[WARNING] Google Music and Root [MEGA UPDATE--FIXED]

Search This thread

adrynalyne

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 13, 2008
It was mentioned earlier but, what I do is restore my "accounts/sync" with titanium backup.

That way you don't have to authorize the device each time.

Be sure to:

1. After backing up all apps and system data, then after flashing a new ROM on first boot, install titanium backup (pro or not) VIA APK
  2. Then run Titanium Backup and restore the accounts
  3. Then restore the google music app with DATA via Titanium Backup
  4. Then use the market and music like normal without any need for autorizing a new device etc..

As rooted users we have additional options.

Stock users are going to get backdoored without vaseline.

adrynalyne

Dec 13, 2008
Stock users are doubtfully gonna see this issue...unless they go through 15 devices a year.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Read the thread again.

People wipe data all the time. The authorization system is flawed. It treats the same device as multiple devices.

In fact, it doesn't even take a data wipe. Simply re-adding an email account will do it (if Google music is tied to it).

M

mentose457

Stock users are doubtfully gonna see this issue...unless they go through 15 devices a year.

What if they have it tied to a desktop, a laptop, a tab?

This just all around sucks. Google and their retardedness is retarded.

earlyberd

Mar 29, 2010
How come they can't already tell when I'm using the same device multiple times? It says right here in the Help documentation:

We may record device identifiers including your computer's MAC address or device identifiers such as IMEI or MEID for mobile devices in order to:
Authenticate your upload computers and/or authorized devices for offline access
Implement service limitations as described in the Additional Terms for Music on Google Play
Enforce certain security limits related to contractual commitments to content owners who license us music to sell
You can delete a device identifier when you wish to stop using and de-register that device.

The IMEI doesn't change no matter what ROM you're running, yet somehow I get another device added every time I flash. Something is seriously wrong with their authentication system.

adrynalyne

Dec 13, 2008
How come they can't already tell when I'm using the same device multiple times? It says right here in the Help documentation:

The IMEI doesn't change no matter what ROM you're running, yet somehow I get another device added every time I flash. Something is seriously wrong with their authentication system.

Agreed.

resynx

Jun 14, 2010
This is just ridiculous. Hope they do something about this soon.

ericshmerick

Apr 7, 2006
Totally idiotic restriction by Google. I have two Asus tablets and one Lenovo laptop I DON'T EVEN OWN ANYMORE on my account. Won't let me remove them.

Not good.

At least Microsoft's Zune lets you remove one device per month.

This blows. Time to get tech blogs involved, although I doubt it will do any good since the restrictions are to appease the record industry.

DRM is the worst thing ever.

adrynalyne

Dec 13, 2008
As long as they actually fix the identification of android devices, it will be a non-issue. I shouldn't have 6 instances of my phone listed..and yet, I do.

So no, this is a bug. This is not a legit restriction.

Last edited:

Amphibliam

Feb 28, 2011
I have not received an email from google still. This is absurd and is a major issue that really needs to be addressed.

@rbiter

Dec 4, 2011
Is it a major issue cause you just made this thread 3 hours ago and its still not fixed?

...of the people, by the people, for the people...

Amphibliam

Feb 28, 2011
No, it's a major issue right now, and will be widespread in the community in a month or two after EVERYONE reaches their limit. I didn't say it needed to be fixed this instant. Obviously, it would be nice, but not gonna happen. Hopefully they'll do something about it in the coming weeks. But thanks for trollin'.

T-Keith

Sep 9, 2010
Great I was wondering why I couldn't get mine to work today. I've had to deauthorize devices many times now. Wtf? How can I get it to work if I'm past first boot?

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using xda premium

Amphibliam

Feb 28, 2011
I haven't tried the guy's Accounts and Sync TB restore thing, as I don't have a backup, but you can give that a shot if you can. If not, you're kinda stuck bud. :/ Looks like you're #2. :(

Amphibliam

Feb 28, 2011
Well, for me and many other, it doesn't work. You can see the message that is shown on the first page.

GatorsUF

May 22, 2009
Sarasota, FL
Android Wear
OnePlus 8
I just deauthorized 6 or 7 devices today...no problem for me.

However if you are stuck try this:

Do nandroid backup
Then restore an old backup (hopefully you have one)
Once restored install Titanium backup or MyBackup
Backup the music app with data
Restore you new nandroid
Uninstall Music
Restore Music thru TiBu or MyBackup with data
profit

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

otakonx

May 29, 2009
This is bull$hit, Google

I'm having the same problem. I recently bought an HTC One X unlocked but it was defective so I sent it back to HTC. My replacement came and I received the too many devices error. When I tried to deauthorize my 3 Galaxy Tabs and two HTC Inspires I received the "too many deauth" error. So I can't even remove duplicate entries for the same device... This is utter bull$hit. I completely understand the 10 device limit but the deauthorizing limit is ridiculous. And it's even worse that Google doesn't track devices via unique ID like a serial number. It's almost like they've geared this towards users that root. First, no more NFC for root users and now this crap?! What the hell are they doing over there?

pilotbluemike

Oct 5, 2010
New York
count me in as a person who is now stuck with 10 authoized devices and no ability to deactivate any of them, since i've apparently gone over Google's poor judgement limit. This is ridiculous.. a limit on deauthorizing.. i mean come on, was to turn people away from using your services. I emailed Google and asked for a mannual deauth of all my devices... doubt they will respond, but it was worth a shot.. otherwise no Google Music on my phone until 2013. Just plain stupid.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you have root, then be careful. If you authorize 10 devices (different ROMs) to your Google Account, then you can't add any more. It used to be as simple as deauthorizing devices every time you reach you limit. As of now, you can only deauthorize 4 device PER YEAR. Be careful...I just had to reupload all my music to a different account because of this.

MEGA SUPER ULTRA EDIT: Google appears to have fixed the issue. Both Adrynalyne and I can now deauthorize devices. It still says the 4 device restriction applies, but seems to be fixed. YAY GOOGLE!
    It was mentioned earlier but, what I do is restore my "accounts/sync" with titanium backup.

Be sure to:

1. After backing up all apps and system data, then after flashing a new ROM on first boot, install titanium backup (pro or not) VIA APK
    4. Then use the market and music like normal without any need for autorizing a new device etc..
    Unfortunately, I don't think we're going to get a whole lot of sympathy from Google on this issue. After all, I don't really think they care about the 1% of us who flash custom ROMs to our devices. For the overwhelming majority of Android end users, this is a complete, total non-issue.

I just spoke to a google rep regarding this issue.
    I expressed my concern regarding the same device showing up multiple times. This happens working with aosp as well as flashing multiple custom roms...
    He immediately corrected the clone devices showing up and also offered to delete any other additional devices. then he "reset" my authorization list.

The rep told me they are working on the identifying so the devices don't show up repeatedly. If it goes by imei (which is the intention) then the limit of 4 devices a year is sufficient.

This still can be a problem for people doing reviews or testing/working with many new devices (aka Paul O'Brien) but the rep said that this can be taken care of very easily by contacting them.

Be sure to:

As rooted users we have additional options.

Stock users are going to get backdoored without vaseline.
    How does Google determine if your device is the same or not? Something in build.prop? If when flashing between ROMs we keep this value the same, your device would always appear to be the same. Problem solved.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

I think it has to do with how the app authenticates with your Google account. Each time you click "allow" on the prompt to allow the Music app access to your account counts as an activation.