[WARINING] DO NOT install a recovery from 4.1 on a 4.2 tablet!

Search This thread

joelalmeidaptg

May 25, 2012
Guys, I think this post is needed and probably should be sticked on all TF300T forums. I saw a lot of people bricked their tablets for good on Q&A because they didn't read all the info or were just careless. So, if you are on 4.2.1 firmware version, or thinking about upgrading, read this info carefully!

If your tablet has 4.2.1 Android version from Asus, DO NOT FLASH A RECOVERY THAT WAS ACTUALLY MADE FOR 4.1 TABLETS! You will end up on a PERMANENT BRICK with no solution until now. You won't be able to use fastboot ever again. You won't be able to flash anything ever again. You will be stuck with a bricked tablet!

Older ROMs won't work with the new bootloader, such as CM10.1 and ParanoidAndroid ! READ THE ROM THREAD AND ENSURE IT SAYS IT WORKS ON A 4.2 BOOTLOADER! If you are unsure, then READ THE THREAD ANSWERS, ASK AND SEARCH! Five minutes of search can save you from ruin your tablet.

OLDER KERNELS WON'T WORK ON THE NEW BOOTLOADER!! Don't even try to flash TF700T ones!!

If you are looking for a Recovery for a 4.2.1 bootloader (and a complete guide for updating), read this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2187982 Don't do it with any other tutorial: they are for 4.1 bootloaders!

STAY AWAY FROM CWM FOR NOW!

If you don't want to download TWRP from the post above and want to do it from the official TWRP website ensure that you use the correct version for your bootloader! Any other one will brick your tablet! Read the list below:

Last edited:

LucentW

Mar 25, 2013
zebes.info
There is NO CONFIRMED WAY FOR DOWNGRADING, so if you want to upgrade to 4.2.1, keep in mind that you may never be able to return to 4.1 bootloader.

Just tried downloading the oldest update image from ASUS' official website and flashing it manually via fastboot, I managed to downgrade to 4.1.1 and flash recovery-jb.img without any mounting/bootloop issue whatsoever.

You just need to unpack the official zip, get the blob and flash it inside the "staging" partition. The tablet will repartition the whole NAND and reinstall 4.1.1. (obviously after flashing you need to wipe /data to prevent bootloops -- /emmc will be formatted while flashing)

joelalmeidaptg

May 25, 2012
Just tried downloading the oldest update image from ASUS' official website and flashing it manually via fastboot, I managed to downgrade to 4.1.1 and flash recovery-jb.img without any mounting/bootloop issue whatsoever.

You just need to unpack the official zip, get the blob and flash it inside the "staging" partition. The tablet will repartition the whole NAND and reinstall 4.1.1. (obviously after flashing you need to wipe /data to prevent bootloops -- /emmc will be formatted while flashing)

Well, didn't know that ;) I'm removing that part from the post

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using CROMI

Reactions: okdac

okdac

Nov 4, 2009
PARIS
Hi all

Just a fact : I managed to install the CWMrecovery over the Official Asus update 4.2.1. I'm not sure, but I think the issue is with TWRP. My 64 Go ext.SD became unstable (had to reformat it via Gparted) and the whole system too...
Now I'm back on a "classical" recovery, no root, no unlock, official 4.2.1 Asus and everything is smooth so far...i'll let you know.
Narrow escape, I must say...

Joel, you're the man : you're right to prevent everyone from a catastrophy. Thanks.

Okdac

Last edited:

sbdags

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 24, 2007
Kenilworth, Coventry
OnePlus 9 Pro
Wow.....So many people bricking their TF300s. :eek: Q&A section is like walking into A&E.....

People need to stop, read and flash after reading again....

It's a real shame. I wish we could help. There are so many threads in there where the answer is sorry, you are bricked because you didn't do your research.....:(

joelalmeidaptg

May 25, 2012
Wow.....So many people bricking their TF300s. :eek: Q&A section is like walking into A&E.....

People need to stop, read and flash after reading again....

It's a real shame. I wish we could help. There are so many threads in there where the answer is sorry, you are bricked because you didn't do your research.....:(

Yeah, Q&A is like a "brick sanctuary"... Poor creatures lol

kaos420

Dec 21, 2007
dantes inferno
part of the reason i haven't done mine. until we get a o.c kernel its not worth it i have o.c on cm10.1 with 4.2.2 . not worth the plunge until then . once we get source and sd does his magic. ill do it. but i feel like ive read the thread so much i see it in my sleep.lol

Sent From My Unlocked & Rooted 4.2.2 Android Powered []D [] []V[] []D TF300T

wetbiker7

Aug 12, 2011
I'm glad you made this thread Joel. Hopefully people will take the time to actually read because It will definitely help them out.

I've decided to revert back to CROMI 3.3 for now. Everything works for me plus I still have the option to change ROMs and overclock the kernel.

Hopefully an OC Kernel will be released soon.

Sent from my LG-LG855 using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2

Winter Is Coming

May 11, 2012
Houston, TX
Unbelievable!!!

I just went to stock 4.2 and was in the process of fastbooting the new TWRP recovery (for 4.2) onto my tablet. I flashed recovery and then entered the reboot command. Just then, I noticed I was in the wrong folder and I flashed the wrong twrp.blob file - the old one!! I panicked and unplugged immediately (about 10 seconds after the reboot command was entered). I didn't know what to do then, so I chose the wipe data option on the fastboot protocol screen.

Now I'm stuck on the ASUS screen - the one that says "The Device is Unlocked" in the top left. If I hold power and volume down it reboots right back to this screen - not able to get to the fastboot protocol screen. I'm pretty sure I'm bricked. Can someone confirm if this is the case? Is there anyway out of this mess?

So mad at myself right now...

joelalmeidaptg

May 25, 2012
Unbelievable!!!

I just went to stock 4.2 and was in the process of fastbooting the new TWRP recovery (for 4.2) onto my tablet. I flashed recovery and then entered the reboot command. Just then, I noticed I was in the wrong folder and I flashed the wrong twrp.blob file - the old one!! I panicked and unplugged immediately (about 10 seconds after the reboot command was entered). I didn't know what to do then, so I chose the wipe data option on the fastboot protocol screen.

Now I'm stuck on the ASUS screen - the one that says "The Device is Unlocked" in the top left. If I hold power and volume down it reboots right back to this screen - not able to get to the fastboot protocol screen. I'm pretty sure I'm bricked. Can someone confirm if this is the case? Is there anyway out of this mess?

So mad at myself right now...

Yup, you are... :( I think only Asus can fix it now :'(

Hey could you please try something? There is a reset spot on our tablet, bellow the SD card thing. Use a paper clip or something to click on it and tell me if that helped

Last edited:

Winter Is Coming

May 11, 2012
Houston, TX
Good idea on the reset button, but it did not help in this case. After pressing the button with a paperclip the screen would go black for ~3 seconds and then go right back to the ASUS screen. I tried again to get into fastboot mode, but no dice. This thing is toast! I guess I'll have to RMA this brick.

Folks, please don't be careless like me and make sure you flash the correct recovery files.

joelalmeidaptg

May 25, 2012
Good idea on the reset button, but it did not help in this case. After pressing the button with a paperclip the screen would go black for ~3 seconds and then go right back to the ASUS screen. I tried again to get into fastboot mode, but no dice. This thing is toast! I guess I'll have to RMA this brick.

Folks, please don't be careless like me and make sure you flash the correct recovery files.

Well, now we know that the reset button is useless... :( Bad luck for you man...

omidz

May 10, 2011
Tehran
Well...I actually tried to flash old ROMs a good number o times but it didn't bricked my tab! Thanks for warning though :)

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk HD

ocapad

Jan 2, 2013
I didnt get bricked doing this , Why ?

Guys, I think this post is needed and probably should be sticked on all TF300T forums. I saw a lot of people bricked their tablets for good on Q&A because they didn't read all the info or were just careless. So, if you are on 4.2.1 firmware version, or thinking about upgrading, read this info carefully!

If your tablet has 4.2.1 Android version from Asus, DO NOT FLASH A RECOVERY THAT WAS ACTUALLY MADE FOR 4.1 TABLETS! You will end up on a PERMANENT BRICK with no solution until now. You won't be able to use fastboot ever again. You won't be able to flash anything ever again. You will be stuck with a bricked tablet!

Older ROMs won't work with the new bootloader, such as CM10.1 and ParanoidAndroid ! READ THE ROM THREAD AND ENSURE IT SAYS IT WORKS ON A 4.2 BOOTLOADER! If you are unsure, then READ THE THREAD ANSWERS, ASK AND SEARCH! Five minutes of search can save you from ruin your tablet.

OLDER KERNELS WON'T WORK ON THE NEW BOOTLOADER!! Don't even try to flash TF700T ones!!

If you are looking for a Recovery for a 4.2.1 bootloader (and a complete guide for updating), read this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2187982

Here you have a list of ROMs that are compatible with the new bootloader and are safe to flash once you are on 4.2.1 firmware:

I hope I was clear enough :p

Ive instaled twrp 2.4.4.0 In my tf300 with android 4.2.1 and it worked but it not mount any directory , so i cant instal any rom . Next i found a custom twrp recovery and it mount all but i try to instal PA from aospa and it not boots , so i reinstal OTA with any problem .

sbdags

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 24, 2007
Kenilworth, Coventry
OnePlus 9 Pro
Ive instaled twrp 2.4.4.0 In my tf300 with android 4.2.1 and it worked but it not mount any directory , so i cant instal any rom . Next i found a custom twrp recovery and it mount all but i try to instal PA from aospa and it not boots , so i reinstal OTA with any problem .

Where does it say you can install PA above? You must be on the 4.1.1 bootloader for PA. There are only 2 roms currently compatible with the 4.2.1 bootloader as it says above.......

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

If you are looking for a Recovery for a 4.2.1 bootloader (and a complete guide for updating), read this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2187982 Don't do it with any other tutorial: they are for 4.1 bootloaders!

If you don't want to download TWRP from the post above and want to do it from the official TWRP website ensure that you use the correct version for your bootloader! Any other one will brick your tablet! Read the list below:
    There is NO CONFIRMED WAY FOR DOWNGRADING, so if you want to upgrade to 4.2.1, keep in mind that you may never be able to return to 4.1 bootloader.

Well, didn't know that ;) I'm removing that part from the post

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using CROMI