• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Walmart ONN Android TV

Search This thread

Bastich3169

Mar 6, 2011
Been wanting to tinker with this, wondering if anyone has tried yet, if so could you point me in the right direction as Google, and duck duck haven't yielded any results.

deadman96385

Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Aug 19, 2011
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Been wanting to tinker with this, wondering if anyone has tried yet, if so could you point me in the right direction as Google, and duck duck haven't yielded any results.
Yes it can be unlocked with the standard bootloader unlocking instructions for pixels. We are working on LineageOS for it, currently the repos have already been forked to the primary organization. We are just doing the finishing touches to it before it will go official.

deadman96385

Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Aug 19, 2011
Saint Paul, Minnesota
To expand on this there are a few devices that are very similar so they share the common device tree. Google ADT-3 (Deadpool) and Dynalink TV box (Wade) are using the same board. Onn box is a variant of the board used on those with a few features and hardware removed to cut cost presumably. Everything is sharing a common kernel because amlogic has a unified kernel that supports all their soc's.

Bastich3169

Mar 6, 2011
Thanks for the info. Will that allow root, and backup using twrp? Software is part of equation, I'm working on a hardware piece to allow more storage, but I have to wait on the more savvy software guys like you to cover the ends I can't. You guys rock!!

Reactions: dirtcat

dirtcat

Aug 17, 2021
Hey folks - I've installed Lineage OS "dopinder" for the Walmart Onn Android TV device. Can't run Netflix on it. Ultimately I want YouTube without ads.

Looks like I will need to run Magisk on this thing.

Can anybody help me run Magisk on the standard OS? It would be nice to have Netflix and also to be able to install some kind of ad-free YouTube. Has anybody done this yet? Anybody working on it?

I'm a noob to all this but if anybody would like to help me, I would love to try and get Magisk working.

dirtcat

Aug 17, 2021
For starters, does anybody know where I can get the stock/factory image? I erased mine when I installed Lineage OS on the Onn Android TV UHD device.

Do I need the stock recovery, too?

Cheesethief

Mar 8, 2012
Google Pixel 5a
Can anybody help me run Magisk on the standard OS? It would be nice to have Netflix and also to be able to install some kind of ad-free YouTube. Has anybody done this yet? Anybody working on it?

I'm a noob to all this but if anybody would like to help me, I would love to try and get Magisk working.
No need for rooting or flashing a new ROM. You can easily have ad-free youtube with Smart Tube Next. All you *should* need is the SmartTubeNext apk from github, a USB OTG cable with power, a USB stick, and a file explorer from the play store. Navigate to the USB stick and install the apk. Allow sideloading when it asks you. Log in and enjoy. Netflix should be available on the stock ROM.

This is all assuming the USB port on the ONN is OTG capable, which most streaming sticks have.

shinji257

No need for rooting or flashing a new ROM. You can easily have ad-free youtube with Smart Tube Next. All you *should* need is the SmartTubeNext apk from github, a USB OTG cable with power, a USB stick, and a file explorer from the play store. Navigate to the USB stick and install the apk. Allow sideloading when it asks you. Log in and enjoy. Netflix should be available on the stock ROM.

This is all assuming the USB port on the ONN is OTG capable, which most streaming sticks have.
From my understanding the stick version (for $25) is not OTG capable. The box though (for $30) is OTG capable as I have checked it out myself. You have to use a FAT32 filesystem though otherwise the OS won't read the drive.

skunkd

Jan 6, 2007
Is there a specific section/thread for developement for this box on here? I just picked one up seems pretty sweet for 20 bucks!

Last edited:

seriousneo

Jun 17, 2010
Is there a specific section/thread for developement for this box on here? I just picked one up seems pretty sweet for 20 bucks!

also I’m not seeing prime video in the google play store? Is that something that needs to be sideloaded this device???
For prime video you can sideload the apk. If you want to see development there’s a lineageOS build in the Google tv section

Top Liked Posts