Waiting for stock updates?

Search This thread

eemgee

Dec 27, 2013
Teesside
Hi all, is it worth waiting for the official Oreo update before unlocking?
Will it be a advantage to flash after taking the update, or doesn't it really matter?
I've been putting it off for a while but I'm starting to get board of waiting.

Smeagal192

Jan 25, 2016
Cheshire
Have you read the forum regarding people who are having various issues, oreo is in beta stage at best, so if you want functionality of your phone as it is, then either wait as I am or consider a nougat rom.

Regards Ray

acejavelin

Recognized Contributor
Sep 3, 2009
Lincoln, ND
What is the rush? Is there a problem with your device as it is? Is there some feature of Oreo that can't live without?

Unless you understand the implications of rooting/romming this device, ALL of them including potential issues going back to stock and relocking the bootloader, just stay stock and wait... If you did understand all the implications than you probably wouldn't be asking this question. :)

ugupta100

Jun 28, 2015
Till Motorola releases the oreo update they won't release the kernel source for this device . And Kernel source would be important for stable rom.

Reactions: eemgee

reCoded

Mar 18, 2017
I had this feeling too. I really, really, wanted to be on Oreo because of theming and the new features. I unlocked my phone, installed TWRP, failed, and bricked it. I was able to recover and, well, no more ROMing for me. I'd wait for the stable Oreo ROM. It's worth the wait.

ugupta100

Jun 28, 2015
I had this feeling too. I really, really, wanted to be on Oreo because of theming and the new features. I unlocked my phone, installed TWRP, failed, and bricked it. I was able to recover and, well, no more ROMing for me. I'd wait for the stable Oreo ROM. It's worth the wait.

You are a senior member how you failed?

eemgee

Dec 27, 2013
Teesside
Flashing phones isn't a worry for me, I've done every phone I've had.
All I was asking is, is there any advantage in getting the new bootloader that will come with the stock Oreo.

reCoded

Mar 18, 2017

Just because I'm a senior member doesn't mean I know how to do everything. Jumping from 32-bit ROMs to 64-bit ROMs is much different than with a 32-bit ROM. I can easily install a 32-bit ROM but installing 64-bit TWRP requires extra stuff which I didn't do, which bricked my device.

Last edited:
Reactions: ugupta100

ugupta100

Jun 28, 2015
Just because I'm a senior member doesn't mean I know how to do everything. Jumping from 32-bit ROMs to 64-bit ROMs is much different than with a 32-bit ROM. I can easily install a 32-bit ROM but installing 64-bit TWRP requires extra stuff which I didn't do, which bricked my device.
Thanks for the warning, I'll keep that in mind.

eemgee

Dec 27, 2013
Teesside

Can you expand on this a little?
I thought it was just a matter of flashing the newest version of twrp with 64bit support and finding a 64bit ROM you liked?

reCoded

Mar 18, 2017
I thought it was just a matter of flashing the newest version of twrp with 64bit support and finding a 64bit ROM you liked?

It doesn't work like that since the stock software is 32-bit and the TWRP version is 64-bit. You have to flash a modified boot.bin file (or something like that) to make the software compatible with 64-bit TWRP. I'm not too sure what to do since I couldn't find any tutorials.

Reactions: eemgee

eemgee

Dec 27, 2013
Teesside
It doesn't work like that since the stock software is 32-bit and the TWRP version is 64-bit. You have to flash a modified boot.bin file (or something like that) to make the software compatible with 64-bit TWRP. I'm not too sure what to do since I couldn't find any tutorials.
Well they kept that quiet! I had a look around and wouldn't see anything either.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Till Motorola releases the oreo update they won't release the kernel source for this device . And Kernel source would be important for stable rom.

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone