24.4 KB · Views: 8,170
  • getprop.png
    getprop.png
    6.3 KB · Views: 5,793
Last edited:

lynyrd65

Jul 11, 2010
Tulsa
Firstly, My understanding is that what this will do is modify the minimum signal strength the phone will connect to down to -110db. When the phone is connected at this signal (-110db) does data still work sufficiently well or does it drop packets?

Secondly, could this same sort of modification be done to the cdma radio?

Last edited:
Reactions: nicholishen

gokuman56

Mar 19, 2010
N/A
It works sufficiently well, you will not notice a speed drop at all, you will probably get a small speed increase, but your 4G signal strength will increase drastically if you follow the steps. For the CDMA Radio, you can increase 3G speeds, by following these steps:
1. Know the MSL
2. Dial ##3282#
3. Go to multimedia
4. HTTPPD Proxy Port must be 0
5. HTTPPD Proxy Address must be 0.0.0.0

It may be already done if you have a Custom ROM, but this will boost your 3G speed by about .5 mbps, which is pretty good

decalex

Apr 21, 2009
Boston, MA
I'm rooted -- DK28 running Truly Epic (ext4)
When I ##3282#, I get a menu with View and Edit.

When I hit Edit, it asks for MSL (which I enter). Then at the bottom, there's a wimax option, but the options after that don't follow your instructions.

When you say 4G radio has to be on, does it have to be actually connected? I'm in an area where I don't get 4G... I'll try it when I get into range later on.

running_the_dream

Jan 10, 2011
Dub C
@decalex - yeah I think 4g has to be on before you start the process. I'm not sure you'll get any values if not.

@goku- thanks for this thread. I just did it and noticed a pretty substantial increase in my 4g speed. Before the test, I pulled just around 3.9-4.0mbps on speedtes.net. After I did this, I'm getting around 6.5mbps. Big thanks. I'm on my phone or I would send a thanks your way :)

Thx has been sent :)

Last edited:
Reactions: gokuman56

gokuman56

Mar 19, 2010
N/A
I'm rooted -- DK28 running Truly Epic (ext4)
When I ##3282#, I get a menu with View and Edit.

When I hit Edit, it asks for MSL (which I enter). Then at the bottom, there's a wimax option, but the options after that don't follow your instructions.

When you say 4G radio has to be on, does it have to be actually connected? I'm in an area where I don't get 4G... I'll try it when I get into range later on.

Yeah, 4G has to be on, and this hack is for places with spotty coverage. Try it when you get in range and see the difference!

Reactions: decalex

TNTRMSKD

Aug 14, 2008
NYC
Tried and confirmed working (on rooted stock Eclair). Here in NYC/Queens I never see over 4M down, just did this and got 6.5. I can also get 4G in my basement now. Awesome, and much much props.

dsummey30

Jun 20, 2010
Charlotte
hey guys on dk28 rooted stock rom I got my msl and then went to do the ##3282# and then i have view and edit and the only option for wimax is view. When I get in after entering my msl I find the two fields and enter the -110 and then the other number and it doesnt keep the values afterwards. should there be 0's in front like what is there now or is it just -110.

Thanks, guys for any help you can give.

Hey guys got it working had to reenter the numbers again back to back didnt take the 1st time just disconnected 4g so just tried it again and they took the 2nd time. so try that if you notice it not taking the values at 1st just put them right back in.

Last edited:

jordan2333

Nov 18, 2010
I think I know what you mean. Just type getprop again then hit enter from that black screen and you'll see a ton of lines come up. The msl is located on one of those lines

when i hit enter from the black screen all it does it bring up another little dollar sign.There are no lines at all.I don't know what im doing wrong.

running_the_dream

Jan 10, 2011
Dub C
Maybe goku knows. Are you using a virtual keyboard or the physical? I used the physical when I did it. Not that it will definitely work but maybe try both (virtual and physical)?

when i hit enter from the black screen all it does it bring up another little dollar sign.There are no lines at all.I don't know what im doing wrong.

muyoso

Oct 23, 2007
So I am assuming that this will negatively effect the battery life, but only if you leave the 4g radio on in either a low 4g signal area or a no 4g signal area, right? Once you are connected, this should have negligible effects on battery life. Or am I mistaken?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Cleaned it up a little, heres some detailed instructions. Hope it helps.

Start this out with 4g and gps on, nothing else. MAKE SURE WIFI is not ON.

1. Search for connectbot from market, install, click Open.
    2. click the little down arrow next to ssh and choose local
    3. for nickname, click once in that field, then enter just two letters (any letters are fine) and hit enter.
    4. open your physical keyboard for this one. type getprop (space) (hold FN key and hit the D key to make the | char) (space) grep ril and hit enter
    so your command should look like the following :

getprop | grep ril

ALL LOWER CASE GUYS !!

5. Find ril.MSL and write down that number.
    6. Type exit and hit enter. Close physical keyboard if still open.
    7. Choose yes to disconnect the session.

Now to do the fix :

1. hit phone button to get dialpad up.
    2. Dial ##3282#
    3. click view, click WiMAX, click in field then enter MSL (the number you got from ril.MSL on step 5 above), then hit OK.
    Note: 4G radio must be on.
    4. A message should appear that says WiMAX_CFG is OK! If it says invalid lock code, then you dont have the right MSL number written down, or something else is wrong. if it says the OK message, continue.
    5. Scroll down to extensions and click it once.
    6. Hold EntyRX for 1 second. A menu should popup, click Write Extension
    7. Click the field, then write in -110 and click save (The Lower the weaker the signal can be for the phone to connect.)
    8. Hold EntryCINR for 1 second. A menu should popup, click Write Extension.
    9. Click the field, then write in 0004 and hit save.
    10. Hold Scan Retries for 1 second. A menu should popup, click Write Extension.
    11. Click the field, then write in 00015 and hit save.
    12. Hold ScanAttemptTimeOut for 1 second. A menu should popup, click Write Extension.
    13. Click the field, type 0002 and hit save.

Now for the 3G port fix :

NOTE : On Step 4 BE CAREFUL. If you click Advanced instead of Others here, the Service Menu should come up. DONT DO THIS. When you hit back arrow to back out it will reboot your phone, at least it did every time for me.

1. From where you were in step 13, click the back arrow key 3 times. It should take you to Data Programming and you should see View and Edit menus.
    2. Click the Edit menu
    3. Click in field then enter MSL (the number you got from ril.MSL on the first set of instructions step 5 above), then hit OK.
    4. Click Others
    5. Click Multimedia
    6. Click HTTPPD Proxy Address. (write down what was there before just in case). Backspace over it and type in 0.0.0.0 and hit ok
    7. Click HTTPD Proxy Port. (write down what was there before just in case). backspace over it and type 0 and hit OK

Finally, click back arrow four times which should take you to dialpad.
    Reboot or enable and disable airplane mode from Settings > Wireless and network menu. If you want to reboot, you can use Quickboot here if you want.
    I've done it both ways and I think reboot is best, i seem to get the best bars after a full reboot when doing this.

NOW, my results, findings, tests, etc.

I played around a bit with the number on EntyRX since when I checked mine it was set to -00084. I moved it all the way to -00110 and around a few times to -00060 and others. Seemed to me -00094 was best for me. You also dont have to type all the extra zeros, but you do have to type the - sign in for the entyRX.
    See these threads for more details :
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=8266721&postcount=79
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=833332

My settings are as follows :
    ScanAttemptTimeOut 00005
    ScanRetries 00120
    IdleSleep 00300
    EntyRX -00094
    EntryCINR 0004
    EntryDelay 00001
    ExitCINR 00008
    ExitDelay 00300

I also zeroed out the RTSP proxy address and port as well, seemed to work better for me.

When you come back in, before doing speedtest, I recommend going to task manager in applications and clicking Ram Manager, then clicking Level 2 and clicking clear memory. repeat this 3 times.

then hit home button. go back into applications and do speedtest.

Your speeds should return fast speeds.

One other note, if you are bouncing 4g disconnected on and off because you are in a spotty area, turn off 4g before testing 3g with speedtest. do airplane or reboot and ram manager clear above before the test, then see what you get for speeds.

Last, I checked my PRL and it is 60674. I am using Bonsai 1.1.4.
    If you figured this out on your own, props. But, I do have an inkling you got a few ideas from my thread here, since you're doing the exact same thing ;)

Don't mean to be an ass, but if my guide did help you, at least a little mention would be nice. Thanks!
    From my phone (kept these written down just in case I needed to switch back myself)

Entry RX: -00089
    Entry CINR: 00004

Scan Retries: 00120
    Scan Attempt Timeout: 00002
    It works sufficiently well, you will not notice a speed drop at all, you will probably get a small speed increase, but your 4G signal strength will increase drastically if you follow the steps. For the CDMA Radio, you can increase 3G speeds, by following these steps:
    1. Know the MSL
    2. Dial ##3282#
    3. Go to multimedia
    4. HTTPPD Proxy Port must be 0
    5. HTTPPD Proxy Address must be 0.0.0.0

It may be already done if you have a Custom ROM, but this will boost your 3G speed by about .5 mbps, which is pretty good
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone