W10M Windows Update Issue (Error: 0x80070273)

Search This thread

swapcall

Feb 23, 2015
help required

stuck on Lumia 1020, done all the step correctly.
Pls help of anyone has oeminput.xml ready pls share
able to overwrite original xml with revised but same error 0x80070273

swapcall

Feb 23, 2015
Did it worked ?

---------- Post added at 04:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:51 AM ----------

thank you
Request help

---------- Post added at 05:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:53 AM ----------

After following all the stpes as per process getting same error.

oldman820

Nov 11, 2020
Which of these is correct in the oeminput.xml ?

<SOC>{QC8960}</SOC>
or
<SOC>QC8960</SOC>

nvm, found this article ,looks like it's the bottom one , without the brackets:

Last edited:

RodrigoRodik

Apr 8, 2021
Hi.

First, congratulations to sigfrid696 for his discovery about the OEMInput.xml problematic file.

I have tried to use his method with my Lumia 920 (model RM-821_lta_brazil_253), but unfortunately the error persisted. However, using the OEMInput.xml from the original firmware (stock .FFU file), I managed to receive updates on my Lumia, solving the 0x80070273 error.

Steps:
  • Download the original firmware using 'Windows Phone Internals' software (at options "Platform > Download > Download all"). The files are stored at "C:\ProgramData\WPInternals\Repository\" folder (or you can download the firmware at LumiaFirmware.com site, if you prefer).
  • Make a dump of "MainOS" partition from the .FFU file you downloaded. Using WPInternals, go to "Platform > Dump", select the source FFU at "C:\ProgramData\WPInternals\Repository\<your_cellphone_model>\<filename.ffu>", select the target-file for MainOS partition (MainOS.img) and click on "Dump partitions" button.
  • Using a extraction software (like 7-Zip), open the MainOS.img file, navigate to "\Windows\ImageUpdate\" folder and extract the original OEMInput.xml file.
  • Overwrite the OEMInput.xml file stored in your Lumia with the XML file extracted from MainOS.img (with the same way indicated by sigfrid696's tutorial).
  • Now, you can try search updates on your Lumia.
Hope this helps.
Sorry for my bad english.
Have a nice day!

Reactions: DaneGleesak

DaneGleesak

Oct 26, 2013
Hi.

First, congratulations to sigfrid696 for his discovery about the OEMInput.xml problematic file.

I have tried to use his method with my Lumia 920 (model RM-821_lta_brazil_253), but unfortunately the error persisted. However, using the OEMInput.xml from the original firmware (stock .FFU file), I managed to receive updates on my Lumia, solving the 0x80070273 error.

Steps:
  • Download the original firmware using 'Windows Phone Internals' software (at options "Platform > Download > Download all"). The files are stored at "C:\ProgramData\WPInternals\Repository\" folder (or you can download the firmware at LumiaFirmware.com site, if you prefer).
  • Make a dump of "MainOS" partition from the .FFU file you downloaded. Using WPInternals, go to "Platform > Dump", select the source FFU at "C:\ProgramData\WPInternals\Repository\<your_cellphone_model>\<filename.ffu>", select the target-file for MainOS partition (MainOS.img) and click on "Dump partitions" button.
  • Using a extraction software (like 7-Zip), open the MainOS.img file, navigate to "\Windows\ImageUpdate\" folder and extract the original OEMInput.xml file.
  • Overwrite the OEMInput.xml file stored in your Lumia with the XML file extracted from MainOS.img (with the same way indicated by sigfrid696's tutorial).
Hope this helps.
Have a nice day!
I don't seem to understand. Does this solve windows update errors? so one can update via the updater instead of alternative methods?

RodrigoRodik

Apr 8, 2021
I don't seem to understand. Does this solve windows update errors? so one can update via the updater instead of alternative methods?
Hi DaneGleesak.

First, I tried to use the 'OEMInput.xml' from Microsoft's template (at 'https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn756630(v=vs.85).aspx' site), changed the <SOC> and <Resolution> fields with parameters for my Lumia 920 ('QC8960' and '768x1280', respectively ), but the 0x80070273 error persisted. Then, using the original 'OEMInput.xml' (extracted from firmware .FFU file), I managed to update my Lumia 920 through normal channels (Windows Update).

I noticed that this OEMInput.xml file contains a lot more information, some of it specific to my Lumia 920 variant, like additional keyboard layouts for Latin America and additional references (at <AdditionalFMs> fields) for Nokia and Qualcomm's .XML files. I don't know if this is related to the error, but in my case it worked well after that.

Attached, the OEMInput.xml file from original firmware.

Attachments

• OEMInput.xml
    6.5 KB · Views: 5

DaneGleesak

Oct 26, 2013
Hi.

Steps:
Hope this helps.
Have a nice day!
Hi DaneGleesak.

First, I tried to use the 'OEMInput.xml' from Microsoft's template (at 'https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn756630(v=vs.85).aspx' site), changed the <SOC> and <Resolution> fields with parameters for my Lumia 920 ('QC8960' and '768x1280', respectively ), but the 0x80070273 error persisted. Then, using the original 'OEMInput.xml' (extracted from firmware .FFU file), I managed to update my Lumia 920 through normal channels (Windows Update).

I noticed that this OEMInput.xml file contains a lot more information, some of it specific to my Lumia 920 variant, like additional keyboard layouts for Latin America and additional references (at <AdditionalFMs> fields) for Nokia and Qualcomm's .XML files. I don't know if this is related to the error, but in my case it worked well after that.

oh, wow that's interesting. I'm curious as if this would work on the 1020 or 928. can't hurt to try, should I put this .xml file into my ffu? Just want to clarify before I go jumping off a bridge

RodrigoRodik

Apr 8, 2021

oh, wow that's interesting. I'm curious as if this would work on the 1020 or 928. can't hurt to try, should I put this .xml file into my ffu? Just want to clarify before I go jumping off a bridge
Hi!

You will extract the "OEMInput.xml" file from the .FFU file and, then, replace the current .xml file that is on your phone today with this extracted file from original firmware.

I made a tutorial to assist in the process of extracting the .xml from .FFU file using the Windows Phone Internals software (see the attachment PDF file).

The website of WPinternals (http://wpinternals.net/) is currently offline, but you can download then, for example, at WaybackMachine's november/2020 snapshot: (https://web.archive.org/web/20201108091904/http://wpinternals.net/)

Attachments

• How to extract OEMInput using Windows Phone Internals.pdf
    481.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Love

DaneGleesak

Oct 26, 2013
Hi!

You will extract the "OEMInput.xml" file from the .FFU file and, then, replace the current .xml file that is on your phone today with this extracted file from original firmware.

I made a tutorial to assist in the process of extracting the .xml from .FFU file using the Windows Phone Internals software (see the attachment PDF file).

The website of WPinternals (http://wpinternals.net/) is currently offline, but you can download then, for example, at WaybackMachine's november/2020 snapshot: (https://web.archive.org/web/20201108091904/http://wpinternals.net/)
I Imagine this would solve my issue of trying to get a developers update 1706 i forget its like 1706-2019 or something like that. will be giving it a shot and see how it goes. Thanks you the man 👌

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi DaneGleesak.

Hi!

Hey guys,

I have a Lumia 920 spoofed as a Lumia 950 XL and it successfully updated to the Creators Update (15063.2). But I am not able to download any of the cumulative updates beyond this in any of the Insider rings. The phone searches for the update but throws an error 0x80070273. I even tried enabling full file system access via Interop tools and clearing the SoftwareDistribution folder just like we do to troubleshoot desktop Windows Update issues but in vain. Any idea on how to fix this error will be much appreciated. Thanks. Here's the screenshot of the error. You can view the screenshot at imgur (dot) com/6KJiFzP

For those who are still waiting for a fix for the update error and don't want to undergo the recovery process, I found a different solution, which doesn't need a recovery operation on the phone.

I tested it on my 1020 and another 925 which were stuck in the CU build .297 with success.
    Keep in mind that the parameters that I will use are specific to these phone models and if you have a different model you need to find the requested parameters specific to your phone model.
    This is an heuristic procedure, tested on a limited number of phones, so use it at your risk, keeping in mind that you could have problems or need to recover your phone loosing all your data, so do before a proper backup.

Let's start.
    The problem appears because during update phase the oeminput.xml file becomes corrupted: as far as I know it happens only for some x20 model, and not for all the users.
    Now we're going to rebuild it...

Go to the following link
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn756630(v=vs.85).aspx
    Copy the content of example file oeminput.xml: i.e. copy the content of the framed zone after the phrase "The following example shows the contents of a sample ProductionOEMInput.xml file"
    Paste in a .txt file which you'll rename and change extension so that it is oeminput.xml. Save it with notepad.
    Now modify the file
    <SOC>{PROCESSOR_NAME}</SOC>
    at the node <SOC>{PROCESSOR_NAME}</SOC> modify {PROCESSOR_NAME} fake parameter in order to have the processor name of your phone: for the 920/925/1020 use QC8960
    at the node <Resolution>480x800</Resolution> instead of 480x800 use the resolution of your phone: for the 920/925/1020 use 768x1280
    in all the nodes related to language <Language>en-US</Language> use the language of your phone: I used for example it-IT because I have the phone in Italian language.
    Save the file.
    Now if you still don't have interop tools installed (but I think you should have if you arrived to CU with an x20 phone model) install it.
    Launch interop tools and then click this device and enable full file system access. Reboot your phone, connect it to a pc with cable: you'll see more directories than usual, because you unlocked also system dirs: be careful not to delete or modify any dir apart from what you find in this guide or you'll risk to damage your phone. If you want to find your usual dirs (docs photos...etc), go to phone\Data\Users\Public. I advise you that after the procedure I couldn't deactivate full file system access, because it continues re-activating in interop tools, maybe there is a way: but you can live with this, because you can find the usual dirs in the path that I specified...
    Now go to phone\windows\imageupdate, make a backup on pc of the current oeminput.xml and overwrite it with the new one.
    At this point in the phone go to settings, update and then search for updates: you should find Fall Creators Update...

Let me know if you have problems or need more informations...
    Good Luck!

p.s. I didn't extensively search on the forum if a similar guide has been already posted, in the case sorry for the duplication.

Thanks to Antonio who has actively participated in the realization of this guide
    Hi.

Steps:
    Hope this helps.
    Have a nice day!
    Hi DaneGleesak.

Hi!

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone