract the EMMC_15_VZW_NOTE4_BOOTLOADER_UNLOCK.7z
3. Reboot phone to download mode (pwr+voldwn+home_button). In Odin_Files folder use odin and flash the COMBINATION_VZW_FA44_N910VVRU2APB1.tar.md5 in BL slot in odin
4. Once phone is booted up and connected to computer run 1Install_KingRoot.cmd. This will install kingo root and kingroot app on phone.
5. Once installed make sure phone has data via cell or wifi. Run kingo root to root phone. Phone may kernel panic and reboot just keep trying. Once root is successful move to step 6 if unsuccessful try kingroot if thats succesful click on root permissions in the kingo root app and click on system adb and change prompt to allow. This is not necessary if rooted with kingo app
6. Make sure phone is connected to computer and run1Replace_With_SuperSu.cmd then once this process finishes run 2UnlockBootloader.cmd. This will change CID to Dev edition and then unlock that bootloader. If first time unlocking phone it will change your cid to dev edition then reboot during process. This is fine you will not loose root. Close cmd window wait for phone to reconnect then run again this time it will unlock the bootloaders when done phone will once again power off. Remove sdcard this is very important so I will say again remove SDCard from Phone your phone will not boot with sdcard in until it is reformated! Reboot to download mode you should notice it says DEV Mode.
7. Reboot phone and now you are ready to choose your bootloader you want to be on for this guide we will assume you want to be on latest QL1 Marshmallow bootloader.
8. Make sure phone is connected and run 3UnlockBootloader_MM_QL1.cmd or what ever one you choose. When done Phone will power off and now the bootloader is updated.
9. Now choose the firmware that matches your unlocked bootloader from below
N910VVRU1ANJ5_DEV_ROOTED.tar.rar Kit Kat 4.4 Rooted Firmware
N910VVRU2BOG5_DEV_ROOTED_SUPERSU.tar.rar Lollipop 5.0 Rooted Firmware
N910VVRU2BPA1_DEV_ROOTED_MAGISK.tar.rar Lollipop 5.1 Rooted Firmware
N910VVRU2CQL1_DEV_ROOTED_MAGISK.tar.rar Marshmallow 6.0 Rooted Firmware
VZW_N910VVRU2CTI1_ROOTED_FORCE_WIPE.tar.7z Marshmallow 6.0 EFTSU Rooted Latest Firmware!!
10 Reboot phone to download mode and flash above firmware that matches your bootloader version Im using N910VVRU2CQL1_DEV_ROOTED_MAGISK.tar.rar as example. Extract N910VVRU2CQL1_DEV_ROOTED_MAGISK.tar.rar and use provide odin from EMMC_15_VZW_NOTE4_BOOTLOADER_UNLOCK and choose N910VVRU2CQL1_DEV_ROOTED_MAGISK.tar.md5 or the one you choose and in odin BL slot uncheck auto reboot and flash. When flash is done make sure to reboot to TWRP recovery which will be installed and wipe data then reboot. You are done!
11. Above firmware running magisk root may til you additional steps are needed and download magisk zip. You can skip this step if you want as it is rooted and magisk apk is installed but if you want I will provide magisk zip used in root if you want to reflash

Last edited:

jrkruse

Recognized Contributor
Aug 9, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra
Upgrade Bootloaders For EMMC 15 VZW DEV Unlocked Phones

This process requires flashing back all stock firmware in order to upgrade/downgrade bootloaders. So I have made a special rom just for doing this which should make process easy. Its all done with odin and flashire.

Downloads
EMMC_15_VZW_NOTE4_BOOTLOADER_UPGRADE_ZIPS_2021.7z
VZW_N910VVRU2CTI1_ROOTED_FORCE_WIPE.tar.7z Marshmallow 6.0 EFTSU Rooted Latest Firmware!!

Instructions
You must be on EMMC 15 unlocked bootloader if not goto post 1 to unlock bootloader
1. Download the EMMC_15_VZW_NOTE4_BOOTLOADER_UPGRADE_ZIPS.7z and extract this will contain the zips and special firmware for upgrading bootloader. Download above firmware you want to upgrade/downgrade too.
2. You will probably need to wipe data so reboot to TWRP recovery wipe data then reboot to download mode use provide odin in the Odin_Files folder and choose FIRMWARE_FOR_UPGRADE_DOWGRADE_BOOTLOADERS.tar.md5 and flash in BL slot.
3. This will reflash stock firmware and a prerooted special rom with a flashfire preinstalled and minimal files just to boot rom. Your bootloader will be locked for the time being as this is necessary to upgrade bootloaders.
4. When rom is booted choose the zip that matches the firmware you want to install from the FlashFire_Zips folder and place on phone storage.
5. Open flashfire grant root access choose add zip choose the zip you placed on phone click on reboot tab in flashfire and choose reboot to bootloader in will say dev mode this means your unlocked again
6, Now choose above firmware you downloaded extract the tar.md5 file from the rar file and flash in BL slot in odin Uncheck auto reboot when don flashing force reboot to TWRP recovery and wipe data again then reboot phone. You are now Upgraded or downgraded which ever you choose to do.

Last edited:

DeeXii

Sep 28, 2010
Magic Kingdom, FL
How many times does it usually take for kingroot?

UPDATE: Tried many times and eventually it said "Root Failed" "no strategy now"

Last edited:

DeeXii

Sep 28, 2010
Magic Kingdom, FL
I would start over completely. Reflash the Odin files then make sure you have internet access i would use wifi when running kingroot app

Sent from some device I modified

Ok I will reflash...
Yes I had internet access, Kingroot does not even function without it.
Thanks for the fast reply! :)

---------- Post added at 06:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:54 PM ----------

:(
Can't seem to get passed 35% :(

---------- Post added at 06:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:15 PM ----------

UPDATE:
I used Kingroot desktop version and it rooted the first try. :)
On to the next step.

---------- Post added at 07:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:41 PM ----------

How long does N910VVRU2CQL1_DEV_ROOTED_MAGISK.tar.md5 take to flash?
It has not errored out at all but it seems to be taking longer than I have ever seen.
It's on tz.mbn.

dij_333

Mar 3, 2020
Quapaw, OK
@jrkruse THANK YOU for putting this into such a simplified method that doesn't require large downloads, multiple command lines, or having to downgrade and re-upgrade just to be able to achieve an initial root, unlock, and TWRP!!! I read through way too many methods that were a MILE long before I happened across this one. The ONLY issue i ran into during this process (should help others), was that I had to insert a newer version (and rename it to match the script) of the KingRoot APK to be able to achieve root on my existing CQL1 firmware. I tried the provided APK many times without success, but a newer version was able to achieve root on CQL1 after only a few attempts/reboots. I downloaded the newer APK (version 5.3.7) from the post provided by @Kingxteam at https://xdaforums.com/android/apps-games/one-click-root-tool-android-2-x-5-0-t3107461. If anyone is looking for a simple way to root and unlock CQL1 without having to downgrade first, THIS IS IT!!! Thanks again jrkruse for the automated script, and thank you Kingxteam for the thread and links for a KingRoot APK that works with CQL1!!!

Jalh

Dec 11, 2010
I'm getting a bit fustrated by the rooting process. Hopefully someone would be able to help me out.

Once I finished step #3 and boot into the dev and I try to root, it fails. I have tried several times and keep on failing. I took a different route and approach by reinstalling the image and re installing the kingroot and the same. Finally I gave up, and replaced the kingroot apk by its newest release. Eventually I get rooted, but once i try to unlock the boot loader i get the following message "/system/bin/sh: su: not found" .Randomly I was able to successfully run unlookbootloader once, but once the device reboots, i lose root.

Im not sure what to do, to keep root at this point.

jrkruse

Recognized Contributor
Aug 9, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra
I'm getting a bit fustrated by the rooting process. Hopefully someone would be able to help me out.

Once I finished step #3 and boot into the dev and I try to root, it fails. I have tried several times and keep on failing. I took a different route and approach by reinstalling the image and re installing the kingroot and the same. Finally I gave up, and replaced the kingroot apk by its newest release. Eventually I get rooted, but once i try to unlock the boot loader i get the following message "/system/bin/sh: su: not found" .Randomly I was able to successfully run unlookbootloader once, but once the device reboots, i lose root.

Im not sure what to do, to keep root at this point.

Did you install the combo firmware because you don’t loose root when on the combo firmware

Sent from some device I modified

soulerbear

Jul 5, 2020
New York
Hello all. I'll start by acknowledging that I am a noob with very little experience but can follow technical instructions to achieve desired results when they are described easily for the uninitiated. That said, I too have 2 Verizon note 4s running marshmallow with build numbers ending in CQL1. Following your tutorial, I was able to get one of my phones to step 4 where as described, it kept showing the kernel panic error no less than 10 times. I took the suggestion of another user and was finally able to achieve root with the Kingroot desktop app on my PC. I then clicked on root permissions and changed the prompt to allow. At this point I proceeded to step 6 and after clicking 2UnlockBootloader.cmd, the phone did not reboot as described and the command window returned the following message:

D:\Desktop\EMMC>adb wait-for-device
You May Need To Accept Root Dialog On Phone ...
Files/n4unlock\: 1 file pushed. 1.2 MB/s (23432 bytes in 0.018s)
cd /data/local/tmp/n4unlock
chmod 777 unlock
chown root.root unlock
./unlock
yes
exit

/system/bin/sh: su: not found
Process Complete.
Press any key to continue . . .

No dialog box appeared on my phone and I'm not sure why it says SU not found or what the significance of that missing item is to the process. Am I missing a step? Assuming I have not unlocked the bootloader with step 6, what now? What should I do at this point to achieve the desired result? I do realize that these are older phones and some might care less but making them work now could help my family in a big way. I'd gladly share some of those savings with anyone willing to help troubleshoot... thanks in advance.

Hanging on 1st BL file

Not my first time but seems like im getting hing up during the first flash. how long does it normally take for this 1st BL to flash over
<ID:0/004> Odin engine v(ID:3.1301)..
<ID:0/004> File analysis..
<ID:0/004> Total Binary size: 636 M
<ID:0/004> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/004> Initialzation..
<ID:0/004> Set PIT file..
<ID:0/004> DO NOT TURN OFF TARGET!!
<ID:0/004> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/004> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/004> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/004> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/004> aboot.mbn

Hung here for about 10min any help would be great thanks!

This Process Will Root Phone Unlock Your VZW EMMC 15 Chipset Bootloader Install TWRP Recovery And Install PreRooted Firmware Of Your Choice!.​

I posted this because the current unlock methods are not easy to do. This should make process easier
If you already have unlocked bootloader and want to change bootloader versions then goto post 2

Working perfectly & really much much easier (than the original method which I have done twice so far so I know what I am talking about)!! Thank you :D

unrooty

Apr 2, 2018
I have to throw in my hat saying that this method didn't work for me either. Like others I got stuck at the rooting stage, I tried numerous times to get root, it didn't work. I then used the upgraded KingRoot, it worked but step 6. 2UnlockBootloader.cmd script wouldn't take, since it seemingly kept losing root. But don't worry, if you've tried this method and are stuck you can still salvage it by going through the manual methods.

Make sure reactivation lock is off if you have the option (I didn't on the firmware that OP installed on the phone), usb debugging is on and adb devices brings up your phone)

----
Flash back to stock
----
I had to flash it to a stock rom using Odin (stick them in AP and make sure re-partition in options isn't checked) Android version 5.1.1, as going through the steps below (which are basically what's in 2UnlockBootloader.cmd) manually still wouldn't take: https://xdaforums.com/note-4-verizon/development/firmware-firmware-kernel-modem-recovery-t2942937

----
Root and bootloader unlock
----
I used the android version of KingORoot to root

I used this guide (the files used in this walkthrough are the ones largely used in the others below and downloads faster): https://xdaforums.com/note-4-verizon/general/easy-guide-how-to-root-verizon-galaxy-t3454593

Which has a video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfpehEkhfyg

and a text walkthrough with photos (that I like more) from the same guy here: https://galaxynote4root.com/galaxy-note-4-root/how-to-root-unlock-bootloader-on-galaxy-note-4/
(Since I largely used this make sure you put "samsung_unlock_n4-fix" in the fastboot folder)

Mine however began to bootloop (I'm unsure why they tell you to reboot to system on step 19 after installing the systemonly firmware but do it anyways I guess. But you had to install the kernel and superuser in twrp as addressed here: https://youtu.be/dhcV93GuHB4?t=1285

After that it booted up to 5.1.1 download rootcheck to root check it.

----
Rooting for Marshmallow
----
After that's done if you want to flash MarshMallow roms, including rooted stock 6.0.1 then you need to further go through the process here, which is basically doing it all over again:

https://xdaforums.com/note-4-verizon/development/howto-bootloader-unlock-upgrade-to-t3398144
(Going through this process will kill your wifi connection, the KingORoot PC program didn't work to re-root mine, so you must have a sim card data connection I guess (or reverse tethering if you can get that to work(I had data so I didn't go through that).

then here when you get to the part about flashing a rom:

https://xdaforums.com/note-4-verizon/development/firmware-safe-upgrade-to-marshmallow-t3402727
(Flashed with Odin (AP) not TWRP)

Anyway, I'm now rooted and bootloader unlocked. It wasn't too hard, once I found the guides it went pretty smoothly. Good luck!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This Process Will Root Phone Unlock Your VZW EMMC 15 Chipset Bootloader Install TWRP Recovery And Install PreRooted Firmware Of Your Choice!.

Downloads
    EMMC_15_VZW_NOTE4_BOOTLOADER_UNLOCK_2021.7z

Instructions
    1, You need working adb on your computer. The latest samsung drivers installed. A Sdcard inserted in the phone preferably a 32 gig or less. Must be at least 1 gig. Phone will be wiped! A data connection or wifi is also required.
    2. Download and extract the EMMC_15_VZW_NOTE4_BOOTLOADER_UNLOCK.7z
    3. Reboot phone to download mode (pwr+voldwn+home_button). In Odin_Files folder use odin and flash the COMBINATION_VZW_FA44_N910VVRU2APB1.tar.md5 in BL slot in odin
    4. Once phone is booted up and connected to computer run 1Install_KingRoot.cmd. This will install kingo root and kingroot app on phone.
    5. Once installed make sure phone has data via cell or wifi. Run kingo root to root phone. Phone may kernel panic and reboot just keep trying. Once root is successful move to step 6 if unsuccessful try kingroot if thats succesful click on root permissions in the kingo root app and click on system adb and change prompt to allow. This is not necessary if rooted with kingo app
    6. Make sure phone is connected to computer and run1Replace_With_SuperSu.cmd then once this process finishes run 2UnlockBootloader.cmd. This will change CID to Dev edition and then unlock that bootloader. If first time unlocking phone it will change your cid to dev edition then reboot during process. This is fine you will not loose root. Close cmd window wait for phone to reconnect then run again this time it will unlock the bootloaders when done phone will once again power off. Remove sdcard this is very important so I will say again remove SDCard from Phone your phone will not boot with sdcard in until it is reformated! Reboot to download mode you should notice it says DEV Mode.
    7. Reboot phone and now you are ready to choose your bootloader you want to be on for this guide we will assume you want to be on latest QL1 Marshmallow bootloader.
    8. Make sure phone is connected and run 3UnlockBootloader_MM_QL1.cmd or what ever one you choose. When done Phone will power off and now the bootloader is updated.
    9. Now choose the firmware that matches your unlocked bootloader from below
    10 Reboot phone to download mode and flash above firmware that matches your bootloader version Im using N910VVRU2CQL1_DEV_ROOTED_MAGISK.tar.rar as example. Extract N910VVRU2CQL1_DEV_ROOTED_MAGISK.tar.rar and use provide odin from EMMC_15_VZW_NOTE4_BOOTLOADER_UNLOCK and choose N910VVRU2CQL1_DEV_ROOTED_MAGISK.tar.md5 or the one you choose and in odin BL slot uncheck auto reboot and flash. When flash is done make sure to reboot to TWRP recovery which will be installed and wipe data then reboot. You are done!
    11. Above firmware running magisk root may til you additional steps are needed and download magisk zip. You can skip this step if you want as it is rooted and magisk apk is installed but if you want I will provide magisk zip used in root if you want to reflash
    Upgrade Bootloaders For EMMC 15 VZW DEV Unlocked Phones

This process requires flashing back all stock firmware in order to upgrade/downgrade bootloaders. So I have made a special rom just for doing this which should make process easy. Its all done with odin and flashire.

Downloads
    EMMC_15_VZW_NOTE4_BOOTLOADER_UPGRADE_ZIPS_2021.7z

Instructions
    You must be on EMMC 15 unlocked bootloader if not goto post 1 to unlock bootloader
    1. Download the EMMC_15_VZW_NOTE4_BOOTLOADER_UPGRADE_ZIPS.7z and extract this will contain the zips and special firmware for upgrading bootloader. Download above firmware you want to upgrade/downgrade too.
    2. You will probably need to wipe data so reboot to TWRP recovery wipe data then reboot to download mode use provide odin in the Odin_Files folder and choose FIRMWARE_FOR_UPGRADE_DOWGRADE_BOOTLOADERS.tar.md5 and flash in BL slot.
    3. This will reflash stock firmware and a prerooted special rom with a flashfire preinstalled and minimal files just to boot rom. Your bootloader will be locked for the time being as this is necessary to upgrade bootloaders.
    4. When rom is booted choose the zip that matches the firmware you want to install from the FlashFire_Zips folder and place on phone storage.
    5. Open flashfire grant root access choose add zip choose the zip you placed on phone click on reboot tab in flashfire and choose reboot to bootloader in will say dev mode this means your unlocked again
    6, Now choose above firmware you downloaded extract the tar.md5 file from the rar file and flash in BL slot in odin Uncheck auto reboot when don flashing force reboot to TWRP recovery and wipe data again then reboot phone. You are now Upgraded or downgraded which ever you choose to do.
    This has been needed in our forum for a long time. Fantastic work, thanks!
    I updated root files and method too work on newer computers
    Added latest firmware

VZW_N910VVRU2CTI1_ROOTED_FORCE_WIPE.tar.7z