[WARNING] Do not partition SD card using ClockworkMod | FIXED in 3.0.2.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

geek7899

Dec 11, 2010
Wow... Never used partitions on SDcard , but thanks for the warning.

I'm curious how the device bricked while partitioning SDCARD, though, as I don't see the connection!

Beats me too....

Bricked my first handset yesterday... :( Only response from handset was this error message when plugged into Windows 7. Error came up as: QHSUSB_DLOAD No Driver found

I sent an e-mail to Koush explaining everything and the reply I got was:

Hrm, partition SD card may be broken on the Desire HD. Can you try NBHing it?

Koush

I still have nfi what NBHing is :p

My good luck; that the carrier replaced it under warranty. Reason given was that the mainboard is fried.
Wondering if any other users managed to have it replaced under warranty and what the reason given was ?
I'm sure the expensive paperweights would be an excellent tool for Koush or others to study what happened !!

Anyway, lets have another go and see where it takes us :p fingers crossed

MegaHz

Jul 27, 2005
www.megahz.org
Beats me too....

Bricked my first handset yesterday... :( Only response from handset was this error message when plugged into Windows 7. Error came up as: QHSUSB_DLOAD No Driver found

I sent an e-mail to Koush explaining everything and the reply I got was:

Hrm, partition SD card may be broken on the Desire HD. Can you try NBHing it?

Koush

I still have nfi what NBHing is :p

My good luck; that the carrier replaced it under warranty. Reason given was that the mainboard is fried.
Wondering if any other users managed to have it replaced under warranty and what the reason given was ?
I'm sure the expensive paperweights would be an excellent tool for Koush or others to study what happened !!

Anyway, lets have another go and see where it takes us :p fingers crossed

i believe that you cannot do any manual flashing since the phone cannot go into bootloader..

jkoljo

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 18, 2009
Tampere
That is right. It is not possible to flash via PD98IMG.zip in bootloader as your phone does not seem to have bootloader at all.

I am hoping that we will get partitioning-disabled CWM soon in ROM Manager, so that new users do not brick their phones in their lack of knowledge.

If someone sees Scotty2, he might be interested in this. He had some theories about restoring bricked devices, mainly in the debugging/whatever state which we are able to access even in a (hboot) bricked device.

Mr_JMM

Aug 9, 2008
Camulodunum UK / Midwest U.S.
I see there's an update for ROM Manager but SD partitioning is still an option. Nothing in the details about this issue.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using the XDA Premium App.
---------------

caanda45

Sep 10, 2010
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Maybe one answer (not a permanent fix though) is that we tell people to use Rom Manager and to get CWM and once on the phone delete Rom Manager and go into recovery using the volume down button and power method or the using a advanced power method?

Actually on my Captivate Rom Manager was not used at all and encouraged not be used. We had a update zip with CWM in it and that was used to get into recovery for flashing the rom. It was suggested and encouraged to not use Rom manager. I think it is because of these very problems that are arising here on our DHD`s. Here is the link to FireFly 2.9 and it is at the end of post # 3 the update.zip file.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=914284

I am not sure of the politics here, but it seems Rom Manager is causing all these problems, if it was me as the developer I would have already disabled this feature to stop the threat of bricks as suggested by jkoljo. I for one will not be using Rom Manager only the portion of the program to get my phone into recovery mode only, and not through the program but the other two methods that I know how to do this as mentioned above.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bomster

blimpsrcool

Jun 18, 2009
Bricked DHD

I have also bricked my phone after cwm. I was excited at the time too because I had finally rooted it after 4 different memory cards were used to make a goldcard.. I just wanted and ext partition to store data on, not apps2sd. So I hastily chose to use rom manager and it's now dead. Spending a lot of time pressing this power button now just incase. And my network has no stock left of dhd's...

Still though I can't wait to get another one to start all this fun again :D

Whoa those specs are old!!
| | | |
v v v v

Bert2662

Mar 29, 2011
Penang
Thanks for the warning although I din partitioned it. But tmr j would be helping ny friend who is using HTC desire to partition his memory card. Will this issue affect other device too?

Sent from my Desire HD using XDA Premium App

jkoljo

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 18, 2009
Tampere
The problem is not in ROM manager but CWM.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

caanda45

Sep 10, 2010
Winnipeg, Manitoba
The problem is not in ROM manager but CWM.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

So partition SD card from Rom manager is okay? I still stand by my comments above that it is irresponsible to leave this functioning in CWM while it is bricking phones....One has a trust that these programs will not brick a phone..... just dumb actions by users should brick a phone.....Upsets me as something can be done by the developer now and to date nothing has been done and we still are bricking phones!!!!!!

Last edited:

majorassface

Aug 24, 2008
Toronto
Not to add any confusion but I was able to partition my sd card using CWM a few weeks back. I can't remember which rom I was on, either CleanDHD1.10 or ARHD 3.3. At the time I believe CWM was at 3.0.0.6 or whatever version was just before 3.0.0.6 but again I can't be 100% sure as it was about three weeks ago. I have a Telus version of the DHD, I ended up deleting the partitions on it later and just reverting back to a regular fat formatted sd card as I didn't see much benefit from it. I saw others have reported they were able to as well. Hmmmmm!?

Anyway best of luck to those that bricked their devices, I feel your pain. Can't imagine life without my baby even for a few hours let alone waiting on a replacement.

Mr_JMM

Aug 9, 2008
Camulodunum UK / Midwest U.S.
No, because ROM Manager is just a visual interface for ClockworkMod. When you issue a command in ROM Manager, it just tells ClockworkMod what to do :)

And that's why I was upset that today's update to ROM Manager still allows SD Card partitions.

Not impressed at all but as I don't know how long it takes to get an update on the market I will give the benefit of the doubt that this update was created prior to this issue surfacing and a new up date will be immanent.

Last edited:

BolecDST

May 4, 2009
Dublin
Good to know. I must be lucky, because I partitioned my sdcard once with CWM, but everything was fine. I don't remember which version of CWM was it. It was a month ago or so. Then I reverted back to normal, since I thought there's no point in having ext or swap.

dstenc

Feb 1, 2008
Zagreb
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
Again new version of ROM Manager (v4.1.0.0) but SD card partition option is still active and there is still the same CWM version.
Also, "what's new" text only gives info that some PayPal issues for licensing are fixed with new version.
It's sad that there is no at least some pop-up after starting to warn DHD users not to use partitioning option untill it's being fixed.

Last edited:

MegaHz

Jul 27, 2005
www.megahz.org
well it seems that more and more people appearing with bricked devices after partitioning their dhd through rom manager.

any idea anybody on how to unbrick?

Xtiro

Jun 30, 2007
What are the chances of a phone still working after using the buggy clockwork to repartition?

I have a friend who's phone is bricked - it turned off whilst he was using it normally. Yesterday he used clockwork to repartition his sdcard and it did boot, but today it suddenly died on him. We don't know if it's connected to this or not.

He was moving apps to the sdcard in the normal stock android way at the time too, although that doesn't use the same partitioning system as far as I know.

EDIT: In fact it's the post above mine ^

Last edited:

rorydaredkign

Jun 20, 2007
London
Sorry could be leading people down a dead path here, but can any of you with brickewd devices get into the mode where you hold wol up and power on, then it has the flashing orange light?
If so, might have a possibility of a solution. In this mode, if you install the right driver, you can get mtty to recognise the device as a com4 port so you might be able to flash stuff or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As the title says, do not partition SD card using ClockworkMod or ROM Manager.

There has been multiple bricked devices already, all after partitioning SD in CWM. The device suddenly turns off while the partitioning is in progress, and never turns on again. We do not know what causes this issue yet, but I am sure that ClockworkMod team will look into it.

Update:
    Looking into this. I don't have a DHD but I have an idea why this is happening.
    Update 2:
    I have a fix ready now. I will need to release a new recovery and new ROM Manager to address this.
    Update 3:

New ClockworkMod 3.0.2.6 and ROM Manager 4.1.0.0 are out! There has been multiple confirmations of the problem being fixed, but also ONE brick. So take the fix with a grain of salt.
    Ok............

This thread has been stickied by me in order to inform everybody about this situation.
    Do report if you have gone through this problem only...no more thanks or OT chatter, please.
    I'm in contact with the Mod team to investigate even further if this does affect any other devices as well.
    Please be patient and do not pollute this thread ;)

Cheers,

M_T_M

@jkoljo...thanks for your help on this very important matter.
    Wow, reviving old & obsolete threads is not cool. Please apply a little more common sense before posting.

Thread Closed.
    I will edit the topic to [FIXED] when someone confirms SD partitioning to be working. I believe that it is quite hard to find a person who is willing to test that..

edit: ok, confirmed!
    I have a fix ready now. I will need to release a new recovery and new ROM Manager to address this.