• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

General Warning about the MSM tool

Search This thread

avid_droid

Aug 24, 2019
Maui,Hawaii
OnePlus 9
Clearly is misleading because he doesn't put T-Mobile in the thread title.

I'd gladly wait up to 2 weeks to get a device that has timely updates and easily has up-to-date development..
Well, last oneplus devidlce I had was the Op7pro and updates weren't a big thing since I flashed that one over to AA. It'll be some time before we can do that but it's worth the wait.

craznazn

Nov 12, 2009
OnePlus 8T
OnePlus 9 Pro

I'd gladly wait up to 2 weeks to get a device that has timely updates and easily has up-to-date development..
It's not misleading, because ANY device where you modify a partition that is not usually touched my the MSM tool can result in a hard brick if it's checked by avb

craznazn

Nov 12, 2009
OnePlus 8T
OnePlus 9 Pro
@craznazn , it's only if you edit partitions correct? My unlock token should be here in a few days and plan on only rooting for a couple apps. This won't affect my re-locking would it?
Rooting only touches the boot partition and that's fine. Even flashing AA/BA/DA is fine because all of those partitions will just get overwritten by the MSM. Things only start to get dicey when you start messing with param, persist, and the likes.

drozd128

Apr 14, 2021
Rooting only touches the boot partition and that's fine. Even flashing AA/BA/DA is fine because all of those partitions will just get overwritten by the MSM. Things only start to get dicey when you start messing with param, persist, and the likes.
Just theoretical question: would flashing the device to something else like LineageOS (if there was working version) help? Or is the partitions check on HW/FW level?

dubedollars

May 25, 2014
Might be a good idea to update the thread title as it's misleading. Makes it look like the normal MSM tool is going F someone's normal variant device. Most people don't have the crappy T-Mobile variant. I understand saving a quick Buck is important though.
Idk how you save a quick buck with the T-Mobile variant when it's the same price.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Might be a good idea to update the thread title as it's misleading. Makes it look like the normal MSM tool is going F someone's normal variant device. Most people don't have the crappy T-Mobile variant. I understand saving a quick Buck is important though.
    Don't understand when people say "save a quick buck on Tmo," when it's exactly the same $1069 right across. It's about getting it in hand instead of waiting for shipping. And the thread is not misleading as it is for the 2127 which is the Tmo variant but it doesn't say that haha

It's not misleading, because ANY device where you modify a partition that is not usually touched my the MSM tool can result in a hard brick if it's checked by avb
    @craznazn , it's only if you edit partitions correct? My unlock token should be here in a few days and plan on only rooting for a couple apps. This won't affect my re-locking would it?
    Is this the Camera app from APKmirror? The one that you'd have to move to... privapp, I think? Because they failed to sign it correctly?
    Yes. Root is needed.
    Don't understand when people say "save a quick buck on Tmo," when it's exactly the same $1069 right across. It's about getting it in hand instead of waiting for shipping. And the thread is not misleading as it is for the 2127 which is the Tmo variant but it doesn't say that haha