• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[WARNING] Google Music and Root [MEGA UPDATE--FIXED]

Search This thread

abezapata

Jul 3, 2010
Davis, CA
Weird

I just deauthorized eight of the ten devices (one GS2 and one Cappy to my name) I had on my google music account without any issues. :confused::confused::confused: Does it matter which computer you use to try and deauthorize your devices? Just saying because I used my laptop instead of my desktop which is my primary system for accessing and uploading my google music.

Skippermark

Jan 15, 2012
How are you emailing or calling Google? I thought it was next to impossible to actually find customer support from them?

I don't have enough posts yet to post a link, so I had to have off the http part.

support.google.com/googleplay/bin/request.py?hl=en&policy=music&contact_type=contact_policy

Enter your info & they will call you back. I had a problem on the Android Market (when it was called that) a few months back, and they called back within minutes.

XSafire

May 5, 2009
Thought this was worth mentioning...

Earlier today when I read this post I tried deauthorizing my devices and indeed I had a message say that I ran out of deauths. I just tried it again hours later and I successfully accomplished removing all the duplicate devices.

Maybe google changed something due to the uproar?

floppy__

Jul 16, 2010
Montreal
Thought this was worth mentioning...

Earlier today when I read this post I tried deauthorizing my devices and indeed I had a message say that I ran out of deauths. I just tried it again hours later and I successfully accomplished removing all the duplicate devices.

Maybe google changed something due to the uproar?

Yes I think they changed, I tried this morning after reading the article and was not able to deauthtorize any of my phone (one phone multiple Roms) and I just tried back and was able to delete all the old images.

Really hope it's a fast reaction of Google

Last edited:

adrynalyne

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 13, 2008
Yes I thing they changed, I tried this morning after reading the article and was not able to deauthtorize any of my phone (one phone multiple Roms) and I just tried back and was able to delete all the old images.

Really hope it's a fast reaction of Google

I couldnt do it an hour ago, so yes I believe they have changed something (I can now). Good!

ften

Dec 3, 2009
New York
You could always just hack the APK to a static Android_ID from an already registered device's Android_ID (Which you can get from /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db) and a static Device name. Then it will recognize every install as a single device.;)

For the record I love apktools.

adrynalyne

Dec 13, 2008
You could always just hack the APK to a static Android_ID from an already registered device's Android_ID (Which you can get from /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db) and a static Device name. Then it will recognize every install as a single device.;)

For the record I love apktools.

Do you know for a fact that it is using Android_ID and not MEID/ESN?

Although, Android_ID is unique, no matter the rom. So it shouldn't matter.

Last edited:

nygmam

Oct 15, 2007
New York, NY
Wooo Hooo... I just went and deauthorized EVERYTHING. Now I will start fresh, without issues, and will always use the Titanium trick, until I know this is resolved... Thanks Google, for doing the right thing here!

LordGenki

Jan 24, 2011
Looks like a fast response from Google

I tried this earlier today and was unable to remove more than 3 duplicates. I just tried again and was able to remove the rest of my duplicates. It looks like Google saw the responses and made a change to their system.

Eloquence

Sep 4, 2007
Baltimore
I just deauthorized 5 devices! I couldn't do this about 2 hours ago when I first stumbled onto this thread. Seems like Google did something... THANK YOU :)

Either way, I am going to be careful and use TB to restore account whenever flashing ANY ROMS from now on.

Also, I am backing up my entire collection to Amazon! Just in case :D
-Elo

Teqonix

Jun 8, 2010
Denver, CO
Qfm96.png

What can i do about this situation then? My computer gets added as a new device every time I turn it on. The dates are in March as that's when I gave up on the de-authorizing and filling up the list every few days business.

Is this a work computer, by chance? You may have some sort of policy that clears out whatever authentication and identification token the Google Music application creates when you first authorize a computer. If an administrator has a group policy that clears out un-whitelisted temporary settings in your user profile, this could be the cause. (This is assuming you're on a windows machine at work.)

You can get around this by using Windows XP mode or a virtual machine and installing Google Music on that VM. A pain, but it should work.

tietherope

Aug 29, 2010
Toronto
Is this a work computer, by chance? You may have some sort of policy that clears out whatever authentication and identification token the Google Music application creates when you first authorize a computer. If an administrator has a group policy that clears out un-whitelisted temporary settings in your user profile, this could be the cause. (This is assuming you're on a windows machine at work.)

You can get around this by using Windows XP mode or a virtual machine and installing Google Music on that VM. A pain, but it should work.

It is a Windows machine, however it is my personal home computer. Thank you for the input though. Are there any settings on a personal computer you could think of that would cause this?

m-p{3}

Sep 26, 2010
I had one that I couldn't deauthorize this morning, and I just managed to remove it this afternoon. I guess Google heard about the complaint and swiftly acted upon it.

bgmikejr

Jun 8, 2011
Virginia Beach
www.facebook.com
I just called in and talked to them and while on the phone the rep told me they would send my info to have it investigated, when i hung up it let me remove all the ones I wanted de-authorized from my account totaling 8 so now i am good to go. they have just changed it I bet due to the high call volume cause I was on hold for 10 minutes or so.

nygmam

Oct 15, 2007
New York, NY
What ended up being the correct way? Was it app+data reinstall or move to system app?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA

I recently swapped Rom's and did a titanium backup and restore. I restored accounts prior to launching music, and had no issues. The date of activation was a November 2011 date which was the last full wipe I did pre flash. At the moment and until I can confirm otherwise, if you don't wipe your data, and just flash over a rom, as I do nightly, I don't think you have an issue. I should be able to confirm tonight when I flash again.

Sent from my CM9 HTC HD2 using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you have root, then be careful. If you authorize 10 devices (different ROMs) to your Google Account, then you can't add any more. It used to be as simple as deauthorizing devices every time you reach you limit. As of now, you can only deauthorize 4 device PER YEAR. Be careful...I just had to reupload all my music to a different account because of this.

MEGA SUPER ULTRA EDIT: Google appears to have fixed the issue. Both Adrynalyne and I can now deauthorize devices. It still says the 4 device restriction applies, but seems to be fixed. YAY GOOGLE!
    It was mentioned earlier but, what I do is restore my "accounts/sync" with titanium backup.

That way you don't have to authorize the device each time.

Be sure to:

1. After backing up all apps and system data, then after flashing a new ROM on first boot, install titanium backup (pro or not) VIA APK
    2. Then run Titanium Backup and restore the accounts
    3. Then restore the google music app with DATA via Titanium Backup
    4. Then use the market and music like normal without any need for autorizing a new device etc..
    Unfortunately, I don't think we're going to get a whole lot of sympathy from Google on this issue. After all, I don't really think they care about the 1% of us who flash custom ROMs to our devices. For the overwhelming majority of Android end users, this is a complete, total non-issue.

I just spoke to a google rep regarding this issue.
    I expressed my concern regarding the same device showing up multiple times. This happens working with aosp as well as flashing multiple custom roms...
    He immediately corrected the clone devices showing up and also offered to delete any other additional devices. then he "reset" my authorization list.

The rep told me they are working on the identifying so the devices don't show up repeatedly. If it goes by imei (which is the intention) then the limit of 4 devices a year is sufficient.

This still can be a problem for people doing reviews or testing/working with many new devices (aka Paul O'Brien) but the rep said that this can be taken care of very easily by contacting them.
    It was mentioned earlier but, what I do is restore my "accounts/sync" with titanium backup.

That way you don't have to authorize the device each time.

Be sure to:

1. After backing up all apps and system data, then after flashing a new ROM on first boot, install titanium backup (pro or not) VIA APK
    2. Then run Titanium Backup and restore the accounts
    3. Then restore the google music app with DATA via Titanium Backup
    4. Then use the market and music like normal without any need for autorizing a new device etc..

As rooted users we have additional options.

Stock users are going to get backdoored without vaseline.
    How does Google determine if your device is the same or not? Something in build.prop? If when flashing between ROMs we keep this value the same, your device would always appear to be the same. Problem solved.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

I think it has to do with how the app authenticates with your Google account. Each time you click "allow" on the prompt to allow the Music app access to your account counts as an activation.