[WARNING] att i747 and OTA 4.3

Search This thread

norbarb

Account currently disabled
Dec 22, 2011
Just let everybody know... If you update to 4.3 by OTA DO NOT try ODIN back to 4.1.x this will BRICK your phone. There is not knowing way yet to downgrate back. Kies are not working too. If you update rooting you phone is litte complicated and some developers working on safe root metod. If you did not upgrate, HOLD ON antil we know more about last 4.3 OTA update.

Just warning to all. There so many people lost they phones.

Last edited:

spensa

Sep 30, 2012
sofia
Just let everybody know... If you update to 4.3 by OTA DO NOT try ODIN back to 4.1.x this will BRICK your phone. There is not knowing way yet to downgrate back. Kies are not working too. If you update rooting you phone is litte complicated and some developers working on safe root metod. If you do not upgrate HOLD ON antil we know more about last 4.3 OTA update.

Just warnning to all. There so many people lost they phones.

but already it BRICK how to fix it

Reactions: kafepuya

shortydoggg

Apr 11, 2011
Yeah, the only people who should be taking the update are the ones who have never rooted the phone, and never plan on rooting. If you even have a .001% thought about rooting, you should hold off and wait for a workable solution to this. DON'T DECIDE TODAY THAT "WELL I'LL BE OK WITHOUT ROOT" JUST TO TAKE THIS UPDATE, AND THEN IN A COUPLE OF WEEKS, YOU CHANGE YOUR MIND BECAUSE YOU MISS YOUR ROOT.

Also if you try to root this latest OTA stock Rom and your phone gets stuck, then you might be stuck for a while, as there is not a proven way yet to fix it. As has been shown in some of the other theads, there is no way to downgrade it to a working state, and there is no official software (from Kies) to flash over it with. I'm still waiting to hear that someone was able to flash a custom Rom, as this has not yet been confirmed either.

Reactions: norbarb and spensa

indymx

Jan 17, 2009
Indianapolis, IN
I'm still waiting to hear that someone was able to flash a custom Rom, as this has not yet been confirmed either.

CF Autoroot has been reported to work, however, I'm with you, until I know for sure I can install CM 11, I'm avoiding this update like its got herpes..

I like some of the TW stuff, but to not be able to custom ROM it after would really piss me off.

ra4013

Oct 13, 2010
What makes 4.3 worth updating to. IE does it still have multi window or anything upgrade worthy besides locked boot loader?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747

ra4013

Oct 13, 2010
But other than working with a Bluetooth watch, what's the advantage of updating?

ConeyKiller

Feb 23, 2011
I'm still on 4.1.1 I could never get the 4.1.2 update to install. Kept saying I was missing apks because I debloated. Being first isn't always best. :) lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

N

Nabbu

Just let everybody know... If you update to 4.3 by OTA DO NOT try ODIN back to 4.1.x this will BRICK your phone. There is not knowing way yet to downgrate back. Kies are not working too. If you update rooting you phone is litte complicated and some developers working on safe root metod. If you did not upgrate, HOLD ON antil we know more about last 4.3 OTA update.

Oh now I hear about this...
I hate Samsung now for creating all of these extra blocking "features"...
Why would they want to make the phone brick when trying to downgrade from 4.3?
That sounds like something Apple would do but I expected more from Samsung.
I guess now I can't send it in for my scheduled warranty. sigh.

norbarb

Account currently disabled
Dec 22, 2011
Oh now I hear about this...
I hate Samsung now for creating all of these extra blocking "features"...
Why would they want to make the phone brick when trying to downgrade from 4.3?
That sounds like something Apple would do but I expected more from Samsung.
I guess now I can't send it in for my scheduled warranty. sigh.

That what I think Samsung will loose some more clients

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using XDA Premium HD app

N

Nabbu

Just curious but why would you want to go back?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using xda app-developers app

Like the other guy said Nandroids, ROMs, etc. Plus the bugs are really immense on 4.3. The number one reason is because it's my phone and I want to run 4.1.2 not 4.3 but unfortunately it soft bricked when I tried to downgrade. I don't know why samsung added these features that are causing bricks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

As of right now you can't reset it. I'm sure someone will figure out how to eventually but right now I'm not aware of anyone who can defeat the "warranty bit" yet.

You might have to source another repair facility aside from Samsung. I cannot guarantee they will deny warranty repairs on your device, however that is one of the purposes of KNOX (to save them money on warranty repairs after the device has been modified).

No one can reset it. Even Chainfire said it was not possible. This is more like a fuse than a breaker. Once blown, you can't reset it.
    Yeah, the only people who should be taking the update are the ones who have never rooted the phone, and never plan on rooting. If you even have a .001% thought about rooting, you should hold off and wait for a workable solution to this. DON'T DECIDE TODAY THAT "WELL I'LL BE OK WITHOUT ROOT" JUST TO TAKE THIS UPDATE, AND THEN IN A COUPLE OF WEEKS, YOU CHANGE YOUR MIND BECAUSE YOU MISS YOUR ROOT.

Also if you try to root this latest OTA stock Rom and your phone gets stuck, then you might be stuck for a while, as there is not a proven way yet to fix it. As has been shown in some of the other theads, there is no way to downgrade it to a working state, and there is no official software (from Kies) to flash over it with. I'm still waiting to hear that someone was able to flash a custom Rom, as this has not yet been confirmed either.
    But other than working with a Bluetooth watch, what's the advantage of updating?

It's much smoother in my opinion. App ops for permissions, lock screen widgets, standard 4.3 stuff. I like the upgrade, only miss root for AdAway and Android firewall.

Oh, that's the CM11 one, I saw it.

I managed to get cwm recovery and root on the 4.3 OTA. Can I flash a different ROM from there? Or this whole issue with the bootloader would brick my device?

I successfully used this:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2539313