Want to restore my phone to factory but afraid of bricking given circumstances

Search This thread

dvandam

Aug 11, 2010
Android Version: 4.4.2
Rom: XXUGNG2-SHOstock-i-v8.1
Bootloader: I337UCUAMDL
Recovery: TWRP 2.5.0.2

I've been installing Custom ROMs for a while on this phone and the previous phones I've had (Nexus One, Galaxy Skyrocket.) My S4 hasn't had issues installing them until more developers adopted Aurora Installers and now any ROMs that use them won't work. My phone goes into a boot loop and I need to restore my previous Nandroid backup. I thought that my TWRP might be the cause, but it looks like nowadays the only way to update TWRP is through the GOO Manager. Unfortunately for whatever reason that doesn't work properly and I can't figure out how to get it in any other way. So for a while I had this older ROM installed but now that we're well into Lollipop I decided to try another ROM (GOLDENEYE|XXUHOD7 LOLLiPOP TW|5.1.15), but again it had Aurora and failed, and this time it looks like it messed up my bootloader because now I have the unlock icon whenever I turn on my phone (I don't care much about that because my phone is well outside of warranty at this point, but I'd prefer it be removed)

So I was considering just using ODIN to revert all the way back and starting from scratch, but it looks like my phone will be bricked. So basically I'm at a standstill because I obviously don't want to brick my phone, but at the same time I'm not satisfied with my current ROM since it's quite long in the tooth and isn't even Lollipop based. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

DeadlySin9

Sep 2, 2012

I've been installing Custom ROMs for a while on this phone and the previous phones I've had (Nexus One, Galaxy Skyrocket.) My S4 hasn't had issues installing them until more developers adopted Aurora Installers and now any ROMs that use them won't work. My phone goes into a boot loop and I need to restore my previous Nandroid backup. I thought that my TWRP might be the cause, but it looks like nowadays the only way to update TWRP is through the GOO Manager. Unfortunately for whatever reason that doesn't work properly and I can't figure out how to get it in any other way. So for a while I had this older ROM installed but now that we're well into Lollipop I decided to try another ROM (GOLDENEYE|XXUHOD7 LOLLiPOP TW|5.1.15), but again it had Aurora and failed, and this time it looks like it messed up my bootloader because now I have the unlock icon whenever I turn on my phone (I don't care much about that because my phone is well outside of warranty at this point, but I'd prefer it be removed)

So I was considering just using ODIN to revert all the way back and starting from scratch, but it looks like my phone will be bricked. So basically I'm at a standstill because I obviously don't want to brick my phone, but at the same time I'm not satisfied with my current ROM since it's quite long in the tooth and isn't even Lollipop based. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

There are flashable zips of TWRP floating around to update and the TWRP thread in our section says to use the TWRP Manager app on the Play Store. As far as using ODIN, you won't be bricked. The unlock icon shows up when it detects the system files aren't stock/root is in place. Your bootloader should still be in tact, and if you can still boot into recovery that confirms it. Either way, you just need to use a different method to update TWRP and you should be fine.

Reactions: dvandam

dvandam

Aug 11, 2010
Well I feel like a f-ing nimrod..

I failed to mention in my description that when I first tried to install, not only did I get the Unlock icon, but I got the "Software not authorized by AT&T..." error message that prevented me from doing anything. However, I thought this was related to my phone being carrier locked. I found out later that my phone was unlocked a while ago so that wasn't it. Had I looked more closely at the error I would have seen that it was a Kernel error. Turns out I had to install a LOKI'd Kernel. Not exactly sure why, but that was the only one that worked. Now the new ROM is installed and I'm restoring my apps now.

If nothing else, I got my TWRP updated finally, so I like to think this wasn't all for naught. Thanks for the insight anyways. This was easier than doing an ODIN back and forth.

spac3c4t512

Aug 16, 2014
Smithville
This is because you're on the MDL bootloader. You need to search the forums for your phone in regard to the MDL bootloader and loki'd ROMs. When you see the "software not authorized. .." message, it just means you need to flash a loki'd kernel for your device. Search for Jeeboo's Recovery and Kernel and you should be right a rain. Good luck.

Edit: I was half awake when I tried to answer your question, and somehow missed that you had discovered the loki'd kernel already. The reason for this is because the MDL bootloader is susceptible to the loki exploit, which for all intents and purposes is the equivalent of unlocking the bootloader. I've been using Jeeboo's recovery for a year or so and never had an issue with any ROM I tried. The kernel cones in handy for those that need a loki'd kernel. There's a ton of easy to find info in the forums to help you get a better understanding of the MDL and how loki applies to it.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

TIA

There are flashable zips of TWRP floating around to update and the TWRP thread in our section says to use the TWRP Manager app on the Play Store. As far as using ODIN, you won't be bricked. The unlock icon shows up when it detects the system files aren't stock/root is in place. Your bootloader should still be in tact, and if you can still boot into recovery that confirms it. Either way, you just need to use a different method to update TWRP and you should be fine.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone