Want to improve battey life on Pixel? Try this

Search This thread

webvan

May 20, 2008
Can confirm it shows on my OnePlus 6 running the latest Oxygen (9.0.4). Turned it off there, battery hasn't been as good since 9.0.4 was released, wonder if it's a 'new' deal where it's turning on with enabling Dev Options. Only have a couple of days before my 3XL arrives, though, so doubt I'll *really* have a chance to see a difference.

Found that setting activated on my Nokia 8 running Pie so I deactivated it!

AndroidGX

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
★ Montpellier ★
Just a quick report : after checking for few days, I can say turning off this option is useless. It has absolutely no battery impact at all.
But I remarked that the double-tap to wake up screen is draining battery like hell. I think it is the same with the option of waking the device once in hand.
Better to disable full AOD options then for best battery experience :good:

qualitymove13

Jan 9, 2011
Omaha, NE
Just a quick report : after checking for few days, I can say turning off this option is useless. It has absolutely no battery impact at all.
But I remarked that the double-tap to wake up screen is draining battery like hell. I think it is the same with the option of waking the device once in hand.
Better to disable full AOD options then for best battery experience :good:

Yeah, I saw no discernible change in battery life either. The search continues....

Archer

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Senior Mod
Jul 9, 2008
Manchester
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Can confirm it shows on my OnePlus 6 running the latest Oxygen (9.0.4). Turned it off there, battery hasn't been as good since 9.0.4 was released, wonder if it's a 'new' deal where it's turning on with enabling Dev Options. Only have a couple of days before my 3XL arrives, though, so doubt I'll *really* have a chance to see a difference.

I can confirm it's on the 6T and enabled with Developer Options (no surprise though, if it's on the 6). My 3XL turns up this week too so I'm pretty much lurking the hell out of these forums at the minute :D

jimv1983

Feb 28, 2011
Benicia, CA
I’ve had this for days and I can’t say it’s actually helping much . Ambient display drain is heavy; googles pie battery optimizations are poor on stand by mode. The biggest myth of all time is stock android is light hence the battery should last longer than a skinned version, this theory is dog sh$t. Google has marketed its battery savings like no other oem with a bunch of different names through out history such as project volta, doze, super doze , adaptive battery etc lol

It's absolutely true. Especially when compared to Samsung phones. Look at the battery life of a brand new Galaxy S10+ compared to something like a Pixel 2 XL when it was new. The S10+ has a 2 generations newer processor and a 16% bigger battery. That means a new S10+ should have much better battery life than a Pixel 2 XL did when it was new. In reality that isn't the case. The real world battery life of the two is about the same. That's because of Samsung software.

---------- Post added at 09:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 AM ----------

I'm a big stock Android fan but I have to say the battery life on this phone is mediocre at best. I get like 5.5h to 6h SOT. Lately more like 5.5h when drained to 1%.

Is funny I've owned just about every Nexus phone and the pixel 2 XL and this 3XL and I can't say any of them have been stellar or amazing on battery life. Whereas a Samsung Galaxy phone, the larger plus models always seem to give great battery life, but I'm no Lagwiz fan.

I have a Pixel 2 XL and I had excellent battery life for the first 3 months. It dropped noticably for the next 3 monthly updates. Samsung software is a huge battery hog.

I haven't had this good a battery life in on any phone (and I feel there is room for improvement because memory killer eating cycles unnecessarily killing processes when its not really truly under pressure, only to restart them few milliseconds later, is a big waste of CPU and memory bandwidth).

With my light use, my phone lasts me at least 3 days, many times 4 days. For the screenshots below, over 4 days, I had cumulative call time of ~30mins, whatsapp ~1hr, sudoku ~2hr, slack ~1hr, gmail ~1hr, some youtube videos, many google searches, firefox...i.e. very light use. I accumulated ~6hrs of SOT.

Its been cloudy off late, so, auto-brightness keeps the slider close to 40% or so. I also use dark theme (pitch black) on my 3XL. I also believe configuring swap helps with LMKD induced process restarts and with memory leaks (all leaked memory gets swapped out). I also only charge upto 93%, so charge to charge battery longevity variation is reduced.

I am pretty confidant that if I used my phone continuously non-stop, I can easily last 10-12 hours.

I wouldn't can that light usage. That battery life seems too good to be true. Even when my Pixel 2 XL was new the absolute best I could do was 9% battery drop per hour with similar usage to yours and that's with a lower resolution and bigger battery compared to the Pixel 3 XL. Even if you managed the same battery drain rate that's still 54% battery drained in the 6 hours of usage (which would be impressive).

Nalub

Aug 5, 2017
Since the upgrade to Android 11 the battery is significantly worse, the screen on time shortened with 1 hour. I tried this and unfortunately it's not effective

Edit: Pixel 3 XL

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    settings -> system -> Advanced -> Developer Options -> System Tracing. Uncheck the Trace Debuggable Applications. Enjoy about 15% better battery life.

Make sure to have a before and after record of your battery usage, with same set of apps, and same pattern of usage over couple of charges (like 3-4 days), to see how this affects your battery life. So, don't just rush to make the change, measure it. Your numbers may vary compared to mine.
    I have 2 devices with Android 8, one with 7 and one with 6. I looked at developer options, and while there were somewhat similar options, I only saw this setting on the Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL. I assume it is on other devices with Android 9 as well.

Yeah, I meant that it makes no sense it is enabled by default with Developer Options being turned on.
    I've been turning on dev options hundreds of times a year since my XDA join date.

This must be something fairly new.

I can see no reason for any non-developer to leave this enabled.

Thank you for pointing it out, OP. :good:

I have 2 devices with Android 8, one with 7 and one with 6. I looked at developer options, and while there were somewhat similar options, I only saw this setting on the Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL. I assume it is on other devices with Android 9 as well.
    I’ve had this for days and I can’t say it’s actually helping much . Ambient display drain is heavy; googles pie battery optimizations are poor on stand by mode. The biggest myth of all time is stock android is light hence the battery should last longer than a skinned version, this theory is dog sh$t. Google has marketed its battery savings like no other oem with a bunch of different names through out history such as project volta, doze, super doze , adaptive battery etc lol
    I don't think it is. I think once you enable developer options it gets turned on. So for people like me who maybe don't want it on, but enable developer options just to hide the notch, this is good to know it's on, and can turn it off.

Yeah, I meant that it makes no sense it is enabled by default with Developer Options being turned on.
    I've been turning on dev options hundreds of times a year since my XDA join date.

This must be something fairly new.

I can see no reason for any non-developer to leave this enabled.

Thank you for pointing it out, OP. :good: